“Had fun, But!”

Lake Worth, FL
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Had fun, But!”
Reviewed June 13, 2012

The Good- Pretty good price, we paid $70 a person. The fact that we had a photographer with us was pretty cool and $40 for a CD with all the pics wasn't a bad deal. The zip lines, ATV's, and Canote was all fun.

The Bad- It's pretty rinky dink. We walked out of the gates of the resort and there were several drivers from other tour groups waiting and ours was th only one not wearing anything that would lead a person to believe he worked for this tour group. Once at the park, I asked for water after the zip lines and was told it will be here in 20 minutes. The ATV's are beat to hell. We had to wait around for a few minutes while the guides fixed a flat tire on one of them. When we were ready to go, my wife asked if she should put on sun block, since there was very little instruction on what was to come. Luckily she did, as she is a red head, because the entire ATV ride is in the sun. No complaints at the Canote, lots of fun. The "snack or lunch" was some cut up fruit, which was tasty but the fact that they asked us if we wanted chinese food, pizza, of fruit for lunch was a little weird.

Over all, we had alot of fun during the tour, but, I would not go back there because of the lack of organization and old ATV's, which could end up being dangerous.

Visited June 2012
3 Thank Talidog

• Finnish first
Newcastle, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fantastic day with the family.”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We visited Gorilax last year and are going back to Mexico so we can go again. We are a family of 6, including kids from 9 yrs to 17 yrs, all of whom thought it was the best excursion they had ever been on. quads through the jungle, prepare to get wet and dirty as you splash through the puddles, but fanastic fun. Then arrived at the cenote which was scarey but we all jumped apart from my 9yr old as I thought it was a bit too high for him. Then back on the quads, a lovely lunch of a sandwich, crisps and drinks then on to the zip wires. Having read a previous post about the poor family that were involved in an accident, we felt very safe and thought the guys leading us adhered to all safety issues. We were there in Sept 2011, so I can only assume after that accident safey regs had been triple checked. We arrived back at hotel filthy, tired but on a fantastic high. Barter with the kiosk on 5th avenue, we got the youngest child free. Can't wait to go back this Aug.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank SolarWashington
Fort McMurray
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Gorila X - fun time - disappointment at home!”
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Not sure if I would have gone to GorilaX if I had checked out these reviews first, fortunately the safety issues that have been major for some were never apparent to us.
We went as a group of 5 ladies (2 of which were teenagers) and even though 2 of our party had to be tlked into the excursion we all quiet enjoyed it. We were staying in Playa del Carmen so it was quiet a long drive but we left at 10 in the morning so we had no issues with lighting at the end of our trip.
When we finally arrived after the very bumpy trip down the new dirt "road" into the site we were greeted by our guide who stayed with us during the entire trip. Yes the bathrooms were "RUSTIC" but you are in the middle of the bush in Mexico! I have just learned on vacation to these countries to bring hand sanitizer and a small pack of kleenix with me at ALL TIMES. LOL!! Pretend you are camping - if you cant handle it take a shopping tour instead people!
The young bartender CHAD was very friendly and set us up with drinks and lockers for our things. The guides helped us all suit up and we joined an additional 3 people for our safety lesson. The one guide hopped onto a low demonstation zip line and proceeded to explain how to sit, glide and break. He was adamant that at NO TIME should we ever clip or unclip ourselves from any line - THE GUIDES WERE TO HANDLE THIS.
We headed out to the first tower 8 of us on the tour and FOUR GUIDES, one of whom would also handle the photography.
We did 10 zip lines and really enjoyed it. The first one was a bit scarey but we always felt safe and had alot of fun. Some of the stands were kind of cramped with all of us manouevering aside to keep 2 guides ahead and 2 guides behind us.
Afterwards we headed back to camp to move on to the ATV tour. This part of the excursion needs some tweaking but they are new and hope to add trails right from base camp soon. We had to go by van back to where the ATVs were, again we took the same 4 GUIDES. We hopped on the ATVs which while older seemed to be in good working order. They made sure we all had helmets and demonstrated gear shifting and then off we went. Again pretty rough trail but fun and a beautiful cenote to swim in at the end. Again our guides showed concern for safety by asking everyone if they needed a life jacket - they seemed surprised when all of us declined and kept asking if we could swim! LOL!
Back to the van by ATV, then van ride back to base camp for lunch of hamburgers, fries and a pop. Cold yes but even the 2 fussy teenage girls ate it so couldn't have been too bad :)
Here is the only bad part of the experience. They showed us the photos and videos that the guide took which were pretty good so of course we bought the CD. Unfortunately the CD WAS BLANK! They did however give me a card with an email "in case there were issues with the CD", sadly no one replied. Oh well. Live and learn! I suggest you check the CD before you leave or you too will be out $50 and have no photos either!

6 Thank Milo2548
Calgary, AB
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“A must go!”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Brillant! Loved the tropical aspect and would recommend it to visitors.

San Diego
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“This place ruined my vacation - Horrific experience!”
Reviewed December 30, 2011

What was supposed to be a one-hour ATV ride, turned into all day miserable experience for me and my family.

BOOKING THE TOUR

- Booker changed our tour three times during the week. We originally signed up for horseback riding and ATV riding. On day 1, he told us to come back 30 min later for pick up after the tour was booked. We arrived and he told us there was a 20 min delay. We waited at a nearby restaurant and after 20 min, he came to get us and told us the tour couldn’t be booked for today. We changed the date to Christmas Day, which he assured us they would be open. We then booked an additional tour for the day to go jet-skiing, which turned out fine.

- On Christmas morning, the booker cancelled our horseback riding and he booked us for ATV rides only. We agreed, but had to wait an additional 30 min for pickup. We had about 8 other adults in the van for the tour.

GORILAX TOUR

- The place was not really open for business. Only a handful of operators were there, as well as two cars of their family members.

- The bathrooms were not operable. No water was running to them so you couldn’t flush the toilet or wash your hands. They ran out of toilet paper.

- No drinks were offered or available.

- No food was at the site.

- It took about 1.5 hours to get us going on the one-hour ATV ride.

- The ATV ride was decent. We went blazing through the jungle full throttle and stopped occasionally for our tour guide to take his pictures. I would have preferred to stop along the way to take in some sites and get to know more about the jungle.

- After our ride, the other group departed on their ATV ride. They were ziplining and went to the water hold while we were riding. It was just before dusk when they departed. Our tour guide offered us to go ziplining as well on 11 lines. I declined but the other 3 adults with me decided to go. After two lines, the other female returned. She said that she felt unsafe since there was only one operator along.

- The generator supplying lights to the waiting area went dead. The family waiting for the operators got into their two cars and left. We now noticed that the van driver was gone also.

- My husband and son returned and wondered why we were in the dark. I told him that the generator had stopped, the people had left and the van driver was gone. He was looking for our guide and he had disappeared also. By now it was dark and there was no one around. We in the jungle, in the dark, with threats of jaguars running about (and who knows what other wild animals) and no one from the tour company. We used our phones to provide us with our only lights. After an hour like this, two people finally appeared and went into the jungle to work on the generator. He would appear now and then, but he was so focused on working on the generator, he barely acknowledged us and wouldn’t give us any straight answers. We wanted to know how long we would be there, where the driver had gone to. My husband inquired about the other tour group riding ATVs in the dark and the guy said it wasn’t a problem since the ATVs all have lights.

- After two hours in the dark, the van driver reappeared and other tour group returned. Only two of their ATVs (ridden by the guides) had lights. The rest had ridden in the dark, which they didn’t seem happy about.

- At 6:45 we finally piled into the van and noticed a case of Corona in the back. Other tours offered beverages during the ride, but this case just sat unopened.

- We arrived back to our hotel after an exhausting, frustrating day!

- The next day, my husband we to talk to the booker. They were closed. He called them and told them about our experience. They cursed at him and told him he was a liar. He agreed to meet my husband at an agreed up time and the guy never showed.

BOTTOM LINE

- Tour booker lied! He’s friendly to get your money, but can’t deliver. He’s located directly across the Riu Palace Las Americas Hotel. See my two photos where they set up shop. Stay away if you don’t want to be ripped off!

- Unsafe operation! During the zip line, they only had one operator. My husband had to clip and unclip himself to/from the line. During our Selvatica Zip Lining (the most awesome experience!!!!!), they had operators sending and receiving people on the lines the safe way.

- We wasted our entire Christmas Day with these people! A one-hour ATV ride should not have taken an entire day.

8 Thank HonestyMeAgain