“Some Pluses, Some Minuses, Mostly Just Average”

Ranked #8 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed at the Now Jade Puerto Morelos in January for our daughters wedding. This is probably our 15th or more trip to the Mayan Riviera, staying at a wide variety of resorts.

Pluses;

-The resort is 30 minutes from Cancun and the Airport

-If you don’t like large resorts, this is a medium sized resort and easy to get around

-The service from 99% of the staff was better than many of the higher calibre resorts, we had been to.

-Gym is decent sized

-Buffet food is above average (based on other resorts we have been to) Service was mostly good.

-Puerto Morelos is only a 30 minute walk from the resort. Decent shopping.

-Lounge chairs are usually available, on the beach

-A-la-carte restaurants were good 7/10

-The resort coffee shop was excellent. Our favourite pit stop during days nights, and in between
Cappuccinos, which were served (throughout the resort), were properly made, not the powdered machine-dispensed variety.

-The rooms were very nice, ours had somewhat of a view, terraced bedroom and living room, nice deck. Washroom had a large jetted tub (easily large enough for two people, with a hand shower, and a full sized stand up shower, with a rain-shower type head, bidet and two sinks.

-I got a sore throat /lung infection. The hotel Doctor on call (Booked through Manulife Travel Insurance) was prompt, professional, and came right up to our hotel room.

-Room service was prompt, professional and the food was warm

-Wedding coordinator and staff were excellent and very hard working.

-Check in and Check out was fast

Minuses;

-No reservations taken at the restaurants

-Special theme nights, the resort buffet is closed and dinners are served outside (I would line up at a restaurant instead of the outside dinners)

-Lounge chairs can be hard to reserve, around the pools. (towel game)

-Swimming pools were smallish and water was cold

-No big outdoor hot tubs, that we could find

-Weather was cool. This was our first time in the Mayan this time of year. Bring a light jacket or two, long pants and a warm shirt or light sweater.

-Beach is sandy but not fabulous, once you enter the water. Some coral areas (water shoes required) I prefer a better beach with snorkelling or good swimming. 4/10

-Resort is too small for our liking

-Resort was not what we would call luxurious.

-There is not a lot to do on the resort itself.

-Transit leaving the airport was S L O W (provided by Westjet)

-Transit leaving the resort was S L O W and somewhat disorganized

---------

We were at the Now Jade for ten days. While we enjoyed our stay, we prefer a larger resort with more activities, a little more luxurious grounds, better beach/swimming and having experienced the no-reservation system, prefer the reservations offered at other resorts. We realize that sometimes booking or waiting for your reservations can be a PITA. At the Now Jade, on some nights we found ourselves literally starving, because the buffet was closed during theme nights, and the a la carte’s had lengthy waiting times.

Not being able to book times, meant that nights were sometimes rushed, just trying to get a meal, and by the time we did eat, the night was near a close.

If you go, watch for the theme nights, and plan your meals ahead.

There is a sports complex on the roof of the fitness area, but as soon as the sun comes down, I understand that there is a ravenous fog of mosquitoes waiting, to dine on tourists.

If you walk from the resort, to Puerto Morelos, be aware there are ‘gators in the swampy areas beside the road.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank FastWater
NowJadeRC, Social Media at Now Jade Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear Sir / Madam,

Congratulations for your daughter´s wedding. We really appreciate the time you took out of you busy time to write a review and shared your beautiful photos about your recent stay. We hear all your comments, and certainly we take seriously all our guests´ feedback that enable us to improve our services in all possible ways.

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide your valuable review on Tripadvisor.com We do hope you would give us chance to regain your confidence in our resort and allow us to welcome you back in a near future.

Olivia Rodriguez

Reviewed March 1, 2013

We spent 9 days at the resort
Pros Nice , large rooms

Cons 1 Food is awful , quality is very bad , very poor varieties at the buffet , restaurants , many people during our stay ve got sick , food poisoning...
2 Drinks are all diluted with water , including brandy...vodka...beer
3 Sea area all rocky it is next to National reef conservation area, all the beauty at the resort just couple palm trees in the middle of the resort the rest is empty space!
4 Night shows very poor organized , just couple people trying to entertain you
5 Wedding oriented...on a weekends lots of weddings and half of the staff trying to manage that ,
6 Spa is very expensive just to come for sauna and jacuzzi you have to pay at least 40 $ per person, prices for massage 80 $ and up
6 Overall after 20 years of traveling experience in Mexico the is is the worst place we ever stayed, this is not a 5 star hotel at all...we only can give five stars for their rooms thats all

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Janna B

Dear Sir / Madam,

We appreciate your feedback and always take the opportunity to use guest comments on Tripadvisor as a way to improve both our service delivery and product. All of the comments are shared with the operations staff to let them know our guests`s feelings.

We sincerely regret if we did not fulfill your expectations and we really hope to have another opportunity to welcome you in the near future.

Cordially yours

Olivia Rodriguez

Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed in Now Jade Private Suite last year in from October 13-20, 2012. The choice was recommended by our travel agency. First of all, the receptionists in the private lounge were friendly and helpful, yet, the check in process took very long time. I believe that took almost an hour. The room was ok, we got the ocean view close to the adult pool and ocean with jacuzzi on the balcony. The overall room was fine but quite old looking because lots of amenities were not changed properly. The trash can was super old and believe it or not, there was only one in the suite room, we both have to move that can in and out the bathroom. The food was great especially the buffet, Italian and Asian, the staff there made the experience greater. The French was good for breakfast because it was not taking forever to get the food.

Our anniversary special was to receive a bottle of champagne and four small miniature liqueurs of our choice and snacks. They never arrived to us until we really have to call everyone from room service, concierge, and housekeeping. Finally, we got that champagne on the last night stay so who were going to have that chance to drink before the flight that will leave at 10 am. I ended up leaving that bottle to thank the housekeeping with some tips.

The worst experience of mine was the spa service. I booked the service with a female therapist at six pm to get out at seven for dinner with my husband and it was Saturday, the last day. When I got there at five thirty, I was told that I was no show for an appointment at five and I still could get the service with a male therapist instead. Missing the service was fine but the way that the chubby male receptionist talked to me was telling me in my face that I lied about time arrangement. He also called his co worker to make sure that there was no way I could have made that arrangement with a female staff on the phone that morning. Basically, I interpreted his words that I was lying. I was upset so I walked back to the private lounge, the same answer came out that there was no way I could have booked the service over the phone with a female. I wrote the complaints and passes it to the staff named Leo. Also talking to the spa supervisor whose name has been already forgotten since it was long time ago. Until now I still have not heard from anybody.

I assumed all happenings caused by communication skills, lack of details on their own offers, not well trained people, some may pick the wrong type of job.

My husband and I will never go back there and will stick with Hard Rock Hotel, offering better food and value for money.

Room Tip: Get the private suits non on third floor at least with ocean view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Pamelaloo

Dear Madam,

We sincerely apologize for the lack of communication regarding your recen stay. We will share you very valuable comments with the operations staff, and particulary with the Spa Manager to let him know about your review.

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide your valuable review on Tripadvisor.com We do hope you would give us chance to regain your confidence in our resort and allow us to welcome you back in the future.

Olivia RodrÍguez

Reviewed February 28, 2013

We just got home from Now Jade & I can't say enough great things. This was our 3rd all inclusive staying within thd Amresorts chain. We stayed at 2 dreams resorts. Honestly I don't think we would stay at any other all inclusive group, we loved all the resorts that much!
The rooms at Now were gorgeous. By far the nicest room we've had. We stayed on the non preferred side in building 1. We payed for a tropical view but ended up getting a room facing the main pool with a partial ocean view. This was a very nice surprise.
We spent most of our time at the main pool. The drink servers were very attentive especially Marco. We thoroughly enjoyed all of the restaurants. Our favorite was Spice, then Mercure, then Capers, then Cin Cin. We didn't do hibachi at Spice & it was amazing. Recommend the Chicken Satay appitizer & Malaysian beef entree. We did the buffet for breakfast most days & castaways for lunch. Both were good.
Our favorite bartender was the famous Darius at Mixx! He was so friendly, made amazing drinks. We had quite the adventure our last night closing the Mixx. Darius made us a trio of his famous shots & we ended up dancing the night away at Scores. Wild night!!! Scores was very quiet, not much of a club but we made the most of it.
I got a massage at st the spa which was very relaxing. We didn't go to any of the shows & that's the one regret we have. If we stayed longer we would definately would have done some.
Overall we give this resort a 9 out of 10 & had a wonderful vacation! Definately would recommend to others!

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Apar18

Dear Sir / Madam,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Jade Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all other resorts within this destination, to enjoy your recent holidays in Cancun. We appreciate for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed our beautiful resort, restaurants, spa service and overall the service provided by the staff. Darius and Marco will be so happy to know they fulfilled your expectations.

We are honored that you chose the Now Jade Riviera Cancun for your special travels, and we look forward in having you as a guest again.

With kind regards,

Info.nojrc@nowresorts.com

Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Firstly some background info, we were a couple from the UK, not too into lots of drinking and nightlife and knew we did not want to stay on the typical high rise Cancun strip. I have travelled extensively around the world, Australia X5, India, Maldives, Japan, Texas, New York, Egypt, Dominican Republic, Thailand X3 and vast amounts of Europe. These travels have included many All Inclusive options.
We were not too worried about some of the negative reviews before we went as we could tell if people moaned about there not being a burger bar in stretching distance of the sun lounger or they felt 75 different breakfast options was not enough- well surely life is never going to satisfy them!

Check in was fine, we arrived late at night so was very quick, we mailed in advance to say ideally we did not want a room next to building works, this was granted and we got a view looking at trees and other apartments. This was perfect as we did not want to pay for sea views as we were going to be by the sea all day anyway! We hardly ever saw anyone on their balconys around various areas of the resort, maybe it's just a take a pic to brag to the reles when you get home deal??
Room was clean, airy and spacious.....amazing bathroom, jacuzzi inside much better, who wants one on the balcony for everyone to see?! Water was not dirty, unless you had sand on your feet and sun cream etc, this did make it go a bit scummy of course.
Maid service was daily-had a towel Birthday Cake, was fab!
No noise was heard, very peaceful (In Block 3)
We stayed most of the time at the Adult only pool, suited us well, quieter most of the time, the odd louder than everyone else person or people bringing stereos for everyone else to hear, but give the staff 10 minutes and people are politely reminded its the Adult Quiet Pool! If you wanted more lively the main pool looked fun too where you could shout and play music.
The beach is average, few rocks in places, not as tropical as some beaches. So......for a change, take a taxi to Pureto Morelos (100 pesos-£5 each way) where you have whiter sand, aqua blue water and snorkelling from the beach. The snorkelling is accessible from the beach, roped off from boat traffic and amazing. I saw several turtles, numerous tropical fish and black eagle rays.
The food at Now Jade was amazing. Yes, for something more than average go to the restaurants. Favourites were Spice and Mercure. The portions were smaller than what you may pile on your plate at the buffet, but we found this was a welcome relief after eating more than usual because your on holiday anyway!! You will never starve, you can order 2-3 starters if you want or room service after!! People that were still hungry....what on earth do you eat at home?!!!
You do need to get at the restaurants promptly or prepare to wait for the first sittings to finish, being just 2 of us was defiantly a benefit. If you were a big group you wouldn't be able to slot in so easily.
The only very small negatives (which were hard to find) are the weather boards were not updated frequently, and after asking for a remote control for the TV it did not work. But we figured turning the TV off by moving might not be a bad thing after all the food consumption!
The WiFi was sometimes slow and patchy. We could get it on our balcony, in bed, in the main lobby and really well at the Adult pool.

We did not upgrade to preferred as we really could not see any benefits for us. We 'preferred' breakfast at the buffet overlooking the sea (Mecure/preferred breakfast looked at trees!) We got a weeks Internet for the cost of one nights upgrade and used it in room and by pool everyday, did not see the need to be in a seperate lounge to do this either.

So, overall, with all our travelling, yes I would stay at Now Jade anytime and it's rare that we would return to the same place. If your an open minded, chilled traveller not expecting the earth for normal monies paid you will have an amazing time here!

• Stayed: February 2013
7  Thank stazz6

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you very much for your sharing your generous feedback and beautiful photos on Tripadvisor. We are so happy to know you enjoyed your stay at Now Jade Riviera Cancun. We will sure share your kind words with our team.

It is great you had chance to visit Puerto Morelos, which by the way, this cute little town has an amazing beach.

Once again thank you very much for sharing your feedback with the tripadvisor community. We wish to have the privilege to welcome you again in the near future.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Very good food with a variety of choices ranging from Italian, Oriental, Mediteranian and of course Mexican. Buffet's have a very good variety of choices. Enjoyed "Oscar" night as the staff took advantage of an event and "ran" with it. Loved the staff who were all friendly and went out of their way to make sure all needs were met. VERY service oriented. BE SURE to stop by the beach side bar in the afternoons and late evening to visit with "Darius" who will accomidate any beverage requests. His bartending skills are second to NONE and he offers a good variety of options. He also specalizes in unique creations such as his 'Happiness" mixture and 5 layer \ color combination. Issue... careful not to leave open food in rooms as we had an ant invasion, nothing overly serious and not the fault of the resort given the climate, but you have to be careful leaving open food in the room. Also, be careful of very slippery surfaces if wet by the pools, paths. Overall, very clean rooms, grounds - beaches, accomidating staff, and food (24/7 room service is great) with a huge variety of cocktails. Would chose this again.

Room Tip: It depends on your needs, but consider your physical needs as some paths might be a challenge \ slip...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Baldwin B

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to give us your feedback regarding your most recent stay with us. We are glad to read that you have been overall impressed with our service received from our staff, specially from Darius, he will be happy to know your great comments.

We appreciate very much your feedback that helps us to continue improving our facilities, services and we wish to have the privilege to welcome you again in the near future

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I went with friends to celebrate a friend's birthday. Highlights of this resort would be the a la carte restaurants (especially the Italian and Asian restaurants), the beach, the rooms, and the friendly staff......especially Darius at The Mix bar......watch out for his special shots!!

Negatives for the resort include the closure of amenities to accommodate the many weddings at the resort. Many days The Mix bar was closed for hours which was unfortunate because it was right on the beach. Also, glasses looked like they were basically rinsed before another use. The resort also charges for Wifi/Internet access which is ridiculous for an all inclusive.

The buffet also had its challenges. They constantly ran out of bacon for breakfast. Lots of items were lukewarm or cold and many lunches they said they didn't have white wine when you could get it elsewhere in the resort. Lastly we believe a couple of friends got ill on our last day from food eaten at the resort.....not a way you want to end a holiday!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank BJBright

Dear Sir / Madam,

We appreciate your valuable comments about your stay. Our guests´ feeback allows us to keep and improve the services we render. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again and show you the real service that characterize us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
#13 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#44 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Now Jade Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!