“Go Now to Now Jade”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas, Pennsylvania, United States
“Go Now to Now Jade”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at Now Jade Jan 14-19 as part of a large group of travelers attending a vendor-sponsored industry event. The group was somewhere in the vicinity of 250 travelers, so the staff definitely had their work cut out for them. Not only were there that many travelers, but we also used several large event rooms each day for product training sessions and had set dinner reservations at each of the on-site restaurants and a huge catered event twice during the week. My opinion is that the staff knocked it out of the ballpark! What a great bunch of people working at Now Jade! Our entire time there, we never had a negative experience with any of the staff. We interacted with the front desk, concierge desk, wait staff, bartenders, housekeeping and groundspeople at various times and each time, we were met with a friendly smile and an offer to help us with anything we needed. We arranged a day trip to Playa del Carmen with the concierge desk and we waffled 3 times as to whether we wanted a van or a taxi, about how many of us there would be and how long we would be gone and there was never any frustration on the part of the concierge, just helpful advice.
We had a Jungle View room, which is not really accurate, as the view was of some bushes and a construction site next door (the rooms were paid for by the sponsors of the event, so I wasn't complaining, but if I was paying myself I would probably upgrade to an oceanview with the jacuzzi tub on the balcony). The rooms were large and well appointed and the king bed in our room (2 beds pushed together, but still) was very comfortable. The bathroom was huge, with a nice-sized jacuzzi tub. There was a small balcony, but I really couldn't imagine using it for anything other than smoking, since (as I pointed out earlier) there really was nothing to see except the bushes right in front of you. Housekeeping was very good and kept the room well cleaned and stocked.
The pool areas were really nice and there is an adults-only pool, which was really great for our group. The Infinity pool in the adult area was especially nice and there are hammocks in the pool, which is something I personally never experienced before and was incredibly relaxing, as the surf was only about 30 yards away. The bartenders were all really great and were quick to help out with a tropical selection and were always making cocktails that I had never seen nor heard of (which would be pretty shocking to anyone who knows me!).
The restaurants were nicely appointed but the food overall was just ok. Breakfast at the buffet place was the best food I had in any of the on-site restaurants. I didn't have a chance to eat at the buffet for lunch but heard from several people that it was very good.
There are not many on-site activities, which for me was fine, as I just wanted to relax at the pool and swim and drink after our daily training sessions. However, if I was there without that itinerary, I might get a little bored after a couple days. Of course, there are myriad things to do in that area, it just means arranging the excursion and leaving the resort grounds.
Overall, I truly enjoyed Now Jade and would certainly visit again and recommend to friends and family.

Room Tip: I would suggest upgrading to an OceanView with the jacuzzi on the balcony.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tom M
NowSapphireRC, Social Media at Now Jade Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Jade Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all other resorts within this destination, to enjoy your recent holidays in Cancun.

We appreciate your time to write a positive review and shared it on Tripadvisor about our services and installations. All of the comments are shared with the operations staff, they will be so glad to know that the service provide by them was of your total satisfaction.

Thank for your recommendation and we wish to have the privilege to welcome you again in the near future.

Cordially yours

Social media

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,476)
  • Polish first
Plattsmouth, Nebraska
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Wife & I joined 2 other couples for a week of relaxation in January. The Now Jade delivered! a very short ride from the airport and we were greeted with warm towels and drinks. We are empty nesters, and spent our days at the adult pool, where it was quiet and so relaxing. The pool concierge, Ivan, was wonderful. We had experienced issues with "pool chair claiming" at a previous resort where guests would leave articles on chairs to "reserve" them, then not use them for hours and hours. This was not a problem at Now. Ivan made certain everyone found space. We really loved that there were so many restaraunts to choose from, and they were not clogged with reservations like some resorts. It was a pleasant walk into Puerto Morales, about 1.5 miles. The little town was quaint, laid back, and fun. Not getting into a car for 7 days was great. We never got bored. Evening entertainment was fun, the entertainment staff did great. I highly recommend this as a great place for adult relaxation.

Room Tip: The gift shops at the resort was way expensive. We walked into town & bought brim hats, sunscree...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bsorens
Dear Sir / Madam,

We appreciate your time to write a positive review about our services and installations. All of the comments are shared with the operations staff. Ivan will be so happy to know he was able to assist you.

Once again than your for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor and we wish to have the privilege to welcome you again in the near future.

With kind regards,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 8, 2013

My friend and I stayed the Now Jade Dec 5th - 12th.
We had booked the oceanview room and upon arrival realized that it was really more like a partial oceanview.
Luckily we got to experience both the regular side and also the privaleged members side (which is toatlly recommended).
This side of the resort is worth it... each room had a big jucuzzi tup on the balconies and the rooms are bigger and offer actual beautiful oceanviews. The service seems to be much better as well.
The pool cabanas are great and first come first serve basis... also hammocks by the pool are super relaxing.
The beach.... the ends of the beach are nice and clear but in the middle its too rocky to enjoy.
Room service was ok at best
Restaurants were great... preferred them over the buffet for dinner.
The beach loungers get taken up pretty fast... since everyone wants to be at the ends of the beach by the clear waters.
Quite resort not a party atmosphere... which is what we wanted.

Room Tip: Worth it to get the previlaged membership
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Seematony
NowSapphireRC, social media at Now Jade Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,

We are pleased to know you enjoyed your stay in our beautiful resort. We appreciate your time to write a review and shared it with the tripadvisor community. All of the comments are addressed to the operations staff to let them know our guests´ satisfaction.

We look forward to welcome you again very soon.

Sincerely yours,

Kelowna B.C. Canada
Reviewed February 8, 2013

The staff at this hotel is the best we've come across at an all inclusive resort. They really made our stay the best. Abraham who oversees the restaurants is amazing, friendly and made sure that we had the best dining experiences every evening. William at the French restaurant was charming, friendly and a great waiter. The food at the French restaurant was delicious.
We also had a dinner on the beach one night that Abraham organized for us and we had steak & lobster it was so good. Totally recommend it! Secret tip! Spend $100+ on a bottle of wine and the dinner is free!

While we were there we went into Cancun one day and came home after dark. I accidentally left my cell phone in the cab. The staff was so helpful, but I thought I'd never see it again. Staff member Jose Luis Peraz made it his personal project to get my phone back for me. He drove to Cancun, found the taxi driver and had him bring it back to the resort for me. What a great guy!

The drink service at the pools is great, they come by regularly, it seems just as you're about to run out the waiter is back. Small regular tips of $2 for a couple seem to ensure great service ;)

The sports bar was fun. The music was great for all generations, small dance floor but enough room for everyone. There were also pool tables that were fun as well.

The spa was a great experience as well. We had a couples massage and it was good.

There are a few weddings a day it seemed. A little bit like a wedding factory. We were there for a wedding and they changed the location of the wedding and reception without consulting the couple. The bride was very disappointed, especially about not being given a choice. Everything else was nice though.

The beach wasn't one of the best I've seen. There were rock and seaweed all along the front of the resort. The pools are fabulous though. Well, other than the people peeing in the pool for hours around the swim up bars. But that's nothing different than other resorts.

A $10 cab ride into Puerto Morales was quick and easy. It's a cute little town, little shops to pick up gifts to take home and souvenirs. There was a great little beach bar El Merkaditos was great! Good food, and service and nice to get away from the resort for a little bit. If you're facing the beach just follow the road along the beach to the right, it's about a block or so down the rd.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1921 in building 9 a "preferred member" upgrade gave us an end unit righ...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Pembroke, Canada
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Went for a family wedding. My wife decide to bring her $2500 black diamomnd pendant and earrings. Got off the bus and they took all the lugage. Toured us around for over an hour. Went to our room and the lugage was there minus the diamonds. To our surprise there camera doesn't show anybody looking in our bags.......... Resort was good but it was an expensive trip... We didn't listen to other comments about theft. Make sure you do!!!
....... DON'T TAKE ANYTHING YOU DON'T WANT TO GET STOLEN.....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank domoou
Bradford West Gwillimbury, Canada
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I booked with with my husband and 1 year old at the time literally same day as we flew out. It was a unique situation we landed ourselves in but we scrambled and hoped on a plane to Now Jade.

The resot was meticulously clean and the rooms were absolutley amazing! It was the perfect size - not too big, managebale to get around with a baby. The food was really good and the staff were all so sweet.

I did not enjoy waiting 2 hours to book restaurants but that was the worst part...and maybe the drive in. The resot is of the beaten path. I was getting scared driving in the dark.!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Cattielovestotravel
Dear Sir / Madam,

We appreciate very much your feedback that helps us to continue improving our facilities, services and we wish to have the privilege to welcome you again in the near future.

Cordially yours

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We were here for a wedding Jan 27 - Feb 3. We booked our room months ahead but it was not overlooking pools as requested so we upgraded to the Preferred section at a good rate. We had a lovely room in building 7 with a view of the ocean and the garden where there were beautiful cocoanut palm trees. The room was spacious, nice large shower, separate toilet area with bidet, comfortable sitting room area, large balcony with a jaccuzi. It was very comfortable and easy access for us on the main floor, no problems with any noise. The preferred pool was very close, great staff, very serene area. Best coffee in the Preferred lounge, free wifi, continental breakfast, light lunch, Mimosas at breakfast and liquor if you wanted it. Second best coffee is at Cocos but their desserts live a lot to be desired and minimal. The staff were always at your beck and call and had a friendly "Hola" for everyone. Breakfast buffet was good with lots of choices, Yuri in particular was exceptional. They do close between 11 and 1 pm. Lunch at Castaways was always good, very casual and it overlooks the oean and main pool areas. The pool bars were great, and lots of staff to bring you drinks anytim e. The lobby bar was the worst, all of the drinks were watered down, if you stop in here order beer. We always had our own glasses as well we brought from home. Darius at the Mix Beach Bar is exceptional, he will make anything and do it well and you will enjoy his company. If you are here at sunset make sure to wear Off with Deet, there are mosquitoes out at that time. We did not frequent the sports bar, it is open late and a party area for the young people where anything goes. The buffet is open in the evening but not great at this time of day. There were only 3 of the 5 dinner venues open every night. Capers is the Italian restaurant and wonderful food. Spice was a favorite, Asian cuisine, the sushi bar is expecially fun as they cook in front of you and give you a show but you need 10 people. The food on the menu is good and lots of variety. The restaurant is surrounded by water ponds with koy fish I believe. We tried Mercure which is French, order lots if you go here because their portions for each item would only feed a small child, we did not care for it. Tamarindo is Mexican and only open on Friday. Cin Cin was only open on Saturday night. My son tried to set up a time when it opened for several people and was told there would be a 2 hour wait and there was a minimum charge for 2 bottles of wine at $ 100.00 each, needless to say they chose another venue. We were never ill from eating any of the food and they always provide bottled water. We brushed our teeth with bottled water but we heard they filter all of their water. Take the Cholera medication and Typhoid medication before you go, eat only on the resort and you should have no problems. Their shopping center consists of 2 stores, limited selections so if you want to shop book a ride to Playa Del Carmen as there is lots here, good prices and be prepared to barter, you will not be sorry. Lots of excursions to choose from and staff are most helpful if you are interested, main floor spa building. We did not use the spa but heard wonderful things about it and they did an awesome job of athe girls hair in the wedding party. The Explorers club is for children age 3-12 but there were no children here. The evening entertainment in the theaters was not great, we were disappointed with their choices. They did have a wonderful Carribean dinner in the garden one evening and probably the best entertainment we saw there, enjoyed this very much. One evening they did do a Mexican dinner in the theater area as well and many of our party enjoyed the food here. Another evening there was a fiesta in the garden and lots of tables with things for sale. There are time share people here everywhere,, I would avoid them at all costs unless you are interested, beware of the coupons as this is how they pull you in. Our wedding was wonderful, the staff went above and beyond to accommodate us as there were several weddings that day. The food was so good and the entertainment wonderful. They made it special. Thanks so much. Overall we had a nice time here. Tip the staff for everything they do for you, you are creating jobs for them by being here and they only make $ 12.00 a day.

Room Tip: Preferred and ocean front are of course the best. Building 2 guests had a problem with ants. Young...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank tazzie555
NowJadeRC, Social Media at Now Jade Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,

There are so many things to enjoy about the resort and we are glad to read that your wedding was wonderful. Please know that we have taken your comments concerning the drinks and have shared with the Food & Beverage Director. Darius will be so happy to know he was able to assist you.

Our executive cheff is happy to know you liked the food at the specialty restaurants. He reads all of our guests comments in order to improve the quality of food.

With kind regards,

Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,983 reviews
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Been to Now Jade Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!