“Mostly Dissapointed”

Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 10, 2013

After reading the reviews here on TripAdvisor, we decided that the Now Jade looked like a pretty great resort. Unfortunately, our experience did not meet our expectations of the resort. As a group, we booked 3 preferred ocean-view rooms. Of course, ocean-view was a term used loosely at the Now Jade since one room had a view completely blocked by a palm tree just feet away from the balcony while another room only had a partial view because of one of the pool bar roofs obstructing the view. Of the three rooms, each were with double beds despite requesting king beds at the time of booking. The beds were pretty hard too.

Once in the rooms, we were mostly happy with the interior. The rooms were generally well maintained but had a few problems. For starters, two of the rooms had little bugs on the night stands and floor but we couldn’t find any on the beds/sheets. Additionally, one of the showers had a drip coming from the floor above leading to slight molding and cracking in the shower ceiling. The a/c and thermostat in the room wasn't able to hold a constant temperature and it was either really cold or, if you turned the a/c off, stuffy from the humidity. Finally, in all three rooms the water cycled from scalding hot to cold leading to us jumping in and out of the water stream.

The restaurants and bars were decent. The food was about what you would expect for an all-inclusive resort; tasted okay but didn’t always sit well. The atmosphere at the restaurants was great. Our favorite bar was “The Mix” right on the beach. Damien was the bartender and he provided excellent service but be careful of his mystery shots!

The beach was beautiful but there wasn’t a lot of room for swimming. Straight out from the resort (as soon as your feet got into the water) there was a lot of coral. Definitely take water shoes if you are planning on going into the ocean. If you went all the way toward the marina side of the resort, there was about a 40 foot stretch of beach where you could walk out into the water and not fear cutting your feet on the coral. Of course, the coral did lead to some okay snorkeling right out in front of the resort. Visibility wasn’t great but it was still fun seeing all the fish.

The resort is generally isolated with just another couple resorts and the marina nearby. As a result, prices for some of the activities were higher than you would expect; plan on $65 per person for parasailing or $60 for 30 minutes of wave runners if you are looking at doing extra activities. If you are planning on going into town a cab is $45 just to leave the resort and go a couple miles.

The worst part of the resort was definitely the orange citrus aroma. In the lobby and preferred lounge, they have orange scent added. While I generally like the aromas that resorts add to the air, this one was horrible. In our initial check-in, the smell was strong but bearable. By the end of the trip, simply walking near any of these areas turned our stomachs because it was so overwhelming.

Moving forward, I will not be staying at the Now Jade again. It was a decent value considering the price but I was mostly disappointed with the resort; I’d recommend finding another resort on your next Cancun vacation!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ian A
NowSapphireRC, Social Media at Now Jade Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Dear Sir / Madam,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Jade Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all other resorts within this destination, to enjoy your recent holidays in Cancun. Thank you also for sharing your beautiful photos and review on Tripdavisor.

Your comments and review about your recent stay at the Now Jade Riviera Cancun you shared with the tripadvisor community and our staff are very much appreciated. We will share it with our operations staff so that we can improve our opportunity areas in every possible way.

We appreciate very much your feedback that helps us to continue innovating our facilities, services and we look forward to have a second opportunity to recover your confidence in our service.

Cordially yours,

Social Media

Write a ReviewReviews (9,247)

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed for 10 amazing days at this all inclusive, excellent service and very good value! Specially considering that we were there at Xmas time and New Years when hotel was 100% full!
Rooms are big and very comfortable, excellent beds, food much better than expected.

We have several experiences in all inclusive hotels all over the world and this one was a fantastic surprise! Congratulations to all the staff and thanks for making our 20 members family enjoy great holidays in beautiful Mexico!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank G C

Dear Sr / Madam,

We were happy to read that you enjoyed all the facilities at the resort as well as the service provided by our staff. It is very much appreciated that you liked the resort.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and thank you once again for your kind posting.

Cordially yours

Reviewed January 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Now Jade Riviera Cancun from December 26, 2012 through December 30, 2012 along with another couple. The hotel was well-maintained inside and out. Although the portion sizes were small, the food was wonderful at each of the restaurants and there was an excellent assortment of restaurants to choose from (French, Hibachi Bar, Italian, etc.). With the exception of one hostess, who was extremely rude to our group upon arrival at her restaurant, the waiters and waitresses were all wonderful- extremely pleasant and polite. We never had longer than a five minute wait to be seated at any restaurant, despite the popular vacationing week. We spent each evening at the bar located near the beach with the best bartender, Darius, who provided us with amazing drinks, pleasant conversation, and entertainment! There was nightly entertainment available ("American Idol" singing contests, bands, hypnotist, disco dancing, a fire and water show, etc. and many activities for children to participate in throughout the day. Internet is NOT free, regardless of what you may read or be told ahead of time, which was extremely disappointing as we had anticipated the opportunity to communicate with our child and babysitter through Skype and email while we vacationed. Overall, we had a great vacation and would recommend the Now Jade Resort and Spa to our family and friends!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank HudsonTeacher

Dear Sir / Madam.

Your very valuable comments will be shared with the operations staff & supervisors to make the necessary improvements in our service. We will review your comments with our Food & Beverage Director and incorporate the hostess staff into our ongoing training.

We do hope that we can welcome you back for a second visit very soon.

With kind regards,

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Darius made the vacation. Best bartender!!! Service and people were so nice and efficient. Enjoyed all of the shows and the food. Each restaurant was impressive in its own way but my favorite was by far Darius's bar.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank dawnygan

Dear Sr / Madam,

We are most grateful for your kind acknowledgement of our facilities and personalized service extended to you by Darius. He will be glad to know he was able to assist you.

We appreciate very much your comments that help us to continue innovating our facilities, services and we look forward to welcome you again in the near future.

Cordially yours,

Reviewed January 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the NOW Jade Riviera Cancun from December 28, 2012 to January 3, 2013. We met friends there from around the US and were looking forward to a great week! I will list the good of the resort, the bad, and then finish with a story illustrating how we were treated.

GOOD
Close to the airport.
The staff seemed to always be pleasant and happy to help.
The views from our “Ocean Front” room were wonderful.
- versus the so-called views from the “Ocean View” rooms.
The food at the restaurants was great!
- versus the terrible food in the cafeteria.
Marcial is the greatest waiter ever! He works at the adult pool.
The grounds are well kept.

BAD
The rooms were not clean.
The resort nickel and dimes you terribly. “All inclusive” is an absolute misnomer at this place!
There are lots of rocks under the water at the beach.
Mosquitos came out in swarms as soon as the sun went down and the ocean breeze didn’t seem to help keep them away. This may be tied to the time of year.
We were supposed to receive a newspaper every day. That never happened.
There is supposed to be a mini-bar in your room. This is supposed to consist of four bottles of water, two Cokes, two Diet Cokes, four cans of beer, and three airplane bottles of liquor. We never got the three tiny bottles of liquor.

STORY
We wanted to watch a college bowl game and inquired about it at check in. We were assured this would not be a problem because they have a “sports bar”. Upon reviewing the next day’s events, the night before the bowl game, we saw that there was an entertainer in the “sports bar” one hour after kick off. [Note this resort has a theater that remained empty the night in question.] We (a group of 12 to 15 fans) were told to go watch the game at the preferred lounge when the scheduled entertainment was about to begin. In the lounge, we asked about getting some food. The staff in the lounge told us to go to the cafeteria and bring it back because room service took “very very long”. We did as instructed, but were told by the staff that no food was allowed to leave the cafeteria. We explained that we were told to do this and had to be forceful with the cafeteria manager, who eventually allowed us to leave with two plates of food. Shortly after we returned to the lounge with the food, the attendant in the lounge informed us that she would change the channel if we insisted on cheering because this was supposed to be a quiet space. Needless to say, we were confused because the people in the “sports bar” told us we could go watch the game in the preferred lounge. Ah…conflicting messages. Ten to fifteen minutes after we were reprimanded for cheering, a couple of families arrived. The adults looked pretty tired from a day of delayed flights, but the children were wild. They ran around the lounge, yelled a lot, played tag, pushed the unoccupied furniture around the room, and touched every piece of food on the small hor d'oeuvres bar. We had to tell the children not to step in front of the TV. We did not really mind the noise because it was cover for our cheering. The shocking part is that the attendant did not reprimand the children or the parents. After the family left, we were again reprimanded for being too loud and I asked to speak with the manager because we were told to come here to watch the game and we were the only ones being told to be quiet. When the manager arrived, she did not speak with us. She simply told the staff to stop serving us. We discovered this when I order my second beer of the evening and the waiter informed us that he was not allowed to serve our groups any longer, but we were welcomed to walk to the lobby bar. Now for the best part! At 10:55 PM, we were told that the lounge closed at 11:00 PM and that we would have to go back to the “sports bar” to watch the end of the game. There were 11 minutes left on the clock at this point! When we got to the “sports bar” we realized that it had turned into a disco, after the show ended. The music was so loud we could not talk with each other, even if we yelled. There was no way to hear what was being said about the game. The only upside to being directed to the preferred lounge is that it had bigger TV than the four, 32” models in the “sports bar”. We tried not go get angry that the management and staff chose to treat us in a manner that communicated “You do not matter in any way.”

Bottom line, but there is no way we will ever go back to the NOW Jade Riviera Cancun.

Room Tip: Do not be fooled by "Ocean View". Some of these rooms require a telescope to see the ocean...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank DL-T140V
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My wife has traveled extensively through out the world and I am beginner at this "travel thing". Neither one of us had ever stayed at an "All-inclusive" resort. Therefore, I lack sufficient exposure to the genre to compare Now Jade to other such venues.

However, the "overall" experience was good and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a quick 3 night 4 day get away. The cleanliness of the resort will be immediately apparent. It appears large to the eye and has a certain "wow factor". The courtyard just off the huge front desk lobby is very nice both day and night.

There are five restaurants on the resort, we ate at the French Cuisine and Spice. Both served good food, resort food, but good none the less. We also ate at the Buffet and found it to be good as well, again it's buffet but much better than buffet's you find at your local buffet here in the states.

Service is the word of the day, each day and I found all the employees to be very friendly. Everyone was willing to assist us and never asked for a tip or made me I needed to tip them.

I also recommend getting the "Preferred" upgrade either at time of purchase or upon arrival at check in. I incurred an additional $60 USD a night for such an upgrade. I stayed in room 9309 and was very happy with both the atmosphere of the room and the view of the beach. It was a "tropical view" room, but the main patio opened towards the beach and was only partially blocked by the "ocean view" wing. The "tropical view" was a partial work area / thicket forest... much to be desired. But since we were out during the day time, it was hard to see it after dark.

The Adult Pool is GREAT and has a good view and is very comfortable with a great bartender, Cali. Several tenets get up early to reserve a chair, only to lose it if they don't coordinate with the pool guy first.

Several activities are planned through out the day and my wife and I enjoyed the evening adult events and live music in the lobby at 2130 hours each day.

Issues...

BEACH: is full of rock! By beach, I mean the area under the water will seriously impact your feet! It appears the entire resort is on a rock shelf that was covered by sand to construct a beach. It does not appear on the surface that the rocks are that bad, but you will find if you're a beach bunny, it is littered with rock!

1. Upon "check-in" we met Emanuel, VIP Services, who invited us to breakfast the next morning and to receive a personal tour of the resort, all of which would take 90 minutes. We accepted and the next morning prepared for breakfast found out we were in for the sales pitch! Curiosity set in and I agreed to hear the sales pitch as I was reminded several times that if I declined, "no-problem" 7 out of 10 people do. I was not able to research they resort ahead of time as we simply decided to go at the last minute... Like 4pm on Thursday and left Friday morning at 6am.

2. Lois was our point of contact and made us feel right at home, he was not a high pressure sales men and took time to explain the product and advantages over purchasing future trips through a travel agent. AMResorts wants to sell directly to repeat customers and help defray the cost so more money is spent at the resort. Makes since... yes. Cost effective?

3. There are four levels of membership the lowest is $18k and the top level discussed with us was around $35k. If you have that kind of money and travel that much, sit and listen to what they have to say then let the negotiations begin. However, if you[re like me and only travel when and if you can, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME! Just politely bow out at the first offer for breakfast and resort tour.

4. After you decide not to purchase, the nice guy you just ate breakfast with, will get his manager to just close up and get you a free gift for listening to the sales pitch. We got Sergio... my experience with him almost immediately turned a great trip into an immediate "get up and leave experience". Sergio is the "arm-twister" sent in to salvage a sale or get a negotiated lessor included package. He immediately began asking us to explain who, what, when, where, how and why. I immediately shut him down and explained I had been having a great time at the Now Jade and he was about to ruin it. I was direct and to the point. He accused me of being rude... after shutting him down, they sent in the closer to sell off a reduced 7 day vacation. Didn't bite on that either.

5. The jest of the game, there is a special going on, their Gold Plus Membership for $28k+. For this price you get Preferred rooms and other nice amenities for a reduced price at check in. You get this privilege for 30 years. You also get hooked up with there escort service to receive auto escort to the hotels from the airport at reduced price. Furthermore, reduced cruise package from a wholesaler and reduced airline tickets from another wholesaler, for which you pay a annual fee to use. Also there is the annual fee of $129 to be a member after you pay $28k to purchase the membership. NOT!

After I took a few hours to get over being treated like an idiot to even attempt the purchase the package, I returned to having a good time with my wife. However, the experience will impact my desire to return in the future to the Now Jade Riviera. I would have preferred to have been told the truth upfront when i was asked to breakfast and a tour... silly me, what was I thinking?

So, heed my warning, go have fun and refuse the offer for breakfast and a tour. It is a nice place, if you stay away from the sales trap!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank RWBurris
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Stayed at Jade now from December 27, 2012 to January 6, 2013, there was seven of us in three rooms. 5 adults and 2 kids ages 6 & 7.

Lobby: The hotel lobby is nice and spacious.

Preferred Club: We stayed in Preferred Rooms, so our check in was in the Preferred Lounge. This Lounge was suppose to be for Preferred Members only but anyone could use it there was no checking what so ever.

Room: The room was nice not overly big; it was ocean view, well if you squinted. We stayed at the Barceló in Los Cabo last year, which had the most beautiful rooms, so compared these were average. The preferred side had Jacuzzi tubs on the balcony. Which seemed pointless for adults unless you want all the other balcony’s looking at you, but the kids enjoyed it at night. One day our balcony was over runned with ants.

Restaurants: We ate a the buffet and three restaurants, the Mexican one, the Italian one and Castaways which was snack food. Food was good. Sawyer at the buffet is the best waiter around.

Bars: Not a huge night life, but the bar by the ocean was nice and could get crowded. The lobby bar too was good. My younger brother who is 25 went to the sports bar a couple of nights to play pool.

Pools: My kids loved the main pools. I didn’t really get to view the adult pool but my brother said it was nice.

Kids Club: My kids went in twice, once in the afternoon for a couple hours and they liked it. Then one evening they had a movie in the garden over looking the ocean, which I thought was great the kids loved it.

Spa: had a pedicure and manicure with my mom and daughter. The place was not clean; I was not impressed at all. The ladies were nice enough but the whole time we were in there they were having a huge gabfest in Spanish so we felt like we couldn’t talk with each other. It was strange. The next day I went for a massage and it was good. I really enjoyed it. The Spa was okay.

Staff: The staff was nice, you had people who were nicer and more helpful then others like any where.

New Years Eve: We had to buy a bottle of wine, we bought Dom Perignon for $425 USD to go to the buffet (the food sucked at the buffet at New Years), then we bought a $175 bottle of wine for a Bali Bed later. When I checked out they charged me an additional $100 in service charges on the already over priced wine I bought. I was beyond unimpressed. Then they released theses doves that wouldn’t fly away, kids were man handling them, getting caught in peoples hair,…

Overall: It looks nice at first glance but when you look hard you can see they are not kept up, the washrooms are dirty. I don’t want to think what the stains on the walls in the bathrooms are. The grounds are nice and well maintained but inside the facilities not so much. The atmosphere at the pool was great. We had a good time, the kids made friends, but we would not be back, oh and bring bug spray. I think its back to Los Cabo next year.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family