Trip Advisor Review
I just got back from a week with my husband and two kids (9 and 12). This was our first trip to Mexico and first all-inclusive. We decided to really relax and chose not to go on any off-site excursions. We went last week of March 26-April 2....during our spring break. I read most of the Trip Advisor reviews before we booked this resort and before we left. First off, I have to say...it was a wonderful resort. We're tempted to go back next year but feel like we should try a new experience. Warning.....this is a long review.
ROOM: The room we asked for was supposed to have two double beds but they only had a king and a single (brought in) available. I'm not sure where the communication break down occurred. Truthfully, it worked out better anyway with the single and king beds for our family. We did find our room noisy. We had a ground floor room with a plunge pool. The family above us woke very early every day and it sounded like chairs being scraped above our heads. We were tired enough we managed to sleep through it but if you're susceptible to noise....bring a white noise machine. As others have mentioned, the layout of the room with a toilet with frosted glass/clear glass border, shower with a frosted glass/clear glass border, spaces above the shower and toilet, bathtub placement and mirror placement can make privacy (visually and audibly) a problem. However, despite these things the room was lovely. It was always very clean. The double sinks and storage in the bathroom was fantastic.....especially for a family of 4. The plunge pool was really appreciated by my kids. It's unheated but I saw it being cleaned a few times and I suspect it's done daily. To our surprise even the TV was good.....Disney and Teletoon! The maid service was very thorough....thank you Elli. My daughter even noticed that she cleaned her hairbrush. WOW. The kids appreciated finding their stuffies in cute new positions each day.
RESORT ITSELF: It was beautiful and very clean. They seem to clean every nook and cranny all day long. The layout is not too big. If you forget something it's not a big trek to your room. Everything feels close. The landscaping is lovely. The pools are nice, too. There's really only one main pool but it never felt crowded. It has a beautiful view of the ocean and it's heated. There's a shallow kids pool (with ping pong tables) and an activity pool also...which I don't think are heated. We did have to get up early to get spots by the pool. It does fill up but I think that's anywhere.
As others have mentioned, there is some seaweed but it's not excessive or the large clumps I've seen on the Western coast of Canada. The water colour is beautiful. You can see down to about your knees....not totally clear. There is security on the beach even though it's technically public.....we didn't see a single person selling services or goods in front of the resort on the beach.
My kids, 9 and 12 only went once. I think it's ideal for younger children. I did notice there seems to be a nice selection of teen activities spaced throughout the week in the schedule. (My kids didn't complain about being bored once.)
Any time we did have to wait for seating at a buffet or restaurant it went by quickly. You can always grab a cocktail in the lobby while you wait for your pager to go off. Lots of variety at the World Cafe for breakfast and lunch. We ate everywhere at least once. The food was good....not great. Others may say it was great, however, I'm a bit of a foodie. I wasn't disappointed by the food....just not awed. Service was always very good.
I know from reading about other Mexico all-inclusives how rare this is....brand name and top shelf liquor. My husband even managed to find a 12 year old scotch and they offer Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay and another white (can't remember the varietal right now) throughout the resort. I didn't find the drinks weak. Again....service was fantastic. Special thanks to Samuel and Israel ....remembering what I ordered. At the lobby bar Jasmyn was amazing....and remembered what different drinks we'd tried over a few days. She was wonderful to talk to...and never made us feel like she was too busy for a quick chat. We'll miss her. The kids enjoyed nonalcoholic versions of all the slushy drinks, too.
Coco Cafe was a real treat. They even make decaf frappucinos.....to my daughter's delight. They could show Starbucks a thing or two. The service was lightning fast and they prebrew and chill their espresso so even their frappucinos are made quickly....and smoother than Starbucks.
We caught 3 shows. 2 were very good...."Circus Maximus" and the break dancing show. I'm glad we didn't miss them. They set up another bar and popcorn at the back of the seating....nice touch.
We tried just about every included activity. The entertainment staff were the highlight of this. They have great energy ....all day long. I'm not sure how they do it. They were all terrific but Rosy, Fredy and Christian really stood out and we enjoyed our time with them. I think if we'd stayed another week Rosy might have even been able to get my husband dancing.
OTHER BITS: As I've mentioned, the service was fantastic and this would be the number one reason I'd return. We also found the on-site doctor (bad sunburn), the concierge (getting medication and getting boarding passes), the wait staff, the bartenders, the lifeguards and security (they helped us find a missing child) and the building maintenance staff (quickly dealt with plumbing issue) just as friendly and helpful as the bartenders, wait staff and entertainment staff. I'm really hoping we can return someday.....soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The luxurious Dreams Riviera Cancun takes its personality from its incredible location — just 30 minutes from the "hot" excitement of Cancun yet right on the "cool" Caribbean close to Playa del Carmen and many other of the Mayan Riviera’s most sought after sights. Most importantly, it is an enchanting wonderland where families, couples, singles and friends enjoy all the pleasures and privileges of Unlimited-Luxury® where everything is included. Your whole being will relax immediately, surrounded by our large sun-dappled swimming pools and a sugar white sand beach. To this, add lush tropical gardens and of course, our fabulous palm-filled beach. Your day and evening activities range from exciting to purely relaxing — with plenty to do for everyone including endless land and water activities, a world-class Dreams Spa by Pevonia and fitness center, nearby golf and much more. "Home" features the uniquely shaped octagonal room or suite, beautifully appointed with a private balcony, marble floors and full marble bath area with Jacuzzi tub and dozens of other luxury amenities and conveniences that anticipate your desires and fulfill them instantly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Agoda so you can book your Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort And Spa
- Dreams Riviera Cancun Hotel Puerto Morelos
- Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Morelos