“Amazing for the price! We found a slice of heaven at this resort.”

Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Boston
“Amazing for the price! We found a slice of heaven at this resort.”
Reviewed March 29, 2010

The pluses are excellent in so so very many ways. To complain about the aspects of this resort is silly. After a wonderful experience I am again returning to Mayan Riviera but couldn't get the same wonderful deal I did get last year. To read such arbitrary reviews make me want to write something positive because when you have a blast you don't necessarily write a review. So here is my 2 cents a year later now that I have again booked yet another Mexican Trip. Both my partner and myself found this resort to exceed all of our expectations. I loved the modernist style to their outdoor furniture so much I went searching to try and find similar items for my own summer beach home. The things that were not 100 percent are part of life and how you view the world. As nothing is perfect go with the flow. This, however, truly came close and provided everything I was looking for in a resort. You won't be disappointed unless you demand a level of service that extends beyond upper middle class. I don't have a mansion at home. I didn't fly on my own jet to Mexico. So don't expect the upper levels of service and amenities that people are complaining about if you are not a celebrity. This isn't a private villa compound but to me it sure felt like my own personal one that I could share with the best company in the world. I exceeded what I paid cash for with timeless memories that are very relevant in my relationship. Go with an open mind and let the lobby slowly expand past the horizion itself. Amazing use of space. If my office was the lobby with this view what kind of work would I get done? Some of the staff was working very hard and I felt that bringing a stack of ones went a long way to showing my appreciation for this all inclusive resort.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
8 Thank stlrblue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,502)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Rogers Arkansas
Reviewed March 29, 2010

The weather was sunny, the drinks were cool and the food was great. Our vacation at the Ocean Coral and Turquesa was outstanding. From the pick-up provided by Trafic Tours located at the resort, to the quick check-in at the Privilege desk we couldn't ask for more. We have vacationed in Mexico at least 25 times and have stayed at numerous resorts from Cancun all the way down to the Tulum area, and have found this resort to be the best. The employees are the friendliest that we have found, and extremely helpful. The General Manager of the resort along with the Guest Service Manager took the time to walk around the resort and ask questions. We spent time talking about the resort and were asked numerous times how the vacation was and if it met our expectations. We were also asked if there was anything we could suggest to make it better, no other resort has done that. The resort was at full capacity while we were there, but we had no problems getting what we needed (With a smile). There are activities for children and adults throughout the day if you want to participate. The entertainment team does a great job getting everyone involved. If you want excellent service, food and accomodations, Ocean Coral and Turquesa is a destination you may want to look into. I have never submitted a review before, but we felt that this resort and its staff deserved to be recognized for its outstanding service and hope other people have an opportunity to experience it. I know that it isn't possible for every experience to be like this, but this is the third time we have vacationed there and each experience was the same.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
11 Thank MTRJ
Quebec
Reviewed March 29, 2010

After a couple of months of reading the reviews(some kinda scary) we were pleasantly surprised on how nice this place was. First of all the staff, including the lovely Gabriella, the guest service manager, were fantastic. They spoke WONDERFUL English... I cannot for the life of me understand why people would say the staff couldn't speak English... are we talking about the same place??? Second of all, the towel -beach chair thing, I,ve been to 4 trips , in Punta Cana, Cuba and Mexico, and numerous times to Florida and it's the same thing everywhere. People get up early and put towels on their chairs and then go off, and then come back.Not supposed to... but they do.The food was very good. Things for all tastes.The resort was spotless. Now the musty smell people speak of... It's tropical weather, and the air condtioning takes care of it. I'm embarrassed to read some reviews... people are so critical and I can imagine the staff and Gabriella reading them and feeling so bad.When I travel I always try to find the good instead of insisting on the negative. Now I went walking every day on the beautiful beach, and went snorkeling at Puerto Morelos, it,s the high light of my trip. I'd recommend going!!If you are planning on going soon, you should LOVE it! I,d have spent another week if I could have!

12 Thank Joanne P
Ottawa
Reviewed March 29, 2010

We travelled to Mexico on March 20-27, with our teenage son, who is 14.

We arrived to the Ocean Coral & Turquesa on March 27th. We unfortuantely did not arrive with all of our bags as US Air lost my son's and husbands bags. The resort however was amazing in ensuring us that they would let us know was soon as they arrived, we got them at 3:00 am that morning. I will never fly US Air again!

The resort was beautiful, very modern, very clean, staff was amazing, friendly, attentive, and right on the beach!

I was so nervous as this was our first time to Mexico ever and I was checking the reviews on this resort every day. You would hear things like bugs, moldy smell, bad food. Well I can tell you this.

Bugs in our room - none, there are however bugs on the beach in the sand that will bite your legs (which you do not feel) and leave red marks on your legs, so if you spent or plan on spending alot of time on the beach and you find red marks thats where that comes from.

We had a Master Suite which was huge, 2 balcony's, Ocean View, King Bed (very comfortable considering, with a pull out bed for our teenage son in the next room. I was disapointed a little in the location as we booked Privelege and the Privelege building is #7 and we were #17, a bit of walk but no big deal, next time I will know, our room was very quiet we had a wonderful view. There was a strong musty smell when we arrived, not being used to it, but remember right on the Ocean steps from the beach, turn the air on in your room and it does go away.

Food was amazing, fresh fruit, healthy choices. The food was especially good at the restuarants, my favorite was the fusion restaurant, but the steak place and the Japanese were very good, one thing I can say is the red wine is terrible so if your a big red wine drinker you will be dissapointed, I would buy your own in Puerto Morales, oh and bring your own coffee. We got up one morning for a tour at 6:30 am and they had no coffee made. The sports bar was fun, and the coffee shop was great as well, cappicunio, lates, espressor, oh and ask for a hit of baileys!

The activities were fantastic, the staff does an amazing job getting people involved. Things like Yoga every morning, water aerobics in the pool or on the beach, beach volleyball, great music always playing, contests........never a dull moment, oh and great music! They have a theatre and every night there is a movie playing at 6:00 pm, family oriented movies, nice big theatre. Events every night, beach parties, disco nights by the bar, karoke in the lounge, dancing shows! If you are bringing teenages or children, I would suggest hanging out by the activity pool, the pool bar tends to be a bit noisy and agressive with some adults getting drunk and acting a little inappropriate, not something you might want your kids to see.

The gym is great too, nice equipment, lots of weights. Beautiful spa which we did not use as it costs $25.00 for the day just to swim in a heated jacuzzi pool and hot tub, if thats your thing but its indoors.

One thing very important, go Privlege, which we did, and if you dont be prepared to line up every day for about an hour to make your dinner reservations. If you go privelege you can make your reservations at the point of check -in for every night. You also get free towel service, others have to have a card. You get premium liquor and access to the privlege lounge and beach. Its the way to go and worth the cost to upgrade!

Would I go back to this resort, definitely and remember nothing is perfect, not even in your own home, but the staff is quick to react if you are unhappy, never rude, very happy, love the bartenders! Just relax, enjoy the time and live for the moment because it goes fast!

Hope you have a great vacation, I know I did!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
12 Thank strevelyan
home
Reviewed March 29, 2010

Got back from Ocean Coral and Turquesa this past Tuesday. Stayed 6 days/5 nights. Flew directly to Cancun from Cleveland, Ohio. Had booked the Privilege class for just a little more than the basic package through Bookit.com. From arrival at airport to flight back the whole trip was effortless. The transportation van was waiting and we were at the hotel in less than 30 minutes because it is very close to the airport. We were immediately taken to the Privilege check in desk, given a drink and made all our ala carte restauarant dinner reservations for the 5 nights we were staying. Got all our dinner reservations for the times we wanted. Room was not ready so we went to the buffet for lunch and walked around the resort getting aquainted with it. It is long and beautiful. Grounds are meticulous, 4 pools are beautiful and the ocean front setting is perfect. The only thing was there are not a lot of flower plantings, rather more of a greenscape but still very nice. Ground workers are always clipping and painting and keeping everything fresh looking. When it was time to get our room instead of being taken to the Privilege Jr Ocean View suite we were taken to a Privilege OCEAN FRONT MASTER SUITE. It had a living room, dining area, wrap around balcony, bedroom with king size bed and another sitting area. It had 2 tv's and 2 bathrooms, robes, slippers. What a surprise to get this room for no extra charge.

Weather was cool while we were there, high 70's low 80's during the day but very cool at night. Cancelled our outside dinner reservation the first night because wind was blowing and it was too cold to eat outside by the ocean. Did eat outside at the Crepe restaurant but it is more sheltered and away from the beach. We did have one day when dark clouds rolled in and it rained off and on for the rest of the day.
We ate at all the ala carte restaurants, liked them all but the Villa Marina was the best because we had our lobster dinners included with our Priviliege package. Otherwise there is a $40-42 surcharge. Lobster was some of the best we have ever had. Also drinks were hit and miss by the pools depending on who was bartending at the time. Since we were Privilege we tried to have our drinks made with the top shelf liquors but that mostly happened only in the Privilege lounge and not at the pool bars unless you physically got your drinks. Every day we stayed by the Privilige pool and beach where there are waiters walking around getting your drinks. The Privilege lounge was great. Had breakfast there 4 mornings. Service was mostly good, had one very slow morning. Breakfast was always hot and there were enough selections to keep us happy. Lounge also had snacks and appetizers thoughout the day. Great bathrooms to use, lounge area, free internet. I also asked the Privilege hostess about buying the mouse pad used in the lounge with the Ocean hotels on it and she brought be a brand new one free of charge. Could get anything you wanted to drink at this lounge and all the liquors were top shelf but you had to ask because they kept the cheaper liqour under the bar counters. No problems giving us anything we wanted. Privilege beach area is roped off, has lounge beds, beach huts and you are given a plastic bucket with iced water bottles. Waiters go up and down the Privilege beach area taking your drink orders.

On Friday night the outside vendors came in with all their wares and there is no need to venture out because they had a great selection of merchandise if you are interested in buying something to take home.

As for all the complaints listed about this hotel I wonder if people are at the same resort. Yes, in the morning there is seaweed on the beach but a big tractor comes along and sweeps it up. Only seaweed left is what is natural in the ocean. I did have to get up and get to the pool by the Privilege lounge to get our favorite loungers. Put pool towels on the chairs like everyone else. No one ever removed them and they were there waiting for us after breakfast. The buffets are NOT repetitious other than maybe breakfast. Each day the buffets had different foods for lunch and dinner. At night there was always a theme for the dinner buffet. We have no complaints about a thing. It was also kind of surprising that you could not get a drink in the restaurants other than beer or wine. You had to bring a drink with you if you wanted a drink in the restaurants. When we stayed in Punta Cana drinks were offered in all the restaurants. Not a big deal. You could drink all you wanted before and after dinner. Loved the after dinner coffees in the Lobby bar area. Large lobby with lots of seating and a beautiful outside patio with tables, loungers, etc. We thought the hotel lobby was kind of plain compared to the Majestic in Punta Cana. There were no flowers arrangements and you couldn't sit at the lobby bar because there are no bar stools. It was hard to and meet other people if you are there alone as a couple. This would not keep us from coming back because of the ease we had getting to the resort, in and out of the airport compared with Punta Cana where leaving the country to go back home was chaos. Also we tipped $1 to bar/beach waiters and a little more in the ala carte restaurants. Also tipped hotel maids. We saw very few people tipping but thought the hotel staff was excellent and deserved to be tipped. Took $150 in dollars to tip and came home with a lot left. The entire staff always had an ola and a smile. The people we thought are the problem were the guests at the hotel. Most did not acknowledge a smile or a good morning if you directed one at them. Took a walk down the beach, looked at other hotels and we think we made a great choice. Also, we did not make it to any of the shows. After being in the sun all day, drinking, eating we were too tired to make it to a 9:30 or 10:30 show. We did not see a bug one in our room so the complaints about bugs were not an issue for us. Maybe the closer your room is to the ocean the less bugs you have because rooms are not in a vegetation area which some of the rooms at the resort are. Trip was way too short.

2 Thank czechred
Fort Wort, Texas
Reviewed March 28, 2010

We chose this hotel as our honeymoon destination after looking into it. When we first arrived we were blown away, the resort is very very beautiful. When we arrived in our room the staff had given us champagne and strawberries, very sweet! However, after sleeping in our room overnight we began to realize we had bites all over our legs which just increased over the week. We did not go to the beach that day or the pool so we know we got it from the bed. My husband and I also became very sick the last day, we don't know if it was mold or the fact that they do not clean the glasses out properly but we felt awful!

We chose not to upgrade to privlege because we were told that when we got there we could be upgraded for $50 a night, that did not happen. The hotel rubs the privelege thing in your face beyond belief, they have their own bars, pools, they can cut in front of you in line and they can have the premium liquor that regular guests cannot. So, if you decide to stay here, DO THE PRIVELEGE!! I wish someone would have stressed that to us more. Also, do not go to the breakfast no matter what they tell you, it is a time share, we learned that the hard way!

Now, I do not like to be negative so here are some positive things. They have night activities every night ; shows, parties, etc. The bartenders at the pool bar are awesome and the night food is great! The habichi grill was my favorite and we did not even sit at the grill itself, no matter what other people say, you can see the show from the tables. The spa was awesome!! We got a couples massage and they did a great job!!

I would not recommend this again for ourselves, especially on a honeymoon, but maybe we just had awful luck. We met other couples who did not have this problem.

2 Thank brit1710
michigan
Reviewed March 27, 2010

We came to Ocean Coral to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary from Monday-Sunday and I was so excited because I had gone with my daughter to NH Riviera last year and had a great time. Within 24 hours I came down with the "Mexican bug". I was violently ill, it took 3 days to start feeling better and the rest of the vacation to get back up to 100%. If you go bring some Imodium!
My husband started feeling sick on Saturday, didn't feel well on the plane ride home on Sunday, ended up going to the doctor on Tuesday and missed three days of work.
We honestly think the glasses at the swim up bar are not cleaned with purified water, never saw the bartenders wash their hands, but we don't know that for sure...... All we know is that we ended up REALLY sick and we will NEVER go back!
The musty room smell? Yes it is! I had some Altoid mints that absorbed the musty smell and tasted like the musty room! Yuk! The bed cover also absorbed the musty smell......it wasn't inviting. Because I was sick I ended up being the room more than I had anticipated so I noticed more than a person should.
Our refrigerator didn't work and when the crew came in to re-stock it, they didn't seem to care. It's probably somebody else's job to tell somebody to repair it.
Service in the Sports Bar wasn't very good; it took 45 minutes to get our food. The Italian Restaurant's service was top notch, but the food wasn't so good, but remember I was still recovering from being sick so none of the food looked appetizing.
Sensai restaurant was fun because we sat around the hibachi. A shout out to Ashley & Ryan - they were on their honeymoon and didn't get sick. Make sure you ask to sit at the hibachi when you make your reservation otherwise you'll sit at a table away from the hibachi.
At the time we booked our trip it was going to cost $60/person per day to be privileged. We didn't realize we could upgrade like other people did when they arrived for $8, $15 or $20 a day. Privilege status can be negotiated.
I lost a book and went to the front desk to see if they had a lost-n-found. The first thing they asked is if I was privilege and when I said no they told me I had to go stand in a different line. I would recommend privilege status but negotiate the price - don't book it ahead of time!
But more than that I would recommend going some place else for vacation.

2 Thank vacationlover25years
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#4 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,811 reviews

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!