“18 of us and all of us loved it”

Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Mexico
Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 19, 2010

Our stay was the week of Thanksgiving and there were 10 adults and 8 kids ages 10 to 20. We were all in the premium section and we really liked the our rooms. All of the rooms in this section have one king or two doubles. We had a swim up room and the 10 year olds and the teenagers liked to hang out in the hot tub and people watch. Every thing in our room worked and the maid service was twice daily. I do not know if turn down is for premium only or the entire resort. I put of the maid service sign out every day as we left for the pool or beach and our room was made up early on most days.

The ten and eleven year olds loved the kids center and the programming. They went every day at 10am for the tennis lessons and then stayed till around lunch. They went to it in the evenings several times. No complaints cause the kids really had fun. The teen programming was not as good and the teen club charges for the arcade, the games, and the internet. I think that they should change this. If they did not charge I think more teens would hang out there and that would be good because there really was not a great place for the teens to hang out.

The food was great, people complain about Spoons but we had some great meals. We ordered from the menu a few times for breakfast and the Eggs Benedict was very good. We were at Beaches Negril last year and the restaurant here was more spacious, the omelet line moved faster and it was cleaner. We had great service here and at Beaches you would wait to be seated then wait for coffee while here we were immediatly seated and given drinks and refilled often. My husband and I ate lunch almost every day at the Mexican Restaurant. We would get guacomole and pico and chips and then order the fish tacos that we loved. Skip Tapaz, not very good. Italian was great.

The resort is not very encouraging about the town of Puerto Morelos but we loved it. It is small and a true fishing village. It has a town square that is a small park and gets pretty busy around 5 or 6. The church is open air and really pretty. My son got his hair cut a little barber shop and we ate at a cute sidewalk restaurant called "Cantina Habonaro". It was very good and cheap. The cab ride is less than 10 minutes (5-6) and there is plenty of souviner shopping.

We liked the adult bar in the evening, the top bars are nice early but when the entertainment starts it is loud so after some entertainment the adult bar is a nice place for conversation and winding up the night.

We thought that the pools were clean and lovely and we had great drink service by the pool but not much drink service on the beach. The beach is good to walk but for swimming be careful of the rocks.
All in all, we were in heaven at the Azul, we relaxed, ate well, enjoyed all of our family and had a memorable trip.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
7  Thank KristySTL

Reviewed January 15, 2010

Arriving at the hotel we received an upgrade to the premium section swim up pool room. Concierge for this section were not helpful, very difficult to get hold off - use reception for anything you need! Room was damp smelling, tv didnt work very well, jacuzzi both in and outside the room had problems. Both took an awful long time to get fixed.

All that said my parents room was excellent, the one issue was fixed immediately and staff were very response - so I would recommend rooms in the adult only section.

Food - I could not fault, we were amazed at the qualiy and variety at an all inclusve resort. Le chique was exceptional and we paid to upgrade to the 14 course meal for the experience, which again was exceptional.

Pool staff at the premium section were very friendly and could not do enough to assist you, restaurant staff were also very friendly. Unfortunately that could not be siad for some of the guests, who were loud and obnoxious, this however is not the hotels faulat and the pool staff did take steps to stop some this loud group. There were a lot of groups of people at the hotel, predomiantely for weddings, the hotel host on average 1 to 2 a day so this does mean large groups, which during our stay all seemed very loud day and night.

For day to day meals I would recommend the italian and carribean restaurants. Le Chique is very busy and there does appear to be confusion over days that it is open.

We didnt spend time watching the hotel entertainment, but heard mixed reviews.

The hotel is located in the middle of nowhere, we did a couple of trips out which can be booked with your holiday company rep or at the hotel and are very similarly priced.

Please avoid using the cash point at the hotel, only pays in US dollars, however because of the conversions used (peso - USD and exchange rates and fee to use it becomes extremely expensive to use.

The hotel is suggested by Thomson to by 5 Star, or 5T. I am not sure that is appropriate, there is nothing terrible about it and for a relaxing holiday it is great but for such a new hotel it is already tired and in need of repair.

I would recommend the hotel to a friend but I would also point out its good and bad points

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
8  Thank Kyla64
Reviewed January 14, 2010

We were with our children and grandchildren, The grounds are a perfect size. The children had wonderful care. The food was great. All the employees were friendly, smiling and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank Sparrow20
Reviewed January 10, 2010

I was there with my wife, 2 small kids, and extended family between Christmas and New Years and we had an incredible time. Of course there were little annoyances here and there (in-room jacuzzi that fills at a trickle; bizarre beach towel system; minibar that doesn't really keep things cold, somewhat underequipped fitness center) but overall, you'd have to be an utterly spoiled and entitled to not enjoy your stay. The rooms were very nice and comfortable with great views and, usually, plenty of hot water. And we found the food to be very good -- with the exception of the tapas place. The Italian place was excellent as was the Mexican place. Spoons was great with the kids and the Caribbean place was good for a quieter breakfast or lunch. Le Chique was a fascinating culinary experience as well, and we knew ahead of time that it was a tasting menu and not a place to stuff yourself and prepared accordingly -- I'm not sure how that was so lost on all the people complaining that they went hungry. The pool, which winds its way through the facility, was always clean, the service at the swimup bars was top-notch (whether it was mojitios and cervezas for the grownups or virgin pina coladas for the kids) and the beach -- while it had its seaweed and rocky spots -- was certainly not the disaster some people are making it out to be. And the beach BBQ was a great lunch spot -- especially the day they had grilled whole fish.

I guess if you're looking for wild nightlife, this isn't really the place -- it's more of a family resort -- but we had a great time on the deck at Mojitos and at the bar near the adult pool in the evening. And for families with young kids, it was perfect. My kids loved the splash pad and the Kids Club -- where the staff was absolutely wonderful. We needed a babysitter for our 2-year-old daughter and my 2-year-old niece on three occasions: twice at the Kids Club and once at night in our room on New Years' Eve and never had trouble arranging one. And we could drop or 4-year-old off at the Kids Club anytime for no charge -- and he never wanted to leave.

My only lasting complaints would be that they seem to water down the drinks a bit. I probably consumed more alcoholic beverages that week than any week since I graduated from college in 1992, but I never really had any kind of buzz. And one morning it took a long time for the huts by the pools and beach to get new beach towels. And the gym isn't great. Three treadmills (two were out of service part of the time), two stationary bikes, a few weight machines (two were out of service) and a rack of dumbbells. It was adequate, but I'd expect more and newer cardio machines for such a new resort.
Otherwise, our stay was perfect. And the staff was fantastic. Minor things got resolved very quickly with a call or two to the front desk and a respectful tone.

As far as excursions, we arranged ours through Elias at the Lomas Travel desk off the lobby. My brother and I went on an afternoon trip to drive ATVs and speedboats at Playa Del Carmen and it was a real rush. And my sister, sister-in-law and stepmom and I went on a snorkeling trip one afternoon and it was stunning. I'd recommend it. I didn't do the spa thing, but my wife, sister and sister-in-law raved about it as the best spa experience they've ever had (and they've had a lot).

Finally, despite the stated no-tipping policy of all-inclusive resorts, I'd recommending tipping a buck or two to helpful waiters or bartenders and especially to tip the staff at the Kids Club. They work hard and deserve it -- a dollar or two makes a huge difference when they're making 8 bucks a day.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
7  Thank BostonWolverine
Reviewed January 10, 2010

My husband and 13 year old son and I chose this hotel after reading a couple of reviews on the Thompson website. All looked ok.

The weather was bad in the UK the morning of the 18th Dec when we made the short trip to Gatwick. We had stayed the night at The Holiday Inn (recommended). As a result of the heavy snow fall the previous night, we were delayed for almost 2 hours from taking off, as the runway had to be cleared of snow and the wings of the plane sprayed with de-icer continuously until the flight crew were given the go-ahead for take-off which was accomplished by the experienced Thompson's pilots without any problems whatsoever.

After the long arduous 9 and half hour flight to Cancun International Airport, we all had our hand luggage x-rayed again going through security, as apparently drugs are a big problem in Mexico, although not sure why flights from the UK are rigorously checked as at Gatwick we were subjected to stringent security measures.

We were met outside the airport by a friendly Mexican Thompson's rep and once she had ascertained what our name was and given us a Welcome Letter, guided us, along with three other families to an air conditioned coach. It was getting dark by this time but the male mexican guide on the coach was very friendly and offered everyone a drink of water or beer/coke/fruit cordial, although there was a $1 charge for this. He then gave us all some information about Mexico and in particular advised us against travelling in local taxis during our stay without prior agreement of a fare, as we would be "ripped off" (great!!!) . We later came to learn that most of the Mexican people will exploit any tourists if they can get away with it!!!

He also told us that we must all wear wrist bands when we got to our resort.

We arrived at the Azul Sensatori Hotel and upon arrival were whisked to a very modern marble reception area (minus our cases which we were informed would be taken by the bell-boy allocated to us to our room). As we walked into the Reception we were handed iced champagne and a very cold lemon cotton towel to refresh ourselves, which was lovely. Our 13 year old son was offered non-alcoholic fruit punch. We were immediately checked-in by a friendly mexican guy who explained that we did not in fact have to wear wrist bands at all - so the guide had given us the incorrect information in this case.
At this point we were asked if we wanted a key to the safe in our room, which we did. An inprint was taken of my husband's credit card and we were told that if we lost the key a fee would be imposed (we did not lose the key). We were also given 3 cards to enable us to obtain towels every day. We were also told that if we lost the towels a large fee would be charged (around $50)!!!!! We guarded those towels with our lives!!!! As we had been told by Thompson's that a request had been made on our booking for a partitioned room I asked the receptionist if in fact we had been allocated this room. He assured us that we had.

We were then taken to the building (3) and directed to the lifts. Our room was 2nd from the end - with a sideways seaview (next to a Honeymoon suite). On opening the door with our door card I immediately realised that the room was not partitioned at all and our 13 year old son would in fact be in a bed right next to us. We were not best pleased with this and I immediately phoned the reception who stated that there was nothing they could do. We would have to speak to the Thompson's rep in the morning!!!! As we were by this time too tired to argue and our son had promptly fallen asleep on his bed, we decided to get showered and changed and make our way to one of the restaurants. We then discovered that the shower door and the toilet door were made of thick frosted glass which was almost entirely transparent!!!! In addition both doors were not hung properly and as a result there was a large 2 inch gap round the edge which left nothing to the imagination when one of us was in the shower or going to the toilet. There was also a large frosted glass window on the side of the shower which was the wall of the lounge/bedroom area which mean't that any one of us would have a full view of the other when showering. No privacy here.

The next day after our meeting with the Mexican Thompson's rep (Edward) we took him to one side and asked him to see if he could explain why we had not been given the room we had requested. He checked our booking and then went to the reception and
after 10 minutes he returned informing us that unfortunately there were no partitioned rooms available for the period we required. I said that this was not good enough as we had been assured by the Thompsons booking agent that as long as we requested this room on our booking we would be allocated the room. He then went away again and when he came back he explained that he had come to an arrangement with the hotel that we could have a partitioned room on the basis that an additional charge would be made and we would have to vacate it by the 25th December (Christmas Day!!!!) We agreed to this although we were not at all pleased. We then moved all our belongings to the new room which was in Building 2 2nd floor overlooking the swimming pool (not much of a seaview here as we weren't high enough) The receptionist (a female mexican) informed us that she would try her best not to move us on the 25th December, as she said that there may be cancellations. We in fact were not moved but were charged an additional £104 for this room which had a large moveable partition down the middle, a double bed, jacuzzi and balcony doors with a Plasma television and modern brand new fridge (restocked daily) and a coffee maker at one end and a large sitting area comprising of a corner sofa unit (which could be turned into two beds) and another plasma tele at the other end, where our son slept. The bathroom area, which had two inset sinks and a walk-in shower and separate toilet was next to the corner sofa/sitting area. Again we had the see-thru frosted glass doors in this room. We later found out that the toilets in the main hotel area also had these doors, although the toilets near the beach did not.

All the restaurants provide very good food, but all of them expect tips. We found the Mexican one, Zocala very good. You can have breakfast, lunch (waitor service) or help yourself buffet) and dinner there. You can sit outside or inside (which is airconditioned) This is the one we used most. Spoon restaurant is the largest and is in the main hotel and provides a lovely buffet breakfast which caters for all tastes and is very family orientated.

There is a full kids programme - a separate kids only area (where parents can take their young children) complete with a small water chute and separate building (Azulitos kids club) where all types of activities go on all day.

Our son joined the teenage club (13 - 17 years) and after the first few days we hardly saw him, although in comparison with Beaches Turks and Caicos (where we went in August 2009) I would give Beaches 10 out of 10 marks and the Sensatori teen programme a cool 4 out of 10.

My husband enjoyed participating in the daily adult water polo which was organised by the hotel entertainment sports staff at around midday and was watched daily by many. The friendly matches were set up mostly between the USA and rest of the world. It was great fun.

All in all I would say that we enjoyed the holiday after sorting out the room etc. Each building had its own concierge which was situated near the lifts although we did not use this service much. The hotel has lovely landscaped gardens and a lovely sitting area with cushioned swings and two drinks machines, one for tea/cappuccino coffee and the other for iced drinks. These machines are kept clean and filled all day long. The public toilets in the hotel are kept spotlessly clean, and the beach area (white sand) is raked every morning to get rid of the seaweed. There is a Premium "adults only" part of the hotel which has "swim-up" suites which looked nice and we met some people who were staying there. The room sizes of these suites are actually no different to those in the family section where we were staying though. However much larger suites with hugh balconies could be booked for at least double the amount we paid for our room.

The beach has "cabanas" (curtained double sized water proof beds) which are brand new and also lots of the ordinary beach chairs/beds. The beach is private and no guests from other hotels are allowed on it. There is a reef and you can go snorkelling daily in the Flagged area. Other watersports can be arranged here.

A word of warning - when it rains there it is torrential. It rained the third day of our stay in the evening and as the hotel has insufficient roof drainage and the rain cascades from the top balcony downwards to other floors, our balcony and bedroom on the 2nd floor flooded (via water seeping under our balcony door). Luckily the floors are marble but we had to throw numerous towels on the floor to attempt to soak it up. We came back that evening to a river under our bed!!!!! We informed the hotel reception 3 times but they were inundated with complaints from other guests for the same reason. Some had to evacuate their rooms. In fact the rain eventually stopped in the early hours of the morning the following day and the sun returned and we did not see any more rain during our trip. Maintenance did come after the third complaint we made and mopped up although it was midday the next day when they arrived. I am led to understand that the hotel is attempting to alleviate these flooding problems.

The room service is included in the all-inclusive package, (we only used it twice) but lots of things aren't - like the Playstation and X-Box 360 games in the Teenage section (in the Thompsons write- up for this hotel, it states that these are included in the All -Inclusive price but in fact to play on these you have to pay an extra $10 for an hours gaming!!!!! Also internet access (which was in the main hotel) was an extra $6 for half hour or $10 an hour.

The excursions are best booked via the hotel (they are the best value we found) or via Thompsons. There are other companies within the hotel offering trips, but they in fact charge more as they have to pay a fee to the hotel to be there.

We visited Chitchen Itza (a good 3 hour journey there and back from our hotel) via a tour arranged by the hotel which is an ancient Mayan site complete with pyramid temples and very interesting architecture. This has been named the 7th Wonder of the World and pre-dates Christ (5,000BC). You are not allowed to touch the ruins any longer (since 2008) as it was being defaced by graffiti by tourists.

The deluxe tour was very well arranged and we had a bi-lingual Mayan guide (there are still Mayan descendants living there!!) It was a wonderful day and we were well looked after on the luxury coach and were fed and watered (pastries and coffee/tea, beer and soft drinks) all the way there and back. The coach also had toilets. We paid £195 for
the three of us (children over 12 are treated as adults on this trip) Other trips go by the height of the child!!

My husband also went on the deep sea fishing trip - without me, as I get extremely sea sick and apparently some people who went did get very sick - probably not a good idea for people who suffer with travel sickness. He caught a couple of Spanish Mackerel and enjoyed it though.

The daily temperature in December is around 28 - 30 degrees.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
7  Thank sallyh1
Reviewed January 9, 2010

This was our second time travelling to mexico, last time we stayed in central cancun so this year was a bit different. Firstly, rooms are amazing great big showers, two sinks, jacuzzi in room and views were also spectacular. Secondly, the food is some of the best ive ever had, it really did the hotels all inclusive gourmet justice, 5 stars for the food there was always something we liked, although the italian was always freezing cold so take a cardigan or something. The hotel was kept spotless for 8 days and on one occasion after a day of heavy rain the pool the next day was really dirty, but the hotel staff got it sorted out. The location was poor to say the least, the beach is not picturesque as described in the brochure lots of rocks and seaweed also red flag was up most of the time so you couldnt really swim in it. We heard there was a nicer beach ten minutes away but if you are ten minutes away and really needing a drink to cool down its not really feasible! The location was the only thing that brought this place down, because other than that it was amazing. Possibly for someone travelling in future though do keep in mind that there are excursions to cancun ran by some people at the front of the hotel they take you to la isla shopping mall and leave you for 4 hours to shop/dine etc so that is one way which you can get out of the hotel. The entertainment team were amazing, some of the best ive ever seen, they came in from londons west end to perform things like disney shows, dancing, I would reccomend this hotel to people who are going for total relaxation and not wanting to go out of the hotel at all, but even for people who would maybe want to go out of the hotel maybe once or go clubbing i wouldnt reccomend it just due to the location.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank amx
Reviewed January 9, 2010

Please don't go.

For a start the food here is awful - e.g. the world's cheapest orange juice, which is served by the gallon at breakfast..

Secondly the set-up is riddled with problems.... broken plumbing etc.

Thirdly, and worst of all, the attitude from the staff (especially the on-site management) would be laughable - if you weren't trying to have a nice time. Everything is someone else's fault, and they are sooo slow to fix anything (if they even try and do so). As an example, they had overbooked the rooms we had paid for, and simply downgraded us without even mentioning it. We spotted this but had to pull out a copy of the booking form to prove that we should be given a different room. Just to show this wasn't a one-off, we had friends staying in the same hotel and the exact same trick was tried on them...

I really could go on - suffice to say we sent a big letter of complaint and got 1/3 of our money back. Frankly, that was the least they could do. Avoid avoid avoid.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bezzers1
AzulSensatori, Sales Manager at Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2010

Dear Mr. & Mrs.

On Behalf of Azul Sensatori Hotel, I would like to express our gratitude to you for choosing our hotel and it was a great honor to be your hosts during your stay in Mexico.

We respect your opinions and we have taken your feedback very seriously. With these comments, we receive an indication of where our services excel and in which areas that we have opportunities for improvement.

We would like to express our most sincere apologies to you for not completely fulfilling your expectations.

It would be my distinct pleasure to welcome you back to the Azul Sensatori and we would feel much honored to be graced with your presence once again in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Azul Sensatori, By Karisma

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
#3 of 27 in Puerto Morelos
Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen
Azul Beach Resort The Fives Play...
#59 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#8 of 27 in Puerto Morelos
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun

Been to Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Mexico? Share your experiences!