7,379 results
All reviewsworld cafeplunge poolpreferred clubseaside grillel patioswim up barkids clubfrench restaurantexplorers clubcoco cafeoceana restaurantocean viewpaellawedding coordinatorfamily vacationdestination weddingmaster suite
Reviewed February 8, 2013

My husband and I just took a four night babymoon to this resort, and it was incredible!! We didn't have to leave the resort for anything. They had plenty of restaurants, activities and entertainment to make us not want to leave the hotel AT ALL. Had I not been 6 months pregnant, we definitely would have left to do a few excursions, but we stayed around, got massages, swam in the pool and just relaxed. It was ideal. The food was delicious at all seven restaurants, the service was amazing and the room was wonderful. We stayed at one with a personal "dipping" pool, which was lovely on those hot days.

Also, the resort was both family friendly and couple oriented. While there were lots of kids there and plenty for them to do, it didn't get in the way if you wanted to have a "couples only" type of vacation that is more romantic. It was big enough where you had your own space, but small enough, where you got to know people and could enjoy the comraderie at the pool bar or pool activities.

I would definitely go back ....

Room Tip: If you can afford the little extra bit of money, go for the personal dipping pool, where you have your own mini-pool outside of your bedroom. It is so relaxing on a hot night!!!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SSDuckett
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Just returned and it was an okay resort. There are A La Carte restaurants but they do not accept reservations so be prepared for a wait when you want to eat. The only reservation that can be made is to sit at the cooking table in the Japanese Himitsu restaurant and this was by far our best meal of the week.
Main buffet is only average and does not change much during the week, also quite small so crowded and noisy. Food is good and the servers are nice but it should be bigger for the size of the resort.
Pools are nice but again small for the size of the resort. A couple of days the main Infiniti pool was absolutely crammed as it has the only access to a swim up bar. Swim up bar staff are often overwhelmed with the workload but do well considering.
Very small beach and really not swimable. Swimming area is buoyed off but quite small and no fish to see. Was at the Barcelo (south of Playa del Carmen) last year and the beaches and snorkeling are phenomenal. We did not see one person swimming in this Dreams resort beach the whole week.
Rooms were nice and the jacuzzi in the room is a nice touch. Resort is well cleaned and staff are friendly. One thing we found was our room was very noisy with cleaning ladies talking, laughing and sometimes yelling outside our door at 8 am. The disco Desires can be loud too but it shuts down at 1 am.
The nightly entertainment is average but the Friday night Rock Circus was fantastic. Lots of real good hard rock songs mixed with acrobats, a unique combination.
Overall, a decent resort but the Barcelo offered far better accommodations, beach and pools for the same cost. Lesson learned for us.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms that are around 1430-1450 as the noise level is very loud.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hfxbob
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We were at Dreams Riviera Cancun - Jan 23 - 30, 2013. 4 -40 somethings, 2 - 50 somethings, 9yo and 11yo.

LOVED this hotel. We all had a blast and didn't spend a lot of time off property. Food was Excellent in the buffet and all the restaurants.

We spent most of our time on the beach or in the infinity pool. Tip the waitress/waiter a little extra and they will bring your drinks to you on the beach. The bar with swings on the beach was our favorite hangout. Alberto, Eric, and others were just great!!

Dislikes _
**Internet service HORRIBLE. $60 for the week and didn't work half the time. I know we were on vacation but we wanted to keep in contact or at least check in with 17and 20yo at home.
**Bring earplugs if your room is near the lobby. Music at night is VERY LOUD but it was pretty much done by 10-10:30.

LOVED IT!! Already planning a return trip for next January for our 25th Anniversary.

6  Thank dlanvinson
Reviewed February 6, 2013

For the past 6 years a group of family and friends have travelled to the Cancun area of Mexico. We have stayed a various resorts and so far the Dreams Riveria Cancun has been our favorite.The food was great and they had top shelf liquor at all the bars not just the VIP areas. The french restaurant had to be one of the best we have been to but the other alcarts held a close tie.The buffet always had alittle something for everyone even the pickiest of people. The entertainment staff was a lot of fun and a big thank you to Sophia for making our trip so much fun. The service around to pool was great thanks to David and Antonio who were always there to see if we needed anything.I would not think twice about recomending this resort to anyone all 12 of us had a great time.

4  Thank Charlene H
Reviewed February 5, 2013

First time posting on T/A and I do a lot of reserach before booking. We stayed at DRC Jan.28 - Feb.4. I've visited the Mayan for 5 years straight because like most of us coming from Canada, we want a winter escape, relax and have a good time. I travelled with my wife and 2 kids, 7 months and 3 year old. The flight on Sunwing had about a dozen kids of similar age, some coped better than others. On both flights, the tubby gal sitting in front of me decides to recline her chair all the back leaving me no room in an already cramped seat..completely rude and inconsiderate seeing how I have to entertain an infant for 4 hours on my lap. As always the case in the Mayan, my hat goes off to the staff, so hard working and doing their best to provide a memorable guests experience. I tipped in pesos for the first time and I found it makes a diffrence. The resort negatives are: the pool area isn't relaxing b/c the lounge chairs make you feel like your stacked beside your neighbour, the pool music was brutal and gave me a headache at around midday, the entertainment crew isn't as engaging towards guests as I've seen elsewhere, the noise during the evenings due to the configuration of buildings, ridiculous towel-chair saving game starting at 6:30 am (even with the written notices provided at check-in asking not to do it) and some other minor annoyances like the yo-yo water temp in shower, ant colony seen marching thru a hole in the bottom tile of toliet stall, too soft of mattress for my liking. Back to the noise issue, nothing worse than being woken up at 3 a.m. to the sound of drunken idiots who decide to take the party over to the hot tub waking everyone up in the process - the Quebec mofos need to learn manners. The positives are: the service, food except for oceania and seaside at dinner, infinity pool, and perks at the preferred club. My favourite food choices were: Dinner at Himitsu for tepan yaki (beef, chicken, shrimp combo), spring roll, fired banana dessert - the pad thai was far from the kind most people are familiar with and laden in heavy sauce. Dinner at El Patio for flank steak and papblano pepper potatoes, tortilla soup. Dinner at Portofino for shrimp agnotti and fish soup with pernod - the mussles were very salty and tomato/boccini salad was below average.Slow service at oceania and seasid is a small annoyance but understandably given the traffic. I suspect that oceania or barefoot grill burgers/pizza may be ground zero for causing stomache/diarrhea issues with our family. The fish tacos at oceania were good. Another food sore spot is the morning coffee at world cafe tastes like cleaning product which may explain my sore throat going on day 3 now. Check-in & out was seemless and rooms are a good size, we had an amazing view from the balcony directy overlooking kiddie pool, infinity and ocean about 300 m away. A 2.5 km walk brings you to a small fishing village of Puerto Morelos.

Room Tip: Recommend the preferred club oceanview room, first block, floors 3-5, rooms 1X48-1X51 (where x=3,4,5). Plunge pool isn't worth the extra, money better spent on getting a view with a large balcony
2  Thank setsonthebeach