7,456 results
All reviews world cafe plunge pool preferred club seaside grill el patio swim up bar kids club french restaurant explorers club coco cafe oceana restaurant ocean view paella wedding coordinator family vacation destination wedding master suite
Reviewed February 13, 2010

My boyfriend and I just got back from a 5 night stay at DRC and are very pleased! We have been to different resorts in the past and this by far tops them all!

The service was exceptional and the staff was very accomodating and friendly! It was nice to be remembered at different bars and restaurants and the bar tenders know what you want to drink just from meeting them once or twice. Eric was our favorite! :) Eduardo was also one we will not forget! He was very entertaining and energetic! Lots of fun...BEACH VOLLEYBALL! :)

Our room (an oceanview on the 5th floor) was beautiful and super clean. We had our rooms cleaned everyday and it was a delight to come back from a day of sun, relaxation, drinking and dining to a fresh room-just like it was when we first arrived. (That is a big thing for me cause at home I am constantly cleaning and can only relax in a fresh/non cluttered house-to have it done for me, and to my liking, was a major plus!)

I am pretty sure we ordered room service every night of our stay. That was a nice way to end an evening!

The pools were clean and beautiful! Our favorite was the infinity pool! Awesome view! Got tons of pictures of this!

We spent one afternoon at the spa and got a couples massage. It was fantastic! Would do again!

We were here for the super bowl. They went above and beyond for this event! 2 huge screens set up on the beach with lounge chair stadium type seating! A huge spread of food and a massive tub (it could've been a big boat) filled with a variety of beer and of coarse the bartenders were down on the beach doing a great job fullfilling everyones drinking needs! I am glad we got to watch the superbowl at DRC!

We saw a couple nightly shows. The first night at the sports bar there were 2 comedians doing an act and I had enough liquid courage do get up and participate in their show (If anyone reading this was there that evening I am "Drunken Patty'! HA) It was a fun night!

I would highly recommend this resort to everyone! Very much worth the money! Unlimited luxury is the way to go! Don't just take my word for it tho...go see for yourselves! :)

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Shatty9
Reviewed February 13, 2010

We've been trying to vacation twice a year in Mexico, and every time we go the deals and conditions just keep outdoing the last trip. My wife and I had experienced Dreams before and knew they put on a 4-star stay, no matter where you chose. The Riviera Cancun location, though only 4 months old and still ironing out the kinks, was everything we expected and more.
Our room was smallish, and though we tried to upgrade to ocean view, we took a standard room which more than met our needs. My wife was not crazy about the lack of privacy in the bath tub area, and the shower was pretty hot, but I thought the set-up in the bathroom area was very functional - separate shower, toilet, tub, and make-up area. Some people complain about beds, but I found them better than anything you'll find in an American motel.
Dreams "puts on the dog" when it comes to food and beverage - that's one reason why we chose it. On the booze side - normally a hotel will have one brand of beer on tap, take it or leave it. But Dreams had great tap beer plus a huge array of brands in bottles. The same went for call liquors, if that's important to you. The main bar in the lobby was a knock-out - great drinks, friendly bartenders, constant entertainment at night, and a wonderful crowd of fellow vacationers. It was a week-long party, but at our age we were done every night by 10.
Being from Nebraska, we tend to be pretty critical of anyone else's meat, but the Mexicans have upgraded that aspect markedly. Particularly, the Seaside Grill served American style meals at noon and night. The other resturants tended to be very "gourmet" style at the evening meal - beautiful meals, but not meat and potatoes. Be ready to order a several-course dinner, as portions are different than at lunch. We enjoyed every venue we tried. Obviously, some cuisines are not as appealing to everyone.
I am an avid golfer, and Dreams offers phenomenal deals on great courses. I thought I was going to play the Gregg Norman course at Mayakoba, but the upcoming PGA event in Feb bumped me. Consierge "Juan" got me on at the Iberostar couse instead, and it was a fabulous replacement. Make sure you are aggressive in asking what your priviledges are if you are into golf - I get the impression the staff doesn't just volunteer the information. I saved $800 on four rounds of golf - that's no exaggeration.
The beach at Puerto Morelos is pristine. The taxi drivers told me that this is where the locals come, because it's the best. The beach just seems to go on forever, the very epitome of Cancun and the Caribbean.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank jbsgolftour
Reviewed February 12, 2010

Southern sun and surf can be fabulous, but when it comes to Cancun, most people think party central. Go just a few miles south to Puerto Morelos and you are in a quiet fishing village that is emerging as a superb locale to lounge on a beautiful beach and unwind. It’s also been labeled by US Airways as one of their top 17 destinations for 2010.
On my family’s recent five-night visit, we stayed at the newly opened (October 2009) Dreams Riviera Cancun (www.dreamsresorts.com/drerc) in Puerto Morelos. Fortunately, the most challenging part of the trip was fighting our way past the small horde of time-share salespeople milling around the terminal. Once past this gauntlet, we easily located our transport (the orange- shirted folk from Olympus) and were soon on our way to the Dreams Riviera Cancun.
We had preregistered for preferred club benefits which gave us some upgrades: free internet (although we had to get a daily access code to use it); upgraded bath and mini-bar amenities; and a lounge featuring hors d’oeuvres and dessert munchies, drinks, computers, and the USA Today newspaper. It’s not clear that the upgrade was worth the extra cost, as we were more inclined to frequent the outdoor bars and restaurants rather than the preferred club lounge.
Check-in was quick. We were soon listening to our flip-flop sandals slap the tiles as we followed the cool, dark first floor corridor to our connecting oceanfront rooms. Our building (the 1000) is on the left or the South Eastern side of the complex, which gets more sun; since it was January we were happy to be on the sunny-side.
The rooms are decorated in soothing beige and brown colors with a very relaxing ambience. In the bedrooms, we had a king size bed and our teens each a single with firm mattresses. The marble bath area was located behind the headboards; a screen with moveable slats separated the two areas. The bath area featured two sinks, a Jacuzzi tub, separate shower, and separate toilet; the latter two with mostly frosted glass doors. If you are a make-up wearing person, you might find the mirrors need some extra light, but it worked fine for us. My son was especially fond of the incense burner. I liked the well-stocked bath amenities including suntan lotion and bathrobes! If you are noise sensitive, I recommend earplugs, but we slept very soundly. The air conditioning kicks on as soon as the doors and windows are closed and the hotel prefers you close them if you are out of the room.
Each room on the first floor has a small terrace with a plunge pool, outdoor Jacuzzi tub, and a table with two chairs. Our rooms had a great view of the beach, with its palapas--little thatched huts--and the ocean beyond. The complex’s two outdoor restaurants and its three pools are a short stroll away.
Our one unplanned event occurred when our room safe decided to malfunction one evening, refusing to open. We got to experience how seriously Dreams takes security: When the senior security supervisor arrived the next morning to open the safe with the master code, he made us turn our backs and the other Dreams employees leave the room until he punched in the code. It’s nice to know that they take security seriously.
The property features nine restaurants, of which not all might be open on any given day. Operating status and hours are provided each day in the daily Sundial newsletter, which the turndown staff leave on the bed the evening before (along with the nightly chocolates). We ate breakfast each day at the delicious World Café buffet, although we could have eaten lighter fare and had coffees at the Coco Cafe. The Seaside Grill and Oceana, both located between two of the swimming pools, offer nearly identical menus. While we were there they featured excellent guacamole, a superb Grouper chef’s special, and to-die-for coconut ice cream. Our boy enjoyed the burgers at the Barefoot Grill and adored the 24-hour room service. El Patio Mexican our favorite dinner place, especially waiter Marco; be sure to get the liquor flamed Mayan cake. Because mid-January is not truly the high season (Christmas and March are Cancun’s most crowded periods), there was never a long wait for a table, with one exception. One night we tried to go to Bordeaux, the highly regarded French restaurant, but opted against waiting for over an hour. So it was off to Himatsu, Dreams’ Pan-Asian restaurant. Himatsu has teppanyaki grill tables, but you must reserve them and we did not do so, but enjoyed our one meal there. For men be sure to have one long pair of pants for dinner and a shirt with sleeves as there is an evening dress code, but jeans, t-shirts, and sneakers seem to qualify. If you forget, ask the concierge and s/he will be happy to supply you the appropriate attire.
There are some themed meal nights. Attended the Mexican night by the three pools, but as we were just finishing our meal and getting ready to enjoy the show, the rain ended the event and we grabbed our desserts and scurried back to our room. Caribbean night was held inside to avoid this scenario, but the band overwhelmed the room and instead of the short-lined food stations used the earlier evening, the single buffet line was slow moving, so we went to one of the other restaurants instead.
Drank our first coconut martini at the Rendezvous bar, but with about a dozen swings located right on the beach, the Barracuda was our favorite bar. Ask bartender Salomon for a Donkey shot when the bar is full. Our daughter misses the Pina Coladas. Opposite the Sugar Reef bar is the swim-up Manatees bar where the best service is in front of the bartender. Never made it to the dance club Desires.
Kept saying we would take the 9:30am bike ride to Puerto Morelos, but walked the beach to get there instead. There were at least a dozen daily planned activities, so be sure to check the evening Sundial newsletter to: learn Spanish; take Salsa lessons; play volleyball, soccer, horse shoes, or bocce; rifle or archery; batting practice, group exercises including water aerobics; tequila tasting; poker, Bingo, etc. Ping-pong and basketball are available everyday in the unheated pools, but the Infinity pool is heated. Check out Adventure Photos to take a bit of your vacation home.
In early January the ocean temperature was lower than the average 80 degrees and the water was choppy. Most of the time there was a red caution flag stating that it was dangerous to sail or paddleboat, so the blow-up rock-climbing wall also stayed on the shore and we did not attempt snorkeling or scuba. If you do want to go snorkeling, check out Brett Nielson (www.diveinpuertomorelos.com) at the Dive In located in Puerto Morelos who has a superb reputation.
Upon our arrival we were given coupons at the spa, which brought the cost down to almost a normal spa price. We were told to arrive 45 minutes early to make use of the hydro-spa and this was fabulous with sauna, steam room, whirlpool Jacuzzi, pool with various water massagers, and non-alcoholic drinks. It truly was a relaxing experience.
Our one side trip, made through Adrianna of Olympus, was to one of the Seven Wonders of the World: Chichen-Itza. The 2.5 hour bus ride was very comfortable with an on-board light breakfast at our table, Tony’s Mayan history lessons, a souvenir--bargaining encouraged--rest stop, plugs for Mayan necklaces and scrolls, two-hour tour with Norma and one hour on our own at the six square mile site, buffet lunch with bottle dancer entertainment, swim at a freshwater Ik-Kil Cenote (large, below-ground watering-hole), and beer or other beverages for the ride home. Would have liked more time at Chichen-Itza, but it was a great educational trip through Mayan history.
Although it is not mandatory to do so, remember that if you wish to be remembered and get premium service, you should tip. We took a range of bills for this purpose and there is an ATM on the Dreams property. We had great service. Bring sunscreen and bug spray. After rain storms the mosquitoes made a brief appearance. A little Spanish goes a long way, so remember to greet with “hola” and thank with “gracias”. Our trip was muy bien.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
7  Thank JHBpgh
Reviewed February 11, 2010

I used tripadvisor to read the reviews before booking Dreams Riviera Cancun and thought I should add our own comments to help future travelers...

Dreams Riviera Cancun is 20 minutes from the airport. After long waits in customs, the plane ride and security, it was great to be the first group dropped off on the bus ride.

My husband and I are fortunate to have travelled to many 5 star resorts in our time. We often get to eat at very nice restaurants and have a had the taste of wonderful amenities when traveling. That being said, when we booked the Dreams "all-inclusive" vacation with our 4 and 6 year old daughters, we did not expect "champagne wishes and caviar dreams", but a clean resort with a nice selection of food and a kids club that we would feel comfortable to put our kids in. After reading the reviews and hearing the disappointment by some in the resort's food and Explorer's Club, we did not understand it. We were thrilled with our week long stay and would go back in a heart beat. In the following I will supply details that will add to what has been shared thus far in the reviews on Dream Riviera.

Explorer's Club:

We wanted to spend time with our kids. If they wanted to check out the Exploerer's, then our thought going into the trip was to let them, but it wasn't our intent to have them go to the Club all the time. We could not tear them out of the place. They ABSOLUTELY loved it. The ladies taking care of the kids were attentive, caring and sweet. They had activities each day that were announced the night before on the daily newsletter left in the hotel rooms nightly. I would recommend this Kid's Club for children who are a little more self sufficient. if you have not dropped your kids off before, then it is likely that attending Explorer's will be an adjustment. Also, the staff are supervising kids in group activities, not following around toddlers ala daycare. Therefore, it may not be suitable for "young" 3 and 4 year olds. Net/net it was overly suitable for us and all of the kids our girls became friends with that were attending throughout the week.

Rooms:

We are a family of 4, and slept in a room with 2 double beds. We had a cot brought in and it worked out very well. This was the first time we had gone away and not had a one bedroom suite, thus I was concerned going in thinking that we would be keeping each other up being all in the same room. The kids were so tuckered out by the end of the day they were asleep as their heads were hitting the pillows. Each room has a small couch that does not pull out. For a toddler, you could turn it to face the wall that it leans against and your little one would be good to go. The halls can be a little noisy, but nothing out of control. We brought a sound machine and that drowned out most of the noise.

Food:

Deelish. Their burgers and homemade wontons at the pool were amazing. They served lunch and dinner at the kids club and our girls would beg to have one meal there a day, which was their own kiddie buffet. This was special for them and laid out during a magic show one night that was a big hit. Sushi at the Japaanese was very good (smoked salmon though vs sushi grade) and the French was impressive. They served very nice Chilean cab/sauv and Merlot and Pinot Grigio. I mean, I have been to Mexico 8 or 9 times and have never had good wine that I actually wanted to drink coming without a surcharge at an all-inclusive.

Superbowl Party:

A huge surprise, they put up big screens on the beach and played the game with a huge buffet catering to the football crowd. handed out concessions, tonnes of beer, watched on beach chairs staring off into the ocean. NO SURCHARGE FOR THIS!!!!! They put this on gratis and it was a lot of fun for families and couples alike.

There are a lot of families at the resort. if you are traveling with kids you will be pleased using the kiddie pool which is huge and shallow AND in a sunny area.

5 stars from us. When I thanked the staff for something I heard, "It's a pleasure" about 100 times, with a genuine smile. We will likely be repeat guests!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
8  Thank MaxwellGirl
Reviewed February 11, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this resort the first week of February. We had an excellent stay at Dreams, very relaxing. We had a Garden view room which was nice looking into the court, room 2239.
Some of the pluses of the resort are the following:-
-location to the airport, only 30 mins
-food was excellent, no problems there, all the a la cartes we delicious. Our favourite the Italian (which was a surprise, b/c usually the italian is the worst at resorts) we also tried out the Mexican, French & Japansese, which were all good as well
-the infinity pool was nice and heated and it was nice to look out at the ocean.
- service was excellent. If you ever called for ANYTHING that you need to your room, someone would be there so fast , drinks were brought to you on the beach or pool chairs, and giving tips definitely helped but was well worth it.
- walking distance to the little town Puerto Morelos, which is really cute!
Some of the cons:-
-lacking entertainment, not much to do at night
-room size kinda small, the decor is really nice but not much space to put your luggage. I have no idea how a family of 4 could ever fit in one of those rooms
-people with babies... I dont know what it was all about but there were tons of people with babies under 1 and tons of baby strollers all over the pool areas and a la carte restaurants. I know it's not an adults only resort but the amount of babies was the greatest i've ever seen then kids.

All in all the resort is very relaxing, not a place to go if you are looking for party hotel, but definitely very clean, relaxing, and excellent service.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple