“Family oriented resort, traveled there for a wedding.”

Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Mexico
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Denver
“Family oriented resort, traveled there for a wedding.”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We traveled there for a wedding in March 2013. Upon arrival late in the afternoon, our rooms were not ready. We were promised a set of blocked rooms; that did not happen. Our party of 31 people were spread all over the resort, separating even a handicapped person. We were told that a wheelchair would be available, NOT!!!! This cost an additional $80.00 U.S. dollars (cash only), and not available until the next day. We were told that this was the best they could do, even though these reservations were made 9 months prior. Food was served cafeteria style, reminded us of a college campus. Other than that, the rooms were nice, spacious, and clean. The small children enjoyed the pools. If we return to Mexico, we will stay at another resort. We have been to Mexico numerous times prior to this visit.

Room Tip: We don't know, we weren't given a choice due to the numerous screw ups.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,204)
New York
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Background Info: Married couple, 26 & 34, from NY. Past experiences in Mexico include Excellence Playa Mujeres, El Dorado Casitas, Ocean Coral & Turquesa & The Royal Cancun.

I originally booked this hotel, read the reviews, cancelled it, then rebooked. I am so incredibly happy I changed my mind. All the reviews about the hotel swarming with kids was a big turn off for us. On our visit, there really were NOT a lot of kids and they were never an annoyance for us.

We were I'm room 1117, premium section swim up. AMAZING room.

Food wasn't amazing, but wasn't terrible either. It was just as I had expected. I absolutely recommend the surf and turf from Zavaz. We paid the $110pp for Le Chique. It was different but would prob not do it again.

Some people that I feel need to be mentioned: Loraine at Concierge, always bent over backwards. Carlos & Jorge at the pool bar, fast and friendly. Luis at the Buffet. And Joana from house keeping. She kept our room spotless every day and made awesome towel art.

We had an amazing trip! Hotel was immaculately clean and modern, beds were comfy, staff was great. I can't even count how many times I heard 'its my pleasure'. Only suggestion, build a Hibachi restaurant. I would have loved to gone to one.

Last sentiment. I've seen numerous comments on here by people from the UK complaining about rowdy Americans who smoke too much and have tattoos. Not all Americans are that way. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

• Stayed April 2013
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed May 3, 2013

So yes the resort provided 2 high end amenities like a great resteraunt and room service, but I was oversold on the luxury component by my travel agent. I was also told that Azul pays very high commissions more so than any other resort in the same area - so take what your travel agent says with a grain of salt. My husband and I paid around $4,000 for the honeymoon suite - this hotel was not worth it. WE paid over 3500+ for our wedding package and ended up bringing our own decorations - the hotel is a rip off! The packages are condusive if you are doing a two person wedding. If you have a group of 10+ this is not for you. Save your money and go somewhere else. I was lucky I was the only wedding going on that day but I have seen wedding right next to each other happening at the same time. You might as well go to a palace resort with themes you can pick out which will end up saving you money. The company this hotel uses to set up the wedding component was ridiculously overpriced. They could not accomadate my wedding vision even though they assured me that they could make it happen. So if you are a simple white type of bride than this would be fine. If you are more like me who wanted martha stewart or palace resort wedding packages Azul Sensatori was not the place for you. The photographers have very amateur portfolios that were recommended by the resort/lomas. Thank god we hired someone else and paid for his flight and hotel. We paid extra for an MC who didn't do his job and played the wrong song as we walked in. You have to pay for an outside vendor fee if you have your own photographer and if he's only going to be there for the duration of the wedding - $800 was the vendor fee where most other resorts are $500. We were VIP but some of our guests were not and than I was told I had to tell my own guests to leave the VIP pool area when that shouldn't have been my job. Half my decorations didn't show up and so we had to rent some of it from the hotel. On my wedding day, while we were getting our photos taken the staff were hounding us for payments. AFter bringing 35 people to the wedding and spending close to $10,000 ourselves you would think they wouldn't feel the need to harrass us. The plastic keys - we had to go back 23 times in a span of one week as did the rest of our guests because the keys would stop working. Our honeymoon night my husband carried me all the way to the room and realized the key didn't work and had to spend 15 minutes getting new key while I waited outside our room. Way to kill the romance. The hotel put us in smoking room with cigarrette burn holes in the couch. I am allergic to smoke. I have turned my complaints into the hotel as I was hoping they would respond but nothing so I think it's only fair I tell fellow brides - do not get married at this place.

Room Tip: If you are a non-smoker ask to be put into a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ruby79_13
Sutton in Ashfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2013

This was our first visit to Mexico. So we wanted it to be that little extra special not only as first time visitors but it was also our honeymoon. From getting there everyone was greeted with champagne and a cold towel there was no messing about with check in we were given keys to the room and keys to the room safe and our luggage taken straight to the room. The whole week was one of the best holiday experiences we have had the staff were there at every little whim, from drinks, food, and regularly approached to see if there was any thing they could do for us at all. then we would only have to ask. Although we only ate at the spoon restaurant all week as it gave you such a large selection of choice we were told by other guests that the other restaurants were also fantastic, each day there is a BBQ on the beach if you just fancy a burger or hotdog. Entertainment in the evening starts around 8 till 9 for the kids then 9 till 10 for the adults. Only criticism would be the hotel shop was a little expensive. But because of he holiday we had at the sensatori Mexico we will be looking to return next year. Couldn't fault it !!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cazabri
Novia Scotia
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We just got back from the Azul Sensatori on the 28th of April, there were 3 couples ranging from early 30s to 60s and we all had an absolutely wonderful time. I could not fault this hotel, the food and service were second, in my opinion only to the Royal Playa del Carmen. my husband and I travel 2 or 3 times a year and this is definitely one of our best. We were upgraded to an ocean view Jacuzzi suite in building 4 which was beautiful, lots of room and everything we could wish for. Breakfast at Spoon buffet was amazing, wonderful home made breads, cereals and pastries plus all the cooked food you could ever want. Alex our waiter had 6 piping hot cappachino's waiting for us every morning, and went out of his way to fulfill our every need. Lunch on the beach was awesome, some of the very best seafood paella and BBQ chicken and ribs I have ever tasted. We visited all the a la carte restaurants and each one was better than the last. a big shout out to Andy (Garcia)..lol in the Italian restaurant, he catered to our every need and more, presenting us on our last night with a special plate of desserts with a special message on the plate and incredible chocolate martinis!!. The high spot of the trip was the visit to la Chique.... don't miss this experience it is amazing!! It starts off strange and you wonder what you are going to eat, but as this whole experience continues it gets better and better finishing with the most amazing "chocolate flower pot " and "mini sweets'.....really don't miss it you wont be disappointed!!
If you are thinking this hotel is "off the track" a little, it is only 10 mins to Puerto Morelos, a quaint fishing village with nice shops and a great bar serving huge margaritas right on the beach. Entertainment was great with something different each night, great premium drinks and wonderful music at Mojitos lounge every night. No problems getting beds around the pool and the waiter service was an extra plus, if you are thinking of going to this hotel, I really cannot imagine anyone being disappointed unless you are extremely hard to please....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank scotpapa13
Airdrie, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We used a travel agent to book this vacation. I believe that we were quite clear when we stated that we were traveling with a younger, single friend, and therefore nightlife was an important factor when choosing a resort. The agent very highly recommended this resort and was so convincing that we eagerly accepted the advice.

We had very high hopes at check in. The resort is beautiful. Our travel agent noted that my husband and I were on our honeymoon so the check in clerk upgraded us to a premium room. WE VERY CLEARLY STATED that we were traveling with a friend and did not want the upgrade if it meant we would be separated. (He was staying in a “Luxury Ocean View” room.) We were assured that he would be free to come visit us in the premium section and we could share the facilities. Later we discovered that this is completely against the rules and we were reprimanded every time we met with our friend - even to the point of harassment.

While the resort is beautiful and has some features that places it above other Mexican resorts (several pools, a la carte restaurants, large rooms, higher class profile, very relaxing atmosphere and no wrist bands), it should never be recommended to anyone except people traveling with young children or senior citizens. After the nightly entertainment ended at 10:00 soothing saxophone music ushered people to their rooms and night security came out to ensure that everyone stayed there. My friend went for a walk by himself at 1:00 am and a security guard actually came and requested that he go back to bed! The same friend came to visit us at our room and stayed until late at night and security came to our door and told us that we weren’t allowed to have 3 people in our room. (a little confusing since we booked and paid for 2 rooms and the internet says maximum 3 adults per room!)

By the end of this experience we had become paranoid and terrified of making any wrong moves. We spent most of our time trying to break our friend of his negative mood as he referred to the resort as a prison. We ended up spending most of our time off resort, making for a very expensive vacation as most of our meals, beverages, and entertainment were bought off site. Since it is a 45 minute taxi ride to the nearest town, we easily spent $500 in cab fares alone.

Even beyond the social stresses of the resort we were disappointed in other ways. The main reason I wanted to choose this resort was because of the in-room Jacuzzis. (Very romantic for our honeymoon, I thought.) The jacuzzi did not work. We had it repaired and it worked once and broke again. The same thing happened with our telephone. Repair men were in our room almost as often as we were. Furthermore, the beach was treacherous with large rocks in the water after 25 feet. You need to go further than 25 feet if you want the water above your knees. I ventured out a couple of times and ended up seriously bruised all over my legs. We ended up walking up the shoreline to the neighbouring resorts, hoping that no one would notice as we swam in their rock-free water and and tanned on their white sand beaches which were more like icing sugar than the course, gritty sand at Sensitori. I was also very confused as to why our friend's “luxury ocean view room” did not actually have a view of the ocean.

I have to say, I have traveled extensively and this is the first time I have ever been made to feel like an intruder! I have paid HALF as much for Mexican resorts which were almost as nice (in some ways nicer- better food!) and much, much more welcoming. We came home feeling stressed, ill-favoured, and ended up spending more than double for what should have been an all inclusive vacation.

Room Tip: Premium rooms and “luxury ocean rooms” are exactly the same. Neither actually have a view of the oce...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Cecilia L
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My best friend was married at the Azul Sensatori resort this month. The grounds were beautiful and very well maintained. The rooms were large, updated and really comfortable. The service was outstanding, which is not typical for an all inclusive resort. I stayed in a swim up room, which was really cool. If the weather was nicer during our stay, I would have loved to have used that feature to access the pool directly from my patio.
The Mojito Lounge was where our group spent most of our evenings, it was quaint, the music was fun and the mojitos were tasty. The BBQ on the beach was cool and the food was good. The other restaurants were just okay... food was not great and they were not that accommodating for our large group. We weren't able to eat together at all - even when the restaurants were empty. We couldn't understand why they wouldn't slide tables together for us. All in all, the resort was fun and reasonably priced. It was rainy and cloudy every day that we were there but that was no one's fault but Mother Nature! The wedding ceremony on the beach was gorgeous and the reception was perfect on the grounds by the pool. I hope to go back again and enjoy the sun on the beach!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Mexico? Share your experiences!