I am a bit obsessive, so I spent literally an hour or two an night for three weeks to decide upon our first family vacation (we have a 2-year old boy) and was well-rewarded settling upon Dreams' newest property in the Riviera Maya. To provide some context, I'm married to a Brazilian and both of us have travelled all over the world in many luxury hotels (One & Only, Mandarin Orientals, Peninsulas, Burj al Arab, Chateau Les Creyeres, Le Chevre D'Or, etc.). We had been tentative at going for the all-inclusive, but with a new home purchase and young child entering private school, we thought we'd try it out! For us, it was more about a simple trip in an affordable luxurious all-inclusive (which are few and far between).
The inside tip I found through research was to go through Dream Makers Vacation Services and Mike McHugh, who was fantastic. We paid for the cheapest room at the cheapest price on a random internet site through Dream Makers and Mike worked hard to make sure we could get the rate and all the benefits, including a free upgrade. His service was very professional and had a special personal touch as well waiting for us in the room! We arrived in Cancun and only 30 minutes later, were at the hotel (we loved the American Express pick-up service).
The Dreams Riviera resort is brand new and has fantastic facilities and restaurants. We were automatically upgraded to the Preferred Club Ocean View Suite with a Jacuzzi on the balcony and an amazing view of the beach from the 4th floor. Mind you, this was after paying for the cheapest room with a jungle view! What a start to the vacation. Mike has made me a new believer in using a specialized travel agent and I will absolutely go back to Mike the next beach vacation I schedule!
The room was brand new, modern, with plenty of space and an uber-cool feel, considering it was an all-inclusive resort. While our 2-year old son wasn't very excited about the fancier restaurants, even the more modest restaurants had good food we took advantage of room service many lunches so our son could quickly nap. Room service was average, but we were very happy it was available and quick! The Preferred Club service was fine, but not something we really took advantage of while at the resort other than a few drinks and internet.
The pools were really great and gave many options to families and couples as there were pools of varying depths and themes (swim-up bar infinity pool, kids shallow pool, etc.). There were plenty of chairs around the pools, however, the palapas around the pool were usually taken by 7:30am.
The beach was very nice with plenty of palapas (usually available until around 9am), but could get quite hot - the beach bar was a necessity! Swimming in the water was fine, although there was a good amount of seaweed (the hotel did a great job cleaning it up every day and leaving a pristine beach view). There were plenty of activities, although we did not partake in many - my wife did venture to the spa facility, which was quite nice.
Of the restaurants, we enjoyed the Oceana and Seaside Grill immensely (better suited for younger children) and Ernano was fantastic and great fun - he'll remember the "Manly Man" tequila shot! Himitsu was fine (sushi average, but what do you expect?), but we didn't get to experience the nicer restaurants (El Patio, Bordeaux, and Portofino - maybe next time!).
While we could not use the Kid's club as our son was too young, we did set up for babysitting one evening and one of the employees of the Kid's Club took great care of our son and was linked up by walkie talkie (and we could have a buzzer, if we had wanted it). This was fantastic and we would have done this most nights!
Overall, a tremendous value for a 5-day vacation in August. It was just perfect for a young family, although we hope to be able to enjoy it more as our son grows older! Thanks again to Dream Makers Vacation Services' tremendous travel agent, Mike McHugh!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The luxurious Dreams Riviera Cancun takes its personality from its incredible location — just 30 minutes from the "hot" excitement of Cancun yet right on the "cool" Caribbean close to Playa del Carmen and many other of the Mayan Riviera’s most sought after sights. Most importantly, it is an enchanting wonderland where families, couples, singles and friends enjoy all the pleasures and privileges of Unlimited-Luxury® where everything is included. Your whole being will relax immediately, surrounded by our large sun-dappled swimming pools and a sugar white sand beach. To this, add lush tropical gardens and of course, our fabulous palm-filled beach. Your day and evening activities range from exciting to purely relaxing — with plenty to do for everyone including endless land and water activities, a world-class Dreams Spa by Pevonia and fitness center, nearby golf and much more. "Home" features the uniquely shaped octagonal room or suite, beautifully appointed with a private balcony, marble floors and full marble bath area with Jacuzzi tub and dozens of other luxury amenities and conveniences that anticipate your desires and fulfill them instantly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort And Spa
- Dreams Riviera Cancun Hotel Puerto Morelos
- Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Morelos