“Some people just CANNOT be pleased!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Mexico
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
chicago il
“Some people just CANNOT be pleased!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

We arrived on Dec 30 and left Jan 6. We were there for OUR wedding which took place on Jan 3. I cannot stress enough how good of a time we had. We traveled with 18 people total and two of them were young children. People have been complaining about the buffet food but obviously they have not been to really horrible buffet before. We have traveled to the Domincan Republic and Cancun before and at those resorts the food was so horrible that we ate bread for the 7 days we were there. This resort has food for everyone. The only restaurant that we didn't eat at was Zavas for dinner. Le Chique is definitely an experience worth trying, you most likely will not have that opportunity elsewhere. The staff was fantastic everywhere we went. Nancy on the beach made the best frozen coffee drinks and she was so eager to please all of us. Yes the ocean is rocky and the pools are a little chilly. You can walk down the beach in either direction and find great swimming and it keeps you up and moving. I loved this resort so much and the wedding that they provided for us was exceptional. We had a private dinner at the Spoon restaurant for our wedding and the staff was phenomenal and the food was some of the best I have had. Thank you so much to Azul for everything you all did!

Room Tip: We stayed in Building #1 with part of our group which is premium and we had guests stay in Building...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank eva c

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,069)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

The only good thing about this resort is a room. It is spacious and sunny.
The food is horrible. We spend two weeks in that resort and the food in cafeteria never changed. The other restaurants were even worse and the ZAVAZ was just horrible. Even the airplane food is much better .
The other thing, there is no use of the ocean. It is dirty and the bottom is rocky. There is no shade or anything on the beach and if you want a cabana you have to pay $20 a day.
If you forgot something at home, you would pay through your nose, like toothpaste $15.00.
I would never recommend to go to that resort

Room Tip: do not go there
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank Valerie L
Wigan, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

AZULSensatori - Mexican for OMG
Food buffet not enough choice and what there is is poor.
Towel exchange cards desperately needed, people just leave towels all day if using loungers or not. Pool beds being reserved at 6am and earlier British people included, swim up is at least better in this respect with having own beds, on the down side you have a constant parade of people stepping over you accessing there rooms without using the front doors.
Soft tyres on staff hand carts would be a small investment, hard plastic on crazy paving !!! Like thunder just when you are dropping off through hunger.
One coffee machine near main pool as coffee not available at the pool bars, paper cups with sludge! better coffee on M6 services.
Dizzy reps - at the meeting everything is fantastic !! where were these girls trained ? More "Prada darling" than practical AB FAB comes to mind or Maplins Hi De Hi ! Send them to a proper resort to learn PLEASE.
Buffet restaurant - only all inclusive holiday where you will loose weight, not a chip insight, mashed potato like 70's Smash with the texture of Polycell Paste, never been any part of a spud !
Mexican restaurant just be thankful it's quite dark, beef, chicken or fish who knows ?
11hrs and a considerable amount of £s for as someone aptly described on Trip as the Mexican Fawlty Towers.
And can anyone tell me where the volume switch on a Canadian is ??
Any iberostar in Dom rep knocks the Azul into youth hostel grade that's probably unfair on YHA, whoever gave this place 5 stars needs to visit some proper 5 star Caribbean hotels.
Do feel sorry for local staff who are very pleasant and happy all the time and probably think this place is Excellente!! (one more time of hearing this and I would have jumped).
Wi-Fi at 90 dollars for 14 days or 10 dollars a day WHY ??
New Year's Eve 2012 wow NOT ! Had better service and food 1976 Butlins, Skegness.
If you have already booked remember to get some Vodka etc from home, if you start drinking beer etc around 10am (I am on holidays) and finish around midnight you will pass any sobriety test in the world, unless you are from Canadia and you (you know who you are) will be mortal drunk and off the Richter scale loud by lunch Whoop de Wooo.
Over the past 6 years we have used Thomson each year for winter, spring and summer breaks but that's it we will be finding another operator from now on.
Take the discount bus to Cancun, well worth it even if you just get a good feed.
The Sensatori reps of which we believe there were three must have been very busy as other than the welcome meeting "everything is fabulous darling" were not seen all 14 days, even when one chap collapsed in the bar (not through drink) I as a nurse attended along with the life guard you couldn't find them on radar, in fairness the hotel people took him to hospital and made sure he was comfortable etc prior to discharge.
Mexico and Mexicans are truly lovely just a shame about the rest.

Room Tip: You must have a swim up room, don't bother with Premier section as they still need to use the aw...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank ALISON N
Milton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

The Azul Sensatori Hotel is an well run resort with a dedicated and friendly staff. The best way to describe their pride in keeping the resort in tip top shape is that of an apple constantly being polished: rooms being made up twice daily; crews quietly pruning and cutting the grounds; routine maintenance, however minor, dealt with immediately but unobtrusively.

The ratio of staff to guests is almost one to one. Several of the staff made my stay feel special. At the Spoon Restaurant my favourite waiter was super Mario, who usually had a fresh beer at my table before I even thought to ask for another. He always seemed delighted to see me and I certainly was delighted to see him.

I was charmed beyond belief Marcella, one of the concierges, who was always amused that I took so many pictures. When I was checking out she made a point of coming over to see me and welcoming me back for a future visit. Very flattering and not fake either.

There were many things Azul had to offer and, although I didn't take advantage of everything, I certainly felt satisfied doing what I wanted when I wanted to do it. On a daily basis I would walk the grounds several times taking pictures, work out in the gym, eat at one or several restaurants, sit in a large shady hut with a cappuccino and a book, or do swim-up bar hopping (they have three of them)! On my last full day I took a taxi to the nearby village of Puerto Morelos to site see and shop.

The Cancun of Mexico is relatively safe. The resort itself has two security checkpoints vehicles must go through and security is low key but there if necessary.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for such a pleasant stay!

Room Tip: I stayed in two different rooms close to the beach that were identical but with different views, bot...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Grant R
St. Albert, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

Everyone has their own idea of a great holiday but for our family of 9, it was perfect. The staff went out of their way, food was good, facilities excellent, Great for children (we had a party from ages 7 months, 18 months, 12 years , to adult). We found that quite a few people were extremely rude to staff ( unacceptable in my opinion).
Our rooms were not tired, they were large , clean and modern.
The babies had cribs , change table, monitors, sterilizers, as much baby food as wanted. room service was great.
A smile goes a long way, and it was not hard to pass these along. We were there from Dec22 to Jan5th.
There was plenty of selection in the buffet. I have been to bigger buffets but found that they went out of their way to please. If you went away from any place hungry , That was your own fault , as you could always ask for more.
The staff worked endlessly and someone commented , here ,that there was just one bartender at swim up bars. Must have been in a different resort , than us, because this was not the case. I guess we realized , we were not the only people at the resort and did not expect our drinks , the second we ordered them. Our food was never cold and they went out of their way for our grandchildren.

Overall it was great family experience and I would not hesitate to recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Building 3 was good and we had an ocean view , It was centrally located, with direct access to beach...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
12 Thank Beverely F
Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

We arrived on Christmas day as a group of twelve with two children aged under two years. I will try to give a balanced view based on our two week stay, most of the american and canadian couples only have short stays.

I have to say I was slightly disappointed with some aspects of the hotel but pleased with others so I will break down my review into sections.

Staff - Are all wonderfully helpful, the waiters and bar staff were pleasant and friendly at all times. However there just isn't enough of them in the correct roles I will explain more in different areas later but one theme is that each bar only has one barman to serve drinks which left long delays, but there seemed to be hundreds of groundsman and maintenance men in the day cutting the grass it seemed like the personal service suffered because of this and the management were more concerned with the hotel appearance.

Food/Restaurants - I have to say this is the main area of disappointment the hotel describes itself as 'Gourmet' which I will be as bold as to say is a complete lie! Spoons the buffet restaurant is probably one of the worst all inclusive buffets I have visited I have been to 3* hotels with better there was no variation or theme nights the food was the same over and over. There are three cooking stations for pasta, grilled meat and stir fry .... with only two chefs to tend to them and a hot carvery which lead to more delays another example of under staffing. We ate in all of the specialty restaurants after struggling to get a table as they did not have the chefs to accommodate large tables and orders at once. We were not wowed by any of them the food often arrived cold and had been stood on a hot plate whilst the two chefs prepared the meals.... another example of under staffing! We visited Le Chique the restaurant is only interested in selling you additional wine, the food is well presented and an experience but I found it rather tasteless. We were left feeling slightly second class as we refused to buy over priced wine, we felt our service was slightly rushed.

Rooms - Our suite was fantastic with a large Jacuzzi bath and rainfall shower, the blocks are quite noisy though as they are tiled throughout. We had a Sea view I would agree the balcony is not sea facing but there is a view!

Pools - Excellent pools with lots of sun loungers, staff worked every morning to keep them really clean. We didn't bother with the adults only pool as we had children so cannot pass comment.

Childrens center and pool - fantastic facility was great for the children and they loved it we didn't use the children's club but went in to play there are plenty of staff and the facility's are safe was very impressed with this.

Personal Concierge service - I'm afraid there is no such thing the 'concierges' are nothing more than a sales team who want £12000 of you cash to give you 150 weeks worth of discounted holidays. If you're not interested or don't appear to have the financial means to sell you this deal... they're not interested in you!

Beach and Sea - I have to say the beach and sanded area are very nice and in my opinion the sea weed is not a problem, there's not that much of it and the staff work tirelessly to clean it up. There are plenty of sun beds you do need to be up early to get a cabana but they are worth it. There are plenty of activity's to do and the beach BBQ was probably one of the better dining experiences we had. In my opinion it is not possible to swim in the sea a few meters out its very rocky and sharp, and it was full of plastic and rubbish never mind sea weed! The hotel does offer a free bus to a better beach 25 minutes away.

I have based my review on other similar all inclusive resorts we have been too which sell themselves as 5 star on the sales of Thomson and the brochure write up we thought the Azul was going to blow them all away.. it didn't. We enjoyed or stay but were disappointed with some elements of the resort mainly the food and restaurants having been sold a 'gourmet' holiday experience!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank EnglishLen
Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

Travelled with Thomsons, not the best of flights food was very poor, purchased drinks were only available twice in 11hrs told to buy what we needed at first service, yes they no longer operate the free drinks!, refused a second coffee during our meal, not a quality service by far, can't say i'd use them again on long haul.

Firstly the rooms are big, we had two doubles, others 4 posters and settees, and yes you could say they look a little tired and dated but in general are well maintained and always very well cleaned.

The staff, by that I mean the maids/waitresses and waiters are very good, always helpful and with a smile, even if a little miss managed, in restaurants they are often over stretched serving to many tables causing delays between courses and cold food.

Drinks are served around the pool in plastic glasses, unfortunately this was also the case in some of the bars! We challenged the bar staff on this and was told they had been instructed to do this.

The beach and sea is as people have said, not good although the hotel try and clean the beach several times a day, the sea is the worst thing often dirty with lots of plastic and rubbish floating around.

There are several pools, yes they are cold but you need them to cool off again they are cleaned daily.

Bars serve local and some international drinks, the beers not good and the house wine even worse, obviously you can upgrade and pay extra the cheapest bottle for around $35.

For me the real let down was the food, its not Gourmet or Al a carte, yes they have themed restaurants who serve different dishes sadly mostly of these are cold.

There is a theme through out the complex that you can upgrade to premium, but when you’ve already paid what would take you too many luxurious 5* resorts in the Caribbean why should you.

The Spa looks OK but expensive, we did use the Gym quiet often, and againthis needs updating.

Comparing to Sharm and Crete it’s a poor 3rd and we would not go back.

Room Tip: Block 3 south facing for better sun Dont book a swim up Higher floors have better views
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ocean Coral & Turquesa
#13 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.0 of 5 bubbles 10,893 reviews

Been to Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Mexico? Share your experiences!