“wow what a holiday”

Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Mexico
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 3, 2012

All i can say is that is was fanstatic, staff treat you like royalty nothing is to difficult for them.
The rooms were very clean the beds were really comfortable.
The restaurants were very clean the food was tasty and lots of it the only thing was sometimes the food wasn't very hot !
Entertainment day and night was excellent too.
Thomson Rep 'Sue ' was excellent very helpful and knowlegable about area.
Will recomend to everyone we had such a lovely time we didn't want to come home!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank AmylouiseEssex
There are newer reviews for Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Mexico

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Just got back from Azul Sensatori for our Honeymoon.

Firstly the staffs are the biggest asset this hotel has, they are truly outstanding.

Hopefully this report will be seen as a true report of The Good, The Bad and the Ugly!!

We arrived on the 18th and had some issues with our room but the staff bent over backwards to sort this out and did so.

We have also visited the Sensatori in Tenerife so will provide some comparisons.

All Inclusive - Outstanding, can't fault them. Drinks just keep flowing. Never have to wait and in fact they keep offering them, the pool / beach butlers just keep coming back to see if we want more....

RESTAURANTS - We were told but other couples who had been before that previously the choice of food was better. We are just reporting our experiences.

SPOON – Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner / Midnight - The staff here are great. The selection of food is OK not nearly as good as Tenerife Sensatori but the staff make up for this. They try and teach you Spanish here, so expect to be educated, it’s fun. One day I said I wanted to sample authentic Mexican food, so the Matradee (Susanna) had a word with one of the chefs and the next night I had several dishes served to me at my table, it was great and I even had my own personal waiter who explained what every dish was.

TAPAZ- Evenings – only. Really good food here, no menu to select from, they will serve you each dish and explain what it is. If you don’t like seafood for example, they will replace yours with an alternative, just tell them when you arrive. The menu is published outside the restaurant and changes every two days.

Zocalo – Mexican - Evenings only. We tried this restaurant twice, the menu is limited and selection is not great. You won’t find any UK standard Mexican dishes like Fajita’s I’m afraid.

Le Chique – Evenings Only. We booked this for our 2nd night and thought we would be hungry after a couple of courses, no chance. By the 4th or 5th course we were stuffed and really struggling. I purchased the matching wine for $55 extra. You get 6 full glasses of wine to match the courses, it was way too much for me and I can drink a bottle on my own with no problem. Perhaps it was jet lag but consider this when ordering. If you upgrade to 14 courses ($110 per person) you get wine included and sit in the wine room.

Zavaz Caribbean – Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner Lunch this is the Gourmet Burger Bar, the Burgers are good but what lets this restaurant down is the service. Dinner – really good food but again service lets it down. Breakfast, ok selection but again service issues. We were disappointed with the attitude of staff in this restaurant, the food was good, selection was limited but we did eat here 4 or 5 times over the two weeks.

Sienna – Italian Dinner only – Food is good but choice is limited, service was good.

ROOM SERVICE – Honeymoon breakfast, if you have just got married take your wedding certificate, this is truly amazing. Basic Room Service disappointing, wrong items delivered, slow delivery. We experienced room service on 4 occasions.

BARS – Plenty of choice 8 in total, we liked the swim up bars and you could have as much of anything you wanted.

ACCOMADATION / HOTEL STANDARDS – The hotel is not as luxurious as Tenerife Sensatori but it is good. The rooms are big but you may find you have issues that need addressing, go to reception and tell them, they will bend over backwards to help you and will move you if they can. We booked a Junior Suite with Sea View, we upgraded to the Honeymoon suite in the end for a better view and the Premium facilities. The Swim up rooms have no privacy and despite the fact that you are not meant to walk along passed other peoples rooms some people do this which is poor design.

POOLS / BEACH – Pools are good, we stayed most of the time on the beach and around the Premium pool. Seaweed is a problem here and it does detract from swimming in the sea. The hotel staff work like Trojans to keep the beach clean and tidy. You would not find anyone in the UK that would do this job; it is sole destroying, as fast as they clear the seaweed it comes again. Pool cleaning staff almost lives in the water, he has his snorkel mast and can be seen cleaning the pools almost nonstop.

WALKS – You can walk along the beach both to the left and right. Go to the left and you can walk for miles but you will need to pass Desire, the nudist beach. This is not a problem, just keep walking. By going right, you can walk for miles as well but you will need to pass an obstacle to proceed after about 500 yards. There is a house with a wall that proceeds into the sea, when it’s windy (most of the time) the waves crash up against this wall and I have seen many people turn away as they are put off by trying to pass it as the waves crash against the wall and then bounce back violently. Don’t be put off by this, just walk slowly into the water but about 4 or 5 feet away from the wall and you will find the depth is quite shallow as the sand bank rises. Just keep away from the wall and hold up anything you don’t want to get wet. Once passed this the walk is straight forward and after about a mile you will get some glorious beaches with nice hotels. There is no where to get a drink however so take water with you. If you are prepared to walk all the way to Puerto Morelos (it took us about 2 hours) you will find a nice fishing village to explore. Taxi back costs £10.00

SALES PITCH – We got conned into attending one of these by the one of the Premier Concierge team. Oliver approached us saying he was aware we had had some issues and he wanted to see if they could do something to compensate us (not his words but you get the drift I’m sure). He stringed us along for a couple of days when we found out it was to attend a Sales presentation for 90 minutes and in exchange they would offer us either a romantic couples massage or dinner on the beach. Ok we went along with it, 2 hours later we escaped collected our voucher and booked our massage. You get 30 minutes back massage either on the beach or inside. We went for inside as the beach is too public. We upgraded to 1 hour for $30 each full body massage (you have to haggle). Needles to say we said no to paying £5,500 for the opportunity to invest in Prestige Travel. Do your own research before you go, trying to research from the hotel using their wifi will result in page can’t be displayed to scam reports....

PREMIER SECTION – This is nice if you can afford it, check in is better, you have a concierge at your beck and call from 7:00am to 23:00 every day. You can choose what type of pillow you like, the smell in your room, the soap for your Jacuzzi. Unlimited WIFI, as many devices as you want, free DVD;s – we never bothered with this however. Plenty of films in English with Spanish subtitles on the TV, Pool butler and snacks, cold flannels, sun cream and the ability to book sun beds and Cabanas either around the pool or on the beach. We never had an issue booking any of these but you need to be up at 7am to do so.

ENTERTAINMENT – Here Sensatori Tenerife winds hands down, there is no comparison. The entertainment team do a good job, a bit too much like Butlins at times (are you ready, I can’t hear you) but if you have experienced Tenerife Sensatori you will be disappointed. Plenty of daytime activity on the beach and around the pool.

VIP LOUNGES – As it was our honeymoon we booked the VIP lounge at Gatwick, this was great and well worth it, on the way home we booked via Thomson the VIP lounge at Cancun Airport. This was very poor, poor food, very small, very hot. Next door to the Thomson VIP lounge there is one that is quiet, air conditioned and costs the same.

PREMIER CHECK IN & FLIGHT – If you can afford it or get a good price its well worth it but be aware there is no guarantee you will sit together by booking this, we did not. We were in front / behind going out and next to each other coming back. Thomson were selling upgrades for the return journey 2 for $159.00

WEDDINGS – We saw a few, so feel free to ask any questions but we can only offer our opinion based on what we saw not what we experienced.

SUMMARY – We had a great holiday but are unlikely to go back as there are other destinations we would want to explore, the staff are fantastic. Feel free to ask questions, I will be more than happy to answer questions.

Did not do any Thomson Excursions but did go to Cancun on the Shuttle bus and would recomend this.

Room Tip: Swim up rooms don't offer much privacy, watch out for the sales pitch.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I came here for a wedding this week and my brand new phone and my roommates camera were stolen. My phone was in my purse and her camera was on the dresser. While we had a safety deposit box, we both figured a 5 star resort would not have people that would blatently go in my purse and steal from me. Ruined my vacation, I am so upset.....horrible experience - totally do not recommend this place at all. And if you do decide to come here....put everything in the safe....EVERYTHING.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank 285MichelleK
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I am currently on holiday at sensatori with my husband and 16 month old daughter, the hotel is so not geared up for family's especially with small children. We have struggled to go anywhere in the evening with are daughter as the roof top garden is as it says roof top which has about 50 steps to the bottom which you will have probably seen on peoples pictures one false move and it could turn really nasty after the kids show finishes at 9 it turns into a really load area which I personally would not sit there with my daughter as if she was asleep would definitely wake her so as my family are traveling with a young child we an only the sit in the lobby and have a drink!! There is another bar at the Mexican which caters for family again this has a flight of stairs so you wouldn't feel safe just lettingyournchild have a play and this bar since we have been here has been closed for 3 evenings due to weddings we we as a family have no where where we can have a drink, we then thought we would have a drink in our room as are daughter is normally asleep for 9 we were then told if we wanted a glass of wine in our room it would cost $45 for the bottle as none of the alcoholic drinks were included in the room service we were really disappointed as the brochure (thomsons) doesn't actually state this, we do go and see the Thomson rep who I must say was very patronizing and so not helpful and had the worst attitude for someone who is in customer services.
The hotel is very clean and the staff are fantastic we found that some of the restaurant staff didn't seem very helpful as we had a young child where as other restaurant staff were fantastic.
We have been to many 5 star hotels in cancan and riviera maya like the moon palace, excellence and le blanc all have been amazing and true 5 stars I can honestly say this hotel is definitely not a 5 star and I wouldn't class the food as 5 star quality either my holiday was definitely not worth the money that's paid to come here.
The Thomson flight was awful to we upgraded to premium well In advance and they did not cater for children my daughter had no meal when I asked if I could buy something for her to eat there was nothing apart from Pringles unfortunately I didnt buy a sandwich in Manchester airport as I thought being on a 10 and a half hour flight there must been some sort of food to purchase as I'm sure other travellers may get hungry also, so I'm not looking forward to the flight home I will definitely be stocking up I'm cancan airport.
The pools are lovely the kids pool has been quite dirty full of sand and grit so we tend to let are daughter walk in the splash area then we take her in the big pool which she loves.
House keeping are amazing they do such a good job of cleaning and maintaining your room
Room service has a good rangeof food but always comes cold :( but not as cold in the day as it is at night time.
The shop is mega expensive really expensive like £8 for Pringles but if you fancy little snacks it's either pay the shop prices or stock up when in cancun or playa del carmen.
Before I end my review make sure to bring bite sticks etc as so many people are getting bit my husband for one they are not mosi bites but some form of biting bug like midges
I hope this review will help when people are looking at this hotel especially if traveling with under 4s if your children are over this age you can leave them in kids club
I will say the play house is amazing for kids especially the fisherprice room and the dolls room which my daughter was in her element

Stayed: September 2012
5  Thank Hanhart
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We and three other couples stayed Sept 21-28.
We had a great time, and the food is excellent at most of the restaurants. The alcohol flows freely regardless of your request.
The rooms are nice and the beds comfy, and cleaned everyday.
The staff really try hard to make your visit the best, some things are out of their control. The beach is nasty with seaweed, they do try very hard every day to clean with no success. The sand flees at the beach were really bad during our time there. Again these things are out of staffs control.
The entertainment staff work from morning till night trying to get you involved. Tequila tasting, cooking classes, salsa classes, beach volleyball, so much to take in.
It was a great vacation.

Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here from 9/15-9/21 as a planned vacation just for some R & R. We had been looking foward to the trip for months and it did not dissapoint, for the most part anyway. We loved all the resteraunts except for the Mexican (irony), but even then it had reedeming qualities such as good drinks and the soup was excellent. The italian was my favorite for the food, we went 3 times over our 6 nights. Le Chique was an exprience not to be missed. Spoons was an excellent "staple" for breakfest before getting ready for a tough day of sitting around the pool drinking. The staff here made the vacation! All of them were amazing, so gracious and just happy to please you. I hope they are fairly compensated because every single one of them did an outstanding job!

A minor dissapointment was we thought we were staying in the adults only section but when we arrived we were put in the family section in a room with 2 double beds when we thought we would have a king. The 2 beds thing we got over quickly when we realized it was a great place to put our luggage and the room itself was beautiful and the tub was great! As for the family section, it was the 3rd week of September so barely any kids were around anyway and the kids we did see were incredibly well behaved. Another complaint we had was wi-fi was outrageous. We couldn't remember if it was included or not when we arrived and were shocked to find out it was 15 dollars a day PER device. Needless to say, we weren't biting that bullet and remained unreachable for the week. Also the pools should be open later than 7, at least 8 or 9 I would say.

All in all a great stay. Would reccomend to friends but would give advice on the things to expect!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Allison A
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We chose this hotel particularly as it seemed to have plenty on offer for our 14 year old son and it was a good choice! When we arrived we were welcomed in reception with a cold towel and a cold drink which was perfect. its a nice distance from the airport so the transfer is quick and this didn't cause a problem with planes flying overhead which might be a concern when the airport is so local. Cancun airport is hectic, they are careful with security and there are lengthy queues but all worth it when you get there :-)

When we first booked the holiday I was quite dissapointed that we couldn't have a swim up room and because we had a 14 year old son we were allocated a room in the family section, which had me worried at first, as much as I have had 4 children and have 4 grandchildren I didn't want my 2 week holiday to be surrounded by a throng of screaming children but my concerns were put to rest after the first few days!! I am so pleased that I was in the family section and not the adults only section which was unbelievably noisy! We had a family room that had a deviding frosted glass petition between our bed area and the 'lounge' area which was ideal - the 2 seater corner sofa had a pull out double bed which was made up for our son and he had his own flat screen tv on the wall so he could watch what he wanted. Another great touch was that we had an ipod dock so we could listen to our own music while we were in our room - nice touch!!

The room was lovely and spacious as was the bathroom, which was open plan - a bit strange, there were frosted glass doors to enter the shower and the loo and although you couldn't see straight through them, I'm sure my son could make me out sat on the loo while he was brushing his teeth and having a shave - poor him !!!! the room, and infact the resort, were kept spotlessly clean with not so much as a blade of grass out of place. I tipped our cleaner (not that I ever met her) every other day and always came back to our room to some brilliant towel displays and we never ran out of shampoo, condiitoner, shower gel or moisturiser the whole of our stay!

The food was great, we never struggled to get in the restaurants and the service was really top class, the staff couldn't do enough to help you. The selection of food within the hotel is fantastic, we loved the mexican for lunch and the burgers at seafood restaurant for lunch were to die for and even the beach bbq, which was the least formal option for lunch had a great choice of food and a really nice laid back beach vibe with the lapping water on the shore line and easy listening music in the background - this often turned into the longest of the lunches we had.

The entertainment team were ideal, they weren't too pushy during the day, it was definately optional and they didn't nag you stupid to participate but they always asked and they were always happy. The evening entertainment usually centered around the mojito lounge (bar) near to reception and was quite varied from traditional dancers to kareoke but always entertaining.

I would highly reccommend this hotel to anyone, including those with small children, although I didn't make use of the small childrens clubs they seem to be busy with activities in and around the hotel grounds and looked like they were having a great time - in fact the couple who sat next to us around to pool only really saw their children for lunch during the day, they were always off having fun!!

The only downside to the holiday on the whole was the beach. The beach itself, the loungers and drinks service was excellent but unfortunately the sea was so full of seaweed and in some places rocks we rarely dipped our toes in the water - in fact we didn't see many people in the sea at all during our stay - this could be down to the time of year that we visisted (middle 2 weeks in July) but if you an avid beach lover then I would check this out further before booking. To be honest it didn't matter too much to us as the pools were fantastic - they were clean, with plenty of sun loungers and well spaced, we had clean towels every day too!!

So would I go back????? Yes I would be quite happy to go back, we had a lovely time and came away well rested with some lovely memories.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Royalton Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Mexico? Share your experiences!