“Can't Wait to Go Back (4.5 Stars)”

Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Calgary, Canada
“Can't Wait to Go Back (4.5 Stars)”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Trip Advisor Review

I just got back from a week with my husband and two kids (9 and 12). This was our first trip to Mexico and first all-inclusive. We decided to really relax and chose not to go on any off-site excursions. We went last week of March 26-April 2....during our spring break. I read most of the Trip Advisor reviews before we booked this resort and before we left. First off, I have to say...it was a wonderful resort. We're tempted to go back next year but feel like we should try a new experience. Warning.....this is a long review.

ROOM: The room we asked for was supposed to have two double beds but they only had a king and a single (brought in) available. I'm not sure where the communication break down occurred. Truthfully, it worked out better anyway with the single and king beds for our family. We did find our room noisy. We had a ground floor room with a plunge pool. The family above us woke very early every day and it sounded like chairs being scraped above our heads. We were tired enough we managed to sleep through it but if you're susceptible to noise....bring a white noise machine. As others have mentioned, the layout of the room with a toilet with frosted glass/clear glass border, shower with a frosted glass/clear glass border, spaces above the shower and toilet, bathtub placement and mirror placement can make privacy (visually and audibly) a problem. However, despite these things the room was lovely. It was always very clean. The double sinks and storage in the bathroom was fantastic.....especially for a family of 4. The plunge pool was really appreciated by my kids. It's unheated but I saw it being cleaned a few times and I suspect it's done daily. To our surprise even the TV was good.....Disney and Teletoon! The maid service was very thorough....thank you Elli. My daughter even noticed that she cleaned her hairbrush. WOW. The kids appreciated finding their stuffies in cute new positions each day.

RESORT ITSELF: It was beautiful and very clean. They seem to clean every nook and cranny all day long. The layout is not too big. If you forget something it's not a big trek to your room. Everything feels close. The landscaping is lovely. The pools are nice, too. There's really only one main pool but it never felt crowded. It has a beautiful view of the ocean and it's heated. There's a shallow kids pool (with ping pong tables) and an activity pool also...which I don't think are heated. We did have to get up early to get spots by the pool. It does fill up but I think that's anywhere.

BEACH:
As others have mentioned, there is some seaweed but it's not excessive or the large clumps I've seen on the Western coast of Canada. The water colour is beautiful. You can see down to about your knees....not totally clear. There is security on the beach even though it's technically public.....we didn't see a single person selling services or goods in front of the resort on the beach.

KIDS CLUB:
My kids, 9 and 12 only went once. I think it's ideal for younger children. I did notice there seems to be a nice selection of teen activities spaced throughout the week in the schedule. (My kids didn't complain about being bored once.)

FOOD:
Any time we did have to wait for seating at a buffet or restaurant it went by quickly. You can always grab a cocktail in the lobby while you wait for your pager to go off. Lots of variety at the World Cafe for breakfast and lunch. We ate everywhere at least once. The food was good....not great. Others may say it was great, however, I'm a bit of a foodie. I wasn't disappointed by the food....just not awed. Service was always very good.

DRINK:
I know from reading about other Mexico all-inclusives how rare this is....brand name and top shelf liquor. My husband even managed to find a 12 year old scotch and they offer Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay and another white (can't remember the varietal right now) throughout the resort. I didn't find the drinks weak. Again....service was fantastic. Special thanks to Samuel and Israel ....remembering what I ordered. At the lobby bar Jasmyn was amazing....and remembered what different drinks we'd tried over a few days. She was wonderful to talk to...and never made us feel like she was too busy for a quick chat. We'll miss her. The kids enjoyed nonalcoholic versions of all the slushy drinks, too.

Coco Cafe was a real treat. They even make decaf frappucinos.....to my daughter's delight. They could show Starbucks a thing or two. The service was lightning fast and they prebrew and chill their espresso so even their frappucinos are made quickly....and smoother than Starbucks.

EVENING ENTERTAINMENT:
We caught 3 shows. 2 were very good...."Circus Maximus" and the break dancing show. I'm glad we didn't miss them. They set up another bar and popcorn at the back of the seating....nice touch.

INCLUDED ACTIVITIES:
We tried just about every included activity. The entertainment staff were the highlight of this. They have great energy ....all day long. I'm not sure how they do it. They were all terrific but Rosy, Fredy and Christian really stood out and we enjoyed our time with them. I think if we'd stayed another week Rosy might have even been able to get my husband dancing.

OTHER BITS: As I've mentioned, the service was fantastic and this would be the number one reason I'd return. We also found the on-site doctor (bad sunburn), the concierge (getting medication and getting boarding passes), the wait staff, the bartenders, the lifeguards and security (they helped us find a missing child) and the building maintenance staff (quickly dealt with plumbing issue) just as friendly and helpful as the bartenders, wait staff and entertainment staff. I'm really hoping we can return someday.....soon.

11 Thank CathyinCalgary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,684)
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We just arrived back after spending 2 weeks at the Dreams Mayan Riviera. There are definitely pros and cons but in summary we were very disappointed. The good news - we found the resort extremely clean and very well kept, no issues with the grounds, rooms or housekeeping (although the pools did not seem very clean). The bad news - long lineups for restaurants (not going to happen when travelling with a 2 year old), not being able to get a chair by the pools for the entire 2 week stay (hotel's policy of not holding chairs for more than 20 minutes is a joke.....most chairs sat empty because people put their stuff on it at 4am), service was mediocre at best (many of the staff only paid attention to heavy tippers which is ridiculous for an 'ultra' all inclusive - spending a small fortune on the hotel itself is clearly not enough), complex was extremely noisy if your room was by the pool (not everyone wants to hear 'Gangnam Style' 10 times a day blaring until 10pm...the sound of the ocean would be nice), VIP service is non-existent (the premium rooms offer no bonus, other patrons sneak into the VIP lounge anyways, the true VIP patrons can't even take a bottle of wine to their room).

NOT worth the money. Far better options to consider in the Mayan Riviera. We will not be back.

14 Thank TDS704
NJ
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Planned a girl's trip with an old college roommate for the week after Easter, just got back yesterday :) (we are 27 y/o) Overall we had a really really great trip. I've been to Dreams Puerto Aventuras as well for my sister's wedding 2 years ago, so I sort of knew what to expect here. In terms of comparison to the other resort, food, etc are pretty much the same but the beach, lobby, and pool area is bigger here. That being said, I have mostly positive things to say, with a few negative experiences.

Positive:

The room, although not private, was modern, clean, and didn't have that moldy smell some tropical resorts can have. If you are a super private person and want a real door as opposed to glass on the shower and toilet room then this resort definitely isn't for you. Neither of us actually found this to be a problem at all. We were on the 5th floor in a double "gardenview", but actually had a really good oceanview from our room as well.

Service: Found majority of the workers to be smiling, engaging, and friendly....if people say otherwise, perhaps they weren't being nice to the workers themselves. Antonio served us drinks by the pool everyday and we loved him!

Food: I'm really picky, and I've been to a lot of all-inclusives in Mexico and Dreams is really superb. There are a ton of options everywhere and everything I had was delicious! People mentioned long waits for dinner....we actually went to dinner around 8 every night and NEVER had a wait at any restaurant.

Cons: I rarely really have anything negative to say about vacations but there are a few things I would change. #1- WAY TOO MANY KIDS. Apparently this is a family resort which is fine, but maybe they could make the infinity pool adults only, or ban kids from jumping in this pool. It was impossible to just sit there and relax without a kid splashing, kicking, throwing a ball at you, etc. I'm sure I wouldn't have cared as much if I had kids yet, but I don't...and I thought this resort would have an adults only section like Dreams Puerto Aventuras did. Additionally, we had to wake up at 5:30am everyday to get chairs by the pool, crazy! I think it was just super crowded during Spring Break week....I hope this isn't the norm here.

Secondly, we walked into a super shady situation in our room. My roommate and I had to drop off pictures we bought and went to our room around 11am which we NEVER did. Upon arrival our door was shut with maid cart outside. We went in our room and the maid was there and some guy in a tan uniform with a clipboard. When we questioned what the hell was going on the guy pretended not to speak English which I knew was a total act, and then started to tell us that he was there to tell us what we need to lock up in the room. (pointing to a phone that was charging and a cheap costume jewelry necklace???) None of it made sense, additionally, our safe was WIDE open when we had locked it when we left. Super strange...the guy pretty much ran out of the room and looked back as he did. I did not file a complaint because I knew I would get the run around and nothing would ever be done. Just be careful and don't bring anything irreplaceable here.

Would I go back...yes, absolutely. Probably just not during crowded spring break time.

Room Tip: Wouldn't recommend wasting money on a plunge pool, never once saw anyone in them. Additionally...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank KimmyNJ
Glen Ellyn, Illinois, United States
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The resort is nice, new, and big; maybe too big for my liking, but I can always work around that. The size causes numerous problems, not least of which is that you inevitably have to wait long periods of time to get a seat at a restaurant during prime dining hours, but it normally wasn't too awful, i.e., typically only 15 minutes or so. The worst incident, and always had a super long wait, was at Portofino, the Italian place, where we had to wait 1.5 hours for a table. And this was typical. Once we were seated, the food was average at best. Very disappointing.

Another issue related to size was the fact that not once, not one single time, during our seven day stay, were we able to secure lounges in the shade, either on the beach or around the pools. Every single space had been saved every day before dawn. How do I know this? We awake early to work out and we both checked each day. Not a chair to be had. Problem is, those seats were only occupied about 50% of the time, if that. The resort needs to do a much better job of regulating and allocating those spaces to ensure they're actually being used. Hogging up seven spots for two adults and five kids is simply unacceptable, especially when the kids are in the water 90% of the time.

I was unable to order a bottle of wine from room service. I even went so far as to go to some of the restaurants and ask to purchase a bottle to take back to our room during our dinner. I was told this was not possible. After trying to make myself understood on three different occasions, I gave up and went back to the room. Seriously. This is an all-inclusive resort and I can't order a damn bottle of wine for my wife and I to drink in our room? Again, this is unacceptable as I was more than willing to pay the upcharge for a better bottle than the house pour.

Service was OK, but not great. Again, because the resort was so large, it was nearly impossible to make a personal connection with anyone. As well, the staff were so harassed and harried that their smiles and friendliness seemed forced. This was the exact opposite of our experience at our previous stay at Dreams in Puerto Aventuras. As an example, the people staying above us played furniture moving olympics every night 'round 11 and every morning 'round 6:30. What the heck they were dragging and bumping across the floor, I have no idea. I called the front desk and complained, but it didn't stop the late night/early morning activities upstairs.

Finally, both my wife and became very ill while we were there. We both succumbed to Montezuma's Revenge, me worse than her, and had to be treated with a five-day course of Cipro upon our return. Neither my wife nor I ever ate or drank anything outside of the resort. In other words, everything we consumed had passed through the resort. I was so ill on the Thursday that I was forced to stay in bed all day and missed our one excursion. Naturally, the excursion company charged me even though I didn't (and couldn't have) gone.

Again, nice place. New. Room and appointments were outstanding, but we will not be going back.

6 Thank Ken J
South Lake Tahoe, California
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Dreams has a number of properties along the Riviera Maya. Cancun seemed a little too "touristy" and Tulum seemed a bit too remote. Once selecting Puerto Morelos, I began to have post-purchase dissidence. However......

We found the location to be just perfect. Cancun was 30 minutes north, while Playa Del Carmen was 30 minutes south. Either city was easily accessed by taxi, bus or rental car. We actually preferred the ADO bus service.

Dreams Riviera Cancun had it all and much, much more. We had an oceanfront suite with the "preferred package". The Preferred Lounge was heaven, however, the entire property was delightful. I was never more pleased to be in an "all-inclusive". The 10 restaurants served tasty food in very pleasing environments. Our favorite was the French restaurant.

The village of Puerto Morelos is awesome. Though we purchased side trips from Best Day Travel at the hotel - if we go back, we will definitely by these packages through the local vendors in the city center next time (and save nearly 200% !). The beach along Puerto Morelos is natural (compared to Cancun and Playa Del Carmen). As the national reef is just offshore, there is quite a bit of sea grass/seaweed along the waters edge, but we got used to that and very much enjoyed it. The people along the beach are more laid-back and many are short-term Canadians that spend 4 to 6 months there.

Overall, I highly recommend Dreams Riviera Cancun and we were glad to have gone

Room Tip: Get a Preferred oceanfront room, you'll be happy you did. We liked the top floor of the north bu...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Robert S
Yorkton, Canada
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a beautiful resort. An amazing place to lay back, relax, and have a stress free holiday. The rooms are spacious and include all the amenities you could possibly ask for. The bed was comfortable, the shower had great pressure, and the staff did a meticulous cleaning job every single day we were there. The restaurant choices are endless, and we loved that you didn't have to make a reservation for a la carte...you simply ate where you wanted when you wanted. The infinity pool was gorgeous as was the beach. Puerto Morelos is short 20 minute walk down the beach.
There were two downfalls. The first was that the water activities (kayaks, etc) were all scheduled group events and were not available for use whenever you would like. The resorts we have stayed at in the past allow you to reserve a time to use the water craft, etc and use them at your leisure during that alotted time. The second was the location of this resort. It was at least 20 minutes via taxi to either Playa Del Carmen or Cancun. As we enjoy making frequent trips to the various markets and attractions on our own within the cities/towns surrounding us, the location made it a bit more expensive to see everything we wanted to. The use of a taxi service to/from the above is about $40 US one way.
Also, some guests did wake up very early to reserve loungers around the pool, however there were plenty of loungers to go around.
Overall, this was a very nice vacation. We would highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a relaxing getaway. One thing to keep in mind is that this is a family resort and there were a lot of small children there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Avery B
Wilmette, Illinois
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We just back from our 2nd trip to Dreams Riviera Cancun. We love the place. It is very clean and the service is great. It is a cozy property, which works well with our 2 kids (5 & 9). The restaurants are varied and good food for an all-inclusive.

My kids love the Explorers Club. The staff are great (Vanessa, Joana, Sandra, Alin, Aliz, Pilar)! The kids were very comfortable there. The program is great for dropping in and out during the day. It's a nice mix for us and the kids.

It's also a short ride from the airport which is key!

We'd go back again.

Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#40 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!