“Best BBQ chicken of my live... & I'm from the South.”
Review of Piccolinas

Piccolinas
Ranked #86 of 137 Restaurants in Puerto Morelos
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating
Chicago, Illinois
“Best BBQ chicken of my live... & I'm from the South.”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Sad we ate here only once!

We got lost looking for Chicken Itza (we should really learn Spanish) on a particularly warm day. We had almost given up, but soon smelled Q & began to follow our noses. Its wasn't the legendary Itza I'd read about, but it smelled like heaven & we weren't going any further. We never tried Itza, but we didn't have to... this was the best grilled chicken I've had in all my life.

A whole BBQ chicken & the fixins (delicious rice, bean sauce, pico, etc.) & 2 cokes was less than $10 USD. This ain't your Daddy's dried & burnt chicken quarters. They are perfectly cooked, juicy, deliciously smokey.

The prices are posted on the door & though they knew little English & I little Spanish, we had no problems ordering. Our food arrived very fast--more quickly than any other meal we had in PM.

Seating is outside. They cook the chicken right inside the door. Bring mosquito repellent anywhere off the beach. Contrary to Tripadvisors notation, they do not appear to be open for dinner (at least not on our visit during low season).

These lady's are worth finding! Probably the best meal I had in Mexico.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank JayHi

Brooklyn, New York
“Holy chicken!”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I loved the simplicity and typical Mexican atmosphere and the slow cooked chicken on a giant outdoor grill. Mexicans were eating there, which is a good sign, and the amount of food, salad, hot salsa, tortillas, rice and chicken all for about 50 pesos. Holy chicken! I was in heaven! Plus, I ate the salad and didn't get sick, which means they use purified water to wash it, or at least are careful about things, because I get sick everytime I go to Mexico. Also, if you don't finish your order, ask them to wrap it up to take it with you. A lot of Mexicans were getting food to go, but I sat and watched the town pass me by as I ate a really great lunch! Shy and humble employees are lovely and great servers. Tips are necessary and deserved.

Visited March 2013
3 Thank vabene25
Vancouver, Canada
“Another Great Barbecued Chicken!”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We really enjoyed our lunch here. The young man cooking explained to me how he makes his sauce and was so friendly while he was working really hard to fill orders. He was cooking over a wood fire. We had 1/2 chicken, frijoles, tortillas, rice and a really nice hot salsa with dried chilies. Of course, all was washed down with delicious Mexican Coke.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank gatopaja
St. Catharines, Canada
“Great option”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

After asking half a dozen people where to find this place, and being sent all over town we finally arrived. For the record, it is a block past Cantina Habenero, on the same side of the street, on the corner.

The smell is awesome, the price very cheap, and the chicken was delicious.

The salsa was too hot for us but I enjoyed the cabbage and peppers with the chicken. The tortillas were a bit rubbery..next time I think I would stop at the bakery and get fresh bread or rolls to go with the chicken.

Great food for value.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank justjoy66
“Moved Across the Street Opposite Side Further Down - Recommended”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

This is my type of restaurant in terms of its very nice and authentic
If you want to eat at Mcdonalds in Cancun you might as well stay home in the USA
Very tasty BBQ chicken you can see being cooked on a BBQ grill
I ate twice this time. I admit the first time it seemed not as good as my memory related - but it was later in the day and who knows
The second time - and i gave the place a second chance after a long term local told me it just must of been an off night - as he had the Ribs the night before and they were "just fine".
Anyways the meal was even better than my memory - along with quite a complement of tortillas etc
There was also a nice little cat who enjoyed pieces of chicken
Apparently there are two price lists -one for take-a-way and the other for eat in
They are clearly priced - the eat in may give you a beverage i am not sure
The staff seems to speak Spanish only with limited English but that should stop no one from a very nice and economical meal.
On top of that the one chicken meal was more than enough to eat
Even in spite of limited English the cook and server on staff ( one person ) understood to pack it up so i could have a tasty late night snack.

• Visited January 2013