Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
$444
$248
$173
Official Site
Now Jade Riviera Cancun(Puerto Morelos)
$263
$178
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort(Puerto Morelos)
$317
$232
$566
Cancelon
7,014 results
All reviewsworld cafeplunge poolpreferred clubseaside grillel patioswim up barexplorers clubkids clubfrench restaurantcoco cafeoceana restaurantocean viewpaellawedding coordinatorfamily vacationdestination weddingcocktail hour
Reviewed January 24, 2010

My husband and I have traveled to many all- inclusive resorts before children. Always high end resorts for couples only. Sandals, Couples and Secrets in various locations. Now that our boys are ages 5 and 3 we decided to look for a family all-inclusive. This was difficult as we were looking for a place that would take 3 yr old into the kid's club. Most resorts require the children to be age 4. My husband and I looked forward to our children experiencing a luxury beach vacation but also wanted to have some down time with a quiet dinner in the evening. This will lead into my only complaint for this resort and also the only reason I gave it a 4 rating. Don't get me wrong as this is an exceptional resort.

Explorer's Club: One of the reasons I was sold on this resort was because it appeared to have a very good kid's club. My husband and I rarely get babysitters and I didn't want to feel guilty leaving our children while having a little alone time. We were pleased that our kids couldn't wait to try it out as it looks quite impressive. The first 2 nights went well. We brought them there for an hour and a half while we ate dinner. Since they seemed to have liked it so much we thought we would lounge by the beach for a short time on our own while they played in the morning. The kids didn't want to go there after that. My kids would have rathered sat with us at dinner than go to the Explorer's Club. We still brought them to the club 4 out of our 7 of our seven nights. They didn't enjoy going there at all. The camping night and movie on the beach looked fun in their advertising but I can't imagine they do this often because of the wind on the beach. It was canceled when we were there. My kids participated in activies like the spider zone, climbing wall and treasure hunt but when I had mention these again they had no interest in going back. I can't help but assume the these activities weren't the greatest. On the upside, we felt that our kids were safe there and the staff was kind and nuturing. This is my first family trip so I have nothing to compare the Explorer's Club against. I just know that I was not impressed and would be interested to see how the Beaches Resorts compare.

Food: My husband and I enjoy fine dining. This place was absolutely amazing. During our 8 days there, we did not have one thing that we didn't like. One meal was better than the next. We looked forward to our lunches at the Oceana each day. We tried all of the restaurants and the buffet. Each restaurant option was a completely different dining experience. No matter what time we showed up for dinner, we never had to wait. Just look at the Sundial, which is an informative resort newspaper, the day before to look at your options. Our kids enjoyed the buffet room service, the fiesta night by the pool and the Hibichi Grill. They are picky eaters but always found plenty to eat for each meal. For breakfast they had everything you could imagine. The multiple juice options crepes and omelet stations were impressive. We always took some yogart to the room for our kids to eat when they were hungry before or after naps. Room service was great and always came within 40 minutes. The kids loved eating on the balcony and overlooking the resort and the ocean. The coffee shop is a nice touch. They have desserts and sandwiches there. They also loved the mini bar in the room.

Drinks; They had such an endless variety of drink options. Like the food, one was better than the next. I loved the house wine selection. The bartenders made excellent non-alcoholic drinks for the kids.

Service: All bar and and food service was exceptional. These people really try to please you. A friendly smile goes a long way here. If you are grumpy and demanding. Ha, they will make sure to make you more grumpy. I have never had such great pool and beach bar service. Bring some tipping money as you will feel the need to give them a little something. Two dollars goes a long way. I loved that my children were treated as well as we were.

Rooms: We loved the room even with our two kids. Yes, it would have been nice to have some more storage but we were plenty comfortable. We even had a fold out bed. I loved the set up of the room as we could lay in bed and see the ocean. The bathroom area was such a luxury. I would trade that for storage anytime. I would put my kids down for a 4:00 nap and take a luxurious shower or bath. The products they supply were the best. We had no problems with slipping on the tile as we just made sure the floor was dry. Our ocean view was amazing. We paid for this as I didn't want the risk getting a bad view. We did not have any problem with noise in our room. We are all very light sleepers. It may have helped that we were on the top floor. We also brought a sound machine as we do for any travel. The white noise sounds like an air conditioning running. I have asked for our rooms to be cleaned by noon and they always were cleaned by then. I didn't want them interrupting our nap schedule.

Pools- The infinity pool was the best resort pool I have ever been in. The view is amazing. The water was heated and very comfortable. Kids went in the infinity pool as I have never seen anything that stated that is is an adult pool. It is noted that kids are not allowed at the pool bar which is inside the infinity pool. Rafts and chairs were plentiful There was always a seat at the pool bar.

Beach- Beautiful and no problem finding a great spot to sit. We did bring water shoes after reading reviews. We had a great time in the ocean but didn't go out too far with the boys.

Shows- We had fun at the shows. We had wished they were a bit earlier as our children were getting to bed too late after going to them. The lobby entertainment was very good.

As for coming back, It would be difficult to go to the area and not stay at this resort again. I really can't imagine it getting much better. The resort was at 50% capacity and that may be why we had such a perfect experience at this resort. Being that this was my first time at a family resort, I had expected there to be some pool side games or activities for us as a family or just for the kids. However, we had no problem filling up our time with the beach and pool.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
8  Thank mandi1972
Reviewed January 24, 2010

We arrived at this resort at about 2:30 in the morning, and the main desk staff was very friendly and prompt with our check-in, which only took about 5 minutes; after which we were escorted to our room. The resort gives you coupons ($200) to use at the resort as well, but we found ourselves too busy to use them actually. On our first full day we spent time at the pool, which was very clean. The only negative experience we had at the pool area was that a wasp somehow ended up in one of our drinks as it was being mixed. We ate at all the restaurants on site except for one. The only down side to them was perhaps their coffee was not that great and nor were there deserts (for taste) except presentation and service was great.

We booked quite a few excursions through the Sunquest rep at the resort. We went to Xel-Ha, which was great - especially the Sea Trek Experience (amazing!). We also went to a new park called Xplore (where you can drive an amphibious vehicle, river swim, rafting through underground caves) as well as zip lines. The only trouble we had with excursions is that we booked a shuttle from the hotel to Playa del Carmen ($50.00 U.S. ), but when we arrived to get on the shuttle we were advised it was booked already by a different tour rep. We ultimately were reimbursed for this with no problem. We hired a cab to get ourselves there and despite offering to pay the $35.00 U.S. upon arrival, the driver not only declined payment, but offered to wait around while we shopped for a few hours. When we were finished shopping he was easily spotted and even asked us if we needed more time. We booked a sail from Cancun to Isla Mujeres, which was great. This included snorkelling, shopping time and lunch. The only disappointment was that we didn't see much fish while we went snorkelling, but that may be because of the strong current.

The only real down side for us was that we didn't take into consideration that people would still be taking their young children to a resort so soon after Christmas and during the school year. So, we would probably prefer a non-family oriented resort. We just found that the resort does not have much sound control )ie. can hear kids screaming in the hallway and it echoes, along with carts being pushed around and people walking and talking).

Our room was nice although we had a few problems: ie the screen door to our plunge pool did not lock, the lights in the plunge pool did not work. However, these were taken care of promptly by staff.

In terms of layout, the resort is great. Everything was easily accessible. We spoke to people from other resorts and a common complaint was that their resort was too big. Dreams was well spaced out and planned well.

Overall it was a good experience!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Andy0218
Reviewed January 22, 2010

My husband and I were there in December and it was overall and great vacation. Obviuously nothing can go perfect - the elevator was quirky and didn't always want to work, room service menu is limited and they aren't very good about oicking up trays and carts in a timley manner (we would walk by trays that had been there all day) and it's kind of hard to listen to Christmas music when you are in that type of atmosphere.
The staff was GREAT - very accomodating and there for every request. The pools are wonderful except that they don't really monitor the fact that kids are in the adult pool - guess that's up to the parents. The food is GREAT! So may restaraunts to choose from - just make sure it's open the night you want to go. We enjoyed this trip so much that I am going back in Feb with some girlfriends for a long weekend. Tip the bar staff and your drinks will go to a whole new level! I give this place 4 stars for sure!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank loco4lsu
Reviewed January 20, 2010

The rooms are beautifully designed with nice, interior designing and a very modern feel. On-site coffee shop is good, as well as the restaurants. Distance from rooms to the beach and pools is nice too. Excellent Children's club and spa. 24 hour room service menu is part of the all-inclusiveness and is quite impressive.

• Stayed: January 2010
4  Thank ludhianvi_isha
Reviewed January 20, 2010

A friend recommended this place to us because they attended this resort during their grand opening in October. He's a pretty critical guy, but he was quite impressed by the experience. So knowing we wanted a last minute trip, we decided to make this our vacation destination. I spent a lot of time scouring trip advisor for reviews, just in case I needed to prepare myself for anything unexpected. But after returning today from a five day trip, I am happy to say that this place isn't perfect, but it is pretty darn good!

Rooms: I found them pretty amazing...pretty unique layout, but felt with young children, it was a bit dangerous for the kids cause the floors were pretty hard and slippery. Between the two jacuzzis, our outside jacuzzi was a bit nasty so we stayed away from it. The elements had some bugs in it, and I did notice that service didn't go out there everyday, but we called and had them clean it, and they came right away. Two time a day maid service was impressive, but we did have to call to get our mini bar completed cause our kids loved the snacks.

Preferred Club Level: Pretty nice perk, although we did notice that staff didn't moderate it well. So pretty much anyone can come and go and use these services for free. Food was pretty good, and it was a nice break for mid-day. Breakfast wasn't bad either. Staff here was pretty accommodating.

Amenities: Spa was really nice...definitely go with the 80 min. massage. Gym is small but has pretty much everything. Explorer's Club...if you have young kids...it's not all that. They had two staff there watching, and honestly, all the kids were just everywhere, and I don't think I'd trust the help. You're much better vacationing with friends or family. Photographers were pretty cool and they did a great job. Entertainment guys were kinda silly, but that's the job. Made it fun for everyone.

Restaurants: Excellent...great choices, and a lot of options. Morning buffet was good. Although the service depended on who was helping you. Overall, very courteous staff. Definitely go to the Tepenyaki restaurant...if you can get reservations...it's the only one you have to sign up for...good entertainment, and really really good food. Sushi bar is great too. El Patio is really good, and fun as well! Oceana, one lunch we waited an hour, and they served everyone their food but us. We knew they were busy...and we needed to leave...so we just left. Mentioned it to them the next day, not complaining, and they were very careful to make sure we were happy. Coco is a cafe...loved it...nice touch and the pastries are great. Room service was really good too...not much choice...but convenient.

Service: The staff appear very geniune and they seem to like their jobs. From outside at least. I felt welcomed and even when I didn't have cash for tip, they were still willing to help us out with equal attitude of courtesy. I asked for mango juice on the last day, and the service guy made sure he got me two glasses...and even delivered it to where I was eating at the club room. I was pretty impressed.

We did have an issue with our child, you got bitten by a bug...and for some reason just went in hives all over. We were pretty scared, but the hotel doctor was very quick to respond and very gentle with our kid. He administered a shot to him and all of the reaction subsided within 2 hours and was in good spirits. Good to know in case of emergencies.

Negatives: Elevator near our room was broken. Dirty jacuzzi. Don't use Cheap Carribean to book your travel...it's cheaper...but in my opinion they aren't that helpful...actually...I feel like they were jerks. Olympus tours are a bit slow, rude, and over priced. Make sure you get everything refilled in your room. Japanese restaurants was tough to reserve. Internet code was rotating daily...pain to call back daily when it was supposed to be free.

Again not perfection...but man...I can't complain too much. I'd definitely come back with friends and family. Considering for a family of 4...both kids under 3 yrs old...we spent around $2700 including airfare...we liked it a ton. Beach beautiful and clean...water is great. Definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family