“trying to be all things to all people doesn't work”

Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 11, 2010

Ocean Coral & Turquesa (coral & turquoise are colors used there) is absolutely beautiful. Maybe the nicest place I've ever stayed in - I think they must have invested a lot of money in it right when the economy tanked & that's why it's available at such good prices, so they can recoup some of their investment. Very stylish modern design, with carefully arranged seating areas and clearly a professional hand in choosing light fixtures, colors, textiles, etc. Definitely for those who appreciate more modern style than traditional-looking luxury. Info page says the place was built in 2008, and having recently built a house, I understand the 2-year mark requires a major maintenance intervention. There was a lot of maintenance going on while we were there - rooms, areas in the lobby, grounds, etc. I do wish they would have done one wing & kept all the guests out of that area instead of having us sleep near saws & sanders. We could have fit our 3-story house into 1/3 of the open-air lobby. Cannot say enough about the appearance - marble floors, gorgeous views from the patio of the lobby. They do have it set up badly for logistics - encourages guests (including me at one point) to be in the lobby in their bare feet & wet bathing suits, which made for a trashy appearance of the guests. Of course, that could be because of the low prices they are offering, but like I said, I ended up there right off the beach, too.

Food was good but not great. The buffet restaurant - again, gorgeous - was as good as a buffet could be, and the snack bar places were fairly benign, with chicken nuggets, french fries, burgers & wings during the day. Again with the low prices inviting less refined clientele - the rules about dress code were not observed or enforced, but the place set itself and its guests up for that. If I wanted to get a Coke or water while at the pool or on the beach, I'd have to get it myself 9 times out of 10. There was one waitress or waiter working a pool at a time, and not really in a hurry. Staff generally were friendly but overworked/annoyed/tired, not nearly as pleasant as other places that cater to a higher-end crowd. I think that was because of all the tacky, less grateful guests - those will wear ya down in a hurry, and these people probably thought they were going to get to serve a more refined, polite clientele. I don't mean to sound like I think we're such high-class people, but our goal when we vacation isn't to be drunk the whole time, and there was a whole pool full of those (with the swim-up bar, of course). The other restaurants (Japanese, Mexican, Italian & Carribbean) were alright too - not bad, just not great. One of them was closed each night we were there, but then that food type would be featured at the main buffet restaurant.

Four pools total, one kid pool which was very loud & chaotic, two 'activities' pools with loud music and goofy guys with microphones getting people to play games, and one quiet pool, where we spent all of our time. The resort also had a 'Privilege' section - nicer rooms, private restaurant & beach area - but I think that I would have been disappointed to pay $100 more per night to still be that close to a very raucous crowd. Our room was a little close for comfort to the party pool with the swim-up bar, so we were grateful that the sliding glass door kept noise out so that Elsa could nap in peace. The beach was so nice - thatched umbrellas with lounge chairs and tables, plenty for all the beach goers (really, why do people pay to go to the beach & then stay at the hotel pool?!?). Fine white sand, good for castle-building. :-) A bit of seaweed (the kind that looks like pine straw) so for those people who don't like nature on their beach or floating in the water, it's good to be forewarned. Gorgeous green & blue water - glad we got to see it before the oil spill in the Gulf ruins everything.

Room was beautiful - very high-end decor and restroom. Separate tub & glass/tile shower, vessel sink, marble everywhere. Our room had a ceiling fan & a real thermostat/HVAC system instead of the wall unit. (That made a difference to me). Also had very eco-friendly features - a/c kept running, but at night, motion detectors would turn off lights & such if no one moved for a while. Likewise, if we opened either room door or the sliding door to the balcony, the air would go off while the door was open. Also had the two-button toilet (one for low-flush, both for normal - my folks have this & it's a water-conserving thing). Little fridge restocked with plenty of water, sodas & 2 beers every day. I would have loved to have had a chaise lounge on the balcony instead of the basic porch chair. Free wi-fi in the lobby, available in the room for an extra fee.

I think my misstep was in looking at the hotel's website, which was clearly made & photographs taken before the guests started arriving. The site shows a very quiet, peaceful, luxurious hotel - it was much noisier & crowded in person, and that atmosphere is not what I choose for us for our vacations. I think the flaw in this place is that they are trying to be all things to all customers - kid/family friendly, spring-break/party crowd friendly, and luxury/quiet friendly. I suppose it's a big enough place for it, but I experienced the culture clash. Overall I wasn't disappointed - absolutely gorgeous hotel and beautiful beach, just more people and noise than I was expecting. I feel reminded to keep that in mind with our next place - last three vacations (Dominican, Bonaire & Puerto Vallarta) have been smaller boutique hotels in February, so less crowds & noise.

10  Thank kimfamily2010
EVEGT, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2010

Dear traveler:

It is always with a big pleasure that we learn you enjoyed your stay at OCT and further more you appreciatted the beauty of the Resort ;even when some aspects avoid your vacations from be totally satisfactory.

We are very aware of individuals are diferent and some clients may prefer quiet ambiances that is why we do have a pool where there is not even entertaiment to try to please the majority of the customers.

It is very important to underline that the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico does not represent danger for our state ;certainly the Departament of Environment & Naturals Resources has ruled out this possibility.

Regards and thank you for your comments,

Eveanny Gonzalez

Write a ReviewReviews (11,944)

Reviewed May 10, 2010

We were a group of six....4 adults and two children (5 &6 ) and had two rooms. The boys and grandpa played at the beach almost everyday once the wind settled down.Yes, there was sea weed but they did a pretty good job of trying to keep it cleaned up and it is the gulf.Rooms (16206/16208) were on the damp side and had a slight smell when you first walked in but i did not notice it the rest of the time but other people said they did .Food was good and service was alright most of the time , but they could use a few more workers in the main dining area (buffet).Pool area was very clean.

3  Thank IndianaLarry
Reviewed May 9, 2010

My wife and I went with her sister and brother-in-law the first week in May. This was our very first trip to Mexico, first trip outside the USA actually. We originally chose OCT due to it's secluded setting, and value for the price. We have great memories and have great times, but there were also a few negative things.

***Good***

- BEAUTIFUL setting.....beautiful resort...great style, huge resort, awesome architecture.

-PERFECT beach, blue water, white sand, PLENTY of chairs (did NOT have to play the 'towel' game at all here)

-Buffet food was ok, nothing fantastic, BUT the Italian and Mexican restaurants were AMAZING!

-Great service in the restaurants, and at the Lobby Bar. Kudos to Gasper and Carlos!!! EXCELLENT bartenders!! They created a show with every drink order, and were super kind!

-Pools were nice and warm, big sized, and full of fun-natured people

***BAD***

- Not much bad, but the few 'bad' things were horrible

- Pool Bar (Bartenders were ignorant here. YES we tipped, a lot actually but the service got worse and worse. They would take your drink order, and if it wasn't "Cerveza" (Beer) than you didn't get served right away. We had to send the wives up to get our orders half the time....that way they at least acknowledged them. The lobby bar was amazing, pool bar was a JOKE!)

-Maids (They were awesome every day, we left tips for them on the beds.......just the last night we stayed, we had a MAJOR issue. See, the resort gives you a "towel card". This way you can check out a towel per guest, turn them in every day for clean ones, and then you turn your towel in the final day to get your 'card' back. The card MUST be returned when you check out or you get charged $30. We left our blue towels in the room every night.....BUT the last morning, after housekeeping left, (just got back from breakfast), our blue towels were missing!!! Between me and my wife, that was 60 bucks!!!! I had to chase down the maid, ended up talking to 3 of them. OF COURSE, they could NOT speak English they said......even though every employee there did. I found my towels and just took them off the cleaning cart. Ridiculous!!!! Trying to charge me for 60 extra bucks....this put a huge damper on our trip...

-Rooms (We booked 1 KING bed, got 2 twin. Whatever.....we didn't complain BUT still was wrong. We also had to get our room keys fixed as soon as we got there...they weren't programmed for our room yet....so we had to walk all the way back to the lobby and fix that

-Location of Room (We were in building 17.....which is PERFECT for the beach, but for the restaurants (besides the beachfront one) were a LONG walk away....all the bars were a LONG way away too....the walking part sucked....

-Bar Hours (Supposedly, open bar.....BUT the hours are like 10 to 10 for some, and some closed at 3 pm!!!!! They ran out of Corona beer on the next to last day, and they were pouring cheap beer out of cans for the rest of the trip......Oh well it was beer! :)

*****Overall, for a first Mexican vacation, not bad. The few negative things really put a hamper on our vacation, but it really is a beautiful place with super nice people (except at the pool bar). I loved and really enjoyed the experience, BUT will stay somewhere else next time. Thanks!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank stunna_49
Reviewed May 9, 2010

First we are in our late 60's. I am crippled in knee. Oveall great hotel, ovall great staff with one exception Juan the towel man at activity pool was disrespective even mean to me. Anyway here go the negatives, first room 11103 had mold in shower. they need to steam clean with bleach and cut back another 25 feet of brush from back of room to help dry it out. We moved after one night because of heavy mold odor. Second room was fine on 2nd floor. I have gone to Mexico for past 20 years many times twice a year. stay at ocean coral was 10 days. wi fi connection did not work most of time in main lobby- I will never haul a lap top on vacation again. Restaurants had wonderfull bread but no butter just butter substitute. Chairs in main dining are very low to floor therefore not comfortable o.k. for short people. Hotel should have a few higher straight back chaires in each restaurant for tall or big people. Pools were very clean but bar pool was a football field with flying ball all day everyday by peoply who could not throw. Moved to main pool and music went on at 8am till after 5 pm none stop highest volume possible. Recommend some break time from the music. No reason to blase music at highest volume at 8am with only 6 or 8 people at the pool. When I asked Towel person Juan if it would be possible to lower music a little bit he said yes he could but would not do it because at activity pool you needed loud music. Since I tip everyone I asked him how much to lower music a little bit and he told me to say PLEASE TO HIM before he would consider my request or he would not do it. So I walked away. As I was pool walking and got in front of speaker he would raise volume as high as possible and laugh. Someone finally got him to lower volume another day. On the good side of things we found restaurants to be very good. Great varity of food all well prepared. Overall Staff was friendly and helpfull. As always we really love the Mexican people and had never had any problem in 20 years with wait staff. The pool man at main pool works very hard everyday to maintain this pool. He keeps it very clean. Very few bugs in area, rooms clean ,floors kept clean,overall nice hotel and will bring back 4 other people with us. Beach very nice. Hotel on par with riu palace and iberostar tucan.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank billbNewington
Reviewed May 7, 2010

We are regular travelers to the sunny southern destinations of Jamaica, Dominican Republic and Mexico. We always partake in all-inclusive with direct flights from Canada. We had read several questionable and negative reviews leaving us with a fear that we had made a poor decision of locations this year. The usual arrival, bus trip, etc was as we expected. My wife had made contact with Guest services prior to our arrival and requested a "dehumidifier" and ensured our room had two beds as our 13 year old son was accompanying us. We received reply email from Gabriella ensuring our requests would be met.

Upon arriving at the check-in everything was as expected and when we went to the room a dehumidifier was delivered promptly. The key to keeping your room fresh and comfortable in all tropical destinations ESPECIALLY humid areas is to keep the AC and dehumidifier on at all times. Many things can be complained about, but really when I look at the negative reviews now all I can say is shake your head......the sun is shining, drinks are cold and the food is great. For those who complained about the food, there can't be anywhere that would satisfy you. Fruit and vegetables were always fresh, and plenty of cooked variety of food to please most every taste. I read some complaints about the rooms, musty and moldy, kind of part of the humid environment, fixed by the dehumidifier if it bothered you. Bugs and such.... well they are also a product of the environment, request an above ground floor and/or pay for the preferred view.

We had a room in building 14 on the 4th floor, beautiful view of the garden and ocean. We ate at the Italian, Mexican, Steak house, Japanese (twice), and the buffet, all met or exceeded our expectations. The one thing about the food was we always had enough. We went to the Creperie one night for dessert and coffee, which was absolutely excellent, Mayan Coffee is such a treat and well deserved a good tip.

Our experience with all staff was positive and one remarkable thing that stood out to me was their memory, on repeat encounters for them to call you by name shows their respect. Many staff appeared extremely happy to serve you and were often having fun while doing so.

We would definitely recommend this resort to the regular tropic traveler as a great place to relax and enjoy well-needed vacation.

Outside the resort we travelled to "Xplor" which was a park that had zip-lining, amphibious vehicles, rafting and swimming through the cenotes. The cenotes are a MUST see feature of the Yucatan Peninsula. We thoroughly enjoyed the action filled day of adventure, even broke down and bought some wonderful keepsake photos of the day!

Money, money and more money is what they want to get from you so keep that in mind, tourism is 1/3 of Mexico's GDP, they are very good at creating opportunities for you to spend more, so be prepared. If you are not willing to part with more money stay on the resort, don't buy the photos and don't tip anybody. I don't mean to be negative here but "it is what it is."

Would we recommend this resort, absolutely......we didn't want to go home so soon.

6  Thank xgasman
Reviewed May 7, 2010

I know i am writing this way late but still wanted to chime in. This resort was nice, clean and well spread out. My biggest complaint was there was no entertainment at night. They did have nightly show but it was really basic and only lasted 20 minutes. It is nice to relax at the end of the day if you so choose but there were many people looking for something to do. I have stayed at other resorts where there was a nightly theme with music, dancing and a show every night. We were pretty active during the day and wasn't hip to leaving the resort at night so we went to bed early. A bit disappointing as i am relatively young.
The resort was only at 30% capacity so it was easy to get reservations for the specialty rest. No problem getting chairs either but i'm sure there would have been major problems if the resort had been full. My biggest problem was getting served drinks....and we tipped. We were fine not being served at sitting in our lounge chair but had to wait quite a long time at the swim up bar.
Overall, the food was decent and we had a good vacation. We will nto be going back as we like to explore other resorts.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank sb1135
Reviewed May 5, 2010

The first floor beds were damp, there are no dehumidifiers on the first floor, the tile floors were slick and disgusting, the mold smell was enough to make you gag. I spent the entire first night looking for things that crawl or slither. The second night we opened our door for room service, the waiter stepped on a huge roach, and left it in front of our door. When my friend didn't believe me she opened the door to see it herself ANOTHER one ran in! We managed to kill both and throw them outside our door. We took pictures. I walked down to the privileged lounge and told her, she said someone was coming to my room. We packed and waited another 20 minutes, no one came. We had to go to the front desk and complain to get another room in a non privileged section for the night, then be moved AGAIN. I FLEW HOME and my girlfriend stayed there because she was out all this money already and couldn't get her vacation time back.

Paying for the privileged package was a joke. You're not privileged at all. You have to make reservations for all the restaurants the day before [and that's only if they have a spot you cannot eat whenever you want] and if you don't about the only thing that's always open is the buffet. All of the restaurants are not open at all times, we arrived on a Sunday and noticed that on Monday half of them were closed. The pools were gorgeous. No one tried to sell us a time share, however they do push the tourist stuff on you. Also, when you arrive at the airport just before you make it OUT the door for a taxi, they try to herd you into some area and they call themselves your travel adviser. They are just trying to sell you tours. It's ridiculous. Huge waste of money. No wonder the other resorts were so expensive.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank StrangeChicago
EVEGT, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2010

Dear Travelers:

We sincerely thank you for your contibution with Ocean Coral &Turquesa in TPADV,most of your reviews have permitted to improve our services in daily basis since the opening of the hotel;every remark is a valuable oportunity for us to correct a situation may avoid our customers from leaving the property 100 percent satisfied;nevertheless we must say that despite the very tie fumigation program we carrie out ,the caracteristics of the zones climate brings about the presence of the inhabit fauna ;which is very peculiar and diverse.

Eveanny Gonzalez

#5 of 28 in Puerto Morelos
Grand Residences Riviera Cancun
Grand Residences Riviera Cancun
#1 of 28 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!