“Just what we were looking for!”

Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 27, 2012

This Resort was fantastic. We spent 7 very nice days here and there were no disappointments. The rooms were very nicely laid out and very clean. We opted for a ocean view room and that turned out very nice. The bed was very comfortable and the room was very quiet which made for very restful nights. We went to all of the restaurants and all had very good service and the food was top notch. We loved spending time at the beach bar in the evenings because our bartender Darius was awesome. He had a great way of entertaining his patrons and we never went without our favorite drinks. We did not attend any of the nightly entertainment shows so i can't say anything about those. I like to go deap sea fishing while in Mexico so I loved the location of this resort. I was able to walk to the El Cid marina and go fishing which was very convenient.

Room Tip: Select one of the ocean view rooms. The cost is a little more than a garden view room, but it is we...
7  Thank Karen S

Reviewed April 27, 2012

May not look like it as they turn on road to hotel but it is a great location on the beach. Great service We did preferred as only room with ocean view left. Was a great room with jacuzzi but not sure was worth the difference in price for rest of services. Great for people who want quiet sometimes felt like we were only ones in that building, although I know we were not. Liked over by the main pool as was mother daughter vacation so no romance going on. Everyone was friendly. Food was good. Nice choices of restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank travlnjazz
Reviewed April 27, 2012

OK, the not so great reviews I read before going and thought not much of........well I now completely understand the issues that they had with this resort.
We did have some great experiences during out stay, IE a fabulous wedding and some outstanding Staff (Jose Luis (buffet), Fernando (Mercure), Roberto (Entertainment), Sawyer (buffet), Jose (Splash pool bar) and the ladies at the lobby bar), we also had some not so wonderful experiences.
The Good!
- Some of the staff are completely outstanding, going over the top to make your stay wonderful
- The rooms are large and well appointed
- Lots of great drinks
- Great coffee bar (CoCo's)
- Check in and out were a breeze!
- A La Cart food wasn't bad and sometimes even great and not reservations required....bonus!
- Drink service from the wait staff was mostly quick and I believe we were are 100% compasity the week.
- Beautiful resort, nicely landscaped and decorated.
- Great area's for groups of people to hang out
- Never an issue getting a chair at the pool or beach
- Loved the No Bracelets and Towels are everywhere

The Bad :(
- The food was pretty boring, though it looked great it didn't have a lot of taste.
- Service was slow in most restaurants, when you ask for Coffee and water with breakfast, you may be waiting for the milk or a spoon or the water for a long time........just wasn't efficient.
- The resort isn't far from the airport but when you have to stop at a couple of other resorts it can take a long time since everything of far off the hwy. This is typical.
- The beach is nice to look at and sit on but the water is very rocky so not great for swimming......well for the most of the beach anyways, just a small area is clear for walking in.
- Location.....isn't close to much so expensive to go to Cancun or Playa del Carmen. Puerto Morelos isn't far but the road isn't great for walking as it's very narrow.
- Our room had a very dirty couch (lots of stains) and the ironing board was REALLY dirty. Maid service was for the most part awesome but often late. Didn't matter much to us.

The UGLY :S
- My worst nightmare......service for tips! Yes we experience a lot of staff that didn't do much unless you had money in hand. It was a HUGE disappointment. This happened at the bars mostly. We are tippers but I don't want to tip because I feel I have too!
- The floors are slippery, we witnessed may people slip or fall throughout the week, including myself in our room. The pool side is equally as bad. Not sure what product was use but it's dangerous! There are warning signs everywhere but no matter how careful you are it's like ice in Canada.
- The smells. We had a terrible sewage smell throughout the resort the entire week. It was even in the shower water. It may have had to do with heavy rain we experienced, I don't know but it was stinky!

All in all a great resort for large groups of people. The wedding was beautiful and the staff that helped arrange the wedding did a great job.
Would we return, no, not likely. We have been to other resorts that are better suited for us.
But for a wedding, there is no mistake this is what they do best.
If I could have rated the resort on 2 different levels I would have. 3.5 for the overall experience since service was such an issue at times. 4.5 for a wedding resort and the wedding experience.

Room Tip: Stay away from Lagoon......it's stinky!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Stacey H
Reviewed April 25, 2012

We returned April 14 from a 10 day stay at Now Jade where we were married. We had 33 guests come from all over Canada to join us for our wedding. All of our guests have travelled and stayed at various resorts and most of us agreed that this was the nicest resort with the best food.

Hotel Rooms: A+, clean and not damp like a lot of hotel rooms are in the Carribean. Beds were very comfortable. We were upgraded to the Preferred Side with a great pool/ocean view. I did see the regular rooms which were also super nice.

Food: A + , We tried all the a la carte restaurants and our favourites were Spice(Asian) and Capers (Italian). The buffet was also very good as well as the coffee shop with awesome blended ice coffees. You do not need to make reservations which is nice, but it also means that you need to wait for a table (sometimes for a few hours) between the busy dining hours (7-9).

Pools: A, beautiful pools (both the adult only and the main pool). People definitely play the towel game a little too much though so if you aren't up at the crack of dawn to reserve a chair you won't get one at the pool. The one thing I didn't like is that there are no towel cards so people are greedy and reserve 10 chairs and don't even bother sitting at them or freeing them up.

Beach: A, Awesome. Yes there are rocky section (mostly on the preferred side of the beach) but there is about 800 m of Now Jade beachfront property so if you swim in front of the main pool this is the best section for swimming. There are lots of palapas and chairs on the beach as well but the good ones get reserved early. Ocean water was like a bath. There are kayaks and catamarans you can take out. You can walk a good distance on the beach which is mostly deserted beach which is nice.

Grounds: A, Lovely resort and its not too big so it doesn't take too long to walk from one end of the resort to the other. Also, lots of seating in the lobby bar and orange lounge which is nice. Very clean, well maintained, and nice architecture.

Service and Staff: A, 90% of the time the service was amazing. About 10% of the time you would wait extra long in a restaurant for service or you would get inconsistent housekeeping service but overall really good. Room service is really slow though....at least 45 min wait.

Wedding: A+, It was everything I hoped for and more. Pillar was not my original wedding planner but mine quit a few weeks before the wedding so she had to take over. I did not have a lot of correspondence with her leading up to the wedding so I was nervous but I put my trust in her and it all turned out perfectly. My only wish was it lasted longer!!

Spa: A, I went there for a massage one day (which was sub par from a massage point of view) and I also went for hair and makeup for wedding day. Perla did my hair and makeup and was amazing. The spa had a nice feel and was very clean and relaxing there.

Overall, this was the nicest resort I have stayed at (been to about 8 of them) and I really struggle to say anything bad about the whole experience. I highly recommend the Now Jade and would love to return.

8  Thank travelbug00712
NowSapphireRC, Social Media at Now Jade Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2012

Dear Sir / Madam,

Congratulations on your wedding! we are all pleased and honored with comments like yours. We really wish to thank you for that and for taking the time to share your experience in Now Jade Riviera Cancun with others. We will share your feedback with the operations staff.

It is very gratifying for us to know that we could meet your expectations. Pilar & Perla will be so happy to know they were able to assist you.

We hope to welcome you in your first anniversary at our property.

Cordially yours

Reviewed April 25, 2012

We were on our Honeymoon in April. Upon arriving at the hotel, we were greeted with cool towels. The special treatment by upgrading to Preferred. You are taken away to a private check-in. Very good service but DON'T take the trip to see how "return guest" plan at Dreams....it is the SAME thing as time-sharing...very very HIGH pressure sales. Pass on it and keep your blood pressure down. Our room was amazing...we paid an extra 84.00 when we booked for an ocean front....IT WAS AMAZING....hot tub every evening.
I feel that the hardest workers were the maids and the bartenders. Make sure to visit Darius at "The Mix' by the ocean and Juan Carlos in the lobby bar. GREAT people. I was a bit angry about the pool people taking my towels from the pool chairs when we went to eat lunch or just walk on the beach....leave a tee shirt or book on the chairs....maybe it won't happen.
On our last day, we had another private check out but while sitting in the lobby waiting for our trip to the airport, I noticed the front desk people were really "not that into it" ...lack of personality for the people who had to check out there.I feel that everyone should get the same treatment checking out as they did checking in. We will definately return to his hotel and we are glad we have some extra knowledge. Also, make sure you get some snacks before you get to the airport for your two hour wait....the airport prices are out of control.

Room Tip: Ocean view is perfect....higher floors have more privacy
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank aocello

Dear Sir /Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedabak with us throught Tripadvisor regarding your recent honeymoon in Now Jade Riviera Cancun Resort. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay; definitely there is nothing more rewarding for us to see than a satisfied guest. We are glad to share your comments with all of our Now Jade Riviera Cancun, especially with Darius and Juan Carlos.

We are already looking forward to welcoming you next year to celebrate your anniversary.

Cordially yours,

Reviewed April 25, 2012

Overall GREAT trip to the Now Jade. After reading a number of negative reviews on this website and being scared about thefts, bugs, illnesses, etc. I was excited to see that (for me) none of these were an issue. Don't let those reviews scare you.

Beautiful facility and wonderful and courteous staff at the restaurants and at the pools. The options for food are great, anything from fine dining to coffee shops and casual buffet. Food was very good. I would recommend this resort to anyone!

However, what almost ruined my experience was check-in/out process. As I expected from some of the reviews, I was offered an upgrade to ocean view and preferred. I was hoping to get an ocean view before arriving and inquired about it. After some time, they offered me a partially obstructed ocean view for an extra $30 US per day. I found out later that another guest in my group had the same view on a lower floor without an extra charge. I was later informed by another guest that they had received a preferred room and benefits for only $10 per day more than I was paying.

At Check Out, I attempted to obtain late check out due to a later flight. I was lied to by the front desk staff that this was not offered at this resort, even though a number of people in my group had obtained them already. Once I was able to prove that this was in fact offered, she then informed me (without checking) that there were no rooms available and so we needed to leave our room. This was hard to believe considering she had not checked the computer and after being lied to moments earlier. I would have preferred them to pretend to help me, at a minimum.

It seems as though the check in/out staff go out of their way to be unhelpful. This is a shame considering how amazing all of the rest of the staff is.

Great memories from a wonderful place but be prepared for a rocky beginning and end of the trip.

Room Tip: Ocean View upgrade not really worth it!
2  Thank Mike B

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with the Tripadvisor community. We regret that we did not fulfill your expectations at all. We appreciate your remarks that give us the opportunity to adjust and improve our quality and services as well as the resort facilities. We will be attending each comment you kindly forwarded to us to reach the high standards we fully committed ourselves.

Once again thank you for your observations and we hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you in the near future.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed April 24, 2012

This is my first review ever on Trip Advisor but felt it necessary to comment on this resort considering I spent 8 months obsessively stalking this site prior to going to the Now Jade for my Wedding. This may be long so I apologize!!

I got back on April 21st from a week long trip with 33 of my closest friends and family. We came from all over Canada (Alberta, Ontario, NS) and had people from Maine, Maryland and also Florida. Everyone in our group was blown away by the resort, the friendliness of the staff, the food, the service and the consistent accommodation that was made by each and every employee to ensure that our stay was perfect.

Our checkin was flawless - we were greeted and whisked away to the preferred VIP checkin as we got a complimentary upgrade to the preferred side due to our wedding. The coordinator came to greet us upon checkin (despite there being 2 other weddings that day). Our flight info had also changed and I had forgotten to send her that info! Our room was gorgeous - we were in building 7 - and had a beautiful view of the beach/ocean and the other side of the resort. The room was huge, spotless and there was a bottle of champagne waiting when we arrived. A few other of our group had their rooms upgraded to ocean view (in building 1) and the staff tried as much as possible to keep our wedding group together. It is definitely 'negotiable' to upgrade - we heard prices ranging from 70 dollars per day to 20 dollars per day. Anyone who was not completely satisfied with their room (ie bad view or no king size bed) spoke to the concierge and had their room moved/accommodated within a few hours to max 1 day.

The food was great - I ate at almost every restaurant (and the Asian one 3 times!). Im extremely picky, and consider myself to be somewhat of a foodie - and was well satisfied. I also had quite a few allergies in my group - and these were accommodated without question everywhere we went (gluten/dairy etc).

The weather wasn't the best while we were there - but that is nothing that can be controlled! The wedding coordinator was amazing and WORKS SO HARD!! I know people get frustrated with the correspondence leading up to the wedding - but there were 55 weddings this month alone at the resort - and only 1 coordinator (as the other quit without any notice). Nothing was out of place, no detail forgotten - and everything was above and beyond our expectations.

Prior to coming I read all sorts of complaints about the beach, the rocks, the weather, the food, the rooms, people not getting their names printed in a newletter or getting a banner on their door. Seriously?! I can't even believe the things (after being at this resort) that people find to complain about. Our name wasn't in the newsletter. WHO CARES! We didnt get a banner on our door - I dont need people knowing its my wedding day anyway!! Those who counted knew where I was staying :) We also used the spa for both the day of the wedding and the day after - and it was wonderful. I was so happy with my hair/makeup and the massage/facilities that we used the day after. Our room was even decorated with more champagne/rose petals and chocolate strawberries the night of the wedding. Cute!

People in my group tipped well - not because we needed to, not because the 'staff expected it', because we wanted to. Im pretty sure some of them went and tipped the guys who raked the seaweed tirelessly every single day because of whiny people who complain there is seaweed... at the beach!!!!!!!!!

The location of the resort is definitely a bit remote - but we had people go on all sorts of excursions (golf, snorkling, tulum, playa etc) and it didn't seem to bother anyone. And believe me - my group likes to party!

All in all - we had people attend our wedding from all walks of life (those who have never been on vacation to those who are quite well off and have been all over the world) and all agreed wholeheartedly that this was one of the nicest resorts they had been at. We were treated like royalty and had a wonderful time. Don't fret about the negative reviews - those people clearly would find something to complain about anywhere.

Room Tip: Building 7 and Building 1 are where most of us stayed and were very happy with these locations
12  Thank jill m

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor about your wedding. It was an honor to celebrate this imporant event of your life with us. All the remarks are shared with the hotel staff. It is also great to know that your wedding was a memorable one and you had an enjoyable stay with us.

Your gracious comments about the resort facilities and staff will be shared with them, especially with the wedding department. They will be pleased to know that your wedding was what you were expecting.

Please consider our beautiful resort as your new choice of lodging for your future trips to Cancun and of course for your first wedding anniversary.

Cordially yours,