“Better than expected”

Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 7, 2014

This resort was better than expected. The overall facility was very well kept with the grounds extremely manicured and the rooms clean and pleasant. The staff was very friendly and made sure you felt welcomed and wanted. I read some of the complaints on this site and felt most were unwarranted. The beach and ocean was clean and clear. The small amount of sea grass in the ocean and on the beach was not what some led it to believe it would be. The beach was cleaned up regularly and the ocean was filled with seaweed. We found the ocean to be refreshing and clean and spent the majority of the time on the beach and in the ocean. The rooms were clean and comfortable; not musty and dank. The decor and furnishings were a little dated and worn (the pull out sofa to be exact) but that is expected at a resort where children are welcomed causing these to be used more than an adults only location). The bar service was great and although limited in beer selection, the liquor was name brand and the pours were generous; not watered down as some complaints suggested. The food was average to good and all of the restaurants were available with little to no waiting. Our room was secure and the cleaning staff was very attentive. If you happen to have left out a valuable item a note was placed next to that item to make you aware to lock it up in the safe. If you take the key with you then you would not have had an issue. Overall the resort better than expected and I would recommend this to couples and families with children or to couples alone.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Patrick O
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Dear Patrick O,
With reward we learn that you found your experience at our resort satisfactory and that your expectations were exceeded by our facilities, personnel and offer. We are glad to learn that you had such a great time with us. We extend our gratitude for taking the time to share your opinion and for recommending our resort to the users of this site. We hope to host your next vacations in a near future.
Warm regards,
The Ocean Coral & Turquesa Management

Write a ReviewReviews (11,808)

Reviewed July 7, 2014

I have to be honest – this hotel sits at the beginning of the reef, which dams up the flow of deep-cool-blue water flowing toward shore. The result: a pool of brown, hot, seaweed-filled mess that’s barely swim worthy. If you are a regular Caribbean All-Inclusive customer or if clear blue water is a must -- this 3-mile section of beach north of Puerto Morales is brown water. BE WARNED!

Water aside, this hotel has management problems. They have NO RESERVATION SYSTEM for dinner! The result of this laziness is a major in inconvenience to the customer. Everyone has to get out of the pool at 5pm, go bath, then stand in long lines (in the heat) for restaurants because there is a first come, first served policy on seating. And… there IS NO GUARANTEE you will get into the restaurant to eat after you do all this waiting. I was 3rd in line and had a group of 10 and a group of 20 in front of me and they got the thirty seats for the 6pm seating – which is the only time the restaurant allows kids to dine there. It is way too much work to do EVERY DAY to get a dinner reservation at a nice place and stay out of the buffet. After 5 days, I was exhausted fighting the lines. I will NOT GO BACK!! Long, hot lines are not the way I want to spend my vacation. I suspect the privilege section has a reservation system, and if they do, it’s just lazy to not do it for the rest of the people spending their money.

I had several hotel employees who told me they are going to do something for my group – but it never happened! We requested a refrigerator to be repaired or replaced and they said sure – it took me 3 days (asking twice a day) and then finally looking a desk clerk in the eye and saying “replace it now, no arguments, replace it - right now.” Each day, I asked the grill restaurant (by the pool) to refill the sanitizer at hostess check in podium. Hostess said she would, bartender said he would, but it never got filled. When, and IF you go, see if they have filled it yet! If they haven’t, I’m sure they will tell you they will get right on it!

I have been to Riviera Maya 8 times or so – and it is my opinion that this hotel doesn’t have a general sense of customer service. Certain individuals are trying, but most are not. The chefs are doing a great job; the food is great, but the service, not so much. It has to be a management problem. The top guy is not walking around and taking a hands-on approach and so he doesn’t know this resort is run so inefficiently. Also, with most resorts, you see the top managers walking around and making themselves available to the crowds, but not here. Never saw them! Case-in-point: Pool hut is all the way to one side – the 1-4 buildings have to walk over to the other side of the resorts for towels. They have a pool hut for the 1-4 buildings, but it sits empty and the customer has to walk a good 10 minutes over and 10 minutes back to get a towel, IF – they have towels at the hut. 586 rooms, 4 pools, 1 towel hut, and its NOT in the middle of the resort! Do the math – a walk to get and a walk to return, for a 7 day stay is 14 trips of about 15 minutes = 210 minutes. Again, they have a towel hut on the opposite side – sitting empty. That’s just lazy! Bacon is undercooked every morning at the buffet; water temperature in shower goes from hot to cold and back 5-7 times per shower; and Andreas at the towel hut has no concept of how to treat a customer with respect, yet he runs the show!

Again, I believe the problem is a resort that is poorly managed and poorly run and NEVER AGAIN from this seasoned AI traveler! HERES THE BEST ADVICE I CAN GIVE: Look at the customer photos - the water is brown. Then, if you look at the airbrushed photo the hotel uses in their ads, with blue water in it – that tells you all you need to know – thousands of customer pics versus their 1 pic.

Room Tip: Building 12 is closer to everything
3  Thank AcePreacher
Reviewed July 7, 2014

This is going to be a long, yet detailed review. I will start by saying this is the second time we have stayed at this resort. The first was five years ago.

Travel dates: June 24-July 1

My husband and I decided to return to Ocean Coral & Turquesa to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary and we decided to bring our children along to celebrate our daughters 17th birthday. This was the first time out of the country for both of our children.

After landing in Cancun and clearing customs, we gathered our luggage and found our transfer waiting for us outside. A very nice man loaded up our bags and took us straight to the resort. The main road past the zoo leading to the resort has been repaired and is very smooth. The short road that leads straight to the resort has not been repaired and is very bumpy, but the drivers are very aware of the huge pot holes and try to avoid them the best they can.

Upon arrival, we were greeted with a refreshing welcome drink while we stood in line to check in. We arrived around 1pm and check in isn’t until after 3pm. Our luggage was held for us and we were invited to enjoy the resort at our leisure until our room was ready.

Rooms:
Let me say first that we were not “privileged” but did pay extra for a top floor with an ocean view. Our room was ready a little before 3pm. We followed the bell boy to our room. We were put in room 10308. Not exactly where I would’ve liked to be, considering our view was mostly the palm tree tops of the resort before the pool and not much of an “ocean view” or top floor that we paid for. The room was spotless clean and just as cute as I remembered it from last time. The furnishings are modern as well as the paint. The beds are firm and there were only two top sheets with a thin blanket in between for covers; however this worked, as it was never “cold” at night. The sofa does make out to a bed, but only had the two sheets for covers, no blanket in between. This was a bit chilly in the middle of the night. Our minifridge never got to the cold point, or even what I would call cool. We tried to address this issue more than once and nothing was ever done about it. We also requested a dehumidifier for the room, and were told we would have on delivered when it was available. We never received one. Our shower leaked into the toilet area like others have stated, but we just dealt with it and put towels down. These little things about the room were just that, little things. We dealt with them and went on.

Beach:
The water here is not that clear. It is more murky and there is sea grass that washes up on shore, but a tractor that combs through it daily. There is also no dock.

Restaurants/Food/Drinks:
You can no longer make reservations for the restaurants, unless you are privileged. Five years ago, anyone could make dinner reservations, now you show up about 5:30, stand in line and hope to be one of the first on the list. We ate at all of the restaurants except La Petite Crepery and Blue Moon. Here is my break down…
International Buffet: It’s a buffet. Has a wide selection of salads, hot foods and deserts. Some good, some not so good. There is a different theme each night and they decorate for each one. They food varies for each theme. Breakfast is pretty good. Better than what it was last time we were here. Lunch is pretty much basic lunch food. It’s a hot meal during lunch time .
Mexican: Very good. Pretty basic Mexican menu. One thing they used to have and no longer do is chocolate cake. Not sure why they removed this from the menu, as it had rave reviews and was by far the best dessert on the entire resort.
Japanese: Very good. Even better if you can get the chance to sit at the hibachi grill and see the show, unfortunally, this is going to be hard to do, unless you are privilege and get the chance to make a reservation. Also, children under 16 are only allowed at the 6:00 time spot for the hibachi.
Route 66: Good American menu. This was a welcoming flavor to us after having the other food all week. They serve typical American food; hamburgers, chicken fingers, steak, etc.
Italian: Let me start by saying that the presentation of the food and the service are top notch! Most dishes are cooked table side, making for a great show. That being said, that is where the greatness of this restaurant stopped with us. We are all used to American Italian food, like The Olive Garden for example. This is NOT American Italian food!! I have never been to Italy or had food cooked with the type of ingredients our meals were cooked with. We were NOT a fan!! This was by far the worst meal any of us had consumed all week!!
Open air grill: Food was pretty good. Service was good. Was nice to sit “open air” pool side for dinner. There is a steak on the menu that is not an “up charge”, so why anyone would order anything else is beyond me. It’s very tasty!
Mikes Coffee Shop: Very cute and the coffee drinks were good. This is not Starbucks, but they try very hard to accommodate each guest. There were Danishes and muffins for the morning, grab and go sandwiches for lunch and desserts for after dinner. Very cute place!
Lobby Bar: Always made great drinks. The strongest drinks in our opinion and coffee/hot tea in the mornings. Fun staff!
Quiet pool bar/snack bar: Decent drinks, not very strong unless you ask for a double. Food was usually the same everyday for lunch: hamburgers, fries, rice, fajita meat, nachos, fresh fruit, and desserts. This got very old after day 3.
Swim up pool bar: Decent drinks, friendly service.
Room Service: Small but consistent menu. Served daily from 11-11.
Beach service: There was a young lady what was working very hard and all alone each day. She did the best she possibly could to accommodate everyone in a timely manner.

FYI: This resort is no longer contracted with Coke Cola. Soft drinks are now Pepsi products.

BEWARE!!! There will be Spa reps that will approach you while you are relaxing by the pool sides. If you agree to one of their “promotions” you are obligated to go or you will have to pay half of the price whether or not you try to cancel. I say “try to cancel” because they will NOT allow you to do so!! The “special” we were offered was a couples massage for 50 min. for $180usd… this is NOT a good price!! I did however agree to do it and then later changed my mind as we wanted to use the remaining of our funds for other things. I went to the front desk to cancel, as they say you cannot call to cancel, and they called the spa for me. I was quickly told there was NO cancellation policy and I should have been told this before signing, which I was NOT!! They tried their best to “give me another time” and after I told them I just couldn’t do it due to lack of funds, they hung up on me!! At check out, they attached the bill to our room and weren’t going to allow up a “check out pass” until we paid the bill, even though we did not have the service! My husband was once again handed the phone that rang to the spa and was given the run around and was yet again told we would not be able to check out until the bill was paid. After a small heated conversation, the front desk clerk spoke to them and we were granted our check out pass without paying for the massage. Point being…. DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING OR YOU WILL BE OBLIGATED TO PAY REGUARDLESS!!! The front desk told us the spa is not part of the resort and they are known for this poor customer service, which in return, makes the resort look bad.

To sum up this review… We had a fun time on vacation, however, we will not be returning to OC&T. In the future, we will look for a resort with better food, less add on’s, a better beach and where everyone is able to make reservations, regardless of their status.

5  Thank my2cutekidz
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

I went on a sister trip w my two sisters! It was one of the beat trip by far! Awesome people with lots of talent that helps the stay super fun and entertaining! Dam, julio, and danny are super awesome! Made the stay super fun. These guys are so talented! Staff and crew are so friendly and nice.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Ocean Coral was a nice place for families. There are those w regular all inclusive wrist band and those that are 'privileged'. Privileged guests have access to another social room, restaurant, beach and top shelf alcohol. They also can get into a la carte restaurants without having to make a reservation. The resort is big but good for families. We have been guests here twice, both times w our child. There are 3 pools, one huge pool more for families, one loud pool w a swim up bar, loud music, and cheesy pool drinking games, and one quiet pool. Food is ok, typical all inclusive resort food for the masses. Our fave restaurant was the hibachi and Italian restaurant. One really nice spot is the crepery by the quit pool. Delicious crepes- worth a nightly stop. 24 hr room service is nice. Nightly entertainment in the little, poorly ventilated theatre was less than average. Wouldn't waste your time. Bring plenty of one dollar bills to tip for better pool side service.
There are lots of restaurant choices- all spread out throughout the large property.

Room Tip: All rooms are spread out throughout the property. I would request a room away from the theatre. Show...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Susan P
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Dear Susan P,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review about your vacations at our resort. It is good to learn that you had a nice experience and that you enjoyed with our offer and facilities. Please let us enlighten that our theater was renovated last year, nevertheless we are working in some improvements regarding the A/C to enhance the experience of our guests. We want to restate our gratitude for choosing our resort for your vacations. We look forward your next stay with us.
Bests,

Reviewed July 5, 2014

We spent an amazing 10 days for our 20th Anniversary. Having our dinner on the beach was the highlight....thank you Sandra for all your help for making our day so special. The staff are amazing, food was great, rooms were spacious and clean. Overall the resort is a wonderful stay. Date stayed June 23 to July 3 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cheryl S

Dear Cheryl S,
We want to express our gratitude for choosing our resort for the celebration of your 20th wedding anniversary. It is rewarding to learn that you truly appreciated the arrangements made by Sandra from our Guest Service department in order to provide you with a wonderful experience. We will be more than glad to share your comments with her. We also want to thank you for the compliments you have made to our resort and for taking the time to post your review at this site. We are looking forward your next visit.
Best regards,

Reviewed July 5, 2014

Although there were several challenges that this hotel faces in order to make it even better -- the hotel is not prepared to have beds for toddlers (and some of the staff were negligent in their thinking that it would be perfectly alright to put them in a foldout couch with hard tile floors beneath them); nor was the food spectacular even in the ala carte restaurants -- there were equally if not more positive attributes that I found pleasing. If you are going look for the bartender by the kids pool Fransisco - he is an exceptional bartender, very engaging and truly a welcoming presence on a day-to-day basis (he took the time to get to know my 2-year olds name and asked about him everyday we were there). Another staff member who really needs to be recognized was Carlos, the manager of the morning buffet restaurant/manager of the outdoor grill by the main pool/and overall incredible worker (he puts in around 15-17 hours a day)

The person who stands out to me the most is Kenya Quijano, hostess of the morning and afternoon buffet. She is incredibly warm, personable and friendly. She went above and beyond every day to make sure that my family and I were taken care of. She greeted us with a smile and always had a polite greeting to welcome us. Kenya, along with Merry and Genny are three of the most friendly people who truly went out of their way to make sure that my family and I had a great time. I highly recommend taking the time to get to know them.

I would go back to the Ocean Coral and Turquesa just to see Fransisco, Carlos and Kenya.

3  Thank VDeery

Dear VDeery,
We want to express our gratitude for choosing our resort for your last vacations. We would like to express our gratitude for taking the time to mention the members of our staff that stood out during your vacations and really improve your experience while staying with us. Be sure that Francisco, Carlos and Kenya will be informed about your kind note at this site. We also like to thank you for taking the time to pointing us out the aspects that need our attention, which will be analyzed by the pertinent departments in order to correct them. It is good to learn that despite those areas of improvement, you were satisfied with the hotel in general and we were able to provide you with a nice vacation. Thank you for posting your review on this site. We look forward to host your next vacations.
Kind regards,

#2 of 28 in Puerto Morelos
Grand Residences Riviera Cancun
Grand Residences Riviera Cancun
#1 of 28 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!