“Amazing hotel”

Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Travelled to dreams riviera with my partner from May 4 to May 18.
The hotel was excellent and the food amazing, especially the French restaurant,
The hotel staff are all very professional and courteous and overall it is very well run,
If I had to find anything negative it would be that it's a little small for the amount of guests they have
Oh and the scuba diving they have on site is run by a company called aquaworld, they are terrible and are only interested in taking money from you

On the whole though we had an excellent holiday and this was due in a large part to the staff at dreams

4  Thank Mack41
Write a ReviewReviews (6,544)

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We celebrated our 28th Anniversary at the Dreams Riviera Cancun (May10-17th, 2013) We loved the resort! The service, the resort is clean, the food is excellent, the rooms are gorgeous! We stayed in the Preferred Oceanfront Master-suite (room 2300) we had a living room, small kitchen, king size bed, jacuzzi tub inside and one on the corner of the balcony, large bathroom with a huge shower and separate toilet. The balcony is quite large with a table and 4 chairs as well as the jacuzzi and a great view of the ocean and pool area. It's a corner room with picture windows everywhere and 2 sliding glass doors! The bar fridge was stocked with pop, water and mini bottles of Corona as well as a bag of Peanut M&M and a small container of Pringles. When we arrived we had a bottle of champagne with fruit and a "Happy Anniversary" banner across our door. They even wished us Happy Anniversary in the daily activities flyer.
Loved that there was no arm wristbands and no towel cards required. Waiters came around the pool frequently to ask if you needed a drink. Every afternoon, chefs paraded around the pool with platters of appetizers from the different restaurants. Great service at the Restaurants! Loved the french restaurant-Bordeaux (the portions are smaller but when you have the appetizers, salad, soup, main course) it's just right! Try the Fillet Mignon!
The atmosphere in the Japanese Restaurant in the garden is great too! Loved the Sushi, rice dishes, sweet and sour pork was delicious! The spa was great but a little pricey! Couples massage was $259.00. The beach is very nice but the water is not crystal clear. Not sure if it was due to the wind everyday we were there. The Preferred Club is a little more money but you get more perks like, the stocked bar and snacks in your room, private check in, access to the Preferred Club room with snacks, private bar, computer access......Loved this resort!

Room Tip: Room 2300 was excellent-large room with lots of windows, great views of the ocean and pool area!
1  Thank crane9938
Reviewed May 18, 2013

This was our second stay at Dreams Riviera Cancun resort, having been there three years ago right after it opened. We enjoyed that so much we've been looking for a good deal so we could return. We remembered the food was excellent and while not quite as good as before it was still very fine. We had dinners at the Bordeaux and El Patio twice. The service throughout the resort was exceptional - from the bellboys and maids through the staff at every bar, restaurant and poolside. The hostesses were so good they would actually remember our room number and name! They enjoyed our attempts at Spanish. We received outstanding service everywhere we went. At the lobby bar, Faustino and Jose made sure we never had to wait for our drinks. Plus they were fun and entertaining. And during the day when we were poolside, Fidencio would show up with our "ususal" before we even settled into our chairs. Where else can you go and have someone bring over extra towels and make sure that you are comfortable at all times? When we would venture into the pool and visit the Manatees Bar, we received continuous and prompt attention from the staff there as well. Apolinar and Gabriel managed to run the place efficiently even when it seemed there were 20 - 30 people requiring service. If you visit this resort, be sure to look for these guys! We really enjoy getting to know the people at the resorts where we stay, and at Dreams Riviera that was an easy pleasure. The only caution we would provide is if you don't want to be around alot of children. There were tons of them here this time.

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean-view. We stayed in the north wing on both trips and the room was great.
3  Thank Diane F
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Let me start by saying I am a little late on our review. We went to Dreams in October of 2012 after finding a killer deal from our travel agent. (Thanks Christine!) We have stayed at Dreams in Puerto Vallarta and liked it a lot so we gave Dreams Riviera a shot. Our room was very nice except that we shared our balcony with our neighbors. There was only a little fence waist high in between us, but hey, it was a mother with 2 very well behaved young men that my husband enjoyed talking to. Our view was great looking straight towards the ocean. The food here didn't seem as good as in Puerto Vallarta, but that could have been where we stayed last year. (Iberostar Grand Punta Cana) We did get the couples massage and loved it. The pool area back there was so nice with all of the jets, plunge pool, steam rooms, etc.
I did get some kind of bites on my legs, I believe were sand fleas. Wish I would have used some kind of repellant. Rooms were like the pictures they show you on line. I wish though that there would have been a table to sit and have dinner at. The table outside was a little small to dine at.
The ocean was beautiful, but yes there is a little bit of seaweed, but not that bad. I guess it depends on the tides. I loved walking the beach and it was fun to check other places out. Everyone that worked here is so nice. For example, on our first night there after swimming for a bit we got in the hot tub and as soon as we got to the hot tub a nice gentleman brought us over a bottle of Champaign and 2 glasses. It was a nice touch. Would I go back? Not sure, we try to go to different motels each time we go. Would we stay at other AM resorts? For sure!!

Room Tip: We had a room in the middle. Did not like sharing our patio. Get a higher floor for a better view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank grlfrommsbg
Reviewed May 14, 2013

After spending hour upon hour reading reviews on various websites, we decided to go with Dreams Riviera.

The trip started off on an unsettling note, when we made the poor decision of choosing the yellow cab service out of the airport ( I tried to writer a review, but tripadvisor didn't have them anywhere. Stay away at all cost!!!)

Anyway, when we arrived we were graciously greeted by the front door staff and handed the standard glass of champagne. My bitterness toward the yellow airport taxi was now fading. Now it was time to pull up a seat at the lobby bar Rendezvous, and do what I came here to do...Drink!!!

It was at the bar that I discovered reason enough to return to the resort, the bar service team of Antonio and Jasmine. No matter how busy they were,( and its the busiest place in the resort ) they were always smiling and happy to chat with us. As I'm still here I have to cut the review short and get back to my tanq martini. So a few bullet points to help you decide.

•The food is a 7/10 ( the French restaurant is the exception at a near 10)

•A few too many children for my liking(the pool is never a relaxing experience with the constant child scream)

•The cleanliness is spot-on. Your room is cleaned twice a day and you would be hard pressed to find a speck of dirt anywhere on the resort.

All in all, I highly recommend this resort. If you're on the fence, book it! You won't regret it.

Matt

• Stayed: May 2013
6  Thank Matty-ice02
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My husband and I went to Dreams for a quick anniversary trip. We have been to the Riviera Maya before, but never to Dreams. Overall, I think the resort was pretty good:
Check-in:
We were offered champagne upon arrival and the bellman took care of our luggage. The check-in clerk was efficient, but not overly friendly. Like other Caribbean resorts, the lobby is open, but it isn't as grand or opulent as some other resorts we've been to. Our room was ready at check-in (around 1), which was really great.
Room:
The room is definately set up more for a couple than a family with an open bathroom concept (which is odd because everything else around the resort seemed very family-oriented). I couldn't imagine being there with a teenager. It was decorated very nicely and we had a partial view of the ocean (paying for the lowest room rate). My biggest comlaint about the room was the hard bed. I woke up everyday with a sore back. Also, the lighting in the bathroom area could be better--definately not conducive for doing makeup. We didn't have any issues with our air conditioning, nor did we notice any damp/mildewy smells like some others have mentioned.
Food/Drinks:
Breakfast, for lack of a better word, was awful. My pancakes and french toast were either cold or runny in the center, and the scrambled eggs were consistently underdone. I would suggest the made-to-order omelets for an edible breakfast. We tried the buffet and the sit-down restaurants for lunch. The buffet was just okay, but both sit-down restaurants (by the pool/beach) were pretty good, though service at the Seaside Grill was really abysmal. For dinner, skip the Japanese restaurant (Himitsu) unless you're doing Hibachi. The sushi was bad--it tasted like sugar was added to everything, really unnatural. The Mexican restaurant was great and the French Restaurant was also really wonderful. The service was excellent. I really liked that no reservations were required. We didn't experience a wait either, but got to dinner by 7 each night. The drinks were extremely weak. I couldn't even taste alcohol in most of them. The wine, though not great, was tolerable.
Beach/Pool:
The beach was pretty good. There was lots of seaweed, but this couldn't be helped and they raked the beach at least once a day and sometimes twice. Also, we saw tons of fish just in a few feet of water (no need to swim out). The jellyfish flag was up each day, but we never saw any. The water is not calm, but certainly swimmable. The pools were nice, but I would have preferred an adults only/quiet pool. I think this area definately caters more towards children/families.
Service:
Everyone was extremely nice (even those who couldn't speak English said hello and were very friendly). The woman on the beach provided the best drink service, responding to every request with "It would be my pleasure." Awesome! The Barracuda Bar had extremely slow service (even if you tipped), but the bartenders were still friendly and the swings were great.
Entertainment:
Probably the best entertainment at any AI we've been to. There was something different every night (and sometimes two different things a night). I would caution though, that if you have a room near the lobby, you can hear the music from your room.

Overall, I thought the resort was very nice, though I felt it catered more towards families with children. For this reason, I wouldn't go back for a romantic vacation.

3  Thank LLizzy
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We just yesterday came back home from Mexico, Cancun. We've been staying for 9 nites in this amazingly luxurious resort. The most amazing staff, food, customer service, and everything. I would highly recommend this resort to all my friends and people I dont know... and also next time we're going to Mexico, we definitely are staying with YOU, guys, again. You are amazing, guys!! Thank you for an unforgettable holidays ♥ while I was staying with you I was treated like a princess :) This Dreams resort is a real dream to stay in!!!!!!!! 5+++++++ <3

7  Thank Carolina P
Grand Residences Riviera Cancun
Grand Residences Riviera Cancun
#1 of 28 in Puerto Morelos
Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!