7,371 results
All reviewsworld cafeplunge poolpreferred clubseaside grillel patioswim up barkids clubfrench restaurantexplorers clubcoco cafeoceana restaurantocean viewpaellawedding coordinatorfamily vacationdestination weddingmaster suite
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We just returned from a week-long stay at Dreams Riviera Maya Cancun. My family of 5 (wife and kids 14, 11, and 6) traveled with 8 other family members. In short, this was the best family vacation I’ve ever been on, but you should be careful about the dates you choose to go. I’m now a big fan of the all-inclusive travel for families with kids. It’s not all about the food and drink; another big benefit of a place like the Dreams is the shows and other entertainment opportunities for the kids to enjoy on a regular basis. I’m not completely sold that an all-inclusive would be great for adults without kids, but I do see how it could be a benefit. Other than a great excursion for zip lining (http://www.selvatica.com.mx/) we never left the resort. The resort was nicer than I expected. The rooms were small, but manageable for our group. Our oldest son shared a room with my brother in-law, so we had 2 adults and 2 kids in our standard room with ocean view. It wasn’t spacious, but it was manageable. You really don’t need the room for anything but sleeping. The beds weren’t huge, but ok for an adult with a younger kid. If you need space to sleep or if you’re sharing with an adult or older (14-18) kids, it could be a problem. There are adjoining rooms, which could give you one king bed and two full-size beds. More room for a family of 4, but obviously more expensive.
A few other quick hits before the concern…
Drinks and bars were fabulous. Swing bar on the beach was great as was service around the pools. The food was good – some great, some good, some not so good, but you don’t have to eat what you don’t like. Staff was fabulous. Service at restaurants was generally good. Excellent in the evenings and mornings; average during lunch.
I spent one afternoon at the spa and it was awesome. If you need a few hours away from the good family activity around the pool, I highly recommend a massage at the spa or just some hours to relax in the pools, steam, and/or sauna. Not too expensive either.
HERE’S THE CONCERN AND IT’S FOR DREAMS TO RESOLVE: We arrived 12/30/12 and the first 5 days were wonderful! We enjoyed the company of many other families enjoying the resort like we were. There were plenty of activities during the day, the pools were clean, and people seemed to be doing the same types of things. In the evenings the adults had opportunities to enjoy themselves, but it remained family friendly – that is the people drinking at the resort were controlling themselves. On Thursday evening that all changed. Dreams must have offered some huge discount for that weekend, because a few small groups of adults arrived along with a group of 200 young adults from a company arrived for a “work” conference. The bars immediately became crowded with people there looking to drink more than they should at this type of resort. I saw people smoking all over the resort including a few in the pool. The next day the pool was disgusting - lots of adults congregating in the pool with beer cans in each hand unless they were holding a cigarette in one hand. When I ventured in the pool with my kids, I immediately felt dirty. That night, more of the same at the lobby bar. Saturday the company organized a scavenger hunt around the resort – more adults running around the pools. I guess the good news about this is that they weren’t in the pool.
All in the all the trip was great, BUT when you pick and PAY for a nice place like the Dreams, you shouldn’t have to put up with some of the nonsense that you get with some adults or business people at an all-inclusive. IF you’re booking a trip I suggest you ask if any large groups will be attending the resort while you are there. IF the group had been there for our entire trip, I would have been disappointed and my rating wouldn’t be high. Hope this helps!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
13  Thank K S
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Food top notch, plenty of choice, steak night every other night at Seaside grill was excellent - Chateaubriand/ rib - eye/ new york etc. I thought the idea of
Great choice of drinks, service in my view was excellent, we were there over New Year when hotel was full did not have to wait too long at all for a drink.
Only two downsides were the hard sell by restaurant staff for us to buy premium wines in order to reserve a table at the gala dinner even though AI! & a conference where nearly 200 delegates turned up for on 4/1. Some were noisy rude and arrogant to those who had paid a lot of money to stay at the hotel as opposed to having their stay paid for by a company. Surely Dreams needs to look primarily after its main customer base?

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank JohnSandlin
GerenciaDRERC, General Manager's Assistant at Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear Trip Advisor User,

It has been a pleasure to have been chosen for celebrate New Year at Dreams Riviera Cancun.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write us about your pleasant stay at our beautiful resort.
We regret the hassle you experienced with our wait staff at the Gala Dinner and due to another guests misbehavior, which in no way reflects the image we strive to portray at our Resort.

We truly hope these circumstances will not leave you a bad impression on our Resort, and we hope you will give us the opportunity to host you again at Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

This was our second visit to Dreams Riviera Cancun, and we really enjoyed it again! We visited shortly after it opened (March 2010) the last time.
Once again the staff was amazing! Javier (poolside waiter) and Vanessa (Explorers Club)
We opted for a larger room this time which was great - I would HIGHLY recommend the "OceanFront Master Suite" for all families. The living/dining area and master bedroom could be separated with sliding doors, so you really had two bedrooms: one for us, and one for the kids.
The dining area was especially nice to enjoy room service meals too.
My only disappointment this time was the food... I remember enjoying my smoked salmon with capers each morning last visit, and was sad to see it was no longer available. The overall food experience seems to have slipped into a more tasteless, bland, more generally accepted type style... nothing too flavourful, spicy or exotic...

Room Tip: When travelling with families, opt for the OceanFront Master Suite instead of two separate rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank JohnandEmily_10

Dear Trip Advisor User,

It has been a real pleasure to have been chosen for a second time for your vacation.

We are so glad to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay, especially the suite you stay at.

We deeply regret that the food selection at our restaurants did not fulfill your expectations, please be informed that we are continuously revamping our menus and dishes of each of our different Restaurants, nevertheless I have shared your comments with our Executive Chef and we will take the necessary steps to enrich our food offer.

On the other hand, thank you for acknowledge the service Javier & Vanessa provided, they will be more than happy to know that their effort was recognized.

We really appreciate your preference and we look forward the opportunity to welcome you for a third time at Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed Dreams for a wedding and stayed a few extra days to try to get a little relaxation. Here are the pros/cons of our stay (I went with my husband - we are 29 and 33 with no kids)

Pros:
excellent housekeeping
Concierge was helpful

Cons for us:
- Kids everywhere - even crowded the bar area at all bars
- Pools are noisy with kids
- Pool chairs are full of towels to reserve seats, but rarely were they actually used
- food was very sub-par and also waited so long for it to be prepared
- The live music/nightly entertainment was very loud and you could hear it in your room late at night. It was also of poor quality.
- We noticed that the good liquor was kept in the fridge - out of sight out of mind maybe?
- beach has a lot of seaweed
- Seagulls/birds everywhere, very gross when they go in the pool and relieve themselves
- no conditioner in the bathroom
- dress code required for some of the "fancier" restaurants, but kids were allowed in so it defeated the purpose

Send me a message if you have any questions!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Haley S

Dear Trip Advisor User,

It has been a true pleasure have been chosen as a wedding destination.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review about you recent stay at Dreams Riviera Cancun.

We can understand your impressions and dissatisfaction with our Resort. Please accept our sincerest apology for the difficulties you encountered during your stay.
However it should be said that adjustments are being implemented to enable us to continue providing excellent service and to prevent these inconveniences from reoccurring.

We look forward the oportunity to host you and your husband again in our Resort.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Perfect size resort for families. Restaurants good, but be prepared for a leisure dinner! Nothing gets done too fast here. Pool and beach are beautiful! Rooms are clean and very nice, BUT small if you have a crib or children staying with you.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank kfern

Trip Advisor User,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review in regards to your recent stay in Dreams Riviera Cancun.

It is a pleasure for us to know that your vacation went out as you expected it and your family had a pleasant stay.

We look forward to have the opportunity to host you again in a near future.