“Beautiful location, but beware of Ultimate Vacation Club!”

Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Midwest U.S.
“Beautiful location, but beware of Ultimate Vacation Club!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2010

We booked the NOW Jade via Apple Vacations after researching a variety of resorts in the area via Trip Advisor as well as the resorts own Facebook page. The comments were generally favorable and "two for one" fall special was an unbeatable deal.

"Preferred Club"
Via Facebook, I was aware of the resort's Preferred Club upgrade that allowed guests to have access to a few more perks than standard guests. The prices reporting for upgrading to the preferred area ranged from $30/night to $100/night extra. The upgrade rates are based on hotel capacity and availability.

Upon check-in, we were offered a cold towel and a very good juice drink. We were told to wait for the next available agent. After checking in with our agent, we found out our standard room (tropical/swamp view) was not ready and to check back in a few hours. There was no mention of upgrading at that point. Then we were handed off to another representative, Beatriz (dressed the same as the rest of the hotel staff). Beatriz was going to review all the amenities and discuss where everything was located. After several minutes of scribbling on the resort map and talking about this and that, Beatriz informed us of an exclusive "one-time" offer to earn $100.00 to be used anywhere on property if we simply listened to a 90 minute presentation on Apple's Ultimate Vacation Club. We were told we could apply the $100 to an upgraded room in the Preferred area. Otherwise, the upgrade could cost as much as $200.00!

We have at through time share type presentations before and know the pressure tactics. But we reluctantly agreed to participate so we could get the $100.00. Beatriz set us up for a breakfast meeting the next morning (which, according to her, was the only day this was going to be offered and only to select guests). Suddenly a master suite in the Preferred area opened up and after some more paper work, we were handed off to the bellman and escorted to our room.

The entire check-in process took about an hour and a half! Once outside the lobby, the bellman stopped and said, "Relax. You're with me now. No more pressure."

Our suite was beautiful, spacious, and had a spectacular view. We sat through the presentation the next day, which was more like two hours. The price for the Ultimate Vacation Club started at $83,000.00 and was finally lowered to around $3,600.00 after we kept saying "no." We were handed off to a manager (of course) and after telling him "no" several more times, they reluctantly walked us back to the lobby to meet with someone else to fill out paper work to receive our $100.00. We then had to take this to the check-in desk to have them apply this to our upgrade!

Others we talked to were kept in the presentation for more than 3 hours. They did not apply their $100.00 to an upgrade and later found out that it couldn't necessarily be applied to everything in the resort as it had been presented.

I think this was the biggest negative for me and would really make me think twice before staying at an Apple property again. Of course, next time I would probably not be hassled as much since we've already been through it once and said "no" but it makes me a little hesitant. I also think this might give Apple owned resorts such as Dreams, Secrets, Zoetry, and NOW a bad reputation for being the "time-share" pushers, but that is for their marketing people to wrestle with, not me.

"Resort Cash"
We were also given $200 in resort cash when we signed up via Apple Vacations website. When we got there we quickly realized this was simply a coupon book. It was $200 worth of discounts for various services. For example, we got $30 off a massage that was conveniently priced at $130.00. So, in my opinion, the Resort Cash is a bit of a gimmick.

"Overall Impressions"
Overall, the resort was beautiful! Very modern, very sleek. The adult pool was awesome except for the occasional smoker and a rowdy bunch celebrating a 21st birthday. Even though it was for "Adults Only" some people feel the rules don't apply to them and they brought their kids. One of them screamed their head off as her dad tried to force her to get in the pool. They didn't stay long. The beach was fantastic and great for walking/running.

Service was very good, although a little slow in some of the restaurants. But when you're on vacation, that's not a huge deal. However, by the time we did get served, the meals were not always hot (warm, but not hot). The French restaurant (Mercure) was the best evening restaurant and the poolside burgers and burritos for lunch were awesome! The buffet was great too.

The shops were overpriced (there were only two, plus a jewelry store) but that is quite normal. One evening, they brought in vendors with local products for sale. Some were a bit pushy, but we loved watching the artists at work! There were no other options for shopping without traveling several miles off the property.

The spa was very nice although the sauna was apparently co-ed. The gym was well-appointed with cardio, weight machines, and free weights. Be sure to take an Mp3 player however. There was no way to change the TV channel and the techno music drowned out the sound anyway.

Overall, we really liked this resort. It was a beautiful place to relax and enjoy the warm Mexican sun and surf. I would recommend it to friends with a strong caution about the "Ultimate Vacation Club" hassle. The UVC would be the only thing that would push me to try a different property next time.

It really comes down to what type of vacation you like. If you like to having shopping and nightlife within walking distance, then you might want to consider the Cancun hotel zone. If you just want to relax in a secluded setting, then NOW Jade is a great choice.

7 Thank TravelingGnome01
NOWRC, Manager at Now Jade Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, November 10, 2010
Dear TravelingGnome01,

Greetings from the Now Jade.

First of all we would like to thank you for your valuable feedback. We appreciate your comments and we are glad to hear that overall you had a good stay. I will make sure to pass your comments to our staff.
We apologize if you encountered any inconveniences during your stay. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or require any further assistance.
Hopefully you will visit us again in the near future.

The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,447)
  • Polish first
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2010

I stayed at the Now Jade from Oct. 12-19 with a group of friends (3 couples). Overall, the resort was pretty good and delivered a good value for the price we paid. My wife and I have stayed in the Riviera Maya area 3 times and been to other locations in the Caribbean 3 more times. Compared to the other resorts we have stayed at, I would rate this resort in the 3.5 to 4-star range. We stayed in a Junior Suite Tropical View on the non-Preferred side of the Resort (building 1, room 1105). There are a few particular pros and cons I'd like to point out:

Pros:
-The resort itself was very beautiful and kept extremely clean
-The food was mostly excellent. To put my opinion in perspective, I am from New York City and have eaten at some of the best restaurants in the world, but I also enjoy grabbing a burger from the diner down the block. I am very flexible about what I will try and what I like to eat. At the resort, I ate at the French, Italian, Mexican, and Asian (teppanyaki table) restaurants for dinner and was very pleased with my meals at all of them. It wasn't 5-star, but it was very tasty, a good variety, and some courses were flat out excellent. Never tried the dinner buffet, but the breakfast buffet was good as well. Room service was pretty good as well and usually quick and convenient.
-Liquor. Quite a good selection. Not every bar had every brand, and some brands would run out or be restocked one day to the next, but overall very good. Brands included: Bacardi, Don Julio Blanco, Bailey's, DiSaronno, Stolichnaya vodka (included flavored), Johnnie Walker Red, Courvoisier, Canadian Club, and Bombay Sapphire, among others.
-The staff was very friendly.
-Air conditioning in room. I like a nice cold room to sleep in. One night I put the AC on a very low temperature only to wake up in the middle of the night freezing. That thing can really crank! As long as I didn't turn it all the way down, it kept the room at a pleasantly cool temperature all week.
-Hurricane/Rain. Hurricane Paula sent some rain our way beginning on our first night at the resort. They did a good job of keeping us updated on the status of the storm, as well as setting up some indoor activities (movies, poker, board games, etc) to keep us entertained. Fortunately, the storm passed quickly and hardly affected us at all. They also put courtesy umbrellas out at most building entrances, which was a nice touch to help deal with the rain.
-Room. The Junior Suites were very nice. There was a sunken living area with couch, coffee table, and desk. Bathroom had a rainhead shower, separate jacuzzi, and two sinks. There were no drawers, but just enough shelves and hangers for our stuff. Balcony had two chairs and a small table but the view... (wait for the cons section).

Let me preface the Cons section with this note: I enjoyed my trip very much, and none of the negatives I am about to list ruined the trip for me. That being said, these are certainly some of the areas that the hotel could improve upon.

Cons:
-Slow and/or Poor service at restaurants. This was probably our single biggest complaint during the trip. Now, I realize that service is often slower than what I am used to in NY, and that is totally fine with me - I'm on vacation and usually not in any particular rush. However, some of the restaurants gave a whole new definition to the word slow. And not only were they slow, but also they were often run poorly as well. For example, we arrived at the French restaurant at 6:05pm (right after it opens at 6:00) so that we could get a table for our whole group of 6 together. The maitre d' informed us that a group of 14 had just requested seating and that he wanted to get them settled in first before seating us. No problem, we figured they might need to move around some tables to accommodate the large group and we would just go to the bar to grab a drink first. Well, about a half-hour later he finally seats the group of 14 in the outside section of the restaurant. He then seats us at a dedicated table for 6 in the indoor section of the restaurant. So in retrospect, why exactly did we have to wait a half-hour?

The service was also poor at the French restaurant (though the food was excellent). It took us about 3 hours to complete our meal, which I think is excessive. And getting drinks was next to impossible. At one point about halfway through our meal my friends went to the lobby bar to pick up some drinks and bring them back to the table. This is unacceptable service.

It wasn't only the French restaurant with poor service. When the 6 of us showed up at the Italian restaurant at about 6:30, they told us that they did not have a table for 6 available and would not push together tables for us. So we decided to split up into a table of 4 and a table of 2. The table of 4 was seated right away to begin the meal. Ten minutes later the 2 left over were still not seated and we asked the maitre d' what was the problem. He informed us that he did not have a table for the 2 people left. Yet looking around the restaurant it was easy to see 3 or 4 empty tables. The maitre d' told us that those were tables for 4 and he could not seat 2 people at them. This was just absurd. A party of 2 could not be seated at a table for 4 because those tables were being saved just in case a party of 4 *might* show up. And why should a party of 4 that has not even arrived yet get preference over a waiting party of 2? Ridiculous. They left to go eat at the Mexican restaurant instead.

This is just a couple of examples of problems at the restaurants. Again, the food was very good but the service was sub-standard. It seems that adding some additional servers and hiring new management (or re-training current management) for the restaurants might go a long way.

-Slow service at bars. Often, there could be a bit of a wait at the bars to get a drink (especially the pool bar and lobby bar). Bars often only had 2 bartenders and many waiting customers. Now, the bartenders were clearly working very hard, there just wasn't enough of them to serve everyone fast enough. I frequently waited 10 minutes to get a
drink. Again, not a dealbreaker for me, but a little speedier service would be nice.
-Tropical View room. I did my research beforehand (thanks to all tripadvisor contributors!) and knew what to expect from my tropical view room. I also put in a room request about a week before arrival asking for a better view if possible/available (October is low season, so resort was probably not more than 50% occupancy). I ended up with the "tropical view" of basically a construction site. The view was a flat dirt pit with some vehicles on it. Now, I don't spend a lot of time in my room on vacation, and I was fully aware that this type of view was likely with the room category I booked, so I am neither upset nor surprised that this is what I got. Nevertheless, for someone who didn't do much research into their trip, this view would be a very rude awakening. And to call this horrid view "Tropical" is flat out misleading. I included a picture of the view, so you can decide for yourself if it is fair for the resort to call it "Tropical."
-Turndown service. The only reason I know it existed is because we got it one night. The other 7 nights of our trip there was no turndown service. Now, I don't particularly care about turndown service, but if you're going to do it - then do it. Or just skip it entirely.

The Beach: The beach was mixed, depending what you're looking for. It was quite narrow, but very long to the South if you like to walk. The water was beautiful and clear and mostly calm (Hurricane Paula kicked up the surf a bit for a couple of days). There was little to no seaweed that I could see. But the rocks. Towards the middle of the resort there are lots of them, both on the beach and in the water. Your best bet is to go all the way to the north (next to marina) or south (in front of volleyball net) edges of the resort. Here the beach area is clear of rocks and there are much fewer in the water, although still some. Water shoes are not absolutely necessary, but also may not be a bad idea (especially if you want to stay closer to the middle of the resort). On most days they also put out an ocean trampoline and climbing iceberg out in the water. Overall, I enjoyed the beach very much, but there are definitely nicer beaches to be found elsewhere if that is really important to you.

So overall, this resort is good but it has some kinks that need to be worked out (many of which could probably be fixed just by hiring some additional staff). It was also a good value for the time we went as it was priced lower than many other comparable hotels (maybe because they hire less staff?). I would recommend this resort as long as you're aware of some of the negatives and believe you will still enjoy your trip.

Side Notes: I booked through Orbitz as they had the best price online. My local Liberty Travel agent was useless in trying to match the price. I arranged airport transfers through USA Transfer and they were terrific and well-priced.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank vja3
Dear vja3,

Greetings from the Now Jade.

First of all we would like to thank you for your valuable and thorough feedback. We appreciate the time you took to let us know about your stay and your suggestions. I will make sure to pass your review to our staff to work in the issues you mentioned.

Please feel free to contact me if you require any further assistance.

Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2010

We came to this resort on our honeymoon, and though it appears to be nice through pictures there are some hidden secrets....

Check in - We arrived late due to a delated flight, and were exhausted. We waited over an hour to check-in and were not once offered cool towels, or drinks while we waited. The woman who checked us in was rude and pushy. We wanted to upgrade to the preferred side, and she said it would be $50 - we have seen on various sites it was only $30...I then asked about an ocean front on the regular side and she said it would be $70...so we wound up doing this since the room on the Preffered side wasn't even ocean view.

Room - When we arrived in our room it was AMAZING.Beautiful Beach front room with three decks, and an outdoor shower. The second day we were there however our air conditioner stopped working, and we had bugs crawling all over our floor and into the toilet (it was NASTY). I called the concierge, and they said it was too early in the morning to send someone, and when the person got there he would come out. Now we paid more than $500 to upgrade and all we get is a "he will be there soon"? Well...he was there 3 hours later, and didn't help the problem much because we had bugs again the next morning, and each day there after.

Entertainment - The entertainment team was AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING!! We enjoyed every activity they had planned by the pool during the day.

Staff - Besides the woman at check - in, everyone was great - very helpful and very attentive. Darius and Digby at the pool bar are sooo awesome, and took care of us all week. We gave them a $20 at the begining of each day, and they truly deserved it!

Food - Just ok, we got sick almost every night after dinner...breakfast was fine the buffet was good - Asian was amazing!! The sushi is fabulous! As for the other resturaunts they were mediocre to say the least.

Pool/Beach - The beach was amazing on the regular side...the preffered side however was horrible. The beach was so rocky all the way into the ocean. I would have been very upset if I would have paid extra money for the PC upgrade and that was the beach we got. The pools were great, especially the quiet pool, and the activity pool.

Other Notes - We were promised a honeymoon special by Diana...I had emailed her specifically and we never got anything - after calling about 5 times and taking my marriage certificate down to them 2 times - still nothing and we were really looking forward to that that on top of a VERRRRRRRRY bad experiance with PRONATOURS (they dropped us off in the middle of the jungle and told us we would be picked up by 5pm...when the sales man for the tour company said we would be back to the hotel by 1pm. and not to bring anything with us because we would be in the water the whole time...no money nothing - we trusted him...it was a very scary experiance, and we are taking legal action against them because even though we didn't attend any of the activites and were taken right back to the hotel, they will not give us a refund. I understand we signed but we signed but we signed the no refund policy in full trust that we would be picked up when they promised and not dropped off to some jungle with NO guided tour.

Because of those two issues we will never reccomend this hotel, nor will we ever return too. Ashame because we are planning a family trip with over 30 people and we will need to go elsewhere.

3 Thank tropicalgal123
NOWRC, Manager at Now Jade Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, November 5, 2010
Dear Tropicalgal123,

Greetings from the Now Jade.

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We are sorry to hear that you encountered some inconveniences. I would like to address a few of the issues that you mentioned.

In reagards to the comment about the rocky beach, please note that this is nothing that has to do with the hotel, actually we are not authorized to remove the rocks from the ocean as they are part of the environment and if we did we would be damaging the whole environment.
As for the honeymoon amenities, it's my understanding that you mentioned this to Ms. Diana Manrique, correct? However, upon arrival, who did you mention to about your honeymoon? If you remember the name please let us know so we can investigate with thsi person why the amenities were never sent to you.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Pittsburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2010

I just returned home from a weeks stay at the Now Jade Riviera Cancun. On first impression, it is a beautiful facility and kept very clean and neat. The rooms are comfortable and spacious and try to get a view overlooking the pool/gulf, not the "swamp" as they call it. The pools are really nice and the beach area is also a nice beach with a minimal amount of rocks that are here and there. The staff is very friendly and accomodating. Lots of beach/pool seating and big oversized towels.The night time entertainment is OK, nothing overly exciting.

The two drawbacks are the restaurants and the group that attacks new visitors to listen to their sales shpiel about buying into a their vacation club. The resturants could be really interesting except that they seem understaffed so there is a long wait to get in and to get served. After waiting upwards to an hour to get in, we see a number of empty tables and no hurry to put guests at them. I think the menues could be larger and they should try not to get overly gourmet on some of the items. They will also close 2-3 restuarants a night.

The sales group for the club sale are relentless, although they keep telling you there is no pressure to buy until the call over the "closer" who tries to really get you. Don't do it! They meet you for breakfast, chit chat with you to become friends and then start telling you about the club that is shockingly expensive ($30-40-50,000.00) until the closer comes over and tries to get you with an offer for $3000.00 and some free nights. It is affiliated with Apple. It is sort of like a time share, but not exactly.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank SeashellSue
NOWRC, Manager at Now Jade Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, November 3, 2010
Dear Seashellsue,

Greetings from the Now Jade.

First of all we would like to thank you for your valuable feedback. We appreciate your honest review and comments.
We would like to see you back with us.

Feel free to contact me if you need any assistance,

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2010

We had a great time at the resort. The entertainment was fun and the restautants were great. Rooms were very nice, ask for a ocean pool view. You can not beat it for the cost. Everyone was very nice and helpful. A must do is to take the 10 minute boat ride to the reef, it was the best snokeling experience I have ever had. I would come back again.
Cathy & Karen

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank scrabble30
Dear Scrabble30,

Greetings from the Now Jade!

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We appreciate your feeback. Hopefullly we will have the pleasure of hosting your next vacation.

Hagerstown, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2010

We stayed at the Now from Oct 18-25, 2010. Prior to arriving, I spent numerous hours reading reviews on the internet, and I must say that I was somewhat concerned after reading some of the negative reviews. I would say that all of my worries disappeared after the first hour of being there. We had very few complaints, or should I say small disappointments. Let me go ahead and list those. We were a little disappointed at check in only because they seemed to focuson selling you a room upgrade. Check in was quick and easy but they didnt really explain anything. They handed us a map of the resort and sent us on our way. All of the staff was amazing with one exception. I dont remember his name but he was the daytime bartender at the lobby bar. He just seemed like he hated his job. He would get you what you asked for but he was not happy and jovial like the rest of the bartenders. The floors in the hotel hallways were extremely slippery, be careful. Due to the humidity they are always wet and very very slick. The food at the asian hibatchi bar was not good at all. Tnere is always talk about the tropical view rooms. Get over it. We weee in building 3 facing the rear and had nothing but privacy on our deck. If you plan on spending alot of time in your room, why go to Mexico? Other than those issues, everything else was perfect. Awesome service, great food, very nice and helpful staff, no wait at the restaurants, and fast room service with a smile. We have been on several cruises and a few all inclusives and I would say the Now Jade has been the best so far. Anyone who gripes about the Jade is just too picky. It was fabulous and we will definately return.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank mpdbill
Dear mpdbill,

Greetings from the Now Jade.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, we appreciate the time you took to let us know about your experience with us.
Hopefully we will see you back soon.

Feel free to contact me if you require any assistance,

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2010

We came here to attend the wedding of our niece. We came in early and enjoyed some of the amenities before the wedding date. Our junior suite ocean view room was fabulous and our view was fantastic. The food was very good in general but the food at the wedding was superb. The wedding was quite elegant while still being a beach location and the staff did a wonderful job. I also liked the privacy of the beach for just resort guests. There was the availability of excursions but we chose to enjoy the hotel's ambiance and our various "wedding group" events. In general the drinks were good, but some of the bartenders didn't seem to know how to make some of the drinks. Because of all the marble throughout the resort, when the surfaces get wet they are very slippery so bring some good rubber soled shoes that will "grip" the walkways as well as the floor in your room. In general I would say that the hotel lives up to it's pictutures on line and is a GREAT place to go for a vacation!

3 Thank sabby48
NOWRC, Manager at Now Jade Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, November 1, 2010
Dear sabby48,

Greetings from the Now Jade.

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We appreciate your valuable feedback. We hope to see you back in the future.

Feel free to contact us should you require any further assistance,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,923 reviews
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Been to Now Jade Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!