“Sit down, relax and have a drink :-)”

Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Trinidad and Tobago
“Sit down, relax and have a drink :-)”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

To make a long story short (and save your time):

- check in time officialy at 15 (but ask earlier or just relax with few drinks)

- don't be scared about the "sophisticated" room numbers - stay calm and take a look at the plan or just follow any of the very helpful stuff (have some tip ready because they really deserve it)

- ROOM (at the ground floor - numer 14106) - very clean, quite dark, very humid
If you fancy coffee in your room - don't use the tap water, use the bottled one (even though I heard they have their own filtration system in the resort)

- SLEEP - nice beds but huge pillows (I ended up with neck pain) without any smaller spare ones, in my room it was quiet during the night (unless you are crazy enough to turn on the aircon which sounds more like a jet starting his engines than anything else)
I have to warn you - legion of mosquitos was waiting for my blood everyday behind the terrace window - brrr!

- FOOD huuuuge variety, but for me sometimes too blunt and sometimes too cold (especially lunches)
Breakfast are in one place (unless I missed something) and its in the "french restaurant"
You can have your dinner every night in a different restaurant but for most of them you need to make a reservation before.

- DRINKS (alcohol ones if anybody has doubts ;-) ) - I have no idea what was the secret ingredient that made all the drinks unmercifully sweet; after 2 days of colourful 25 tablespoons of "pinacolada sugar" and 25 tablespoons of "mohito sugar" I continued with gin& tonic and coke & whiskey for the rest of the stay

- ALL THE RESORT - neat, clean, renovated on daily basis almost,full of greenery, well organised, the stuff is helpful and I could even say "humble" (asked for sticking plaster at the reception and there was no problem) . The only problem could be the fact that we are in an isolated location (not counting the fishing village 1 h by beach), so any trip has to be planned with a car/taxi/bus.

- FOR THE PARTY ANIMALS - don't count on much - the music stops at 12:30 (not suprised as there are some rooms nearby the pool with disco)

To sum up: despite the small inconveniences I described, I had a great time there and I'm not disappointed.

If you have any further questions don't hesitate asking.

Room Tip: my room 14106 (look up for the description)
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Szmaragdowa
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear Szmaragdowa,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and for pointing us out some aspects of your stay that need our attention in order to improve the experience of our valuable guests. Furthermore, we are glad to learn that above the small inconveniences you encountered, you had a satisfactory experience and a good time while staying with us. We want to express our gratitude for posting your review on this site. We look forward to host you in the future.
Best regards,
The Ocean Coral & Turquesa Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,520)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We were at Ocean Coral & Turquesa the 2nd week of January, 2014. My daughter and new son-in-law were married there. We had 56 guests attend and we were very happy with the resort. I've been to quite a few all-inclusives in Mexico and I thought this one had the best food choices of any I have been to. The restaurants were very good. The weather was not the best the week we were there but the day of the wedding it was gorgeous. The wedding coordinator did a great job following every detail that my daughter wanted. It was exactly what she wanted and even more. I think everyone that attended had a great time. I can't think of anything I would complain about. The staff was very attentive, the restaurants were great and the room was certainly adequate. Well, there is one thing...seriously, fix that road!

1 Thank Zebeth
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Dear Zebeth,
We are glad to learn that our resort was able to provide you with an amazing experience and that your daughter’s wedding at our resort was a memorable experience for her and all your family. Be sure that the entirety of the members of our staff worked really hard in order to make this event happen. We truly appreciate your compliments to our resort and our performance. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the future, and also, to host your daughter’s wedding anniversary.
Best regards,
Pickering, Canada
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Just returned from Oceon Coral and we all enjoyed our stay. It is a beautiful,clean resort with very friendly staff. The rooms were spacious and clean and the view from our oceon view was spectacular! If anyone cant find something to eat it is their own fault because it was plentiful and tasty!!!! My grandsons loved the food and the pools. The entertainment staff did a great job and there was always plenty to keep you entertained. It has a beautiful lobby with so much outdoor seating which we all liked! The grounds are lovely and the beach sand is white and soft. Yes there is seaweed but they do their best to keep it clean.There is a bumpy road in but they were working at it while we were there and it really was not as bad as some people said! Bottom line is........We loved it and would return again! Thank you Oceon Coral and Turquesa for a great vacation in Mexico!!

Room Tip: We had an oceon view room on the top floor of building four and we loved it. You coule see the cruis...
2 Thank diamondgirl613
Dear diamondgirl613,
It is rewarding for us to learn that your stay at OCT was totally satisfactory and that you and your family really enjoyed our activities, services, facilities and gastronomic offer. Thank you for choosing OCT for your last vacations and for posting your review on this site. We hope to host your next vacations soon.
Kind regards,
Wind Lake, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 31, 2014

First time staying at this resort, great room and views of the ocean, beautiful beach and pool areas. We never had aproblem finding a seat at the pools. All of the employees, from the people at the front desk, to the bartenders and maid service, were great. We had a tour of the huge kitchen facilities, (it's spotless, you could eat off the floor), had a delicious steak and lobster dinner with Chef Jorge in the kitchen. The food at every restaurant was just fantastic. We would go back in a heartbeat!!!

Room Tip: South end of resort has a great view of the ocean and jungle area from upper floors.
2 Thank Gary R
Dear Gary R,
It is good to learn that you were delighted with the exquisite creations of Sous Chef Jorge Tec at the Chef's Table dinner and also that you appreciated the beauty of our facilities and the good service provided by our staff. We are thankful for your taking the time to post your kind comments about your first experience at our resort on this site. We are looking forward your next visit.
Bests,
The Ocean Coral & Turquesa Management Team.
Watersmeet, Michigan
Reviewed January 31, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this resort from Jan 19-29. We purchased the privilege upgrade and we are glad we did. Let me begin my saying there are many complainers in these reviews and I have to disagree with most of what they complain about.

First, the ride from the airport took about 25 minutes. The road leading in is in poor shape but they are working on it and our driver was able to take it easy. Not a problem. Our check in was quick and we were offered a cold towel and a drink. It was obvious from the beginning that the staff was eager to make sure our needs were met.

The room was spacious and we had a Jacuzzi on the deck. Our view of the ocean was limited but the gardens are very nice as well. The room was cleaned to perfection each day, usually in the morning but sometimes in the afternoon. The housekeeping crew works very hard and had a smile and friendly greeting each time we ran into them.

There are enough restaurants on the property to make even the biggest food snob happy. We tried them all and did not have a bad meal at any of them. The buffets were good and the ala carte restaurants always presented gourmet meals. As a privilege guest, we had access to the privilege lounge which served breakfast, lunch and dinner. The lounge also has a bar for cocktails and computers for the guests use. This location was always a quiet refuge with excellent food and service. A special thanks to Miguel and Blanca in the lounge for their attentive service and friendliness.

The beach is great. The sand is very soft and as mentioned before, the seaweed is cleaned up several times a day. Beach vendors are not a problem. They walk past, displaying their wares. If they address you at all, a polite "no thanks" is all that is needed. They are not pushy. The privilege section of the beach has cushioned beach chairs and there were always more than enough to pick from. Blanca the beach waitress kept us supplied with drinks and water and she works very hard. The beach concierge (didn't get his name) came by with cold towels and cups of fresh fruit. We were definitely pampered.

The pools (there are four) are beautiful. Unfortunately, at this time of year they are chilly and didn't get used much even though the temps got up to 75-80 during the day. We also found that we could always get chairs by the quiet pool. Some got saved by early risers, but not all. As on the beach, there were drink servers by the pool willing to keep your glass full of whatever you wanted.

The lobby and grounds are spotless and beautiful. There are covered walkways between the buildings to keep you dry if it rains. As privilege guests, we also had butler services. We didn't use the service but our butler, Rafael contacted us each day, either in person or on the phone to make sure we had everything we needed. He looked us up on our last day to make sure we enjoyed our time here and to wish us safe travels.

I am a scuba diver and made six dives (reasonably priced) at the Dive It center on the property. the dive instructors, Fernando and Ivan are professional and safe. The reefs are vibrant and teeming with much marine life which Ivan and Fernando will point out to divers. The dives were long and leisurely and the instructors took the time to remember my name and greet me when we saw each other on the property.

This was our first trip to Mexico. We have travelled to other Caribbean destinations (usually Sandals) over the last several years. The services and amenities at Ocean Coral take a second place to no one and the cost is almost half of where we usually stay. We will be returning to Mexico in the future, very possibly to this hotel. If I were a whining nit picker, I could probably come up with some kind of complaint....maybe.

Dean S.
Michigan

Room Tip: Upgrading to privilege was worth the price. This allows you to secure reservations at any restauran...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Dean S
Dear Dean S,
We are glad to read that you chose our resort for your first visit to our beautiful country. Is it rewarding to learn that our Privilege services and facilities exceeded your expectations and that your entire experience was satisfactory. We want to extend our gratitude for your kind comments regarding our resort and for taking the time to post your opinion about it. Be sure that we will be pleased to welcome you one once again to this, your home, on your next visit to Mexico.
Warm regards,
Rogers, Arkansas
Reviewed January 30, 2014

My wife and I traveled to Ocean Coral & Turquesa during the first 2 weeks of December 2013. You can only do Trip Advisor once every 3 months on the same hotel so that is the reason for this delay. We had previously stayed at OC&T during the month of October 2013. My point in saying this is that we frequent this resort quite often. I feel like at times I am redundant in my postings as every experience at this resort is top-notch.

First, yes the road to the resort is not very good and bumpy. No fault of the resort however, all of the resorts that use the road are going to (if they haven't yet) work together to get this issue fixed. Remember, you are in Mexico and situated near mangroves and other natural bodies of water which flow freely. If this is something that might ruin your vacation or you have a big issue with bumpy roads than you probably shouldn't leave your house!! This is Mexico and it is really a beautiful area.

We are vacation owners with the H10 Hotels and love it!! That is why we come here so often. First, when we check in we are usually met by 3 of the sweetest caring young ladies that OC&T could find. Luckily the manager we tend to converse with (Alejandro Franks) understands good customer service and strategically places these ladies where they belong, interacting with the customer. If you go to the resort, look for Saskia at the front Privilege desk or look for Adriana either at the front desk or at the Privilege lounge. Also, Veronica who works at the desk at the lounge always has a smile and willing to assist. I feel like the characters in "Cheers" because this is where everyone knows your name:) All three of these ladies do an excellent job taking care of us and if you see this "Hola"!

Our room as usual was excellent! It was on the first floor near the "quiet" pool in bldg. #1. Our maid did a wonderful job keeping it clean. It was also well stocked. I think that most posts you read about this resort clearly show 9-10 times that the rooms and service are excellent, so I really don't want to repeat what others have said.

We do venture around the grounds to see any changes that the hotel has done. Every time we find new improvements. I have to admit that other than going to the different restaurants that the hotel has to offer, we pretty much stay in the Privilege area. I do know that a new restaurant has opened up called the "Blue Moon" which is for couples only. I did ask management why just couples and they want to make a nice restaurant for adults to enjoy without screaming kids who's parents are on vacation and think it is ok for them to run around everyone's table screaming!! Understand, at times we do bring ours and I hope they don't bother too many people who are trying to enjoy their vacation also. I also understand for those that have visited before, the Japanese restaurant will now welcome children under the age of 14 to dine. The reason they weren't allowed was to have one restaurant that was a little quieter for those people who don't have kids.

My favorite area besides the Privilege beach and the "quiet" pool is the Privilege lounge. They make you feel like your number 1. I watch them interact with all the customers and they treat everyone the same, at least those who will interact with them and at least try to be cordial. I have seen some people who honestly embarrassed me as an American as to how they treated some of these workers and I hope Karma does come around because they deserve to see how it feels. I want to recommend that you meet some of these workers such as Eucebio, Terre, Jesus, Javier, Blanca, Sarai, Adrian, Angel and Carlos. These individuals did such a great job while we are there to ensure we have a good time. I hope I didn't forget anyone on that team but it has been a few months.

We were lucky enough to be invited to a wine pairing dinner hosted by Senor Gallegos and his crew. It was great! Not only did we enjoy great food and wine, but we also met some neat people from both the U.S and Canada. Thanks Mr. Gallegos.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention our butlers that make sure that we have everything that we need. So if you have a concierge, ask for Angel, Alexjandro and Rafael as they will make sure you have everything you need.

I wanted to mention that Ocean Coral and Turquesa is a "Green" resort and so they really try to be environmentally friendly so you may have to ask for a plastic straw but they do have them. They have a Spa area, but we have only went through a part of it to get to the gym that have. We have been there so many times that don't attend the shows at night because we have seen most of them several times and we prefer to hang out at the lounge and quietly relax which is our thing.

Please read these postings on Trip Advisor but remember that everyone has a different opinion, myself included. I think you will notice that this resort has many more excellent reviews than good, average or poor. I always ask myself what I want in a vacation. I want a nice comfortable place to sleep, good food and drinks and water whether it is the beach or pool. Yes, the ocean is not always blue and it does have grass that floats in to shore, but it is cleaned several times a day, The resort is located near a natural reef which by the way is great for snorkeling!
,Please feel free to ask me questions and I will try to answer. If you are thinking of going, let me know and I would be glad to give you some tips to make your vacation a good one. We have taken several friends to this resort and they have really enjoyed it. Several have become members and go back several times a year.

Happy Vacationing!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second or third floor as the view is great! If room smells musty (Natural for...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Mike J
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear Mike J,
We want to thank you for your kind comments about your experience at our resort and for your loyalty to H10 Hotels and H10 Premium vacation Program. With reward we learn that your last visit to our resort was satisfactory and exceed your expectations. We are glad to read that you had the opportunity to be invited to the Pairing activity with Mr. Gallegos and that you had a good time enjoying the different wines and meeting new people. Furthermore, with reward we learn how our staff improved your experience and contributed to make of your stay an excellent vacation. We truly appreciate that you took the time to post your comment on this site and for all the compliments you have made to OCT. We hope to host your next vacations soon.
Warm regards,
Jenison, Michigan
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Lots of sunshine. Beautiful beach. They rake it several times a day because the ocean brings in a lot of sea weed. We loved laying in the pergola. It had the front to close if you wanted to keep out of the sun.
We were invited to attend the head chef Alan dinner and tour of the kitchen. We had on the chef hats and coats with 10 other people. The meal was to die for. The only restaurant we didnot carefor was the steak and sea food. This is an all inclusive resort. However most of the menu was an extra charge. If you wanted wine that to was extra.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shirley K
Dear Shirley K,
Thank you for choosing our resort for your last vacation and for sharing your opinion about your stay with us. It is rewarding to read that your experience was satisfactory and that you enjoyed our facilities, offer and services. Also, that you were delighted with the exquisite creations of our Head Chef at the Chef’s Table dinner. We also like to take this opportunity to clarify that we count with the house wine that is part of the all-inclusive program, and we also count with a wine menu at all our restaurants in case that our guests requested it. The wines from this list have an extra charge, which is clearly identified in the menu. We want to express our gratitude for taking the time to post your review on this site. We look forward your next vacations at our resort.
Kind regards,
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#8 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!