7,384 results
All reviewsworld cafeplunge poolpreferred clubseaside grillel patioswim up barkids clubfrench restaurantexplorers clubcoco cafeoceana restaurantocean viewpaellawedding coordinatorfamily vacationdestination weddingmaster suite
Reviewed January 31, 2011

My wife and I just returned from Dreams Riviera. We were there from 1/23 through 1/30. First, the rooms at this hotel are fantastic. We absolutely loved it. It is a unique design and for us it worked perfectly. It's the one thing about the resort that may not work well for families however. The food was ok. We enjoyed lunches at Oceanic and the Seaside Grill, although, they both have the exact same menu, so don't be fooled into thinking they are two different restaurants. They are not. The best restaurants for us were Portofino and Himitsu. My advice would be always go to dinner right at 6pm when the restaurants open. If you don't you will wait and it will be a long wait. Sometimes 1 hour to 2 hours. However we never had any issues when we showed up right at 6pm. The pools here are fantastic. The hot tubs are great too. The beach leaves some to be desired. If you are a true beach person, this is not your place. If your idea of a great beach is the normal clear water and waves of the beach in Cancun, then the beaches in Riviera Maya are not your beaches. This beach has a ton of sea weed. They do a great job keeping it off the beach itself, but you can't go very far into the water without being totally immersed in sea weed. The staff here are great. We found everyone to be friendly and very helpful. Beware the time share garbage. Do what we did, just pay the guy lip service during check in to get it over with and don't show up for the timeshare promo unless that is really your thing. Also watch out for the timeshare guys who look official in the Cancun airport! They are not official anything. We had never been to Cancun before and we payed the guy $60 for his tour and agreed to take it on Wednesday. Then I read about the 3 hour high pressure sales pitch people were put through. Rather than waste our time with that we just chalked up the $60 to a rookie mistake and stayed at our resort. At the airport do not stop for anyone inside the airport. Go directly to your ride outside the airport! All in all we had a great time at this resort. Next time however, we'd choose on close to Cancun where there is shopping and some night life and true white sandy beaches with nice clear blue water and no seaweed.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tigrompy
Reviewed January 30, 2011

The Service at the Hotel was excellent but when checking in, we were not impressed with the attitude of the desk personnel. They were not up beat and provided us with very little information, the Carribean night buffet and show was moved inside. We arrived at 4:00 P.M. and were never told it was moved inside, or where it was gone to be located. A nice woman from Texas tried to help us find a restaurant but the only one we could get a table at was the Mexican, while we were eating she came in advised us that she found the location of the show and it was in the ballroom. By the time we finished eating the show was almost over.
The room was absolutely gorgeous, we were upgraded to a plunge pool room, with a Jacuzzi in the room. We were on the first floor with a view of the ocean and the beautiful gardens. Although being there in January the water was cold in the plunge pool, its not heated, we did sit with our feet in it and soaked up the sun. My companion enjoyed the Jacuzzi after a day of snorkeling almost everyday and found it very relaxing. I think this is the most beautiful room I have ever stayed.
We did a 6 Apple Square Deal and this is the resort we were sent. We stayed last year at the Bahia Principe Tulum and loved it. The guys wanted to return to the same resort but the ladies wanted to try something different so we tried the square deal.
The location was close to the airport but we have stayed further from the airport so that was not a priority for us. If you are staying for a short visit this may be a plus but we normally stay for a week.
The thing we liked best about the resort was the room, the property, and the daily entertainment. We totally enjoyed the entertainment staff, especially Miguel, Caesar, and Oscar they made our trip very pleasant and fun. The drink service at the pool and bars was excellent. My companion enjoyed the snorkeling at the reef, he said it was very good and the fact you can get a boat right on the beach and they would take you out with a guide for $20.00 to $25.00, it was according to who you talked to. We walked into Puerto Morellas on the beach and it took about 40 minutes, but we took our time. If you did it at a faster pace I'm sure you could do it quicker.
The thing we disliked about the resort was the fact that you couldn't make reservations at the restaurants and if you didn't go to the restaurants when they opened you could have a 1 to 1 ½ hour wait. We missed several shows because we were eating at that time. We would of went to the buffet but the selection was minimal {we went in and checked it out a few times to see what the were offering] and we never seen more then 4 or 5 tables occupied at one time. Since you can eat at restaurants every night I guess they don't put to much in to their buffet but we have been to resorts with lower Apple ratings that had much better buffets with a carving station and more. It was your only option for breakfast although they do serve breakfast and lunch by the pool at the Oceanic and Surf Side restaurants but we found the days we went for breakfast it was not open but we did have lunch at the restaurant, it was very good. We also had lunch at the bare foot restaurant by the pool and they had good fast food. I can't really comment on the lunch in buffet because we never ate there, the breakfast was adequate but nothing to rave about.
The entertainment at night was mostly geared around children, they had a cowboy, clowns, Magician. They had some adult entertainment in the lobby but we missed a lot of it because our beeper would call us for dinner and by the time we got out from dinner it was over. We enjoy the evening shows and found little to do in the evening. The food was good in the restaurants, we liked the Oceanic, Portifino, Japanese and the Mexican, we did not particularly like the French, the seafood was under cooked. If the buffet had a better selection we may of eaten in the buffet so we could make the shows, we missed Carribean night and circus night but probably really didn't miss anything since the shows were all geared for children and families.
Would I stay there again, lets put it this way I would not pick this hotel since the adult entertainment was lacking and we did not like the no reservation policy because in order for us not to wait, [my companion hates to wait to eat] we started to get to the restaurants when they opened which was 6:00 PM most nights which made us feel more rushed, if you were to get there a few minutes late you would have to wait an hour to an hour and half.
All and all we made the best of it and did end up having a Great time. It would probably be a Great resort for families.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2011

My wife and I and our 2 boys (ages 5 and 9) travelled to Dreams Riviera Cancun from Jan 13-20. Let me start by saying that my wife and I are well travelled and this is our 5th trip to The Mayan Riviera in the last 6 years. We have previously stayed at the Barcelo Maya, The Grand Palladium, Sandos Caracol and last year was Dreams Puerto Aventuras. We love the area and keep getting drawn back.

We loved our trip to Dreams Puerto Aventuras last year and only had a few small complaints mainly due to the smaller size of Dreams Puerto Aventuras, so we wanted to try another Dreams.

Flight- we flew Sunwing which was fine and uneventful.

Check in- I had contacted the Concierge prior to our arrival and requested a higher floor and much to our delight we got a free upgrade to "Preferred Status" in building 1 on the 3rd floor. We were immediately taken to the preferred lounge where we had some drinks and had a very pleasant check in with no wiat what so ever.

Room- We were in room 1306 and loved it! We had a view of the Ocean and Beach from our beds and were close to all the action as well. The rooms are stunning, the beds are comfortable (although a little small as I am 6'4" and my wife is 5'11"). We didn't find any privacy issues although it may be more of an issue with older kids. We actually found the rooms to be nice and quiet, so unless you are sleeping until noon I don't see the issue, we were never woken up at night by any noise.

Grounds- i would call this a medium sized resort. It is big enough that there is lots to do but not so big that it is overwhelming like some mega resorts. The grounds are immaculate and very beaultiful. There is something here for everyone during the day, from quiet areas to relax to the energy of the activity pool.

Pool area- We spent a lot of time around the pools and at least 1 day around each of them. They are all pretty close together so it is really your preference. The infinity and kids pools seemed to be the busiest but we never had a hard time getting a lounge chair at any one. Our kids loved the infiniti pool with the multi depths.

Beach- The Beach is beautiful and you can walk for miles in either direction. The seaweed is cleaned up twice a day so it is really not an issue.

Staff- The staff are all very friendly and they try to make your stay as enjoyable as possible, you really feel like you get to know them by the end of a week and many knew my name after just a few days. There is no requirement to tip but they are great and we happily did.

Activities- We played Volleyball most days either in the pool or on the beach, my wife and oldest son played bingo as well. The staff were a lot of fun and energetic without being annoying. We did notice that there was no tramploine or iceberg in the ocean (as advertised). The other Dreams did have both of these. I must say even though the kids were expecting these, they didn't notice they were missing until our last day so no big deal. (They should remove it from pictures etc if they aren't going to have it though). I also swear I saw somewhere that there were Tennis courts but that was not the case.

Restaurants- The food was fantastic once again. We ate at all of them but the French and we enjoyed them all. Nice to get real steaks and shrimp at a resort. The Paella at lunch each day was also amazing. Really liked the Oceana for dinner and the Japanese was fun as well. We found the buffet to be great for breakfast with lots of choice (not sure what more you could want, they had cereals, yogurt, various breads and jams, 3 egg stations for fried or ommelettes, bacon, sausage, pancakes, french toast as well as traditional mexican dishes). Tons of choice. We even went there one night for dinner and it was great.

Night life- The shows are definitely geared towards families and this is definitely NOT A PARTY PLACE. That is one of the reasons we love this area, we are in our early 40's with young kids and have no interest in staying in a place with a bunch of drunk 19 year olds, if you want that go to Cancun! the shows were interactive and a lot of fun from what we saw (some nights we just went to the lobby or walked around the resort).

Trips- Since we have been to this area a lot we have already done a lot of trips. This time we only went to Crococun on an overcast morning. It was lots of fun for the the whole family and great if you like animals. Best of all it is really close.

Kids Club- Our younger son absolutely loved the kids club and went for at least a bit on most days. Our older son went for specific things (Rock climbing, video games, ice cream eating contest, movies) and really enjoyed it as well.

Overall this was easily our favourite resort in Mexico or otherwise. We have never returned to a resort but this may be the one that brings us back. If not we will definitely go to another Dreams!!!

We love having no wrist bands, no towel cards, no reservations for dinner (we never waited more than 10 mins fyi).

For us it is the best of both worlds. There is a ton of stuff for the kids to do without it feeling like Disney World. Dreams still have a classy feel to them without making you feel like your kids can't touch anything. The one thing I would say is if I was coming without kids and did not want to be around them, I may not go to a Dreams as there are quite a few kids at the 2 we have been to.

This is a fantastic resort and I would recommend it to anyone, especially those with kids!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank TE3636
Reviewed January 24, 2011

We just returned from a stay with our 22 year old daughter and 12 year old son and had the best time. Everything was great. The room was clean and comfortable. The layout is a little unusual and there are some privacy challenges, but overall it suited us fine. We spent most of our time on the beach, which was beautiful with soft white sand and crystal blue water. The seaweed is managed with twice daily clean up. There was never a problem finding a lounge chair or a waiter to bring drinks. The vanishing edge pool area was a bit more crowded and the pool bar busy at times, but you could usually get a seat and drink pretty easily. We enjoyed the food in all the restaurants we dined at. We did not get to Bordeaux (the french restaurant) which does not allow children. It was not an issue, but since there were so many other options we just never made a point to get there. Our first night we had a half hour wait for Portofino (the italian restaurant). They gave us a beeper and we went to the lounge to have drinks until our table was ready. In order to sit at the hibachi tables at the Japanese restaurant you just show up at 5 and wait on line (there were 4 other people there when we went) to make your reservation. No big deal. We had lunch two days at the Seaside Grill which was perfect overlooking the pool/ocean and one day at the buffet which was just ok. Only the buffet was open for breakfast and we ate there every day. It got a bit boring, but was fine as we were anxious to get down to the beach anyway. The weather was picture perfect... sunny and 75 - 80 everyday although we heard that there were a few rainy days the week before. We lucked out. We brought about $400 in small bills for tipping. We left $2-3 for breakfast buffet, about $5 for lunch and $10 for dinner. At the beach we tipped between $2-5 for drinks delivered to our lounge chairs. The staff is excellent, hardworking and very friendly. They truly added to a wonderful experience. We would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Lorraine527
vespinoza99, Manager at Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2011

I sincerely appreciate your note expressing your satisfaction with the quality of service you received as a guest at the Dreams Riviera Cancun.

Your kind words serve to encourage all of us at Dreams Riviera Cancun Hotel and Resorts to strive even harder to make all your stays with us as enjoyable and pleasant as possible.

Rest assured that I will share your note with our dedicated staff for Them to know that you have recognized their efforts.

Again, thank you for your kind words. You are indeed very thoughtful.

Reviewed January 23, 2011

My wife and I just got married at the Dreams Riviera Cancun resort. We went down there with 25 people to celebrate our special day. We couldn't be more pleased with this hotel and the whole wedding process.

Wedding: For anyone looking to get married here, I would highly reccomend it. We got the Ultimate wedding package, which was worth the extra money. At first we were a little nervous when trying to email back and forth with the wedding coordinator, Ana, because we would go weeks without getting a response. So not knowing things ahead of time was a little stressful. However, a few weeks before our wedding she sent alot more emails and we got a lot of things taken care of but I would say to keep emailing them no matter what. Once we arrived we had a meeting with her and we were able to double check things and change some things.

If you don't want to dish out the money for a dance floor ask for your reception to be on the pool deck in front of infinity pool. You're right on the beach and you have a huge dance floor. We got married on the beach which was so much nicer than the gazebo. It was a lot more private but you'll still have people watching you. Tip: get married around 4ish, alot less people around. The gazebo weddings where nice but unless you want a hundred spectators watching you and kids splashing and yelling in the pool right next to you along with the entertainment staff playing music a hundred feet behind you than don't get married at the gazebo. If you have any questions about the wedding, please feel free to contact me.

Rooms: We stayed in the master suite only b/c it was a special week for us. The room was amazing. The cleaning service did a great job everyday and you always had everything restocked and cleaned. It was so roomy and had jacuzzis inside and outside. However, the outside jacuzzi didn't work but the room was still great. The stock your room with beverages everyday both alcoholic and nonalcoholic and they give you snacks. If you are planning on going for your honeymoon or wedding definitely book a preferred club room. There are great advantages in doing so. You get free internet, quick check in in a private section of the resort, and in the preferred club lounge you can eat a private breakfast in the morning and you can go for appt's at night along with premium alcohol like Crown Royal, Grey Goose, etc....
Some people on here have been complaining about the noise level or hearing people move furniture and personally we only heard someone move something above us once and it really wasn't a big deal. You're in paradise, you shouldn't be in your room to complain about things. It was always quiet at night, ALWAYS!

Restaurants: The food at this resort was amazing!! We didn't have a bad meal at any of the restaurants. I felt that I was eating at a five star restaurant every night. If you like soups then you'll love eating at these restaurants( Bordeaux, Seaside Grill) They give you these little soup samples in a little tea cup before your meals. Everyone always says that the beef in Mexico isn't great quality and I have been to Mexico a number of times and all the beef I have ever eaten was not even close to being good. However, the steak at any of the restaurants was as good as any steak that you would get in any great steak house in the U.S. *******I know I am making the food sound superb but it was really good we were never disappointed but........the only thing that I have a complaint about was that about 6 people in our group and one of them being my wife got sick after eating at the Bordeaux restaurant, which is french cuisine. The food was out of this world but obviously something was not prepared properly leaving this many people sick the following day and all the people ate the restarant on different nights.

Oh just a friendly tip....you have to try the coconut ice cream!!!!!!!!!! It's probably the best ice cream I ever ate!! haha I must of eaten it everyday twice a day.

Drinks: When you order your drinks always be specific with your order. Never say can I have a rum and coke.. tell them you want a Bacardi and Coke. If you don't you'll get the cheap well alcohol. If you like shots then you need to try the Bumble Bee shot...they're awesome!! Oh I almost forgot. If you a preferred club member then you can get the super premium alcohol at some of the bars outside of the preferred club lounge but you have to ask for it b/c they hid it in the coolers. I found this out towards the end of my trip. You have to tell them you are a preferred club member and watch them pour it b/c they will still try to give you the crappy alcohol even after you told. them. For instance they have Grey Goose vodka hidden, so ask for it!!!

Spa: We went to the spa one time but it was really nice. The facilities there are great and even after your massage or facial you can come back anytime for the rest of day to use the saunas, massage pools, or hot tub, which we thought was really nice b/c its so peacefully and a great way to get away from the noise and crowds around the pool areas.

Overall, we had a very pleasant time there and the staff were so nice and always willing to help you. Our wedding went off without a hitch and we couldn't have asked for anything more other than my wife and friends getting a stomach bug for one day. The weather was great everyday even though they said it was supposed to rain all week, so don't worry if the weather isn't looking great before you go.

I hope this review helps settle your nerves if you're planning a wedding there and PLEASE feel free to contact me with any questions!!

• Stayed: January 2011
7  Thank Hetrick

Please let me know in advance whenever you will be staying with us again, so that I may personally welcome you and make sure everything is to your complete satisfaction.

Again, thank you for your kind words. You are indeed very thoughtful.