This was our first vacation with our 18 month boy.
We went from March 11th to 18th with the grandparents.
The hotel was only 20 min away from the airport. Perfect duration for our hyperactive boy.
Reception was warm with efficient butlers for your luggage and a warm wet cloth to swipe away the sweat and grease from the airplane/shuttle trip.
We booked a Family Suite (has a frosted glass divider between the living room and bedroom that provides a nice cozy space for toddler to nap and sleep) and on the ground floor (very convinient : the family pool was only 10 feet away from the patio door!). At the check-in though, we were given a 4th floor Oceanview Family Suite. Even though the terrace and the view were great, we always had to use the elevator to get to the room. Moreover, if our boy was napping in our bedroom, we couldn't access the terrance. If he was napping in the living room, we couldn't access the exit door. We asked to change floor (Oceanview is more expensive than Ground Floor) and were granted the change the next day due to inavailability the first day. The Ground Floor suites are really a blessing. Every afternoon, during his nap, we were lounging in the terrace with the baby monitor on. I rented Wi-Fi for a week (50$) and was able to work/surf while the waiter brought us drinks. If it was getting to hot, we could dip at the family pool all inside the monitor's range.
The resort grounds are splendid. I'm always wary of the website photos because they always feel embellished, but believe me : what you see on the website is real. On a nice sunny day, the resort is spotless, bright ant lucious. There is shade everywhere, the trails are clean and the pools are beautiful.
I feel like i'm digressing, so let's go with a simple listing of pros and cons
- Perfect resort size : very small so all the distances are short (3 min walk from one side to the orther) but you never feel cramped up. There were always chairs free along side the pools. The beach was only 2 min away from our room and we were in the farthest building.
- So clean that I had no fear going for No 2 in the public toilets (they were as clean as our room toilet)
- Beach BBQ (very convienient when spending time at the beach). Hot dogs, hamburgers, grilled meat, ribs...hmmm
- Best food ever eaten in an all-inclusive especially for breakfast.
Buffet (Spoon) : A lot of variety that keeps changing every day. The interactive cooking stations were also very fresh and delicious (teppenyaki, sushi and sashimi, belgian crepe, pasta bar, grill).
Italian was delicious (beef carpacio and osso bucco were highlights), the Carabbean was very solid (tuna sashimi, fried calamari and the lunch burgers were superb) and the Tapas restaurant was refined and tasteful. And no reservations! (except for Le Chique)
- Great self-serve central plaza with a ice cream machine (more like a frosted milk machine, but when it's hot, it's still good), soft drink machine and coffee machine. Had my espresso twice a day there (it's not a barista quality, but it was surprisingly fast (5 seconds) and tasteful).
- Ground floor Family suite (look above)
- The resort is very,very kid friendly. High chairs, toys and crayons in every resturant (except Le Chique). The staff is very comfortable with toddler crisis situations (they try to make them laugh, bring toys, bring food faster). There is a toy lending program so that you can borrow a toy from the kids club to your room. The kids club is a kid's dream (gym with ball pool, slides, climbing wall, Fisher-price toy room, doll room, video game room, Lego Room, nap room, etc...)
- 24h room service. Wanted breakfast at 6AM (because of time zone effect), but buffet wasn't open yet. Had a continental breakfast in our terrace that morning watching the ocean ;D.
- Room maids were doing rounds from 9 AM till 9 PM. So if you missed the first round in the morning or if your toddler sleeps in the afternoon, they usually pass around supper time when you're at the restaurant.
- I don't know if it was the unusually mild weather we had that week, but I only had 1 mosquito bite all vacation.
- The rooms were not humid and didn't have that mold smell that we had in Cuba or Dominican Republic.
- All the rooms entrances were away from the pools or ocean, so that all the terraces were facing the pools or ocean.
- Beach towels system is worry free (don't need a card or a towel to exchange old towels)
- The pools were great. A lot of family pools had a shallow section for toddlers to walk or waddle. The family pools were all linked together, so a swimmer could theoretically have 200 m of non-stop swimming.
Minor quibles :
- The beach had a lot of seaweed and not very swimmable. But it's still very enjoyable (unlike all the reviews before blasting the beach) You can walk for at least 10-15 minutes on each side. I'd say it's a 3.5 / 5 star beach.
- The service is not perfect. They seem genuine to help you, but there were a couple of times where the request did not make it through or was erroneous (1% milk instead of whole milk, delays in high chairs installments, delays in room service delivery).
- Don't expect instant room service. Usually they had a 30-60 min delay.
- The adults section (where the grandparents slept) had sometimes a sewage smell at the door entrance (but not on the terrace side). And they always had a engine noise coming from a generator or something.
- In the family and Azul section, you could hear the 8 to 930 PM entertainement even with the door closed. We had no trouble sleeping because we were pooped, but some light sleepers might have trouble.
- The personal concierge service is very friendly (beach towels, toy lending, problem solving), but they always try to sell you a repeater's program or a time-share)
- Some resort trails and bridges can be very slippery when raining.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Featuring the renowned Gourmet Inclusive(R) concept by Karisma, the Azul Sensatori Mexico Hotel brings together spacious facilities with unlimited activities and services. Azul Sensatori Mexico is designed to allow couples, groups, wedding parties, families and friends from all generations to re-connect under the sun. The 435 spacious and luxurious suites are tastefully designed in contemporary Caribbean style with dark wood accents and canopy beds. These suites are located in four story buildings with an elevator in each building. Views are either pool, garden, ocean or ocean front. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone and TripOnline SA so you can book your Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Mexico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Azul Sensatori Hotel, By Karisma Hotel Puerto Morelos
- Azul Sensatori By Karisma Hotel
- Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Mexico Riviera Maya - Puerto Morelos