“Absolutely perfect vacation!”

Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 1, 2009

General impression :

Our trip was just great. We read the reviews on this website before going (we never go anywhere without checking reviews), and we expecting some below-par service/rooms/food etc... After our week there, we cannot imagine what people have to complain about. Between the 2 of us, my husband and I have travelled the entire world except Africa. That being said, this was our first all-inclusive, so we can't compare this trip to prior experiences. My husband and I were travelling with our 2 year-old daughter.

Here is my review in detail:

Hotel checkin : We booked a which automatically gave us "Priviledge" status, unbeknownst to us. When we arrived at the hotel, we were immediately taken to a seperate check-in counter, where we were the only guests checking in, so it was quick and smooth. The only "ick" was the "VIP Guest Services" invite to a "breakfast and tour" to "find out how your Priviledge status and H10 Premium Card can be used. They claim is it not a time share presentation "oh no no no, we don't do time shares here, I assure you", but we later found out that they just use a different term, but it IS a time share offer. Nevertheless. our check-in was quick and easy, and we were shown to our room, with our first drink in hand, within half an hour.

Resort : This resort is only about 1 1/2 years old. Brand new, and just spectacular. The decor is great, modern and classy. The palapas area near the swim up bar was a great highlight for us. Just an immaculately clean and well deisgned resort, marble everywhere, huge lobby, nice attention to detail everywhere.

Our Room :

We had room # 17209. It is a one bedroom suite with jaccuzi. It was very spacious, and immaculately clean. There are 2 bathrroms, one with toilet only, one with seperate bath and shower, double sinks, and seperate toilet stall. Entire bathrooms are marble, very nice and super clean. The bedroom area had a sitting area, HUGE 4 door closet, mini bar stocked with water, soft drinks ,beer, snacks and hard liquor, and flat screen TV. One end of the room has a large window that open onto the jaccuzi patio, with view directly on the beach. The other end of the bedroom has the bathroom area, separated by a window that is equiped with a blind for privacy if needed. When the blind is open, you can see the TV from the bathtub. There is even a built-in speaker in the ceiling above the tub, and the remote can be used to control the TV from the tub. Nice extra touch! The other area of the room, the "living room" is seperated from the bedroom by a wooden sliding door. That room has a pullout sofa, a desk, a dining table, a flat screen TV, coffee maker/microwave nook, and bathroom with sink and toilet only. The entire ocean facing wall of that room is one large window, with large sliding door to the patio.
The view from the patio is breathtakingly beautiful.

Service : We thought the service was perfect. The bartenders were always happy, smilling and talkative, making SUPER yummy drinks. Try their mudslides (they call them "moodslide"), margaritas, mojitos (especially at the lobby bar), caipirinhas and pina coladas. The lobby bar was our favorite for drinks. We got great service at all restaurants, our room was always cleaned early in the day execept the 1 st day, and after I called to ask that it be cleaned early in the day, we never had problems again. One staff member even did a special trip to Wal Mart for us when we were running out of diapers. He lived near the store, so it was no big deal fro him,but it REALLY saved us. Those details do make a HUGE difference.

"Priviledge" status : We were treated VERY well by all staff at the resort. But I have to say that I did not see anyone being treated with less curtesy and helpfulness. We did have access to a VIP lounge that had better breakfasts, and a VIP beach area that always had chairs available and very attentive waiters, but other than that, everyone was treated well at Ocena Turquesa, from what I could tell.

Food : We tried all the restaurants at the resort. The buffet restaurant had "ok" food, with a few "wow" items everyday. Mostly international stuff, but if you stick to the local items, your chances of being wowed are higher. The Asian restaurant was good, we didnt get a seat at the tepenyaki table, but our food was still very good. The Italian is romantic and delicious. The only reataurant we went to twice is the Mexican one. Bar none, the best cuisine of the whole entire resort. Really very good food, and again great service. There were always a selection of options for my daughter, too, but she is not a very picky eater.

Babysitting/Daisy club : The daisy club is very well organized, for children 4 and over. As for the babysitting, it could use some improvement. We ran into a few problems arranging babysitting for diving trips, and one evening out. All issues were ironed out, but it was a bit annoying to have to deal with logistics problems when all we wanted to do was have an evening out, or a dive day. Again, guest services bent over backwards to accomodate our requests, and we were able to book sitters when needed.

Entertainment : There were activities every night, but we didnt get to participate much, wince we were travelling with a 2 year old who was pooped by 8pm. What we did see though was great fun. Don't miss the Mexican dance show, and the market night.

Beach : the beach was just beautiful. YES there is seaweed, you ARE in a natural setting. If you don't like seaweed, stay at the pool! The seaweed was only on the beach, mostly not in the water past the first 50 cm or so. The sand is white, fine and very soft. There are a few rocks in the water, go slowly.

Pools : Great pools. Clean and not cold, as other have complained about . My daughter could stay in the water for hours without getting the shivers. There were four pools, 2 quiet ones and 2 that had more activities. We spent time mostly at the pool near the buffet restaurant, and at the kidddie pool.

Italian travellers/entertainement staff : Many reviwers complained about the Italian travellers and entertainment staff at the resort. If you hand around in the swim-up bar pool, where the "Bravo" staff are stationned, then YES, you will see and hear alot of Italian and feel activities are not to your liking. There are 4 OTHER pools, with activities in ENGLISH, so go there!! Stop complaining and move to another pool, that simple. If you absolutely want a swim-up bar, then be prepared to hear some Italian, and don't expect the entertainment staff to chat you up, because they just don't speak English. They're not rude, just unilingual!

All in all, we thouroughly enjoyed our stay, and we cannot imagine what anyone was talking about with their various rants and complaints about bad service and food. It was spectacular, and we would recomend this resort to anyone!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank beatnoid
Write a ReviewReviews (12,058)

Reviewed April 29, 2009

Just came back from here for a 5 day 4 night bachlorette party trip, I guess it all depends on who you go with, but I went with a fun crowd so it was a fun trip! The hotel itself was nice, I felt safe walking to my room alone and such, everything was really clean and the pools were very nice, there is one waitress at the pool named Dalia that was the absolute best! She never let our glass go empty! The food was average but to tell you the truth couldnt eat at the italian, mexican, or fish places because at checkin they tell you that you dont need reservations when actually SURPRISE you do! So all 5 days we ate the buffet which was average food, for breakfast, twice for dinner and ate the hibachi place twice (they got us in at 9pm) so food was not the best but nothing to complain about. The beach was average---nothing special but pretty enough to dip a toe in and take a picture or two. There are these crazy "tranny" italians they hire as entertainment which was very weird, myself being italian I found this especially weird but hey they had fun and I guess take the risk of getting knocked out everytime they jump on the back of a random man.....strange. Not much nightlife, but we had fun dancing by the outside bar at night time. It was quite windy there but still got tons of sun (too much, ouch) but thats my own fault. I was very suprised the staff spoke hardly any english at all, but its new so I guess that explains it. I cant complain for 750 for 5/4 with a direct flight, I would go again in a heartbeat, but it wasnt as nice as the pictures show. Never really are though!
We were on the first floor, in room 19104 and 19106 and they were very very stuffy so if you can get on a different floor I would def do that! Our friends were on the 2nd floor and it was way better as far as view, and breathing. Ok thats all I got, If you can get it cheap Id say go for it. The worst part of the whole trip was the 2 hour line at customs, but thats part of the fun right! (and noone in my group got the swine flu!)

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank giazma
Reviewed April 29, 2009

I went to the Riviera Maya on short notice and reserved this hotel through a travel agent. I will say it was a beautiful hotel, very clean, excellent service, nice staff. Being that I was travelling alone, having an all inclusive is nice however, since this is on the Riviera Maya, you are beholden to what's on the resort since there's nothing else in close proximity (you would need to take a cab to Cancun or reserve a tour). Besides that, the beach was fabulous, very clean and it was great to have actual bar service while on the beach. The pools did get very crowded by early morning so I never had an opportunity to enjoy them. With the beach right there, it helped. However, if this wasn't the case, I would have been pretty disappointed. There were alot of families but it definitely was not a problem. I do think that they could work on upgrading their resorts activities and entertainment however, other all inclusives I have visited seem to encourage people to participate but this resort was very low key about. However, this may appeal to some. For someone who's solo, not so much. However, this was my first trip to Riviera Maya and I would definitely return, but I would probably come with family or friends if I return to the Ocean Coral and Turquesa. And yes, he food was very good, enjoyed the Japanese Restaurant the best (go figure!) Oh, and yes, watch out for the shower! Don't forget to put that towel down! :-)

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank SpelmanGT
Reviewed April 27, 2009

I travel every year to different places and this one was BY FAR the best. There wasnt a time that i was not enjoying my self. The food was great and the rooms were beautiful. Everything was brand new. Also they had a great entertainment staff, best I ever experienced. Highly recommend this great place!
The one and only Corey from NEW YORK!

• Stayed: February 2009
1  Thank ckep034
Reviewed April 26, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Ocean Coral & Turquesa from March 15-22. Our first impression was very good. We didn't arrive at the hotel until about 9 pm. We were checked in, and a security guard (who could obviously tell we were lost) showed us to our room. We had a pleasant meal, (although very limited after 10pm) and spent the evening in the lobby bar. It was a good first night.

The second day, we went to get a couples massage. I caution you, if you bring your teenaged daughters do NOT allow them to get massages without you being present.
I had a very bad experience, and when I tried to take action on this, the staff at the hotel (especially the spa manager!) were rude, accusatory, and threatening.

So, if my review is slanted, I do apologize. There's a reason that I waited for a month after returning home to write the review.

The restaurants aren't great. The food is cold at all times of the day. And sometimes, it just tastes a little off.

The service at the bars and the restuarants is SLOW!!! We started off the week tipping, and realized that it wasn't changing anything. Don't bother tipping. It won't help that day, and even though you'll have the same wait staff the next day, they won't remember you.

The bartenders are RUDE. Don't bother tipping them either. It doesn't make them anymore friendly.

I am an early riser, like to enjoy my coffee and read in the morning while my husband sleeps late. The first two days, there was coffee stocked in the room. After this, I asked the front desk, housekeeping, room service. "10 minutes, we'll bring some to your room." This was Tuesday. I finally got coffee in my room on Saturday.

No issues with theft, I thought that the housekeeping staff and the groundskeepers were the only employees at the hotel that were worth anything that they were being paid.

Our room was on the 4th floor overlooking the quiet pool, and our room was good.

The pool bar- don't waste your time unless you speak fluent Italian.

We will be going back to Mexico. Most likely back to Riviera Maya. But, we will never step foot in an H10 hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jk8009
Reviewed April 26, 2009

We were a group of 7 - including 2 kids - and went over Easter break. Here it is in a nutshell:
*First to be dropped off the bus from the airport - last to be picked up - max. 20min.
*Super easy at check -in- no trouble. Do take note - they will give you a free gift - which is their opportunity to buy a membership to their hotel chain. We didn't even go and pick the gift up - so avoided the whole process. No problem with that either.
*Rooms are huge - with the largest deck we have had - about 10ft x 10ft. Full jetted bathtub - shower, etc. We even had a sofa-bed which was nice.
*4 pools -one for little kids by the beach club, a larger main one with english entertainment team, 3rd with Italian entertainment team, and 4th in the high end part - but we still had full access too. All had a snack bar/drinks available, or restaurants.
*A - la cartes were great - and no matter if you have gotten away with it before, 2 of the 4 here REQUIRE long pants for the men - no exceptions. (they can be jeans though)
Extra bonuses for eating - awesome coffee shop, great sports bar/restaurant - and didn't even make it to the creperie - not enough time.
*Chairs filled up by the pool / beach well before 9am - but keep in mind we were trying to get 4's or 6's together. Very difficult to get a palapa on the beach if you don't go down by 8:30am
*Bathrooms are around - you just have to ask - everything is motion sensor - which is really nice!
*This is by far the best food we have had of any resort - and have been going for years.
* You can walk to Puerto Morelos - its a 45min walk - nice litte town to cheque out with a little grocery store.
*Beach is nice. They clean it everyday with a tractor - nothing wrong with it.
*We did not attend any shows - chose to hang out in the lobby and play cards and stuff -
They even set up a screen and someone hooked their laptop up to watch NHL playoffs while we there.
This is by far the nicest, cleanest and has the best food of anywhere we have stayed.
On a final note - we booked a day trip with "EDVENTURE TOURS" (yes with an E) and it WAS THE ABSOLUTE BEST DAY OF ANY OF OUR TIME SPENT IN MEXICO. They picked us up at our hotel, we had a private tour (the 7 of us) we toured Tulum, snorkeled in a cenote, ziplined, cliff jumped, snorkeled in a tropical fish stocked lagoon, ate lunch on a beautiful beach, and swam with sea turtles, the entire time having our pics taken with an underwater digital camera by the owner - all for around $99 US each. You will not have a better day or a better tour - I swear it! Check them out online - and the $40 deposit is totally on the up and up (oh, the price also included all your admissions to any parks and all your equipment you need for the day too!- and he sells the biodegrable sunscreen for $10 US at his shop - we never found it cheaper than $17US anywhere else) AMAZING!!!!!
Thats it -
If you can't be happy here, you shouldn't be going anywhere -

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank Havekidswilltravel71

Here's what we liked:
Very friendly staff, extremely clean beautiful hotel (rooms, lobbies, etc), good restaurants that don't require reservations, privilege upgrade was cheap and gets you top shelf liquor, access to a nice quiet lounge w/ free internet and a nice little buffet, only about 15 min from airport, good deals at spa, hotel discourages chair saving in the morning- we always were able to find chairs w/ umbrellas and a table without having to get up a 7 am to save them, cheap big gift shop w/ lots of stuff not just souvenirs, soft beds in Mexico wow didn't think that was possible
Here's what we didn't like:
Time share sell- we sat through it just to get $100 is was okay until the end when we said no, they just wouldn't stop, we finally got up and said we're leaving and then they stopped. Booked Privilege Juinor Suite w/ 1 King bed got two doubles. Asked for king bed they said we could move but would not be the Privilege room. Not much to do (day or night) Seemed to me that the activity staff spoke every langauge except English, and there wasn't many activities to begin with. NIghtly entertainment was lacking, no dance club, theaters were hot and crowded, on our last day a guy from housekeeping, that could barely speak English, came by at 8am asking (I think) if we were ready to check out so they could clean the room, I told him no we're still sleeping and we're checking out at noon. He came back in an hour my wife was still asleep, I told him we were not ready, he asked if we needed a bell boy I said no, he said he would come back. When my wife got up we packed and then went to breakfast when we came back our luggage was gone and so was a my hat and sunglasses. A bell boy had come to our room took the luggage to the lobby (and I think stole my hat and glases). So we went ahead and checked out, I told them about my missing things and to their credit they did look into it and made and effort to find them. But still hated that I got stole from.
In conclusion very nice place the good far outweighs the bad. Its such a good price for what you get. Would go back.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Excellence Riviera Cancun
Excellence Riviera Cancun
#2 of 28 in Puerto Morelos
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!