“UNIMAGINABLY WONDERFUL”

Ranked #20 of 157 Restaurants in Puerto Morelos
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I've already submitted a lengthy review for this restaurant. It should be posted shortly.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

I was in P.M. with my mother and brother. This past year I became a widower and my younger brother became a single father. Nuf said. Needless to say, we had high hopes of enjoying our NYE but we just weren't in the mood. First came the waitress. Uncommonly pretty, as personable as one could wish a stranger, dressed impeccably, charming and passionate about her work. Soon, a very large table came in followed by some smaller parties. When she was busy, out came the bartender. Handsome, extremely friendly, intelligent, laid-back, from the states but he fit in perfectly. He informed us that the "waitress" was actually the owner. We just fell more in love with her. Enough with the people. The atmosphere. Honest to God, you wanted to put a big glass dome over this place so that nothing would change. Sitting on a patio, 70 degrees, never-ending ocean breeze (there's holes in this dome, lol), candles on the table (I think) and across the street, lit by a couple of warm street lights, slept the crafts market. Not all of the street lights have been switched over to those halogens(?) with their cold, stark, blue light that makes the most charming towns ugly. Okay, my brother and I are chefs. He's professional; I'm among the best of the amateurs. Now, if you've been to the local store, you know that choices are very limited. How they could make such a meal to make grown men weep? I say this with a little shame because they had such good competition, but ... the best meal I had the whole eight days I was there. Sambucca and espresso made for a WONDERFUL desert. Next time I'm bringing a lemon with me, though. You want this place, and the rest of the town, to be a well-kept secret. I sat next to a Canadian resident later that evening ... before I passed out on the pier ... but that's another story ... suffice it to say, they don't serve champagne for a NYE toast, they distribute tequila ... anyway ... so I told this man where we ate and he said, "Oh, I'm sorry." We had been having a nice conversation up to that point but I immediately subtracted myself from his company. Spaghettino's is a life-enduring memory for me and I look to return next year. It was the best way to welcome in the new year. Waking up on a wooden matress, next to your drunk buddy who doesn't speak English however ...

1  Thank John K
Reviewed February 15, 2012

We had heard strong recommendations to go to Spaghettino more than once during our stay in Puerto Morelos, and all the raves were completely accurate. Before we left to return to Canada this past weekend, we had visited repeatedly, trying to give ourselves as many chances as we could to sample a cross-section of the menu. Spaghettino specializes in Italian cuisine, particularly homemade pasts, and the whole team, from the chefs in the kitchen to the gracious servers out front delivers a perfect combination of relaxed elegance and astounding food (the owner Cristina and bartender Paul are very friendly, just great, even when the place is very busy). Over the course of three visits, we enjoyed pasta ("Pasta Tonne" was terrific), thincrust pizza ("Funghi" featured mushrooms and black olives), fresh salads ("Spaghettino" - spinach, mushrooms and grated parmesan cheese) and tasty desserts (the "Flan" was delicious, and so was the ice cream doused in Kahlua) - each were mouthwateringly great. One of the highlights was an appetizer "Carpaccio di Pesce" (sliced fish dressed with lemmon, caviar and extra virgin olive oil).

As night falls over Puerto Morelos, Spaghettino's warm light and inviting ambience provides the perfect envirnoment to match the quality of the food it serves. Thank you, Cristina and team.

Note: "Spaghettino" has an "h" but no "s" . . . we discovered that it exists in Tripadvisor in two places, both times with an "s", the other place with an apostrophe. If you want to read more reviews, check out the other Tripadvisor site "Spaghettino's"

1  Thank Out-of-Wolseley
Reviewed February 13, 2012

We'd heard about Spaghettino's more than once before we eventually went, and all the raving recommendations were completely accurate. Before we left Puerto Morelos, we'd visited repeatedly, trying to give ourselves as many chances as we could to sample a cross-section of the menu. Spaghettino's specializes in Italian cuisine, and the whole team, from the chefs in the back to the gracious servers out front, delivers a perfect combination of relaxed elegance and astounding food. Over the course of three visits, we enjoyed pasta ("Penne Tonno" was terrific) and pizza ("Funghi" featured mushrooms and black olives), fresh salads ("Spaghettino" - spinach, mushrooms and grated parmesan cheese) and tasty desserts (the "Flan" was delicious, so was the ice cream doused in Kahlua) - each were mouthwatering. One of the highlights was an appetizer - "Carpaccio di Pesce" (sliced fish dressed with lemon, caviar and extra virgin olive oil).

As night falls over Puerto Morelos, Spaghettinos' warm light and inviting ambience provides the perfect environment to match the quality of food it serves. Thank you, Cristina and team.

Reviewed February 1, 2012

My husband and I went to Spagettinos our first night in Puerto Morelos, knowing we would be eating a lot of Mexican food for the next week, we figured we would try something different to start out with.
I ordered the Penne Spagettino (Penne with diced tomatoes and basil) it was good, the boxed pasta was cooked correctly, but it was pretty bland.
My husband ordered the "house special" lasagna. Worst lasagna ever made, sold, or eaten! I'm not even sure why it is called lasagna...layers of limp noodles, with bechemel sauce (no riccota or tomato sauce in between) with the most bizarre tasting cinnamon/nutmeg meat "sauce/salsa stuff" on top we'd ever had.
My husband couldn't even stomach it and had to finish my dish.
We ordered the tiramisu for desert, hoping it would smooth everything over, because hey- tiramisu is tiramisu, you can't really mess that up!?
What showed up was a bowl with a shot of rum in the bottom, 1 lady finger and watery cream. Very soupy and unappealing.

Overall- don't waste your money.... I'm not sure who is writing all of these rave reviews, but perhaps the chef has changed and he is no longer italian, or has no experience with italian recipes.

The service was good, but the place was filled with ignorant Gringos, no Mexican locals- surely a bad sign .