“We would go back”

Ranked #8 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The only bad thing I would day about this resort is the variety of food. The food was good, just after the second or third day we were bored. The restuarants at night were all different, especially the Spice. It was awesome. But during the day, they had Castaways and Carnival. That gets boring after a few days. And room service food was decent. Other than food, my husband and I had a great time. Everyone was friendly and went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. We've already recommended this resort to our families. There was always something to do during the night and even during the day. We stayed a week, by the end we were saying we wanted to stay longer. Great resort. Very beautiful and very clean.

Room Tip: We wanted ocean front but the only available was ocean view. Turns out we were happy to have this r...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
NowJadeRC, Social Media Coordinator at Now Jade Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Dear Madam,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Jade Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all others within this destination to celebrate your wedding in Cancun.

We really appreciate your time to write and share your feedback on Tripadvisor. We have been shared your comments with the staff, they are very happy to hear they were able to assist you.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Now Jade Riviera Cancun soon.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Celebrated our niece's wedding at the Now Jade. Stayed for 6 nights from June 23 to June 29, 2013. This was one of our worst vacations and we travel to Mexico yearly, but first time staying at an all-inclusive resort and first time at a Now property. Disappointed with the concierge service, restaurant waiter service, food quality, and every member of our family (30+ people) got a stomach illness either while at the resort or directly after returning home.

If you don't have to stay here because of a wedding, my recommendation is to stay somewhere else, unless you are a college student who only cares about cheap booze and has no concern for the quality of the food or the service at the hotel.

I apologize in advance for a lengthy review. I don't think I can express into words how disappointing this stay was and I can only hope that this review will save others from making the same mistake of staying at the Now Jade.

We were promised a $200 resort credit when we made our reservation to use at the resort which clearly appears on my reservation from Delta Vacations. This is a bait and switch or scam. In all of my previous experiences a resort credit can be used towards whatever you like. When you check into the hotel you will be given a coupon book which allows you to take $10 off a bottle of wine or $40 off a massage of a certain price. The credit can not be used in the salon for manicures or for hair which was promised to many guests of the wedding. Needless to say this is not a resort credit and went unused.

The overall attitude of the staff at the Now Jade is piss poor. Almost every waiter we encountered at the restaurants and even in the Preferred Lounge acted like they hated their job and did not want to be there. Not one person asked us how our stay was going or tried to engage us in conversation. If you did not initiate a hello, then the staff would sit and look at you. I can only compare my stay here to other resorts where I have visited in Mexico and I could not believe how bad the service was at the Now Jade. I think it is directly related to the fact that this is an all-inclusive resort where there is no check at the end of your meal and the wait staff know they are not going to be tipped by the customers. As a result, the staff attitude is completely void of any customer service aspect beyond taking your food order and bringing it to your table, and they are not doing it with a smile.

I made golf reservations with the hotel and had a printed confirmation. I was told to be in the lobby at 9am for my transfer and the shuttle service never showed up. When I inquired with the concierge, they called the golf course and had "no record" of my reservation. This was a reservation made by the Now Jade concierge. The response I received was that I could pay $90 for transportation by taxi. Not until I raised a stink with the concierge and explained that this was their mistake did they finally offer to cover the taxi fare, but that was two hours later.

My wife made a reservation in the salon to get a manicure the day of my niece's wedding. When she showed up for her appointment she was told they had "no record" of her reservation. The salon was empty and they asked her to make a new reservation for a different time and again offered nothing for her inconvenience.

We visited the Delta Vacations desk which is located in the same building as the spa and gym to confirm our return airport transfer. When we asked about the included transfers as part of our booking, we were told there was "no record" of our transfers and the representative promised to look into it and call me in my room. That was on a Tuesday. I never heard back from the rep and returned to the desk on Saturday, the day or our departure, to confirm again. This time it was a different rep who again promised to look into it and when I returned 30 min later the person had gone home for the day and did nothing to confirm our transfers.

When we checked into the hotel we upgraded to the Preferred Club for an additional cost of $270. This gave us free wifi for one device in our room and access to the Preferred Lounge which has free wifi. To offset some of that cost, my wife and I agreed to sit in the sales presentation which offered a credit of $150 which I was told could be applied to my credit card at check out. Yes, regardless of what anyone tells you, it is a sales presentation for their vacation club which is almost the same as a timeshare.

During the sales presentation we mentioned some of the problems we were experiencing at the resort and the immediate response from the sales woman and later her manager was that the Now Jade is their "bottom low-end property." They tried to justify the horrible customer service of the concierge, quality of the food, and the poor service of the wait staff because it is their low end property and assured us if we invested money into their company and stayed at the other properties it would be much nicer. We already own a time-share in Mexico and have never experienced these kinds of problems and declined all offers to buy their vacation club. The sales woman and manager were not interested in documenting any of our complaints and only asked that we leave feedback upon check-out.

Food and Alcohol:
What the hotel calls a mini bar is a small cheap fridge in your room which holds some bottled water, soda, and a few beers. The pool bars only cater to alcohol service and since I am not a big drinker I could not even order an iced tea. For being an all-inclusive resort you can not order any food items from the pool areas or bar, you have to go to a restaurant or the buffet.

The buffet is terrible. During our first night we visited the buffet since we were tired and did not feel like getting dressed up for dinner. The food selection was poor, most food looked like it had been sitting out for hours, and overall it was unappetizing. We visited the buffet on a different night and it was the same. In my opinion, If you are paying for an all-inclusive resort the buffet should be amazing. It should be an equal option to eating at one of the sit down restaurants. If you are staying here, avoid the buffet at all costs and go to one of the sit down restaurants. The service will more than likely be poor, but the food quality will be better.

By the last day my wife and daughter were so afraid of getting a stomach illness that our other family members were experiencing that they refused to eat anything for fear that we would have to delay our return trip home. Once we arrived home all three of us had a stomach illness for three days and I lost time at work as a result. We traveled with a large group and everyone in our party got sick either at the Now Jade or after their return home. I have never had a stomach illness from my previous travels to Mexico and believe 100% that it has something to do with unsanitary conditions regarding the food served at the Now Jade resort.

To add insult to injury, when I checked out of the Now Jade on June 29, I inquired about my credit of $150. I was given a receipt for the transaction but when I checked with my credit card company one week later there was no credit issued. I now have to enter a dispute with my credit card company and provide copies of my receipt to try and get my credit issued. This resort has been nothing but headaches. Please do your homework and read other reviews before making your decision to stay at the Now Jade.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank GeoffreytheGiraffe

Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us through Tripadvisor. We receive all the feedback from our guests and are addressed to the operations staff and executive committee to improve our service.

Please accept our sincere apology for not giving you the level of service that you and all our guests dessert.

We would like to comment that the coupons are used to pay part of the additional services in the resort. We sincerely regret you were not well informed about this.

We would like to comment that our resort has strict hygiene programs to comply the procedures in handling the food & beverage. We really hope you are feeling better now.

We very much appreciate the time you took to share your feedback with us through Tripdavisor. We wish to have the opportunity to welcome you and recover your confidence in our service.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed July 8, 2013

My Husband and I went to Now Jade for a wedding from June 20-28. We had a ocean front room with an amazing view. The room was very nice, just the AC wouldn't get as cold as we wanted (maybe because we were on the highest floor?). But the room and the view were overall really nice. The restaurant and the food were good to compared to other all inclusive places we have been. There was always something to eat. The resort was always nice and clean as well. We got massages at the spa, which was also relaxing, nice and clean. The beach was just ok, we prefer the beach in cancun (hotel zone) because its a lot prettier with whiter sand beaches. The resort is sort of isolated and taxis get expensive; we would recommend renting a car if you want to venture out. Most all of the staff was very nice, just one rude host at the french restaurant when we went for dinner. Would definitely go back there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sandeep9585

Dear Madam

We at Now Jade Riviera Cancun are pleased to know that your expectations were surpassed and thus made your stay memorable with us. Thank you fof sharing your feedback with us through Tripdavisor. Your very valuable comments have been shared with the operations staff to improve our service in all possible ways.

We wish to have the privilege to welcoming you again in the near future.

Our best regards,

Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I, along with a few other adult family members, recently stayed here. The first room they put us in smelled terrible; swampy, musty & moldy to name a few. Because we asked for new rooms, the check-in process took well over two hours. We were "upgraded" to the Preferred Club section of the hotel, but we did have to pay extra per night. This basically gives you more of a living space in your room, access to the Preferred Club Lounge (which has wi-fi, but was spotty on all but our last day there) and the ability to eat at one of the restaurants for breakfast that is not open to the rest of the hotel. While this was nice, I would rather have stayed elsewhere. It was such a process and headache to switch our rooms, that you should probably just book an ocean view room from the start. The other views are not good.
The food was okay and the portions are small. Our favorite restaurant was Spice with Hibachi - which was excellent, I would have eaten there again in a heartbeat. The service was rather slow at some of the restaurants.
Also, the "entertainment" was not what we were expecting, having stayed at other resorts, The first night we got there, they didn't have enough chairs to accommodate everyone - and weren't bringing more in. The next night they offered a Magician and had a circus show another night - not something we were looking forward to since we don't have kids. They also offered a Tequila Tasting one day, but we waited over a half an hour in the location specified and the tasting never started. Only to find out it had been moved.
The Mini Bar in your room only comes with Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, some juices and 4 cans of beer. Don't be expecting anything more in terms of a mini-bar. Although, they did give us a bottle of champagne, peanut M&Ms and a mini can of pringles as a "welcome gift". This was nice to enjoy on our balcony.
You may want to bring shoes for the ocean, as parts are pretty rocky. But we never had a problem getting chairs by the ocean - the pool was a different story. They do have an Adults Only pool which was really nice, and much quieter than the other pool. They also don't have towel cards, and allow you to take towels once you get to the pool
Overall, our stay wasn't terrible, but I would probably choose a different hotel if we were to return to Riviera Maya. If you are staying here, opt for the Preferred Club as the Lounge is really nice, especially on the evenings where the entertainment lacked. Also splurge for a room with a view and on a higher floor, as this will make your trip!

Room Tip: The rooms in the Preferred Club area are much quieter, and more spacious. However, you're going...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel O

Dear Madam,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Jade Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all others within this destination, to enjoy your recent holidays in Cancun.

We appreciate your time in writing this review and sharing with all on Tripadvisor. All of the comments are shared with the operations staff to improve our service in all possible ways.

We very much appreciate your feedback that helps us to continue improving our facilities and services. We wish to have the privilege to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our 30th anniversary at Now Jade, from June 30 to July 5th. What a beautiful resort, with fantastic views of the Caribbean Sea.

Overall our experience was good, but there were a few disappointments.
On arrival we were asked to attend a presentation of one of their new resorts and we were told this was not a sales presentation. That was not true. This is a vacation exchange sales pitch that we would not have agreed to if we had been told the truth. As it was, we wasted nearly two hours of our vacation listening to this dribble that is nothing more than a mocked -up timeshare.

We also had some other disappointments, such as getting our min-bar restocked, which was part of the Preferred package. We ate in the Mercure restaurant one night and ordered a bottle of wine for later during our stay. We asked for a specific bottle at $38.00 but the Maître DE kept trying to sell us a more expensive bottle. We drank the bottle later during our stay. Upon check-out, we were charged for the more expensive bottle of wine. We went back to the Maître DE and asked for a reduction on the cost of the wine. He simply said, "If you drank the wine, you must pay for it." Recommendation - ask for a copy of the receipt if you order wine.

On the other hand, the bartenders and staff at the adult pool were amazing. Marcelo, Zepeda, Cesar and Marciel made our trip one to remember for a life time. They took care of our every need, always had a smile, were so gracious and cordial. We would go back to Now Jade just for these gentlemen - our new amigos. The rest of the resort staff could truly learn something from them. You four compadres will forever be in our thoughts and we cannot thank you enough for making our vacation.

Room Tip: Opt for the Preferred package and get a suite, with separate living room and ocean view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TNT1983

Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us through Tripadvisor about your recent stay at our resort. We will share your feedback with the operations staff as well as with the Food & Beverage Department. They read all our guests´s comment to improve our service in all possible ways.

Zepeda, Marcelo, Cesar and Marciel will be so happy to hear they contributed to make your stay more enjoyable.

We very much appreciate your comments that help us to continue improving our facilities and services. We wish to have the opportunity to recover your confidence in our service.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Celebrated our daughter's wedding at the Now Jade. Was impressed by the service, food, rooms. Everybody worked hard to make sure we were looked after, from the waiters and bR men, to room service, to coicerage. Ofcourse, a tip goes a long ways!

Liked the open layout of the resort and that it was very family friendly, plenty for the kids to do. Also appreciated the fact that there were many choices for good quality evening meals. The buffet too was excellent. Our room was large, very well appointed, and had a great ocean front view, could not have been better!

About the only downer was the beach, parts were a bit rocky...but nothing really to complain about.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Raj R

Dear Sir/ Madam

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Jade Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all others within this destination, to celebrate your daughter´s wedding at our Resort.

We appreciate for sharing your comments on Tripdavisor about our facilities, but mostly about the service provided by our staff. We will share your feedback with them.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We have been to Mexico several times before, but this was the first time we took the kids. The resort exceeding our expectations. We had a family suite (two rooms, 1 king and 2 doubles), which faced the new resort being constructed. We never once heard the neighboring construction and neither did the kids as they slept in well every morning. The food was generally pretty good and loved the infinity pool. Great resort for the money. Definitely plan to go back!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
NowJadeRC, Social Media Coordinator at Now Jade Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Dear Sir / Madam,

It is very gratifying for us to learn that we exceeded your expectations. All of the comments will be shared with the staff.

We very much appreciate your comments that help us to continue improving our facilities and services. We really hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Warmest regards

#13 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#44 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Now Jade Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!