“Nice property and attentive staff, but watch upcharges and food safety”

Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 27, 2014

A wonderful location, with lots to do in terms of activities both at the hotel and in the area. Rooms are nice and meticulously maintained, but if you are planning a group wedding or get together a couple of caveats for you to consider. They appear to be a victim of their own success. They are so busy, that they have let some of the basics slip.

We were just there with a party of over 60 for a wedding. Beware of upcharges from the resort, or you will pay roughly double what you anticipated. Go over the contract line by line, item by item, make sure it is exactly what you want, any changes at the last minute or week will be very pricey. If you can get a wedding planner familiar with the property, that does not work for the hotel, you may have someone who actually can work for you, not against you!

The rooms and in particular the Master Honeymoon suite was very nice. Many of our party requested a king size bed and instead got two doubles they would push together and say it was a King suite, sure!

All in all they did a nice job, but are perhaps in need of a wake up call re food safety. 50% of your group will get sick like ours did. Where I am from if this happened, the health dept would shut down the eating places until the sources of contamination were found. And to them it is not contamination, their bodies are used to it, and they dont get sick, it is just for us, we are used to higher standards and perhaps different bugs. Their bugs are not bad, it is just that they are not not our bugs.

We did an all exclusive at a different chain in Puerto Vallarta, and no one got sick, BUT they had inspectors from the hotel running around in white jackets, testing food and temp, pool chlorine levels, etc., all the time. Dreams had none of this that we saw other than I did see someone taking water samples from the pool, once.

Beware of the juices, someone in our group suggested they were only flavour powder, sugar, a dash of natural juice and water. If you like sweet foods you will be in heaven.

Guests should have a great time like we did, just bring lots of tummy meds, and don't let them take you for a ride on the "Wedding or Group Package" budget or you will be disappointed.

Room Tip: Rooms near the water will be noisy from the parties at that end, the good news is they shut down at...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank crisilton
GerenciaDRERC, Guest Relations Manager at Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2014

Dear crisilton
Your comments are very important to us and we are always looking forward to improve, It is worth mentioning that we are aware of the tremendous responsibility to offer impeccable food and beverage products to our valued customers and have elaborated and respect extremely strict hygiene standards and procedures. Our food and beverage preparation facilities are inspected on a regular basis by the local hygiene authorities. The food as well as our staff is also tested and properly inspected for safety and hygiene.

That has certified us for the second consecutive year by the most important HACCP system (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points) as applied for food safety management uses the approach of controlling critical points in food handling to prevent food safety problems.
We value your patronage and thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments and concerns. It is only through feedback from valued guests such as yourself that we are able to improve in the services of our hotel.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Just returned from a 10 day holiday here & I have to say this hotel
Is well worth a visit, beautiful grounds, fab pool, brilliant spa, wonderful restaurants, amazing bedrooms, & excellent staff. We truly enjoyed our stay here and will definitely return,

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Linda M
GerenciaDRERC, Guest Relations Manager at Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Dear Linda M
We sincerely appreciate your note expressing your satisfaction with the quality of service you received as a guest at our beautiful property.

Dreams Riviera Cancun

Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

So, the drive in off the highway is terrible. The area is also laced with alligators - getting stuck in those muddy swimming pools ( I mean roads ) wouldn't be nice. And when you drive past the Excellence resort, the entry to Dreams is somewhat krappy. Anyway, all of this changes once you are at the lobby. Friendly staff, clean and crisp architecture, fresh food and fine service. The resort is small. Lots to do. Especially if you are with family. Adrian at the world cafe is a signature of the classy service you can expect. Kareena at the spa knows her job and is ever so helpful. Lots of entertainment and I loved the theme nights. I loved the theme nights....so, once the roads and the terrible internet connectivity is sorted, I'm sure to return. And OK ...the spa is a touch pricey . But wow is it worth the price.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ali A

Dear Ali A
Your kind words serve to encourage all of us at Dreams Riviera Cancun Hotel and Resorts to strive even harder to make all your stays with us as enjoyable and pleasant as possible. Regards your comments on the road we are really sorry for the inconveniences we are already working with the government due regulations they have for the protection of the mangrove and we have high expectation that this is going to be solve really soon

Dreams Riviera Cancun

Reviewed January 22, 2014

I just came back from spending 5 wonderful nights at the Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort (1/15-1/20/14). We went for a friend's wedding and didn't want to come home!!! The resort is absolutely beautiful! We loved the surroundings, the resort was always clean, and the staff were attentive and polite. We loved everything about it and we will definitely plan to come back in the future. We stayed in room 2304 and the view was spectacular as well as the housekeeper, Flor, did a great job. The room had an amazing hot-tub on the balcony as it was a "Preferred Club" room, so I would recommend going for those rooms if you book here.

I’d also like to give compliments to some of the staff:

- Daniella in the Entertainment staff is wonderful and she was always really friendly and approachable.
- Marbella and Marcela in the Rendezvous bar were both great, very friendly, and super fast at getting our drinks.
- Antonio and Jose in the Barracuda bar were awesome!
- Carlos (one of the servers) is great.
- Adrian (one of the World Café servers) is really cool and he helped us with so many recommendations of things to do around the resort and surrounding area.
- Jesus (one of the bell-men) did a great job showing us to our room and explaining the various features.

I know I’m probably missing some people, but I wanted to recognize all of these staff because they truly went above-and-beyond to make our stay an amazing one!!

Room Tip: I would recommend rooms in the Preferred Club area as they have hot tubs on the balcony and better v...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank knoonan44
GerenciaDRERC, Guest Relations Manager at Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Dear knoonan44
Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review, it is a pleasure for us to receive this great comments since we can assure guests are having a pleasant stay at our resort and are receiving the service and attentions they deserve.

Regards
Dreams Riviera Cancun & Spa.

Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

I traveled to the Dreams Jan 2nd-9th. I was traveling with 14 adults and 4 children. Adults ranged from 28-60 and kiddos were 8 months, 17 months, 21 months and 3. All of the families with kiddos booked the plunge pool rooms. Others booked ocean view rooms and were on the 3rd floor.

First the drive from the airport is seriously about 20 mins. Very close and and easy drive. I read a lot of reviews before traveling and a lot of people complained about the road leading to the resort. Yes it was a mess! We saw 2 cars stuck, tons of people working on the road and at times I thought we were going to get stuck. Now let me remind you this isn't the resorts issue. MX has to fix it and it appeared they were trying to do so. My husband and I were down in that area early sept and it was non stop rain. That's when the mess started apparently. They ha so much rain in Sept, Oct, Nov and Dec that it washed the road out. Not an issue in our opinion. Not the resorts fault.

Anyway at first sight I wasn't in aw of the resort. Not a grand entrance like a lot of resorts we have been to. Once inside the lobby it was very nice. The desk staff was a bit slow but it didn't really bother us. I was very polite to the staff and had no issues requesting the room location I wanted. Now I know other people in our group didn't have the same experience. But let me say this...if you act like you are better than them and you demand things you aren't going to get what you want.

Our rooms weren't ready yet so we went to eat lunch at the Barefoot Grill. Had hot dogs, mini burgers, fries, salad, pizza and all were good. We ate lunch there a lot because it was quick and easy.

Our rooms were ready after we ate lunch. Our bags were brought to our room and the rooms were very nice. Loved the set up!!! We were traveling with a 17 month old so I requested a crib. They brought the crib within 5 mins of requesting it. Crib was nice! Pack n play size but a wooden crib with a full mattress. Advise: bring your own sheet for the crib. They do put sheets on it but we put our own on top.

Lots of people complained of noise and we never had an issue. Some people in our group said they would hear a lot of noise above due to moving chairs or furniture.

The plunge pool was really nice having a child. If we were without a child we wouldn't have needed it or booked it. Major nice thing about the room was when the little ones were sleeping we were able to get out of our room via the pool and hang out there.

When we arrived the resort was at 76% full. We didn't feel it was busy at all. The resort is set up perfect if you are going with other families. Easy to get to everything. No learning where things are, smaller so no need for a stroller. Lots of people had them but we didn't and never once felt like we did need one. By the 3rd day the resort was at 46% full and it was a ghost town! Even when it was fu we didn't have an issue, ever, getting a chair by any of the pools or on the beach.

Pools: the kid pool and the infinity pool are heated. The activity pool isn't. The pool that is about 1.5 feet deep is PERFECT for kids. It's super warm. They bring drinks to you in every pool and there are bars very close to you at every pool so it's not an issue if you do need to go get something.

Food: we had great food and service everywhere minus the Seaside Grill. We didn't like our food but that's just us. We heard people say they liked it. We normally don't do buffets for dinner at all but we did this trip due to having a small child. It was very good. Lots to choose from. We ate breakfast in the buffet every morning and it was always good. Waiters made balloon animals for the kids always. The Mexican restaurant was VERY good! That was our favorite. Went there twice. Ate at the italian and it was very good. That was the only place we waited for. The French place is a very good experience. It's adults only so we had the grandparents watch the kids and it was a wonderful meal! Oceana was good as well. They switch between seafood one night and steak the next. We went on the seafood night and it was good! The hibachi was good but we have had better. It was my husbands 30th birthday while we were down there. I went to make reservations at the hibachi for his birthday and they let me reserve both grills (there are only 2) for our whole party. It wasn't a problem!

Special events: with it being my husbands 30th down there I purchase a piñata for $120. I did it through the resort and they did a great job!! We had so much fun. The kids loved watching (most too little to swing) an the adults had so much fun. The staff was great entertainment and made the night special. The staff at the restaurant and the entertainment staff worked great together. They also put tons of balloons in our room, put a banner on the door, put cake in our room and streamers all free of charge.

It was also my parents anniversary while we were there so they brought wine, cake, filled the tub with rose petals and banner on the door all free as well. They were very happy and surprised.

The gym: tiny! But it's nice

Spa: super expensive. Way more expensive than Chicago prices which is crazy!

All in all it was a nice resort and we had a good time. No issues and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

Random bonus: the hot tubs are actually heated!!! ALL other all inclusive resorts (been to 7 in that area) the hot tubs aren't heated and I think it's weird!!!! So that was nice.

Stayed: January 2014
7  Thank LyndsayTraveler

Dear LyndsayTraveler
Greetings from sunny Riviera Maya!
Thank you for taking the time to write about your pleasant stay at our beautiful resort. It is a pleasure for us to read this type of comments and knowing that guests are being treated as they deserve.
We´ve already sent your kind review to the respective managers so he passes all the information to the staff

Regards
Dreams Riviera Cancun & Spa.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

I went to this Dreams resort in August 2013 with a few friends. My sister and her friend were invited to a wedding, and asked me to come along. At first, I was going to share a room with them to cut down on the price for everyone, but since this is an all-inclusive resort, the price for me to have my own room for 4 nights was only $100 more.
Checking in at the resort was long and quite annoying. I was supposed to have a room with a private splash pool, right next to the room my sister and her friend got. They got there much earlier in the day, and had asked about my room, since they noticed the room next door was occupied. When I arrived I was given keys to a room on the opposite side of the property without a splash pool. That's not what I paid for, first of all, but also it wasn't anywhere near my sister's room. So, in order for me to get a room near my sister, I had to take one without a splash pool! They had the splash pool in their room, so of course I was able to use theirs, but having the resort cheat me out of the room I paid for was really annoying. On top of that, I had to wait 3 hours for that room to be cleaned. We all just went to the bar in the lobby and had some tequila shots while we were waiting. If you ask for shots they will give them to you :-)
The rooms were very nice, and had comfortable beds, hot tubs inside and outside, and a toilet area separate from the shower and sink areas. The rooms could use a bit of upkeep: it was very hard to close my room door, so I had to slam it every time I went in or out; the sliding glass door to my sister's room would not lock... they had to call maintenance twice in order to get it fixed.
Having the splash pool outside the room was so much fun. We had a view of the ocean, and even saw a wedding from our pool on one of the days. A waiter walked by every now and then and took our drink orders. Of course we gave tips, so they kept coming back.
The beach area was very nice, and well kept. We didn't use the regular pools much, as we had our private pool, but they were also all very nice, big and clean. The swim up bar was fun, as all swim up bars are, and they had a separate bar with swings that you could sit at... how fun is that??
The buffet was just ok, but the sit down restaurants were phenomenal. For the buffet, you still had to give your name and wait until a table was ready. A few times we had to do this, the eating area was half empty, but we still had to wait! The Mexican restaurant was delicious, as was the Italian restaurant. It's a bit tricky at the sit down restaurants because they try to get you to buy bottles of wine with your meal... but you can order a few of their wines by the glass for free. It is an "all inclusive" resort, after all. They also have theme nights, such as Mexican night where they have a huge set up out by the pool, and a full mariachi band. That night is when the local vendors set up their shops at the resort, and you can bargain with them on prices.
I was very happy with this resort, but just the few inconveniences of the check in process, and the upkeep of our rooms, and having to wait to eat at the buffet, are the reasons for a 4 star rating rather than 5 stars. I would definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
GerenciaDRERC, Guest Relations Manager at Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear abtisam1
Greetings from sunny Riviera Maya!
Thank you for taking the time and the effort to write about your recent stay at our Resort.
sorry for the inconveniences you have experienced during your vacation. We certainly understand your concerns.
Regarding the check-in, we always try to do it as fast as we can but sometimes guests have special requests, or need certain accommodation that supposed they have guaranty but not and that sometimes reduces the agility of check-in, since it is our responsibility to try to keep everyone pleased, I will sure sent your kind comment to the front desk manager so that we can come up with a way to make it faster!
We are looking forward to have you as guests again!

Reviewed January 21, 2014

My husband, two yr old son and I returned from Dreams a few weeks ago and we are just now kind of fully recovered and back to normal. We had a horrible experience from day one through day seven and tried to leave early but couldn't get a flight. We are incredibly disappointed because we were looking forward to this trip for weeks and needed a vacation badly.

We opted for the ocean front suite which boasted "unlimited luxury". On our arrival there was a bad storm that really didn't let up for our entire trip- it was rainy and cold. This of course was not the resorts doing- we are super reasonable people and wanted to make the most out of what we could. The suite itself is a huge waste of money and I strongly suggest not staying in it if you go here...it is stuck in the seventies in terms of decor, furniture...it feels somewhat sticky and used not very clean and looked nothing like the pictures on their website. It is spacious though which is nice if you have children coming along. We got back to the suite on the first night after dinner and there was water everywhere on the floor- I called immediately and asked if we could/should switch rooms, they said no and that they would send housekeeping- who came and shoved like 15 towels into every crevice. We woke up the next morning to our entire suite flooded and our suitcases/stuff drenched. Obviously upset we went downstairs, told management who was not really apologetic or kind about it all- after having to get tough and remind them how much we paid they switched us to another suite. The next day my son started throwing up (after eating a burger) and didn't stop for about 36 hrs, then I started to get horrible stomach pain and spent three days in the bathroom- the food was not good and while eating it we didn't feel great about it but didn't have much of an option...learned our lesson the hard way. They were constantly putting left over food into different dishes the next day- tried to disguise everything...started to really gross us out by the end.The suite we were switched to had a horrible sewage type smell that got worse as the days went on- by the end we could barely stand to take showers or be in the bathroom- it was disgusting. We stressed about whether to complain but they were pretty rude about the flooding issue so we sucked it up. In a letter that our travel agent received (see below for more on that) from the asst manager she admits that there is a problem with the sewer and at times the rooms smell awful...."unlimited luxury"????

On the morning that we were to leave our son woke up with big bumps on his hands and arms. We thought maybe a bug had attacked him...after we got home the next day they were much worse and blistering. We brought him to his dr who diagnosed him with folliculitis and put him on antibiotics for ten days three times a day- he is two! This is a skin condition that one gets from dirty towels or sheets that have not been properly cleaned and still contain bacteria. We were and remain horrified by this.

There are many more things I could go into- disappointing all around. The bottom line for us is that we paid for and were expecting "luxury" and it simply was no where near this. The staff in general seemed unhappy with a lot of forced smiles and looked exhausted...
They did offer us a few things like romantic dinner and breakfast to try and make up for the flooded room but we didn't want that- certainly didn't want the food and since our son was with us it just didn't make sense. A few days in they sent a bottle of wine and some strawberries to our room... We went through a travel agent who, after much arguing and back & forth, was able to get us reimbursed for two nights. Our travel agent sent me a copy of the letter from the asst manager there- Marina Rojas- I am tempted to post it here...she had an excuse for everything and somehow tried to turn it all around on us- even suggesting that our son got his rash from bugs on the airplane home...

We obviously will never return to this place, are super bummed by the entire thing and, given that there are so many wonderful places out there to stay (last yr we stayed at Le Blanc which is adults only and incredible- highly recommend it if you aren't traveling with kids) I encourage those looking at this resort to turn else where.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
18  Thank Jess B
GerenciaDRERC, Guest Relations Manager at Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear Jess B:

We are aware of our responsibility to offer impeccable food and beverage products to our valued customers and have elaborated and respect extremely strict hygiene standards and procedures. Our food and beverage preparation facilities are inspected on a regular basis by the local hygiene authorities. The food as well as our staff is also tested and properly inspected for safety and hygiene.

Nevertheless, we have already sent your review to the respective department managers so that they make sure that everything is being followed as standards.

The world-renowned reputation of Dreams Riviera Cancun worldwide is built on commitment to exemplary service.

Please understand that we’ve taken these reports very seriously and will continue to do so to ensure the health and safety of our guests.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#68 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!