“AMAZING time at Bonanza Ranch”
Review of Rancho Bonanza

Rancho Bonanza
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A unique and exciting way to get in touch of the true nature of the Mayan Riviera is on the back of a horse combined with a Cenote swim. We have healthy, well trained horses appropriate for first timers, novice and intermediate riders. Our tours are semi-private consisting of groups up to 12 riders, ensuring that everyone receives personal attention from our friendly, knowledgeable guides. We are located in a very convenient location between Cancun and Playa del Carmen. During the trail ride be ready to spot various species of birds, iguanas, butterflies and eventually spider monkeys and coatis; our guides will give you an interesting and entertaining commentary along the trails while you pass by a local plantation and follow the path that will lead you to visit a deep natural pit or sinkhole -characteristic of Mexico- resulting from the collapse of limestone bedrock that exposes groundwater underneath. We will then remount and head back to the ranch, where at the end of the ride you will be given an opportunity to take a refreshing swim in our open air Cenote and enjoy some cool refreshments.Private tours can be offered for advanced riders upon request.Please do not forget to bring bug spray, sunscreen, closed toe shoes , bathing suit & towel and be ready to enjoy a different way to spend your day. WIFI es available on site.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We loved our time at Bonanza Ranch! Please note that, although it say differently on the flyer, you do NOT ride on the beach anymore (per Mexican law). However, that didn't detract from the experience!!

We took about a two hour ride through the jungle, visiting cenotes, greenhouses, and taking in the gorgeous flora. Our tour guides, Tomas and Raoul, were not only friendly and funny, but they allowed us to do more than just walk the horses; we were actually able to trot and canter with the option of galloping in the corral (something that is hard to find in a standard ride in America). When we were finished with our ride, we took a swim in a cenote near the main ranch. The water was a bit murky and green, but it was so refreshing. The tour guides provided sweet and salty snacks, water, and a variety of soda (brought to us via donkey!)

SUGGESTIONS FOR FUTURE TRAVELERS:

-Bring bug repellant. I'm talking 100% deet here, people. They passed around a bottle of bug spray called "Bye Bye" which worked okay, but we still got eaten up.

-Don't forget SPF, two hours in sunlight is asking for a burn.

-Wear longer pants, at least capris. I made the mistake of wearing cotton shorts, and I had a nice chaff for the next couples days. For girls I suggest maybe wearing leggings.

-Bring your bathing suit and a towel so you can swim in the cenote!

-Bring along some extra cash to purchase the CD with your photos (and a short video of the group riding). For only $30 (a fraction of the usual price of touristy photos), we got all of the photos of my family of five, and they were wonderful.

Overall, this was our favorite excursion of the trip, which says a lot! I would definitely come back if and when I visit the Yucatan Peninsula again!!

3  Thank Katie H
in 8 reviews
"these guys"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our riding experience...my oldest daughter is an experienced rider and she was impressed with the beautiful Arabian she got to ride. They totally accommodate all different riding skill levels. 25 horses on site that are well cared for..clean and well maintained ranch! Great ride!

2  Thank Karin I
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My friend and I did this tour and it was amazing! The jungle was beautiful and to see the greenhouses and orchards was so neat! Our main guide, Carlos was super friendly and very funny. One of our other guides was a singer and he stranded us as we went along. I have some experience on horses so my horse was a little more spirited (his name was actually Spirit!) but my friend is a novice so her horse was much calmer. The were very concerned about safety which was good. Swimming in the pool after was also so nice! And the guides took our cameras and took lots of pictures, although we also bought the photographers CD after as well because it was only $20 for tons of amazing photos and a short video! Would totally do it again and highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in riding in Cancun!

1  Thank Alexa W
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My husband and I were at our honeymoon in Riviera Maya for a week and wanted to do an excursion but not one of those all-day trips. We picked the horse riding because it seemed fun and wasn't incredibly long. We had a great time. Raul was very nice and everyone was very personable. It was my first time riding a horse and we had a lot of fun. An added bonus too was that they brought us to a sinkhole to swim in--which was really cool as well. I would definitely recommend going on this excursion.

1  Thank Leah P