This was my first time at an all-inclusive resort. So, truly - a vacation and not a travelling type trip. It took a while to get around that mind-set.
The resort is about a 20 minute drive from the airport. Our transfer wasn't included in our vacation package, so we paid $70 roundtrip for a private shuttle with Cancun Transfers for two people. Not bad. A taxi will run you 450 pesos one-way, and likely not nearly as comfortable.
The open-air lobby is gorgeous, leading out to a view of the pools and ocean in the distance.
We pre-booked for a Preferred Oceanview room and it was the best decision. Really, the view is worth it. I actually think it's better than Oceanfront rooms as you're closer to the restaurants and lobby area. The only downside is that being above the pool area, it can get a bit noisy in the early mornings with staff doing their early morning set-ups. I wouldn't let that deter you. If you're on the highest floor (fifth) then that would be less noisy. But, then you might be walking up five flights of stairs if you don't want to walk over to the elevator.
The wireless Internet was terrible in our room. Basically, worthless. But with the Preferred status, you get access to a lounge that has computers with decent connection. Also, little snacks & hors d'oeurves when you just want a bite to eat.
Onto the food. I'm sort of obsessed with food, and I have to say all the meals that I had were enjoyable to some extent. Except for maybe the buffet, but I was only there late-night upon arrival. A good rule of thumb is to order anything with scallops and shrimp.
Bordeaux - French restaurant, fantastic duck entree. Extremely moist and meaty duck leg. Excellent sea scallop appetizer, good foie gras parfait brioche.
El Patio - they will flambe cheese & coffee. Very entertaining and delicious. The espresso that I had here was one of the best in the resort, pour it over some ice-cream and you've got an excellent affogato
Hibitsu - the Teppanyaki experience was entertaining, but nothing exciting food-wise. Don't stress if you miss out on the reso. It's just grilled veggies and meat. The butter they put on the fried rice was eye-openingly tasty. I liked the regular menu more, with a tiger prawn used for tempura and a nice coconut thai chicken soup. I would stick to the scallop and tuna sashimi only.
Room service - we had breakfast every morning on our patio, it was so luxurious to wake up to an egg-white omelette with cheese, chorizo and spinach. Fresh juices, coffee, pastries, home-made muesli with yogurt.
1 pm Paella - it's by the poolside grill. This was FANTASTIC. Better than any I've had in Spain. Loaded with mussels, clams, chicken, chorizo, pork ribs, huge shrimp.
Service all around the resort was very good and we were happy tipping them for it. Fabio is a cutie, super enthusiastic and entertaining - we're glad we went on the biking activity with him to Puerto Morelos.
I love beaches, but I did not bring myself to get into the water. Though warm, at certain times of the day there is a sludgeon of seaweed at the shore-break. I was happier sunbathing in the hammocks, by the pools and on my patio. It's a nice enough 40 minute walk along the beach to Puerto Morelos.
There are weddings every day here. As a guest of one, I can say it was all really nicely done - beautiful setting (if not the most private), entertaining mariachi band during cocktail hour. And an intimate dinner and dancing on the beach reception. They do provide bugspray, but our Deet worked much better. Also, I'm hopeful that our pinata legacy lives on. Viva el Spidey-Hombre!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The luxurious Dreams Riviera Cancun takes its personality from its incredible location — just 30 minutes from the "hot" excitement of Cancun yet right on the "cool" Caribbean close to Playa del Carmen and many other of the Mayan Riviera’s most sought after sights. Most importantly, it is an enchanting wonderland where families, couples, singles and friends enjoy all the pleasures and privileges of Unlimited-Luxury® where everything is included. Your whole being will relax immediately, surrounded by our large sun-dappled swimming pools and a sugar white sand beach. To this, add lush tropical gardens and of course, our fabulous palm-filled beach. Your day and evening activities range from exciting to purely relaxing — with plenty to do for everyone including endless land and water activities, a world-class Dreams Spa by Pevonia and fitness center, nearby golf and much more. "Home" features the uniquely shaped octagonal room or suite, beautifully appointed with a private balcony, marble floors and full marble bath area with Jacuzzi tub and dozens of other luxury amenities and conveniences that anticipate your desires and fulfill them instantly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort And Spa
- Dreams Riviera Cancun Hotel Puerto Morelos
- Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Morelos