“Second trip, EXCELLENT!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Second trip, EXCELLENT!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

37 yr old frequently traveling couple, no kids. First trip: April 2013. Second trip: November 2013

As a VERY frequent traveler, both business and pleasure, I have been to numerous hotels and resorts. In the Cancun general area alone, I have been to RIUs, Barcelos, Iberostars and Dreams. Other similar resorts through the rest of the Carib, Mexican west coast and Costa Rica. I rarely return to the same resort without trying some thing new. On my first stay here in April, I knew that we would be back. I didnt realize at the time it would be just 6 months or so later!

All aspects of this resort are A+ and it is really hard for me to even come up with something that wasn't great. Please see my other review in April for a more detailed break down.

Best experiences: The food here is hands down the best of any resort I've stayed. The bike ride to Puerto Morales is a fun get away. Long walks down the beach. Top notch drinks and service. Did I mention amazing food?

Room Tip: Most rooms are ocean view, some better than others. Plunge pool rooms look very cool but we did not...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Michael H
GerenciaDRERC, Guest Relations Manager at Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear Michael H
It´s a pleasure for us to hear that your trip went out as you expected it and that you had a pleasant stay one more time.
We sincerely appreciate your note expressing your satisfaction with the quality of service you received as a guest at Dreams Riviera Cancun.

General Manager´s Assistant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,623)
  • Polish first
Stoney Creek, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

Just got back with my teenage sons. I was very impressed with all the hotel amenities and amazing staff. Check in and out was a breeze. We loved the spacious, modern rooms. All the restaurants were excellent. Very family friendly place, I was impressed that the hotel even offered float toys for the little kids. No one was ever rude but always very helpful and friendly service with a smile. One night my son was asking if they had popcorn anywhere as we were walking back from dinner...just as he finished saying it, we came across the popcorn machine they had set up! Loved the little cafe with the soft pretzels, ate them every day...we were definitely spoiled at this place. \i have very picky teens... even they were amazed and satisfied. None of us got sick. Even though the weather wasn't that great, the hotel more than made up for it. Dont know if I would come back to this part of Mexico, but I would definitely feel confident booking a Dreams or one of their family of hotels anywhere.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank D P
Dear D P
We are highly grateful for your review, and it´s a pleasure for us to hear that your family vacation turned out as you expected and enjoyed everything during your stay.

Dreams Riviera Cancun & Spa
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

This is an excellent resort, with friendly, helpful staff, good restaurants and services.
Unfortunately, we had the misfortune to be staying there at the same time (week before Christmas) that a rock festival was being staged nearby. For five days we were battered with sound from something called Mayan Holidaze. The booming bass notes sounded like not-so-distant cannon fire during much of the daytime. From half a mile away! We had to move from the beach area to the pools where the sound was diminished. On the third night a concert blasted us until 3 am. Sleep was impossible. Despite all windows closed and air conditioning on to provide white noise. Even air plugs couldn't shut out the noise! Our recommendation: do not book a room in building one on the north side (odd-numbered rooms, eg 1225), as the prevailing wind seems to come from the north. It's amazing that the local authorities allow one event like this to disturb thousands of vacationers in nearby resorts. Fortunately, next day the obliging desk staff found us a room in building 2, south side, and normal sleep was possible.
Of course, this problem was not caused by Dreams Riviera, but maybe the management should work with other resorts in the vicinity, or the local equivalent of the chamber of commerce , to prevent a repetition.

Room Tip: Avoid building one, north side. (See above.)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jaxn5
Dear jaxn5
Regarding the noise, allow me to inform you that we already took the right measurements.
I´ve already sent your kind review to the respective managers so that they know that you have recognized their efforts.

Dreams Riviera Cancun & Spa
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

I've found it hard to write this review as this is the first summer vacation we've had in many years where we have ended up being disappointed. On paper Dreams Riviera sounds and looks like a resort to die for and we had high expectations as we arrived. Things did not get off to a great start having arrived after a long flight and then being required to queue needlessly for 20 minutes at the main reception when we were in fact preferred guests and should have been taken straight to the Club Lounge for VIP check in. Surely a member of staff could check with people in the line if they are preferred guests or not?

We were travelling with our kids (6 & 12) so had booked two rooms. Although we booked to stay eight months in advance we were still required to pay a daily surcharge of US$20 *per day* for the privilege of having rooms next to each other. Already not too happy about this we felt we had little choice than pay only to find this was a $20 daily charge *per room* adding a whopping $500+ to the cost of our holiday. Personally I think this is absolutely disgraceful and something the hotel should review in future, particularly given we were paying for two of the best rooms for 14 nights and had no option given we have younger children.
There is no question the rooms are excellent quality. We were staying in 1448 & 1449 which overlook the resort with the ocean in the distance. The beds were extremely comfortable, the housekeeping staff were friendly and the bathrooms were spacious and well appointed. Each balcony in the "club" rooms has a Jacuzzi and we had many fun evenings kicking back watching the world go by.

The various pools are well maintained and the infinity pool with waterside bar is particularly impressive. The beach is also well maintained with a cleaning crew racking it every morning and a tractor regularly collecting seaweed washed up on shore.

This however, betrays one of the downsides of the resort. The sea is not that inviting. A combination of grass-like seaweed and ever present jellyfish (most of us got stung) meant we used it less than we expected. It is certainly not a patch on the glorious beaches in the Caribbean. That said, the lifeguards are very vigilant and were helpful when my son was stung.

A suggestion would be to follow the example of the hotel next door and devote a particular area of the beach for those in club rooms given the premium they have paid. It seemed the hotel had no issue reserving 20+ loungers on the beach when a famous Argentinian footballer was staying during our first week!!

By the way, despite the hotel saying it will free up loungers not used for 30 minutes this never happens and to get a decent spot you need to be down poolside or on the beach at 07.30 or earlier. At other resorts the hotel place cards on loungers saying towels will be removed after 30 minutes if they are left vacant. This should be implemented here to stop people being so selfish,

The next concern I'd like highlight is this hotel's addiction to hosting weddings. To be honest I don't know why anyone would want to get married here - it feels like "wedding factory" with as many as four weddings taking place on one day. One hotel employee told me the hotel chain conducts an average of 100 weddings across its properties each weekend. Hardly a personal, unique experience. The most hilarious (unfortunate) thing we saw was the sight of the hotel staff literally ripping down the PA system from one wedding as the bride and groom walked away so they could run down the beach to the next one in the production line to re-use some of the cables and other bits.

The sheer number of weddings also means the hotel can become very very full at weekends. With it there is also the problem of rowdy guys fuelled by free alcohol really making it quite unpleasant to be in the pool on some occasions. It came as little surprise to me when I read about a fight and a guy vomiting in the pool in earlier reviews. The hotel really should rethink the number of weddings it squeezes in as other guests pay a heavy price.

Talking of vomit, the tales of diarrhoea and general sickness in other reviews also affected us. My wife was ill for three days and I was ill for four and a half days. I have to say the food hygiene in the hotel seems to be excellent but I reckon the problem lies in the glasses used for cocktails - particularly at the pool side bar. There seemed to be no evidence glasses were washed properly or in high pressure dedicated dishwashers - rather they seemed to just be rinsed out and reused. No wonder sickness spreads through the hotel like wildfire. Again this is something the hotel needs to address or guests are just going to stay away. Too many people have now posted reviews saying they were ill.

The downside of being ill was that I was unable to fully enjoy the magnificent food in the various restaurants. When not sitting on the toilet you can choose from Mexican, Asian, Italian and French food with great service and atmosphere. There are also big theme nights around the pool and the "World cafe" buffet. Also two poolside restaurants serving seafood and other things.

Two highlights were the Asian restaurant (particularly on the night when we secured a place at the chef's table) - you have to queue at 16.30 to reserve this but it is worth it. Also the French restaurant which offers amazing service and delicious food in a child-free atmosphere.

Also worth noting is the coffee shop. A great place to get a morning cuppa or coffee of your choice. Basically an own brand Starbucks style place.

The spa is amazing. It is the best spa we've ever come across at a hotel like this. Away from everything it is peaceful and super relaxing. A real escape from the rest of the resort. It feels like you've moved to another hotel. We tried the hot stone massage (my wife said it was best massage she has ever had) and also the Swedish massage which I though was brilliant (ask for Gamez - she was superb).

We did not do any of the excursions organised by the hotel. We might have tried things like the bike ride or snorkelling but were too ill. However we did rent a car one day (Javier from Avis in the lobby is excellent) and took a trip to Ek Balam Mayan ruins and the Cenote (waterhole) nearby. If you are staying for long enough I really recommend doing this.

The kids club got good reviews on TripAdvisor but we did not think it was that great. Our kids thought it was OK but nothing special and staff were not particularly welcoming. That said, they did use it a couple of times when we went to the spa. I'd say the issue for us was that it catered more for younger kids and our 12 year old found it rather boring.

If we had not been ill it would doubtless have been a better holiday, but even without the sickness the resort just did not do it for us, particularly given what it cost. Back to the drawing board for next year's holiday unfortunately.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank textlad
GerenciaDRERC, Guest Relations Manager at Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear textlad
Your comments are very important to us and we are always looking forward to improve, regarding the seaweed at the beach we have a weekly cleaning by our staff and we try to keep it as clean as possible but it´s something we don’t have full control of since it´s a natural cause.

It is worth mentioning that we are aware of the tremendous responsibility to offer impeccable food and beverage products to our valued customers and have elaborated and respect extremely strict hygiene standards and procedures. Our food and beverage preparation facilities are inspected on a regular basis by the local hygiene authorities. The food as well as our staff is also tested and properly inspected for safety and hygiene.

That has certified us for the second consecutive year by the most important HACCP system (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points) as applied for food safety management uses the approach of controlling critical points in food handling to prevent food safety problems.
Let me inform you that we have the extra charge for connecting rooms because it is impossible to provide the service for all guest with the request (sometimes at check in informed), other way could be subject to availability at arrival without extra charge since booking time, that service and fee is the guest final decision.

We are considered the best choice in the market in order to have memorable weddings and events, for that reason the people select the beautiful property during their holidays and returning year by year for enjoying their trips and family moments.

We value your patronage and thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments and concerns. It is only through feedback from valued guests such as yourself that we are able to improve in the services of our hotel.

Naperville, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

The hotel and the rooms were very nice. The service at the restaurants and bars were awesome. The front desk/valet service employees were rude and condescending. The apple representatives were there to sell you on other services not to enhance your stay. They are not attentive to your needs nor go out of their way to make sure everything runs smoothly. We had to call a taxi to transport my daughter to the airport due to a misunderstanding with the apple rep who was not helpful and was very rude. My daughter left in tears from the way she was treated. They also partially charged us for a scuba excursion that was cancelled due to the weather.
I upgraded to have free internet and that was a real joke---there virtually is no internet service at this hotel in your rooms. When I requested a booster for my room I literally had to fight to get one and the manager made a snide remark as he handed it to me. Plus having the booster did not make a difference in the internet service.
I have taken many all-inclusive trips in the past years and have never dealt with such poor attitudes at a hotel as this one. I would not visit a dreams hotel again or take another Apple vacation.
The highlight of this trip was the service in the restaurants and bar areas--they made you feel at home. The front desk should take a lesson on how to treat people from them.
The overall review I would give this hotel would be a 3.5 Julia

Room Tip: Do not upgrade for internet service---The internet service is terrible
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Juje03
GerenciaDRERC, Guest Relations Manager at Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Mrs. Juje03 First of all Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at our beautiful resort.

We are very sorry to hear that our Apple representative wasn´t very helpful for you, but since it´s an outside agency they have different rules and information we are not aware of, we will certainly send your review to the Apple representative so they improve their services. Actually we invite you for contacting them costumer service directly in order to inform them about it.

Also thank you for bringing to our attention the inconvenience you went through during your stay and the lobby staff attitude which in no way reflects the image we strive to portray at our property. Please accept our most sincere apologies. It is worth mentioning that all staff members are instructed to provide services in a professional and courteous manner which is why we will take corrective measures to ensure that this does not occur again.

Let me inform you that we are working with the internet connection in order to provide you a better service in a future.
All your commentaries are important for following and growing up every day, looking to provide a high service expected and working on with the details daily.

Have a great holidays
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I visited for four nights with a two year old. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The layout of the resort was very nice, and so easy to get where you needed to go. We never ate a bad meal. The buffet in the morning had a wide variety, but it wasn't overwhelming like bigger resorts, and we ate here for dinner twice and were pleased with the selection, and quality of the food.We prefer quality over quantity! We absolutely loved that you didn't have to make dinner reservations, unless you wanted to eat at the hibachi tables at the Japanese restaurant. The grill at the pool was convenient and yummy, and we dined twice at Oceana for lunch....their crab wontons were amazing!! We loved the play set they had on the beach for kids, and it was right next to a bar!! We were very pleased with our stay, and would definitely visit this resort again. We were in building two, and it was very convenient to get to restaurants, pools, or beach. This building was a little loud in the evenings through about 11 pm, due to music or shows from the lobby area. Thanks for great service, and a memorable vacation Dreams Team...we look forward to our next stay.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank dithfields
GerenciaDRERC, Guest Relations Manager at Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Mrs. dithfields Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review, it is a pleasure for us to receive this great comments since we can assure guests are having a pleasant stay at our resort and are receiving the service and attentions they deserve.

Regards
Dreams Riviera Cancun & Spa.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

We have never been to an all-inclusive before but bringing our toddler to MX meant a deviation from our more adventurous travels. And honestly, work loads and life's demands meant we just wanted a place to sit down, toes-in-the-sand and just relax. Dreams looked great and the kids club clinched the deal since many other places require your children to be 4 y/o for their kids-clubs where as our little guy just turned 3 and that works for the Dreams resort.
Our room was basically right at the edge of the south end of the building overlooking the beach. The room itself was very large and scrupulously clean. Nice sheets, comfy robe, but my pillow was a bit flat. They have an array of pillow choices but I forgot to ask for something else. My bad.
I have a reputation (undeserved in my eye) for being rather picky about food and we found much of the food at Dreams to be good to excellent. Service was a bit spotty a few times but the dinners we had at Portofino were some of the best Italian meals I have had in a long time. The bresaola salad and the beef filet with Barolo sauce I had the first night were dynamite. The antipasti plate and pappardelle with Bolognese sauce were also very good. The chicken molé at El Patio was also excellent. Lunch for us was usually something simple like burgers by the pool. Breakfast at the World Café is a bit chaotic but I could eat those chilaquiles everyday.
Any problems we had while staying there, a quick phone call or a mention to one of the staff and it was handled. Everyone was very eager to please which made for an enjoyable stay.
Knocks against the place? If you need to buy a few items like suntan lotion or toys for the kids at the resort they are quite spendy. I guess that is to be expected. Otherwise, as I said, if there was a problem we let the staff know and it was handled.
The big question for me - would we go back or recommend it to a friend? Absolutely! The pools were great and the view from our room was spectacular. The staff bent over backwards accommodating us to the point of arranging our toddlers stuffed animal just-so on his bed everyday.
A couple of side notes;
The road to/from the hotel was damaged recently so it took a long time to get from the highway to the hotel (or vice versa). It was supposed to be repaired before Christmas so hopefully it is done soon.
Also, the wind blows non-stop. It's not annoying but it was noticeable on the beach. Some days were windier than others but other guests I spoke with say that's the way it is on the Caribbean coast.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jim R
Dear Mr. Jim R Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review, it is a pleasure for us to receive this great comments since we can assure guests are having a pleasant stay at our resort and are receiving the service and attentions they deserve.

Regards
Dreams Riviera Cancun & Spa.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,811 reviews

Been to Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!