“There's A Reason They're Not Ranked Higher”

Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Denver, Colorado
“There's A Reason They're Not Ranked Higher”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

When reading reviews and paying attention to how hotels rank, compared to other hotels in the same area, it's easy to fret and become neurotic about any bad thing you read about a resort on TripAdvisor. However, I've found that the rankings are quite reliable. And there is a reason the Now Jade is ranked 8th out of 23 hotels in the Puerto Morelos area.

Don't be fooled. The gap between the Excellence Riviera Cancun (ranked the #1 hotel in Puerto Morelos by TA reviewers) and the Now Jade (ranked 8th) is significant. I've now stayed at both and the Now Jade doesn't measure up to the Excellence, nor does it measure up to the Aventura Spa Palace (closer to Playa del Carmen), where I've also stayed.

The Food. If you think of yourself as a foodie, if you cook meals out of Cooks Illustrated at home, or if you are quite selective about what restaurants you go out to back home, you will be very disappointed by the Now Jade restaurants. Our standards are always naturally lowered when we are at an all-inclusive resort, but never have we had such a hard time, as we did at the Now Jade, to find something not only delicious, but even decent, to eat. I had the cheeseburger and fries three times because that was one of the okay things there. The Mexican restaurant was awful. The French restaurant was slightly better, but still sub-par compared to the French restaurant at Excellence, for example. The Italian restaurant (Capers) seemed to be the favorite of those in our party, but the Olive Garden far exceeds Capers in quality, service, and taste...and I can't stand the Olive Garden. The breakfast buffet had little variety and again, it was hard to find something that even looked edible. Castaways is your best bet for lunch. It has open air seating right near the beach and the larger of the two infinity pools. Yeah, I'm a food snob. But there are a lot of us out there and for those of you trying to find a hotel in the P.Morelos area, you've been warned about the Now Jade.

The Room. We went with an ocean front room in the non-preferred section of the resort. The view was absolutely incredible. We were on the top floor too, on a corner as well so we had two decks. The room was fairly clean. There were some ants in the bathroom, but not a disturbing amount and it's hard for these resorts to keep ants out of everything so I didn't hold that against the place. However, in every room there is a jet tub. My wife loves taking a soak at hotels. I thought we'd run the water and the jets a few times before she should even think about getting in. Well, the water was a light brown, no matter how long we ran the water. The tub itself was even stained yellow and light brown from the water. We didn't end up using it. So, don't expect your tub to be perfect at this place. One minor gripe, this place had conditioning shampoo, which didn't even condition your hair at all. It was a gimmick. The mini fridge has sodas, water, and Modelo beer and it was restocked every day. We were happy with that. The bed was uncomfortable. Too soft. It felt like you sunk into it all night long. TV was fine with a decent selection of stations.

Preferred Club. When you check-in to the hotel they will give you a spiel about the preferred area of the hotel and they will also invite you to sit through a presentation about becoming a member of their hotel group. They don't call this a timeshare, but it is essentially, with just the option of staying in a wide variety of resorts owned by the same company. We declined the presentation and you should too, especially if you haven't stayed at one of their resorts yet. The preferred club rooms are barely any different. Their tubs are on the balconies, but as I've noted above, there's a strong possibility that your tub will just spew yellow or brown water and you won't get in it anyways. The preferred club also has two other options for breakfasts, I believe, and access to a lounge with top shelf liquor. If you've made it this far in the review, you'll be disappointed to know that any time you do wander around in the lobby you will have to fend off employees who are trying to get you to buy a timeshare membership or upgrade to a preferred room right away or on your next trip.

Pools. The adults only pool is available to all adults, even if you aren't staying in the preferred area. Remember that. Both sides of the resort have beautiful infinity edge pools. However, on the kids-friendly side, the pools are all broken up and not one long continuous pool. For adults wishing to take advantage of a swim up bar, but also want to be in the infinity edge pool, this will be disappointing. You have to get out of the infinity pool to access the swim up bar pool.

Beach. It was pretty. Beautiful water and sand. You can walk for a decent ways toward the south and you can walk into town to the north as well.

Don't forget, there are better resorts in Mexico. The TA rankings mean a lot and if you need to stay in the Puerto Morelos area, you cannot do better than the Excellence Riviera Cancun.

Room Tip: Your money is better spent on an ocean front room than on the preferred club because, remember, pref...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Neff1983
NowJadeRC, Social Media Coordinator at Now Jade Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Dear Madam,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us through Tripadvisor. We receive all the feedback from our guests and are addressed to the operations staff and executive committee. We value our guests´ feedback because this is the way we can know about our distinguished guests experiences as well as to have the opportunity to improve our service in all possible ways.

We are disappointed to know that some aspects of your stay were not up to your expectations and we sincerely apologize for shortfalls you experienced during the stay.

We wish to have the privilege to welcome you and recover your confidence in our service.

Social Media Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,573)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
FLEMINGTON
Reviewed November 6, 2013

The resort gives you your money's worth. The food is top notch and plentiful. The a la carte restaurants have no maximum visits, also feel free to order multiple dishes if you want. Staff is friendly and attentive. Rooms are comfortable and well kept, just be careful with the marble tile, it is slippery when wet. Kids club is great for the younger set, our kids are starting to age out at 9 years old. Pool is good for hanging out, not great for swimming. Water sports are mixed; when the wind is blowing hard or there is surf, they shut it down. Just when you want to buggy board or sail. The ocean is very rocky and shallow, not easy to swim in or snorkel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
NowJadeRC, Social Media Coordinator at Now Jade Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Sir,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Jade Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all others within this destination, to enjoy your recent holidays in Cancun.

We appreciate the time our guests take to let us know about their experience. All of the comments are shared with the operations staff & supervisors that help us to continue improving our facilities & services.

We hope to welcome you back to the Now Jade Riviera Cancun in the near future

Cordially yours,

Louisivlle
Reviewed November 5, 2013

the now jade is the perfect place to go! form the beach to the pools to the activities during the day there is something for all. The baretenders and staff accomodate your every need. The shows and dinner at the restaurants are superb. we will deifinately return!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Sir

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Jade Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all others within this destination, to enjoy your honeymoon in Cancun.

We are very pleased to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your recent stay with us. Many thanks for commending about our service staff. We will share your feedback with the entire staff.

We very much appreciate your comments that help us to continue improving our facilities and services and we wish to have the privilege to welcome you again in the near future.

Best regards.

Aurora, Co
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We visited Now Jade as part of a large wedding party. The staff did a great job with the wedding, despite all the rain that fell only on the wedding and rehearsal days. The highlight was the resort! Great food at most of the eating options, great drinks at all of the bars, and very friendly service. Even the entertainment, while iffy on a couple of nights, was outstanding with a great variety on the other nights. A great value, we have already scheduled our return trip!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

NowJadeRC, Social Media Coordinator at Now Jade Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Sir,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Jade Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all other resorts within this destination, to enjoy holidays in Cancun.

It is always good to hear that our staff was reliable and helpful. We will definitely relay the kind words you wrote about the staff, they will be happy to hear you recognized their work.

We very much appreciate your comments that help us to continue improving our facilities and services. We wish to have to welcome you for your first wedding anniversary.

Best regards,

Winnetka,CA
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We just returned from Now Jade .This resort very clean and nice place to stay .We have great time at the bar "The Mix " It was always fun when Darius working .He is such a good bartender funny and helpful ,very nice person every time when he working bar was full of people ,he makes great generous drinks .We also like the restaurants you can choose were you can eat ,and beach clean and water great .We have excellent vacation .

Room Tip: Any rooms good
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tatyana P
NowJadeRC, Social media Coordinator at Now Jade Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Now Jade Riviera Cancun. We are pleased you had such a wonderful stay. It is our responsibility to ensure we exceed your expectations and this is an example of our commitment to customer service.

We will share your feedback with Darius and the rest of the team. Thank you and we look forward to your next visit to the Now Jade Riviera Cancun!

We very much appreciate your comments that help us to continue improving our facilities and services. We wish to welcome you in your third visit!

Best regards,

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We have just returned from two weeks staying in a Preferred Ocean Front room in Now Jade and the 'bad bits' have prompted me to write this review. Before I focus on the reasons why WE WILL NOT BE GOING BACK let me talk about the good stuff:
1. The entertainment team were excellent. Very talented, hard working and friendly, making spending time around the pool real fun for both adults and children
2. The food in all the restaurants was very good. Great variety, great tasting and excellent service from pleasant, attentive and friendly staff
3. The Preferred Ocean front room was just what we expected - well presented with a great view
4. The pool (family) was large, warm and there was excellent (and frequent service) from waiters
5. The beach was lovely (a little rocky and with seaweed but great all the same)
6. The cleanliness of the hotel was excellent and everywhere was well maintained
WHY WE WILL NOT GO BACK OR RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL
The online brochure refers to the Preferred Club 'celebrity treatment' - I can say that having stayed in a number of very decent hotels I know that we (and not just us) were given extremely poor service from the preferred club lounge desk staff who had an attitude of 'it is your fault not ours'. Senior management set the standards and clearly this hotel accepts such poor levels of service.
Some examples:
1. We (my family of 4 and friends who were a family of 3) arrived on a Sunday evening having travelled for nearly 24 hours with three children aged 12, 11 and 10. There were no details of us being registered at the central desk and eventually we were passed onto X in the Preferred Club Lounge. He was not understanding of our position, and even though I gave him details confirming our booking he made me feel that we had not really booked and would not explain in any detail what was happening. Nearly 90 minutes after our arrival X came to us instead of explaining and said that he wanted to show us another room type which we could have at an additional rate of $80/day (rather than the normal $250.00/day) which was a 'very good deal'. Clearly this was not acceptable to us who just wanted to get our children to bed in rooms we had booked. Eventually, our details were 'found' except that the forms I was given were for a couple I had never heard of! We were also given a Spanish Now Jade welcome brochure as they did not have any English ones left!
2. On the following day our room was not serviced. When I reported this to the Preferred Club Lounge I was told that it was because I had left the red 'do not disturb' sign on my door!! I had not and once I had pointed this out the room was serviced except that no towels or water were left.
3. We booked room service one evening having returned too late to use a restaurant. Room service is 24 hours a day. I made my order and was told it would take 45 minutes. After 90 I rang and was told that it had just left the kitchen so would be with us. 15 minutes later I rang again as my order had not arrived, after pushing they admitted that my order had been lost.... It then took a strong conversation with concierge to try and get to speak to a manager (they clearly did not want this to happen). Eventually, I was put through to the duty desk manager who sent through some club sandwiches who said that he would make a complaint on our behalf. Unbelievably, at no stage was I contacted by the hotel to follow up this complaint.
4. My daughter lost a small, flat pink teddy bear (given to her as a baby) from our room. We reported this to the Preferred Club Lounge staff saying that we felt the maid had picked it up when changing our sheets. We were told that the maids did not gather up the used sheets in a bundle so this was not possible. It was implied that we had lost the bear which was impossible as it had not left the room! Staff in main reception were so much more understanding although the bear was not found and we were left with a very upset daughter.
5. Checking out in the Preferred Club Lounge - they were busy so Roger asked us to wait and they would come and get me when the two staff were free. About 20 minutes later Roger came back into the Preferred Club Lounge and came over and asked if I had been seen. When I said 'no' he went back to X and X who had been freely talking to each other and I was then checked out. Annoyingly my check out sheet only indicated 2 people so we were prevented from leaving until the luggage men sought confirmation that it should have said 4!

Room Tip: Do not go for a Preferred Club room as the service is dreadful not at all worth the extra money
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank AB12013
Dear Sir /Madam,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us through Tripadvisor about your recent stay at our resort.

We appreciate your good comments about the food, the entertainment staff and the room. All of the comments are shared with the operations staff and supervisors to improve our service in all possible ways.

We sincere regret your stay was not what you were expecting. One of our main goal is to get the complete satisfaction of our clients. It is very disappointed as in your case; to know that we could not fulfill your expectations of our service.

We very much appreciate the time you took to share your feedback with us through Tripadvisor. We wish to have the privilege to welcome you and recover you confidence in our service.

New York, New York, United States
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I just returned from Now Jade. I traveled with my daughter and friends who were getting married. The Hotel did not meet our expectations. The first room I was checked in there was a used soap from previous guest and the room smelled like Swamp water. Front desk changed my room which smelled like Swamp water also and the safe did not work in room 3422. I requested to change my room for the next day and the Front desk said I am sorry but we are fully committed for the next day. I felt that if you are not part of the Club Preferred they just don't care. The Resort is away from everything so once you check in you stuck. The entertaining staff a bit to friendly, the day of Halloween I was seating at the Lobby bar with my daughter and one the male staff member (entertaining) touched her inappropriately Not Good" we were so upset that just got up and left that ruined the night. We did not reported to anybody because there is no one is willing to listen to the guests concerns. I work for the Industry and my main goal is to ensure my guests enjoy their stay and feel safe. The entire time I did not see Cameras/Security personal/the darkness walking back to your room not safe, light bulbs missing on the road and hallways. My check out day I was putting on my shoes and noticed what it appears to be a splash of Blood in the corner on the floor I took pictures to show my daughter because I couldn't believe it. The elevators were not working on my last day and we had to drag our luggage down the stairs.I am not a complainer, but if I had to report share my experience so people know what they getting them shelves in to. I felt Robbed all together. Would not recommend to anybody. What made it a bit enjoyable was some of the staff Jesus at the Buffet very respectful and friendly/ Carina at Coco Cafe. We were able to rent a car through Avis and finally spent all day out to Playa Carmen which it will be my choice next time.

Hope this review is helpful for those who are planning to stay at this Rehab Resort.

Room Tip: Rooms with an Ocean View
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Yoselin G
Dear Madam,

Thank you for the feedback you provided on your last visit. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced. We have followed up with the departments involved concerning these problems. What you had encountered is not a typical of the experience.

We have also shared your valuable comments with the Director of the area. We regret that you did not approach with our Chief Concierge, Front Desk Manager or Resident Manager. They are able to speak with our guests as well as listen and assist them with their concerns. We will not allow any inappropriate conduct our service and we have already shared your feedback with our entertainment manager.

Thank you for your comments about Jesus and Karina. They will be glad to hear they were able to assist you.

We hope we have another opportunity to welcome you back to the Now Jade Riviera Cancun and recover your confidence in our service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#40 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Now Jade Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!