We booked the NOW Jade via Apple Vacations after researching a variety of resorts in the area via Trip Advisor as well as the resorts own Facebook page. The comments were generally favorable and "two for one" fall special was an unbeatable deal.
Via Facebook, I was aware of the resort's Preferred Club upgrade that allowed guests to have access to a few more perks than standard guests. The prices reporting for upgrading to the preferred area ranged from $30/night to $100/night extra. The upgrade rates are based on hotel capacity and availability.
Upon check-in, we were offered a cold towel and a very good juice drink. We were told to wait for the next available agent. After checking in with our agent, we found out our standard room (tropical/swamp view) was not ready and to check back in a few hours. There was no mention of upgrading at that point. Then we were handed off to another representative, Beatriz (dressed the same as the rest of the hotel staff). Beatriz was going to review all the amenities and discuss where everything was located. After several minutes of scribbling on the resort map and talking about this and that, Beatriz informed us of an exclusive "one-time" offer to earn $100.00 to be used anywhere on property if we simply listened to a 90 minute presentation on Apple's Ultimate Vacation Club. We were told we could apply the $100 to an upgraded room in the Preferred area. Otherwise, the upgrade could cost as much as $200.00!
We have at through time share type presentations before and know the pressure tactics. But we reluctantly agreed to participate so we could get the $100.00. Beatriz set us up for a breakfast meeting the next morning (which, according to her, was the only day this was going to be offered and only to select guests). Suddenly a master suite in the Preferred area opened up and after some more paper work, we were handed off to the bellman and escorted to our room.
The entire check-in process took about an hour and a half! Once outside the lobby, the bellman stopped and said, "Relax. You're with me now. No more pressure."
Our suite was beautiful, spacious, and had a spectacular view. We sat through the presentation the next day, which was more like two hours. The price for the Ultimate Vacation Club started at $83,000.00 and was finally lowered to around $3,600.00 after we kept saying "no." We were handed off to a manager (of course) and after telling him "no" several more times, they reluctantly walked us back to the lobby to meet with someone else to fill out paper work to receive our $100.00. We then had to take this to the check-in desk to have them apply this to our upgrade!
Others we talked to were kept in the presentation for more than 3 hours. They did not apply their $100.00 to an upgrade and later found out that it couldn't necessarily be applied to everything in the resort as it had been presented.
I think this was the biggest negative for me and would really make me think twice before staying at an Apple property again. Of course, next time I would probably not be hassled as much since we've already been through it once and said "no" but it makes me a little hesitant. I also think this might give Apple owned resorts such as Dreams, Secrets, Zoetry, and NOW a bad reputation for being the "time-share" pushers, but that is for their marketing people to wrestle with, not me.
We were also given $200 in resort cash when we signed up via Apple Vacations website. When we got there we quickly realized this was simply a coupon book. It was $200 worth of discounts for various services. For example, we got $30 off a massage that was conveniently priced at $130.00. So, in my opinion, the Resort Cash is a bit of a gimmick.
Overall, the resort was beautiful! Very modern, very sleek. The adult pool was awesome except for the occasional smoker and a rowdy bunch celebrating a 21st birthday. Even though it was for "Adults Only" some people feel the rules don't apply to them and they brought their kids. One of them screamed their head off as her dad tried to force her to get in the pool. They didn't stay long. The beach was fantastic and great for walking/running.
Service was very good, although a little slow in some of the restaurants. But when you're on vacation, that's not a huge deal. However, by the time we did get served, the meals were not always hot (warm, but not hot). The French restaurant (Mercure) was the best evening restaurant and the poolside burgers and burritos for lunch were awesome! The buffet was great too.
The shops were overpriced (there were only two, plus a jewelry store) but that is quite normal. One evening, they brought in vendors with local products for sale. Some were a bit pushy, but we loved watching the artists at work! There were no other options for shopping without traveling several miles off the property.
The spa was very nice although the sauna was apparently co-ed. The gym was well-appointed with cardio, weight machines, and free weights. Be sure to take an Mp3 player however. There was no way to change the TV channel and the techno music drowned out the sound anyway.
Overall, we really liked this resort. It was a beautiful place to relax and enjoy the warm Mexican sun and surf. I would recommend it to friends with a strong caution about the "Ultimate Vacation Club" hassle. The UVC would be the only thing that would push me to try a different property next time.
It really comes down to what type of vacation you like. If you like to having shopping and nightlife within walking distance, then you might want to consider the Cancun hotel zone. If you just want to relax in a secluded setting, then NOW Jade is a great choice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Now Jade Riviera Cancun. Located just 12 miles from Cancun International Airport and minutes from the quaint fishing town of Puerto Morelos, Now Jade Riviera Cancun provides guests with 2,640 feet of pure crystal white sand and refreshing azure waters. Guests will become immersed in a setting where style and sophistication meet relaxation and comfort. Each suite is truly exquisite featuring beautiful views of flourishing gardens or crystal clear ocean. This unique property features 550 luxurious suites each complete with private furnished balcony or terrace and Jacuzzi for two. All finely appointed suites offer king size or two double beds, marble floors, air-conditioning with in-room climate control, daily refreshed mini bars and 24-hour room and concierge services. Snorkel, kayak, windsurf or deep sea dive in the vast blue waters or simply relax under the warmth of the sun on the white sandy beach. Perfect your golf swing on one of the famous courses located nearby or indulge a vast set of treatments offered at the world- class spa. Little ones will have the opportunity to partake in many day and nighttime activities provided by the Explorer’s Club for Kids. When the sun sets come enjoy live themed shows in our large indoor theater or sip on a cocktail as you relax at Eclipse Night Club. All this and much more await you at Now Jade Riviera Cancun. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Now Jade Riviera Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Now Jade Riviera Cancun Resort And Spa
- Now Jade Riviera Cancun Hotel Puerto Morelos
- Nh Hotels Puerto Morelos
- Nh Hotel Puerto Morelos
- Now Jade Riviera Cancun Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Morelos