We returned last night from a week long stay at the Dreams Riviera resort. There were 14 of us in our group, travelling down from various parts of Canada via Air Canada Vacations. Most had been to Cancun/Mayan Riviera before and a few had enjoyed several trips to the Valentin Imperial. At the end of the trip - those that had been to the Valentin preferred it to Dreams.
Check-in was very smooth - wait wasn't long, we were provided champagne and cold towels and within 5 minutes were on our way to the room. Rooms were very nice - bed was comfortable, cleaning staff did a wonderful job throughout the week, ensuring that the room was clean, mini-bar was stocked and our bed was turned down every night. We were in building number 2 on the 4th floor, oceanview room. The view of the ocean wasn't fantastic, but we avoided noise from the hottub which others from our group had to listen to, being closer to the water. Overall - the rooms were up to the 5 star caliber with no major issues (few minor ones included a shower that didn't drain very well, a rumbling sink faucet when the hot water was turned on too much, etc).
Beach - it was nice - service was good on the beach and the noise levels were more moderate. Water was a bit of a disapointment as it was fairly rocky/reedy on the ocean floor at this particular part. We walked down to Puerto Moreales and the beach/ocean was much nicer down there. Nevertheless, we spent most of our time during the day on the beach.
Pools - gorgeous - very busy while we were there with kids and a corporate event that took over the infiniti pool. The ping pong tables were a hit, we spent a fair amount of time using them throughout the week.
Drinks - no issues here either. We discovered the ultra premium selection available at each bar early in the trip. Simply ask for Grey Goose/Don Julio/Bombay and they will gladly use it for any drinks. Service was generally good, though the lobby bar was quite crowded around dinner time and in the evening.
Food - the food was a letdown in my eyes. There were some bright spots - Oceana was a gorgeous restaurant overlooking the ocean and the french restaurant was quite good. But overall, the food was not up to 5 star standards. Omelettes in the morning were sub par - ingredients were not all mixed together and cooked - peppers/meat were cooked seperately from the egg which was odd. Buffet had a strong odor and was packed with kids, so we only ate there twice. We had a pleasant room service experience, but others in our group did not. The consistency simply wasn't there and it should be!
Entertainment - A bit of a mixed bag here. The shows were well done for the most part, but they are all held on the steps to the lobby. So if you are sitting in the lobby having a drink, you can't have a conversation with anyone because the music is so loud. They had nightly music in the lobby afterwards too, a nice touch, but the acoustics were off. Way too loud and we were a group in our late 20s/early 30s.
We would try out another Dreams resort - have heard that Tulum is quite nice. But if returning to the Mayan Riviera again, would take our business to Excellence or the Valentin.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The luxurious Dreams Riviera Cancun takes its personality from its incredible location — just 30 minutes from the "hot" excitement of Cancun yet right on the "cool" Caribbean close to Playa del Carmen and many other of the Mayan Riviera’s most sought after sights. Most importantly, it is an enchanting wonderland where families, couples, singles and friends enjoy all the pleasures and privileges of Unlimited-Luxury® where everything is included. Your whole being will relax immediately, surrounded by our large sun-dappled swimming pools and a sugar white sand beach. To this, add lush tropical gardens and of course, our fabulous palm-filled beach. Your day and evening activities range from exciting to purely relaxing — with plenty to do for everyone including endless land and water activities, a world-class Dreams Spa by Pevonia and fitness center, nearby golf and much more. "Home" features the uniquely shaped octagonal room or suite, beautifully appointed with a private balcony, marble floors and full marble bath area with Jacuzzi tub and dozens of other luxury amenities and conveniences that anticipate your desires and fulfill them instantly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort And Spa
- Dreams Riviera Cancun Hotel Puerto Morelos
- Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Morelos