“Great Resort”

Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ranked #13 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I read a lot before we booked this resort .Yes the road in is in bad shape but is to be rebuilt next year. Buffet food was nice breakfast with made to order omlettes . Some items were very cold under warming lights.Crepe limited but Luis the waiter more than made up for that.During the day you will not find a better banana Daq.Orlando was great. Route 66 was ok burgers.The new Bluemoon was by far the best food here.Rooms very clean and our mini bar was always well stocked.This was end of the rain season so the water is never clear, but is was just fine.Overall stay was great and will plan on returning.

Room Tip: Higher the room the better the view and less noise.
3  Thank MPLTravaler
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Dear mlloydtravler,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review about your experience at our resort. It is good to learn that it was satisfactory. We restate our gratitude for your choosing our resort for your vacations. We look forward your next stay with us.
Best regards,

Reviewed December 21, 2013

Rooms were really very damp and smelled of mold. A/C was very loud and inadequate. Beds were hard and unconformable. The resort is noisy with pool bar and surrounding area with booming music. Hotel was a building site with construction in some of the public areas beginning at 7 a.m. Not my idea of the relaxing vacation.

Food was average in buffet. The other restaurants - were not worth bothering about (not very nice).

Beach was dirty with plastic derbies and seaweed. Ocean access from the beech had hidden rocks and debris at waist depth.

Service was limited to restaurant attendant putting napkin on your lap. Puffing chest out, and standing with the air of self importance is not my idea of service.

Room Tip: stay as far away as possible from the central location
2  Thank seastar13
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

Dear seastar13,
Thank you for choosing our resort for your last vacation. It is with regret that we learn you did not get the Ocean Service we are used to give to all our valued guests. At Ocean Coral & Turquesa, it is our priority to exceed our guest´s expectations. We would truly appreciate if you could share your feedback to the following e-mail address: info.hpc@h10hotels.com in order to have more information about your experience. Thank you for posting your review on this site. We hope to have the opportunity to host you in the future.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

We came back for the second time this year, third time total, from December 12-19, 2013.
We absolutely love the service we get at the privilege side of the resort. We stayed in a master suite. Frankly it wasn't worth it. For the two of us, we didn't need the extra room. If you are going as a family, it would be worth it. We would have be just as happy in the normal suite that we have had before. There were actually some aspects that we liked better with the normal suite, namely the outdoor shower and whirlpool tub.
As for the good points....
Francesco and Teresa, on the beach looked after us amazingly. The dive shop was professional. The food was good. We especially enjoyed the opportunity to try out the Blue Moon restaurant on it's first night of operation. The menu was very good.
Any complaints that we could think of (eg. road to the resort), are minor and not game breakers. We like to try new places, but we will more than likely be back at some time in the future.

2  Thank DennisDiver

Dear DennisDiver,
We want to thank you for taking your time to share your opinion about our resort and also for your loyalty to OCT. With reward we learn that once again facilities, gastronomy and the friendliness of our staff meet your expectation and also, that we were able to provide you with a great vacation on your third visit to our resort. We want to thank you for choosing us once again and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

I returned recently from a 7 night stay at Ocean Coral. I was there with my girlfriend and friends for a fantastic wedding. Overall it was a pleasant stay, a solid 4 star resort.

The resort in general is average size. The grounds are well kept and it is clean. When booking make sure to keep the following in mind - building 11 and 12 are closest to the lobby and main pool. also will be more noisy late at night as disco is put on at the main pool, shows and salsa lessons. The higher number buildings (18-22) are close to the children's area which should be kept in mind if booking with small children. Rooms on the top floor are quieter. Our room was clean and was a garden view. Mattresses are quite hard so keep this in mind, although it didn't effect our sleep. I did not book a privilege room, only difference is better amenities and restaurant bookings, for a $$.

The beach is white sand and wasn't overly impressive. We may have travelled at an off time (right after a storm) as there was a lot of sea weed and such littered on the beach. Staff did the best to clean it daily but it did not help. Water was light blue but murky. If you go for crystal blue water and picturesque clean sand beaches, this won't be for you.

The pools are we spent our time. The resort consists of 4 pools - one the staff designate as the "hangover" pool. it is on one extreme of the resort, near the privilege area. It is quiet and has a small food place and bar during the day, steps away from your chair. Next the main pool, where the only swim up bar is. This is the busiest pool. Earlier bird gets the worm, which in this case is the best chairs. Next, the activity pool I will call it. This has volleyball nets, ping pong tables and lot of activities going on. Also has a swallow area for kids. On the opposite extreme the last pool, which I did not use, it is near a kids area and play structure.

Food was very good, but what was a major drawback was the variety. I have stayed in many resorts for sun holidays and this resort does very well. The resort has two buffet areas (one was closed for reno's when we were there). Very typical food you see in all resorts. Next they have the ala carte restaurants consisting of: Japanese, Italian, American, Mexican, Seafood and a place called the Crepery which makes pizzas and dessert Crepes. The Japanese has the restaurant side and the hibachi side which is where they cook in front of you and do the cooking shows with tricks. I did not eat on the restaurant side. The show side was very good food although I was hungry right afterwards as portions were quite minimal. Note: kids under 14 cannot eat here most likely for safety reasons. The Italian place was only mediocre. It has a terrace, where you can seat in a nice evening breeze and the general seating inside. Food here was good but nothing stood out. The Mexican place I thought was hands down the best. Both dishes I had were fantastic!! The wait here for large parties (5 persons +) was a little bit of a wait. The American, called Route 66, was typical diner food. I did not eat here during restaurant hours. This place is open all night from 10 pm till 6 am in the morning for the nights of partying or midnight cravings. The menu is limited consisting of burgers, pizza, fries and such. I did not try the Seafood place so I cannot comment as it was largely closed for private functions and other weddings happening while I was there. The Crepe place is smaller with limited seating. The menu is limited but the food is good. We found our selves there for a late dessert more than anything.

Finally, the location. It is very close to the Cancun airport, about 15 min drive. The road getting there when we went was recently washed away by a flood, making the road terribly bumpy and long. It had no effect on the hotel though. The resort is a walk away from the town of Puerto Morelos. Staff say it is a maximum of a 40 minute walk up the beach, but it was easily over an hour. Caution doing the walk with small kids as it will be a day venture. If you do walk there, the beach in front of the town is fantastic. Clean crystal blue water with white sand. It is a little busy with people and boats but worth it. The town is small but has small shops and pubs you can check out. We also water taxied back to the resort as walking back was not an option! It cost 40 dollars for 8 of us to be returned back.

Side Notes. We did one excursion which was an hour and half snorkelling tour for 30 dollars at a near by reef. Very affordable and saw lots of marine life including turtles, colourful fish, lobsters, and stingrays. Water was clear and the trip didn't kill a lot of the day. For other excursions, you will have to check out before booking but like all resorts there is lots of variety.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay and the wedding was beautiful. As I like to try new places I would not stay again, as in addition there wasn't that full 5 star feel to make me want to come back. Excellent resort for kids and seniors. The resort is very affordable in comparison to others what you get for a price comparison from my experience. All the best if you decide to stay and I hope it stays rain free for your travels!

Room Tip: building 11 and 12 are closest to the lobby and main pool. also will be more noisy late at night. th...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank GDMcLaughlin
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2013

GDMcLaughlin,
It is really pleasant to learn that your stay at our resort was totally satisfactory and that you found accommodating our facilities and offer. We want to express our gratitude for taking your time to post your review and sharing your experience. We will be glad to host your family for your next vacation.
Kind regards,

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Just came back yesterday.
We stayed for 10 days with a 18 mos child.

1) ROOMS & FACILITIES: 5/5

First of all, the design of the resort is very tasteful and well thought-trough.
Rooms are clean and in good shape.
I've been told that Coral side is a bit better, that Turquesa. I tend to believe in it.

WARNING:
If you are an early and sensitive sleeper -- ask for the room as far as possible from the lobby and Coral pool area -- they have disco by the pool or in the lobby terrace until 1am !!!! and since the resort is small, the sound travels very well...

2) FOOD: 3/5

Food is just OK: the buffet is decent,
4 a-la-carte restaurant (one is an American pizza-ribs-hamburger place, so I would not count it) + a french crepe-pizza place with a very limited menu.

The Italian place is good enough, the Mexican is below average, and the Japanese does not allow kids under 14 years, even if they are peacefully asleep in their strollers... so we were not allowed to eat there.. shame... the Italian restaurant has a terrace, where you can seat in a nice evening breeze, why Japanese menu could not be offered outside in a similar manner.

So given the above, if you are not into greasy American belly-staffers and are travelling with a child under 14, you basically have only two choices for dinner: Italian or buffet.

Another problem - restaurant seating: there is NO reservation for either of the places, there are only waiting lists. So be prepared to stay in the line for 15-25 min to be put on a list and than to wait for an hour to 2 hours to be seated...
So this is a DEFINITE option for improvement.

We've been told that the resort is adding one more French restaurant... but only Privileged guested were allowed in, when we tried to have a dinner there...

3) BEACH & OCEAN: 2/5

Now the beach and the ocean:
beach is very narrow, but it is somehow convenient.
One thing that will keep us away from returning to this place is the quality of the water -- dirty with sand, twigs and plastic debris.. If you have a picture of a beautiful turquoise sea, this is NOT a place to stay. Plus there is a VERY noticeable smell of diesel/oil exhaust, they we could feel EVERY day swimming in the ocean. We had no clue clue where it was coming from , but it was very persistent. Made me wonder what was nearby...

4) LOCATION & ACCESS: 2/5

The resort is conveniently close to Cancun airport -- only 15 min ride on the highway. But then be prepared to go on a VERY bumpy road for another 10-15 min to access the main gate.
If you plan trips out of the resort to excursions/shopping/sightseeing, this is not a place to be, until the roads are fixed. Check with the hotel staff prior booking.

That's about it.
One definite reason to stay there: the price.
All the best to all the travelers and hope your vacation will be rain-free ;)

Room Tip: as stated in the review: I've been told that Coral side is a bit better, that Turquesa. I ten...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank AlenaSmirnova

Dear AlenaSmirnova,
We want to express our gratitude for choosing our resort for your last vacation. It is good to learn that you appreciated the cleanliness and beauty of our facilities. On the other hand, we regret to learn that did not get the Ocean Service we are used to give to all our valued guests. At Ocean Coral & Turquesa, it is our priority to exceed our guest´s expectations. We would truly appreciate if you could share your feedback to the following e-mail address: info.hpc@h10hotels.com to follow up on this and to have more information about your experience. Thank you for posting your review on this site. We hope to have the opportunity to host you in the future.
Best regards,

Reviewed December 19, 2013

My wife and I just returned from Ocean Coral & Turquesa yesterday. (December 18th 2013) We enjoyed the trip. We are low-maintenance travelers and we control our expectations for accommodations in relationship to what you pay. This was our 8th time to Mexico and 2nd time to this resort. All the other resorts we have stayed at were priced similarly.

Beach: If you want to swim in the ocean, you will need to find a different hotel.

Food: Average, you will not go hungry, although it gets repetitive. Japanese restaurant was by far the best.

Bars: Average. This is where they need some help. Having a bar with one bartender is stupid. You end up waiting a long time for drinks sometimes. I tipped and it didn't seem to help.

Rooms: Average, beds are very very hard. I had a hard time sleeping on them and I am not picky. I found the best way to get a good night of sleep was to get very drunk. That way you can't feel how hard it is. I did that the last night I was at the hotel and I slept like a baby.

Just an average resort for a cheap price, so no real complaints. Manage your expectations and you will be fine. We had a good time, but will not return as there are better resorts priced the same.

One last thought, the road to the resort. It is bad, but come on, who really cares. You just spent (probably) a good amount of time traveling to the resort. Once you get to the bad road, just be happy you are almost to your destination.

4  Thank davehendricks

Dear davehendrick,
We are thankful for choosing our resort for your last vacation and for sharing your comments about your stay with us and pointing us out your suggestions regarding the areas that did not meet your expectations. Be sure that your remarks will be shared and analyzed by the pertinent departments. Furthermore, we are glad to learn that you found a good value in our offer. Thank you for posting your review. We hope to have the opportunity to host you in a near future.

Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

We left on an excursion for the day and when you leave, you have to sign out of the resort at the gate. Not sure if this is a coincidence but obviously, the staff knew we were gone so it might have provided the opportunity to rob us. We had money (about $250, mainly in singles and 5's to tip the staff), our bank cards and our cell phones in the safe. When we came back, all was in the safe, minus the envelope with the money. Really smart since that's the only thing that cannot be tracked... We reported the theft and the hotel did an "investigation" which essentially resulted in accusing us of making it up. They say that there is only one key for the lock and that there was no sign of forced entry so it couldn't have been a theft. I'm not really sure about there being only one key. I mean, if you lose a key, how do they get in the safe? There is either a master key or someone on staff that knows how to pick these locks. It's not like they blow up the safe every time someone loses that one key! They also refused to tell us who had been in out room while we were gone. And I doubt anyone was questioned/searched immediately when we reported it (when the money still could have been found). They said to go file a report with the police. Having read previous reviews about similar thefts, I knew it would not accomplish anything (seeing how the police in Puerto Morelos do not even speak English apparently) so we did not pursue this. So I'm really not sure about ever going to a resort that has safes with keys, as opposed to digital ones with passcodes you set yourself. We asked that no staff enter our room while we were out for the remainder of our stay and that request appears to have been honoured.

Another negative: some of the comments from the male staff. For example, the waiter at Route 66 made a comment to my friend about her weight which brought her to tears. Another male waiter made some other unpleasant and insulting comments about our appearance too. Yes, the culture in Mexico is more patriarchal but the hotel should train their employees to not insult the guests.

The positives: everything else.

The food at Sensai, Route 66, the Mexican and the Italian restaurant and the main buffet is excellent. Definitely have the ribs at Route 66. Mike's coffee shop is great too. Also, there is free room service. And the burgers delivered to the room are excellent. Much better than the ones sitting under heat lamps at the beach grill.

The staff, for the most part, is very friendly and efficient. We never waited too long for service or drinks. And since we love to tip, we had to withdraw money after the theft that supposedly never happened (with some 20% insane withdrawal charge) so not to penalize the rest of the staff for the actions of one (or more) bad apple(s).

The rooms are nice and clean. We didn't mind the open concept bathroom but yes, you can hear everything that is happening in there so if someone has an issue with that, this is not a place for them. We were in room no. 11306 which is right in front of the pool bar but it was not noisy at all and the view was really nice. Definitely ask for a dehumidifier.

The beach is alright. Yes, a lot of seaweed but it was raining sporadically and it was pretty windy on the days we went to the beach so it is to be expected. The pools are great and you can choose one depending on your mood. We mainly stuck around the pool bar because of the comfy beds. We had no issue finding spots but it seems as though the hotel was not at full capacity.

And as for the road to the resort, it's really not that bad and not long. We rented a car and drove on it ourselves. It wasn't as traumatizing as some other reviews make it appear.

I really would have given this resort a five star review and a return visit but because of the theft and how these situations are handled, I'm never going to come back. I do realize that this could have happened everywhere but for the resort to make us feel like we made it up, that was too much of a deal breaker. We brought the money to tip the hotel employees so we did not appreciate the disbelief and the lack of cooperation (I.e. No offer of assistance in dealing with the local police). The hotel should really step up in these situations and we really felt let down.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Alice669

Dear Alice666,
We are grateful for choosing our resort for your vacations. It is good to learn that during the days before your excursion your experience was satisfactory and that you enjoyed our food, service and facilities. On the other hand, we truly regret that your stay was affected by the mentioned situation. In regard to this incident we like to inform that the corresponding internal investigation of the case was made, having the following findings: 1) As mentioned in your review, the safety deposit box counts with only one key that has a folio number by factory which matches with the lock that also counts with this number by factory. Both items (key and lock) are handled to our guests during the check-in. 2) The only way to open the lock of the safety box without the key is by drilling it, which would have caused noise and complaints from the neighboring rooms in case that any person might tried to open it. 3) When our staff checked the safety box of your room in your presence, it was in perfect conditions, there is no evidence that any member from our staff violated the safe or that the safe was drilled. 4) After checking the box, you informed to our staff that the only missing item was the envelope with the money, the rest articles were still inside the box.
It is also important to mention that at all times you were assisted by our Guest Service and Security departments who explained to you the situation and the findings. They also suggested you to report this incident to the pertinent authorities; however, as you mentioned in your post you rejected this offer. We are responsible of the security and integrity of the entirety of our guests which is the most important for us; therefore we count with a very efficient security team that is in charge of ensuring the safety within our facilities.
We truly lament that your perception about OCT was affected by this incident; nevertheless, as mentioned before, we found no evidence that the money was stolen from your safety deposit box.
Thank you for posting your review.
Kind regards,

Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Hotel Riu Yucatan
Hotel Riu Yucatan
#62 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!