“Incredible, awesome.so relaxing!!!!!!”

Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 17, 2010

I love this place!!!!!! our service was impecable...yes we were privlege but remember you get what you pay for and we choose to have better service.
Our room was perfect with a ocean view...I traveled with my sis in laws for a total of 3 of us girls..We were treated like queens the whole 7 days that we stayed.
A special thanks to: Sandra. Jesus, Dominico. and Joaquin....
The drinks were so good thanks to Dominico and Jesus gave us the great choco tinis...
The food was very good overall the only restaurant that we didn't care for was the Mexican. But please remember everyone has diffrent tastes...
We really enjoyed the entertainment crew...they work very hard all day by the pools and then put on a show at 9:30 pm it was well done...thanks hector :)
I'ts true this is a very quiet resort but if you want rest and relaxation this is a perfect place.
I do agree that they need a diffrent system for the restaurant reservations for non privlege guests...
Our room was cleaned quickly every day by noon or so...our fridge was always restocked daily and if we left a note for something extra it was allways honored.
The privilege lounge is a great place to kick back and have a few wonderful drinks..thanks Jesus :)

We saw some very rude people being nasty to some of the pool butlers and I don't know how they kept their temper and just said yes sir....get over yourselves and enjoy your time away..
we are definately going back to this resort with our spouses.
relax and forget about the negative reviews...I would recommend that you upgrade if able to it was well worth it....

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (12,058)

Reviewed April 16, 2010

Just got back from our vacation in Mexico. The Ocean Coral & Turquesa is where we stayed. The hotel itself is nice, clean, and the staff was very friendly. You always got an "Hola". The lobby is beautiful and the beach is very pretty. It's very modern and chic and the pictures you see on the website look identical to the actual rooms. The food was pretty decent, I can't complain and the drinks were ok. My complaint is there was no entertainment. None! We went with our 10 year old son. Although he had a ball (because it was his first time in Mexico) I was disappointed that they had no real activities for the kids or adults. No beach parties, no pool activities. No water sports available except for snorkling. Nothing! In other words it was very lame. Laid back with little to no action what so ever! Because it was so slow and quiet, I did get plenty of relaxation and I read an entire novel in 2 days during my 4 day stay! If you're looking for a very slow resort that's not very active and just want to chill and relax, I would recommend. If you like to party and have a good time and want plenty of choices for things to do, I wouldn't recommend. The resort pretty much shuts down at 9pm! It's 30 minutes from Cancun and 30 minutes from Playa. You will end up paying $60 bucks round trip if you're not careful unless you get up and catch the free shuttle to Cancun at 9:30am. We did get a chance to go into the fishing village, Playa del Carnen, and Tulum. Tulum was beautiful and I had the best fish taco I've ever had there! Oh, I have to say Oscar (Maitre d'hotel) is super great and was wonderful with my son! Be careful with the timeshare gimmicks.....

3  Thank ivy4me
Reviewed April 16, 2010

My family has been vacationing in Mexico for 8 years and stayed at various hotels. We are pretty easy going and can overlook little bad things here and there as long as overall experience is good.

This year we vacationed with 4 other families for a total of 19 people (9 of them were kids ages 3 to 8). Everyone agreed on the pros and cons listed below:
1. The Good:
- only half hour ride from Cancun, so if you like to venture outside the hotel for a change of scenery in the evening - this location is very convenient.
- hotel was built in 2007 and is in very good condition; we loved the rooms - big, have balconies or walkout on 1st floor; lots of shelf room to unpack clothes. Some people didn't like open plan of the bathrooms but it didn't bother my family
- we all liked Mike's coffee shop
- very nice location for Kids Club (Daisy Club) - they have their own shallow big pool with a whole bunch of inflatables for kids to play with and right next to the pool and Kids Club is a bar for parents to enjoy a beverage while watching kids.
- beach is very long, so if you enjoy a stroll along the water - you can really put on some miles
- Hotel has a nice lay out. All buildings are set up along the beach rather then away and inland, so all rooms are not far from the beach.

The BAD:
- THE WORST customer service we have ever experienced. My group had a total of 5 rooms and every single one of us had the same experience. Even though we left tips for maids every morning, our rooms will not be cleaned till later afternoon. Even after continuous calls and requests to clean the room - nobody would show up. Rooms will not be cleaned as late at 5pm and even 7pm on one occasion. On day 4 we had to go as a group to the front desk and complain. at that point manager put our rooms on the list and the rest of the days the maid was by the door ready to clean around 9am.
- A la carte restaurants do NOT take reservations! So if you want to get in for dinner, you have to be there way in advance and hope to get in. And if you are a larger group - good luck arguing with hostesses.
- the WORST entertainment we've ever seen in a hotel! A very little indoor theatre. Extremely poor quality of costumes and horrible dancers/choriography. This hotel does not spend any money on their entertainment. Also, some of the shows were done in bad taste, and most were entertaining only if you fall into age category of 3-10.
- Breakfast/lunch/dinner all you can eat restaurant located by the main/big pool had very rude hostesses. Most waiters were very unattentive. Here is one of many incidences we encountered there: The hostess told me that kids cannot come in with wet clothes on. We reassured them that kids have been changed. at which point hostess RUDELY proceeded to lifts my kids off the chair and fill up their butts to check if their shorts were dry - which they were! So not only they handled my children without permission but also they implied that I was a liar.
- Hotel makes a very distinct seperation and emphasis between guests that were booked in regular rooms (most guests) vs. what they call "Privilege" guests. And this distinction is done constantly to the point where it makes you feel as if you sneaked in without paying and have no rights to ask for anything. Regular rooms don't even have an alarm clock. When I asked for one I was told that clocks are only for "Privilege"
- If you forget any of your items anywhere even for a very short period of time - do not even bother asking staff for "lost and found". As we were told in the past - In Mexico things don't get lost - they change owners. How true it is for this particular hotel! A pair of crocs that my friends by accident left in cafeteria and shortly came back for - were gone and not to be found anywhere. Same happened to a briefly forgotten pair of sunglasses left at the table at one of the other restaurants.
- Very poor night life. DJ entertainment for adults is over with by 11:45pm!

Bottom line: great rooms; horrible people care / customer service. Will NEVER come back and make sure our friends don't either.

4  Thank mi4ka
Reviewed April 16, 2010

My wife and I, along with our 2 kids (11 and 9), spent spring break here. My wife and I have been to the Riviera Maya 6-8 times. The last 4 times we stayed at adults only resorts including 2 Excellences and the Royal. We have also stayed at the RIU palace and Iberostar Tucan in Playa. This resort falls right in between the RiU and Iberostar (both "family-type" resorts) and the nice adults only resorts. The buildings and landscaping are newer and nice. The room looks nice, but some little things kept it from feeling so nice. The bed was pretty firm, the pull out couch where the kids slept was horribly uncomfortable, the balcony door lock was broken, and the shower leaked. Housekeeping took a long time if we needed extra towels, which we often did because they would usually only leave 2 (even though we requested extra).

The food was ok. The Italian and Mexican restaurants were pretty good.

I understand that we were there on the first week that the reservation system changed. We did not need to make reservations during the day. We just walked up to restaraunts and put our name in. We were then given a buzzer and went to wait. There seemed to be far to few servers and staff, as there were often empty tables and a wait of more than 1 hour. Also, the dress code is bizarre. At the Italian restaraunt, I saw a hostess turn away a woman because she had plastic on her sandals. The woman was very well dressed. They were very insistant that there be no plastic on sandals. Very wierd.

Our kids had a great time. This is not the nicest place in the area by a longshot, but I don't want my kids to know that there is anywhere nicer than this. That gets expectations too high. They thought the hotel was great and we had a fun time.

Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank MMQA
Reviewed April 16, 2010

This was probably my 15th trip to Riviera Maya but my first time in PM. This was my third with the kids in the last 3 years. It was myself, my wife, daughter 10, and son 8. We booked a Royal Master Suite for 7 nights 4/6 - 4/13 directly through the H10 website. I emailed Gabriella in advance and requested some things. I got a prompt response.

As soon as we got to the resort they checked our name and took our bags and walked us directly to the privileged desk. The offered us drinks and began check in. While one person took care of the money and paperwork another went over the map with us detailing locations and services. Gabriella came over to say hello and check on us (class act doing that as well as her posts on this site). At the end the woman informing us offered us the breakfast which I declined and got a second push and declined. It never came up again. I knew from this post what it was so no worries. We were then introduced to our butler who walked us to our room. Along the way he pointed out things and gave us a nice quick tour. When we got to our room he showed us how everything worked and made sure that we were happy. He asked us what time we would like our room cleaned daily and if we wanted to try to get dinner reservations for that night. We declined to just do the buffet.

Our room was amazing. The pictures look nice but do not do it justice. The room was huge. We were in 1208 which is the 2nd floor left middle of building 1. The view was perfect and I could have thrown a wiffle ball over the beach in the water. We had a double balcony with a 2 person jacuzzi, a shower, 2 longe chairs, and a table and 2 chairs. It had a wall but was lowered between posts and had a rail to help the view while sitting. We had a full living room with a TV, pull out soffa, 2 side chairs, a desk, and a table with 2 chairs. This room also had a half batch and an enclosed microwave and coffee area. From that room through a large frosted slider was our bedroom which had a huge sitting area with a sofa and loveseat, our king size bed, side tables, a tv, and a bench all nicely appointed. The bathroom was behind all of that with closets and the safe. The bathroom was huge. It had double sinks, a tub, a shower with a frosted door and toilet with a frosted door. The shower did not leak and had a marble strip along the door so it could not. There was a window into the bedroom but there were curtains in the bedroom and harmonica shade in the bathroom. Privacy was not an issue. There was a hat and a tee shirt for each of the kids set up on the pull out for them. There was some fruit and champagne set up on the table for the wife and I. Everything in the room worked well. We got turndown service everynight which included a card with the next days forecast and a candy as well as beach towell exchange. This was the best room / suite that i have ever had anywhere. The only thing that I did not like but tha was tollerable was the motion detectors turning off the power when you were asleep. My kids get a little scared in the dark and the place gets dark. It also turns off the fans which can make the room hot. There was never any musty smell or foul oder in our room or anywhere in the restort.

It was a holiday week and the resort was fool. The first day I tried to get pool chairs at 8am and there was not a chair left at any pool. I played the game the nbext few days and had no issue. As occupency fell through the week it got better and you could get chairs at 9am. The pool chairs are nice. About half of them have a lift at your knees which is nice. The pool umbrellas are junk and most of them are broken which makes them sit how they want and not where you want. It is not a huge deal but a weakness. We spent days at every pool other than the kids pool. We ended up liking the quet pool between buildings 1 and 7. Drink service at all of the pools was fantastic and the best I have ever seen in any resort! We tipped but some others did not and still got great service. The pools were clean at all times.

We did not spend a ton of time on the beach. I hate to say it but the seaweed is an issue. It is not thier fault and they work so hard to correct it but it is a ton. They can fix what is on the beach but not what is in the water. I walked the beach in both directions and it is an issue all along this strech. I think that it is because the reef is so close. The entire beach has good drink service as well but the privileged area on the beach was amazing. You could not save chairs there and there was a beach boy who ran everything the chairs there were great and as soon as he sat you he brought you an iced bucket of bottled water and made sure it had ice all day. He also got you whatever else you wanted to drink. Nice touch.

Buffet - Food was average to slightly above average. Drink service was poor. You typically got one drink when you sat down and that was it. I consider this about the same as most other similar rated resorts. We did not eat there a ton.
Villa Marina - Food was good. I had a ribeye which was cooked as ordered but fatty. My wife had skewers which were good. I dont recall what the kids had. This menu is limited unless you want to pay for things. There are a bunch of upcharge items on this menu. Service was good
Italian - Hostess could have been nicer. Portions are small so order 2 -3 courses. Service was good but they forgot one of my courses. I moved on. I had the Osso Bucco which was very fatty. Otherwise food was good.
Aisan - There were two chefs at the show. One was good and one was awful. We got the awful one. He was nice and I actually felt bad for him. We had fun. Meal was ok but nothing special.
Fusion - With the privilege package my fife and I both had the lobster. It was a good size and well prepared. The portions here are small also. The service was fantastic. The view is perfect.
Mike's - Nice little play that family enjoyed more than me. Subs in the daytime were good but needed more meat. The place is a nice touch.
Sports Bar - We never ate there but I took the kids in for a milkshake one night. They were not impressed.
Pool snack bars - They were ok. Mostly fried foods and burgers and dogs. These could use improved menu's but what they had was good if it was what you like.
Room Service - We did breakfast in our room the last day. They brought a feast on time and it was fantastic.

The privileged lounge was something that I did not expect to use other than for internet service. I was wrong. This is the best bar in the place. Great drinks. They put out appatiesers everyafternoon through night time and they are good. The breakfast served there was great and we wished we had gone sooner. It is compfortable and has great view both indoors and outdoors. It was close to our pool too so we would go in and out for food durring the afternoon. It was great for me because I could run in from the pool and check on the Masters there as well. I made all of my dinner reservations here as well and it was quick and easy. They do whatever they can here to make you happy.

The lobby area was nice and perfectly kept. We were beat and most nights were back in the room by 9pm.

Overall I was impressed with this place. The only real weaknesses I could see were the seaweed, the service in the buffet, and the menu's at the snack bars. The only one that was a big deal to us was the seaweed. I think that we may feel differently if we had not gone privileged.

I am not sure what people are complaining about. The place was very nice and the staff accomidating. Dont get me wrong, it is not perfect but they do a great job overall. For what this cost if you expected more you need to lower your expectations. If you can not increase your budget and go stay at the Maroma.

Would I go back? For a similar deal i think that I would. The seaweed may deter me a little. The resort grew on me while I was there and I dont know why. I did not love it at first but I did not know why. By the end I loved it. It was smaller than most other places we have stayed but not small.

I loved the town of PM. Nice and not over crowded like Cancun or Playa. No one begging you to buy. A normal pace walk takes about an hour. Check out my reviews of Crococun Zoo, Pelicanos, and USA transfers for other info. We also did snorkeling with Ceaser which you can read up on in the PM forums. It was great!

1  Thank preziam
Reviewed April 15, 2010

Our group of 20 that included 5 families with kids from 1 1/2 to 13 years old just returned from an amazing week of fun in the sun.
I need to start this review by commending Gabriella, the Customer Service Manager who went out of her way to ensure that our stay was perfect! I had communicated with her over a dozen times prior to our arrival to make arrangements for childcare, restaurant reservations and room requests. It was such a pleasure to work with someone who not only truly loves what she does, but keeps her word as well.
Rooms:
We stayed in room 9407 that had a great view of the pool with the swim up bar and ocean. Our room actually was a joining room to one of the families that we traveled with. Our room had 2 double beds, queen sleeper and was perfect for our family of 4. There was a mini fridge that was stocked daily with bottles of water and soda. We did tip the maid everyday and left a few chocolate bars too. The bathroom situation was not as bad as some have commented with the privacy issue, but the water running out of the shower to the toilet area did get annoying. The electric in the room is motion sensitive, the AC and fan will turn off during the nigh if there is no movement. My wife had an issue with the lack of dresser space, there is closet space but not one drawer to put clothing. Other then that the room was big and spacious and satisfied our needs.
Pools:
The chair saving was in full swing if you did not get out there by 7am you had no chair! There are 4 pools situated within each of the 4 horseshoes that make up the resort layout. Facing the ocean beginning from the left is the kids pool with the kids club, pool bar and snack stand. The next pool is the main activity pool where most of the poolside games take place. The activity staff is situated in a hut to hand out towels, games and other sporting games. There is a snack bar restaurant in the area where you can eat at tables or grab the food and take back to poolside. The next pool is the pool that has the swim up bar and smaller activities hut, but they do some fun stuff there as well. The last pool is in the privilege section, this would be referred to as the quiet pool. There is a snack bar that turns into the Crepe restaurant at night.
Beach:
The beach was beautiful, white sand and blue water for miles. Yes, there was seaweed, they did clean the beach all day and had tractor that swept it away at least once a day. There were plenty of huts on the beach but the chair game was going on at the beach as well.
Food:
We all thought that there was plenty of food and choices to go around. The buffet did have some lines during the peak hours which got a little annoying. If you were poolside and wanted to eat at the buffet they did turn you away if you were wet from the pool. We all agreed that the Japanese Hibachi was the best! The show that they put on was fun for both the kids and adults and the food was delicious. The Italian was ok, not that many choices on the menu. We ate at the Mexican 2 nights and really enjoyed that too. Mike's coffee house was a hit anytime of the day for coffee, lattés, cappuccino, pastries and sweets. The Sports bar had a pub style menu with a Mexican flair and the kids really enjoyed the milkshakes. We only had dessert at the Crepe restaurant and how could you go wrong with fruit and chocolate!!!
All in all the food was good, a few of us had some issues with how the food made us feel but nothing that would ruin your day!
Entertainment Activities and Staff:
We had worked out childcare with the staff prior to our arrival for the infant and it was perfect. Alcia and Gustavo from the entertainment staff were very helpful and took care of our little ones needs. The daily activities crew are great, Juan, Pollo, Roxy, Alan are just a few of those that really take the time to make your stay fun. From water aerobics, to pool volleyball their energy never dies. There was karoke, dj's bands, beach party, and ball room dancing in the evenings. The staff in general was happy to help in any way that they can! I can honestly say that the staff made our vacation that much more enjoyable!
Our group agreed this was one of the best vacations that we ever had. I have been to many all inclusive before in the Caribbean and Mexico, there was something about the OCT that put them above the rest. Can’t wait to go back !!!

1  Thank 2boyz4me
Reviewed April 14, 2010

I'll start by saying I'm not going to go over things that have been covered by other reviews. I would like to debunk some of the things said, some people are impossible to please. We booked through our travel agent and requested a room on the second or third floor. This one request went unfullfilled, we were on the first floor. We had our two kids, ages 4 & 7, so it was more of a security factor I was worried about. That being said, we had no problems. Also, there was no bad smell, which I was expecting after reading reviews.

So, we get there and check in throught the privilege desk, which goes very smooth, except the first floor thing. They tried to set up the timeshare breakfast, which we declined, no problems. This next part is very important: PURCHASE THE PRIVILEGE UPGRADE. For us, it was an extra $200 for 4 people for 5 nights. The reservation thing alone is worth it. The longe is nice too, with 2 computers with free internet access. If you like to drink, you get access to all the top shelf stuff, no questions asked (Don Julio, Bombay Saphire, Frangelica, DeSoranno, Crown Royal, and much, much more).

We sent our kids to the Daisy Club every day for at least a little bit. They had a good time, did crafts, swam in the kid pool, went to the beach, had lunch. There was very little info on here about it, so I wasn't sure, but it was fine. I think the hours were 9:30 to 4:30. They also made a pinata that they broke on the friday night Mexican Festival by the waterfall.

The place was styled more European than Mexican, with ocasional thatch roof thrown in to remind you of where you are. Impeccably landscaped and clean, like most resorts in the area. There wasn't a lot of wildlife or vegitation, some palm trees, a "nature reserve" area, and a few iguanas. The beach was nice, not rough at all, but there was sea weed. The tractors came by several times a day to clean it. The Privilege section was nice, the waiters kept you stocked with drinks and ice. But for swimming, I'd rather go to the pools for this resort.

The Pools were awesome, especially the drunk pool. It had I think 8 stainless steel waterfalls, bubble longe chairs, a swim up bar, and LED light show at night. Watch the plastic grates around the edges of the pools. If you weigh more than 200 lbs, don't step on them, they will break.

I was a little concerned about the bar situation...that we would have to wait for drinks. My longest waits were in the lobby bar, maybe 3 or 4 minutes. The pool bar was surprisingly efficient. There is also a bar in the Crepery during the day by the relaxation pool. All restaurants have bars too. When we were there, most of the bars served can Corona or Medelo.

The rooms were nice. We used the privelege outdoor tub to bath the kids every day, which they loved. The beds were shockingly comfortable for Mexico, not the usual softness of a pool table. We also ordered goose down pillows (another privilege perk). The fridge was restocked daily, no problems with diet coke. They did not ever refill the nuts, I guess that was in the catagory of the liquor...one time only. The fan and AC were on a motion sensor and would shut down after about 10 minutes if there was no movement.

Lastly, the food...a subject my wife and I disagreed on. She loved it, me not so much. It seemed to be more for looks than taste. The Privilege longe breakfast was nice, but took forever. The breakfast buffet was very crowded. Once again, a little too fancy and not enough substance, I often left hungry. For lunch, the 2 outdoor places were nice...good burgers, cheese sticks, fries, hotdogs. The buffet, alright, nothing to write home about. The Mexican, I have to agree was not great. I went with a burrito, the wife went with the usually safe choice of Fajitas...neither were very good. Fusion, the food looked pretty, but that's where it ended. We used the privilege free lobster dinner there. The worst lobster I ever had was fantastic...that being said, I'm glad I didn't spend $42 on it. The fish place was OK, same story...looks are more important than taste. Italian was a surprise. I read reviews and talked to people at the resort that said it was aweful. I thought it was the best place. I had filet medallions and they were really good. The Japanese was good, as everybody has said. But we got there on a monday and left on saturday. Even with privilege, the best reservation we could get (from day 1) was friday at 9pm. Book it as soon as you can. All in all, I expected to gain a few pounds, but I doubt I did.

2  Thank LLUncoolJ
Excellence Riviera Cancun
Excellence Riviera Cancun
#2 of 28 in Puerto Morelos
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!