My husband and I went to Dreams for a quick anniversary trip. We have been to the Riviera Maya before, but never to Dreams. Overall, I think the resort was pretty good:
We were offered champagne upon arrival and the bellman took care of our luggage. The check-in clerk was efficient, but not overly friendly. Like other Caribbean resorts, the lobby is open, but it isn't as grand or opulent as some other resorts we've been to. Our room was ready at check-in (around 1), which was really great.
The room is definately set up more for a couple than a family with an open bathroom concept (which is odd because everything else around the resort seemed very family-oriented). I couldn't imagine being there with a teenager. It was decorated very nicely and we had a partial view of the ocean (paying for the lowest room rate). My biggest comlaint about the room was the hard bed. I woke up everyday with a sore back. Also, the lighting in the bathroom area could be better--definately not conducive for doing makeup. We didn't have any issues with our air conditioning, nor did we notice any damp/mildewy smells like some others have mentioned.
Breakfast, for lack of a better word, was awful. My pancakes and french toast were either cold or runny in the center, and the scrambled eggs were consistently underdone. I would suggest the made-to-order omelets for an edible breakfast. We tried the buffet and the sit-down restaurants for lunch. The buffet was just okay, but both sit-down restaurants (by the pool/beach) were pretty good, though service at the Seaside Grill was really abysmal. For dinner, skip the Japanese restaurant (Himitsu) unless you're doing Hibachi. The sushi was bad--it tasted like sugar was added to everything, really unnatural. The Mexican restaurant was great and the French Restaurant was also really wonderful. The service was excellent. I really liked that no reservations were required. We didn't experience a wait either, but got to dinner by 7 each night. The drinks were extremely weak. I couldn't even taste alcohol in most of them. The wine, though not great, was tolerable.
The beach was pretty good. There was lots of seaweed, but this couldn't be helped and they raked the beach at least once a day and sometimes twice. Also, we saw tons of fish just in a few feet of water (no need to swim out). The jellyfish flag was up each day, but we never saw any. The water is not calm, but certainly swimmable. The pools were nice, but I would have preferred an adults only/quiet pool. I think this area definately caters more towards children/families.
Everyone was extremely nice (even those who couldn't speak English said hello and were very friendly). The woman on the beach provided the best drink service, responding to every request with "It would be my pleasure." Awesome! The Barracuda Bar had extremely slow service (even if you tipped), but the bartenders were still friendly and the swings were great.
Probably the best entertainment at any AI we've been to. There was something different every night (and sometimes two different things a night). I would caution though, that if you have a room near the lobby, you can hear the music from your room.
Overall, I thought the resort was very nice, though I felt it catered more towards families with children. For this reason, I wouldn't go back for a romantic vacation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The luxurious Dreams Riviera Cancun takes its personality from its incredible location — just 30 minutes from the "hot" excitement of Cancun yet right on the "cool" Caribbean close to Playa del Carmen and many other of the Mayan Riviera’s most sought after sights. Most importantly, it is an enchanting wonderland where families, couples, singles and friends enjoy all the pleasures and privileges of Unlimited-Luxury® where everything is included. Your whole being will relax immediately, surrounded by our large sun-dappled swimming pools and a sugar white sand beach. To this, add lush tropical gardens and of course, our fabulous palm-filled beach. Your day and evening activities range from exciting to purely relaxing — with plenty to do for everyone including endless land and water activities, a world-class Dreams Spa by Pevonia and fitness center, nearby golf and much more. "Home" features the uniquely shaped octagonal room or suite, beautifully appointed with a private balcony, marble floors and full marble bath area with Jacuzzi tub and dozens of other luxury amenities and conveniences that anticipate your desires and fulfill them instantly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Hotwire, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort And Spa
- Dreams Riviera Cancun Hotel Puerto Morelos
- Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Morelos