“You Get What You Pay For (Good, but Not Great)”

Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Background: Our stay was from July 7-12. I'm a mid-twenties teacher with a mid-twenties boyfriend who works as a cook in New York City, so we knew going in that we hadn't spent an astronomical amount so we weren't surely going to get anything stellar. What we got was a beautiful beach, decent food, hit-or-miss drinks and a generally good week of relaxation.

The "Vacation Club" Pitch, aka Time Share Nonsense:
STAY. AWAY. I repeat: STAY AWAY. Do not be fooled, other young couples who think that a 50 dollar travel credit is a fair trade for the EXCRUCIATING and DESPICABLY RUDE 1 1/2 hours of your life that you are required to exchange for it. Upon arrival, my boyfriend and I agreed to participate because the concierge's description was rather vague and made it seem like everyone sits through the "presentation breakfast." I went to the gym beforehand, my boyfriend slept in, and so we were unprepared for the first part of the dance: a half hour of paperwork in the lobby. After filling out various forms, we were shepherded to a sales rep who was very sweet and very intent on getting us young twenty-somethings to agree to something that there is no way we can realistically afford. That's when the dogs came out: Gina, the manager who wears enough makeup for a drag show in Vegas (ever heard of professionalism?), snapped at my boyfriend as he was looking at me, saying, "hi, I'm over here." He was just trying to find the most polite way of declining a nearly $40,000 time share pitch! As we attempted to reiterate, yet again, that we simply could not afford this kind of investment for various reasons, she asked, "What is it? It's a yes or no question." We left the 1 1/2 "meeting" with a terrible taste in our mouths and irritable tempers like you would not believe...DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT AGREE TO THE SALES PITCH.

ROOMS:
Our room was upgraded upon arrival to an ocean view room in building three. We had a great view, but our AC wasn't doing the best job cooling the room...we couldn't get it to go below 75 degrees, which wasn't much relief from the 90 degree weather outside our balcony windows. We didn't stay in our room much, we preferred the awesome hammocks in the adults-only pool!

FOOD:
My boyfriend's a cook at one of the best restaurants in NYC, so believe me when we say that the food was decent, even surprising. The breakfast buffet had a few tasty Mexican options each morning (hit or miss on some of the textures/flavors, but hey, thanks for trying!), and room service actually arrived 35 minutes later on the dot each of the three times we ordered it.
Tamarindo = THE WORST of them all, stay away if you actually like Mexican/want it to keep its integrity in your heart
Spice = the best meal we had, with the best portions...also the best drinks!
Mercure = second best meal, TINY portions...we ordered room service immediately after
Castaways = decent lunch options, much better than the lunch buffet

NOTE: If you're a healthy eater, be prepared to put that aside. Vegetables are hard to come by...the salads don't offer much nutrition, as they're of the iceberg lettuce and matchstick carrot variety. Breakfast is the healthiest meal option of the day!

DRINKS:
SO hit or miss. The Reef bar in the adult pool had the best drinks, or the bar on the beach. Order the dirty monkey - it's for real!

SERVICE:
Very polite and friendly...apart from the lobby staff, who never seemed to have the time of day for any questions about the buildings, various amenities, etc. All the waiters were also very rushed, and didn't go out of their way (probably because many people don't tip, but we did and it paid off in the end!).

TOURS:
Book with Alltournative tours. The Jungle Maya excursion to Tulum was our absolute favorite thing we did! SO worth the extra expenses: rappelling down into a cenote? Can you say you've done that yet? No? Exactly! DO IT.

Room Tip: We were given an upgrade upon arrival, surely because we were new to the resort chain and were a you...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Mallory L
NowJadeRC, Social Media Coordinator at Now Jade Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your experience during your recent stay with us. All of the comments are shared with the Operations staff and Supervisors in order to improve our service.

We would like to comment that the UVC staff invites our guests to their presentation; however guests are not obligated to go to the presentation. We sincerely apologize if you felt uncomfortable for the invitation. We´ll share your comments with the UVC supervisors.

We very much appreciate your comments that help us to continue improving our facilities and services and we wish to have the privilege to welcome you again in the near future.

Best regards,

Olivia Rodriguez
Social Media Coordinador
info.nojrc@nowresorts.com

Write a ReviewReviews (9,255)

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stay there last year for my son wedding and book 8 rooms for a group of 24.
The resort is very nice very well maintain.
The personnel speaks perfectly English is helpful and always smiling joking or laughing
You can have dinner to the restaurant every night not like some all inclusive where only 2 or 3 dinner are included.
This is the best buffet I ever had it is even better by far than many restaurant.
If you are looking to have vacation with fine food this is the place to go.
The theme restaurant are top of the line they are worth a $100 dinner in the US.
The wedding ceremony on the beach was very nice and well organized.
Every body share the same opinion and for some of us it was the 4th stay in all inclusive resort in playa del Carmen

Now the bad .
As said before the resort is first class but some of the price they ask for the wedding is a scam.
The rehearsal is a joke they just give you a table in the buffet.
For the dinner night they asked $500 per hour for us to stay an extra hour in the room.
also the wedding dinner is the worst. they asked us $70 per person for the wedding dinner.
$70 is not much for a wedding dinner but remember we are in Mexico and that we are in an all inclusive resort so a dinner in any restaurant is already included in the price every guest paid.
So I was expecting something very nice but this dinner was far below the quality of the food the resort offer in any of their restaurant or even at the buffet.
I was even embarrassed that our guest could have thought that we did not pay anything as is was really well below the other cooking

Conclusion I will definitely go again in this resort which is top of the line.
but we will not book another wedding there and all the family member felt the same way.

Room Tip: I will pick an ocean view
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank smoke90
NowJadeRC, Social Media Coordinator at Now Jade Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Dear Sir / Madam,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Jade Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all others within this destination, to enjoy your recent holidays in Cancun.

We were thrilled to read your comments on your recent stay with us and we are delighted to hear that you had a great stay. Your very valuable observations have been shared with the involved departments to improve our service in all possible ways.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Now Jade Riviera Cancun soon.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed from 27th June - 11th July. This was our first time in Mexico, and we booked to stay in the preferred side of the hotel. After the long 10 hour flight, we checked into the hotel within no time at all!

The rooms were the best we have stayed in so far! very clean and spacious. We did however change rooms because the air-con was not working properly, but all of the staff were understanding and we managed to move rooms as soon as we asked, We were given a higher floor and a better view of the sea! the second room we couldn't fault!

When we first went down to the adults pool we found the music to be very repetitive and annoying! We spoke to the staff in the preferred lounge and they offered us one of the Bali beds on the beach to use for the rest of our stay!

The staff throughout the hotel are all very friendly and helpful! The staff in the preferred lounge made sure we were enjoying our stay and if we asked for something they would always make sure it was done as soon as possible. Alvaro is really lovely! as soon as we walked in the room he was straight over to ask how we were and if we wanted anything, and if it was quiet in the preferred lounge he would come over and chat to us, teach us some Spanish words and engage in conversation .. Jesus in the Carnival restaurant is the best waiter EVER!! he was always very friendly and chatty! after the first few days he knew who we were and remembered our drinks order! We always made sure we got a table that he was serving because of the great service he gave! .. The entertainment staff were all fun and full of energy all the time! Especially Orlando!! We took part in Zumba and water aerobics which were both a lot of fun and gave us something to do during the day. Marcelo the concierge around the pool was very chatty and friendly. Each morning he had the towels ready for us with some water! And always made sure we had everything we needed.

The food could have been a little bit better than what it was. The food was good, however they could have had more of a variety in the buffet as we ended up eating the same food which did get a little boring. However they do have Castaways open for lunch as well as the buffet which we enjoyed. In the evening they had many different a la carte restaurants which you didn't need to make reservations for and we felt this worked very well as we never had to wait for a table and managed to get seated straight away for the whole 2 weeks! My favourite was the Spice!

We took two trips out of the hotel, one was to swim with the Dolphins at Dolphin Discovery and the other one was to Selvatica where we went zip lining, on a human rollercoaster and on the superman zip line! highly recommend both of these trips!! the people that work there are amazing!!

Overall we enjoyed our stay and were sad to leave! Could have easily stayed there!! This was mainly down to the few members of staff who made our stay extra special! (Jesus, Orlando, Alvaro and Marcelo) lovely lovely people! Miss them already!!

We will probably go back to Mexico but would stay in a different hotel, as we like to see different places. If your thinking about booking this hotel, do it! you will definitely not regret it! :)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Sadie_Denman

Dear Sir / Madam,

We appreciate for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor about your recent stay. All of the comments are addressed to the entire staff, especially with Jesus, Orlando, Alvaro and Marcelo. They will be so happy to hear they contributed to make your stay more enjoyable.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed our beautiful resort and the service provided by the staff.

We are honored that you chose the Now Jade Riviera Cancun for your special travels, and we look forward in having you as a guest again.

Info.nojrc@nowresorts.com

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Overall, a gorgeous resort with lovely rooms. The beach is gorgeous and easy to get in and swim. Food was good, and the Italian was fantastic. I would highly suggest the fillet at the Italian restaraunt. Service was very good, and Alvaro was an absolute joy in the Preferred Club. Not only did he take care of every need, we had a great time learning more spanish from him. The pool manager at the Adult only pool was great also, and all of the staff was extremely pleasant.

As mentioned in many other reviews, they do a ton of weddings. We saw 1 or 2 weddings a day the entire week we were there.

The evening entertainment was a bit lacking compared to other resorts that I have stayed, and thus we ended up getting some good rest. The music in the lounge/reception area was good, but it was way too hot in there to dance. The dance club/sports bar was great with air conditioning, but the music really needed to be updated with more variety of top 10 music.

Puerto Morales is a bit isolated, therefore, if you are accustomed to staying in Cancun or Playa del Carmen, be prepared that this a very small fishing town with very little night life. You can certainly renta a car and travel the peninsula. Playa is about 20 minutes with no traffic.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
NowJadeRC, Social Media Coordinador at Now Jade Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Dear Sir / Madam,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Jade Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all other resorts within this destination, to enjoy your recent holidays in Cancun.

We appreciate your time to write a review and shared with us through Tripdavisor. All of the comments are shared wih the operations staff & supervisors that help us to continue improving our services & facilities. Your suggestions have been shared with the involved departments. Thank you.

We wish to have the privilege to welcome you again in the near future.

Cordially yours,

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We have been to Mexico over a dozen times and some of the reviews of this resort made me very nervous! I am glad to say, that we really enjoyed our stay and can't really understand some of the negative reviews!

Check in was a breeze. You are directed to speak to someone that I knew would be the timeshare pitch. We listened for a minute and said "No Thanks" and then we were on to our room which was ready upon our arrival. They brought us our bags right away and we got started on our vacation. We had a family suite (adjoining rooms) and the room looks exactly as the picture on the website shows. Family suites are only "tropical view" which is too bad. The view wasn't the greatest, but I knew going in what we were getting.

Pool and enterainment around the pool was fun. My daughters (ages 15 and 11) didn't want to leave. I would have liked for some sort of snack bar around the pool. They have a restaurant, but we've need to resorts where you can grab a quick snack and eat it by the pool which is something that we like. I have read in other reviews that the beer is never really cold and I agree also.

We ate at the asian and italian restaurants as well at the buffet and the restaurant by the pool. We could always find something we liked and enjoyed the food. Two of the nights they had dinner in the theater that went along with the show that they were having. Those meals were ok.

We enjoyed the nightly shows. My family really liked the casino night as well as the Mexican show. They had a fire works show to celebrate the 4th of July which was a nice touch.

We used the photographer that you can hire from the hotel to take family photos. We usually do this every year and we're always happy with the pictures although the packages are a bit pricey.

When it was time to leave, check out took 5 minutes tops. We were sad to leave and really liked this hotel. I can't really think of anything that totally bothered my about Now Jade and nothing that totally amazed me either. it was just good (if that makes sense).

I would go back without hesitation so if you're worried about booking, I would say go ahead and give Now Jade a try!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Beachie010

Dear Sir/ Madam,

We´ll share your coments with the operations staff. We are pleased to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay. Our staff will be glad to hear they contributed to make your vacation more enjoyable.

We very much appreciate the time you took to share your feedback with us through Tripdavisor. We wish to have the privilege to welcome you again in the near future.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed July 9, 2013

The only bad thing I would day about this resort is the variety of food. The food was good, just after the second or third day we were bored. The restuarants at night were all different, especially the Spice. It was awesome. But during the day, they had Castaways and Carnival. That gets boring after a few days. And room service food was decent. Other than food, my husband and I had a great time. Everyone was friendly and went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. We've already recommended this resort to our families. There was always something to do during the night and even during the day. We stayed a week, by the end we were saying we wanted to stay longer. Great resort. Very beautiful and very clean.

Room Tip: We wanted ocean front but the only available was ocean view. Turns out we were happy to have this r...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Madam,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Jade Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all others within this destination to celebrate your wedding in Cancun.

We really appreciate your time to write and share your feedback on Tripadvisor. We have been shared your comments with the staff, they are very happy to hear they were able to assist you.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Celebrated our niece's wedding at the Now Jade. Stayed for 6 nights from June 23 to June 29, 2013. This was one of our worst vacations and we travel to Mexico yearly, but first time staying at an all-inclusive resort and first time at a Now property. Disappointed with the concierge service, restaurant waiter service, food quality, and every member of our family (30+ people) got a stomach illness either while at the resort or directly after returning home.

If you don't have to stay here because of a wedding, my recommendation is to stay somewhere else, unless you are a college student who only cares about cheap booze and has no concern for the quality of the food or the service at the hotel.

I apologize in advance for a lengthy review. I don't think I can express into words how disappointing this stay was and I can only hope that this review will save others from making the same mistake of staying at the Now Jade.

We were promised a $200 resort credit when we made our reservation to use at the resort which clearly appears on my reservation from Delta Vacations. This is a bait and switch or scam. In all of my previous experiences a resort credit can be used towards whatever you like. When you check into the hotel you will be given a coupon book which allows you to take $10 off a bottle of wine or $40 off a massage of a certain price. The credit can not be used in the salon for manicures or for hair which was promised to many guests of the wedding. Needless to say this is not a resort credit and went unused.

The overall attitude of the staff at the Now Jade is piss poor. Almost every waiter we encountered at the restaurants and even in the Preferred Lounge acted like they hated their job and did not want to be there. Not one person asked us how our stay was going or tried to engage us in conversation. If you did not initiate a hello, then the staff would sit and look at you. I can only compare my stay here to other resorts where I have visited in Mexico and I could not believe how bad the service was at the Now Jade. I think it is directly related to the fact that this is an all-inclusive resort where there is no check at the end of your meal and the wait staff know they are not going to be tipped by the customers. As a result, the staff attitude is completely void of any customer service aspect beyond taking your food order and bringing it to your table, and they are not doing it with a smile.

I made golf reservations with the hotel and had a printed confirmation. I was told to be in the lobby at 9am for my transfer and the shuttle service never showed up. When I inquired with the concierge, they called the golf course and had "no record" of my reservation. This was a reservation made by the Now Jade concierge. The response I received was that I could pay $90 for transportation by taxi. Not until I raised a stink with the concierge and explained that this was their mistake did they finally offer to cover the taxi fare, but that was two hours later.

My wife made a reservation in the salon to get a manicure the day of my niece's wedding. When she showed up for her appointment she was told they had "no record" of her reservation. The salon was empty and they asked her to make a new reservation for a different time and again offered nothing for her inconvenience.

We visited the Delta Vacations desk which is located in the same building as the spa and gym to confirm our return airport transfer. When we asked about the included transfers as part of our booking, we were told there was "no record" of our transfers and the representative promised to look into it and call me in my room. That was on a Tuesday. I never heard back from the rep and returned to the desk on Saturday, the day or our departure, to confirm again. This time it was a different rep who again promised to look into it and when I returned 30 min later the person had gone home for the day and did nothing to confirm our transfers.

When we checked into the hotel we upgraded to the Preferred Club for an additional cost of $270. This gave us free wifi for one device in our room and access to the Preferred Lounge which has free wifi. To offset some of that cost, my wife and I agreed to sit in the sales presentation which offered a credit of $150 which I was told could be applied to my credit card at check out. Yes, regardless of what anyone tells you, it is a sales presentation for their vacation club which is almost the same as a timeshare.

During the sales presentation we mentioned some of the problems we were experiencing at the resort and the immediate response from the sales woman and later her manager was that the Now Jade is their "bottom low-end property." They tried to justify the horrible customer service of the concierge, quality of the food, and the poor service of the wait staff because it is their low end property and assured us if we invested money into their company and stayed at the other properties it would be much nicer. We already own a time-share in Mexico and have never experienced these kinds of problems and declined all offers to buy their vacation club. The sales woman and manager were not interested in documenting any of our complaints and only asked that we leave feedback upon check-out.

Food and Alcohol:
What the hotel calls a mini bar is a small cheap fridge in your room which holds some bottled water, soda, and a few beers. The pool bars only cater to alcohol service and since I am not a big drinker I could not even order an iced tea. For being an all-inclusive resort you can not order any food items from the pool areas or bar, you have to go to a restaurant or the buffet.

The buffet is terrible. During our first night we visited the buffet since we were tired and did not feel like getting dressed up for dinner. The food selection was poor, most food looked like it had been sitting out for hours, and overall it was unappetizing. We visited the buffet on a different night and it was the same. In my opinion, If you are paying for an all-inclusive resort the buffet should be amazing. It should be an equal option to eating at one of the sit down restaurants. If you are staying here, avoid the buffet at all costs and go to one of the sit down restaurants. The service will more than likely be poor, but the food quality will be better.

By the last day my wife and daughter were so afraid of getting a stomach illness that our other family members were experiencing that they refused to eat anything for fear that we would have to delay our return trip home. Once we arrived home all three of us had a stomach illness for three days and I lost time at work as a result. We traveled with a large group and everyone in our party got sick either at the Now Jade or after their return home. I have never had a stomach illness from my previous travels to Mexico and believe 100% that it has something to do with unsanitary conditions regarding the food served at the Now Jade resort.

To add insult to injury, when I checked out of the Now Jade on June 29, I inquired about my credit of $150. I was given a receipt for the transaction but when I checked with my credit card company one week later there was no credit issued. I now have to enter a dispute with my credit card company and provide copies of my receipt to try and get my credit issued. This resort has been nothing but headaches. Please do your homework and read other reviews before making your decision to stay at the Now Jade.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank GeoffreytheGiraffe

Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us through Tripadvisor. We receive all the feedback from our guests and are addressed to the operations staff and executive committee to improve our service.

Please accept our sincere apology for not giving you the level of service that you and all our guests dessert.

We would like to comment that the coupons are used to pay part of the additional services in the resort. We sincerely regret you were not well informed about this.

We would like to comment that our resort has strict hygiene programs to comply the procedures in handling the food & beverage. We really hope you are feeling better now.

We very much appreciate the time you took to share your feedback with us through Tripdavisor. We wish to have the opportunity to welcome you and recover your confidence in our service.

Sincerely yours,