Ocean Coral & Turquesa
$448
$329
$210
  • Breakfast included
Now Jade Riviera Cancun(Puerto Morelos)
$286
$187
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort(Puerto Morelos)
$344
$540
$489
HotelsForEveryone
12,399 results
All reviewsblue moonvilla marinaprivilege loungedaisy clubpool barmike's coffee shopcasa del marprivilege beachprivilege guestsprivilege packagecrepe restaurantthe lion kingquiet poolactivity poolentertainment staffsexy chocolatemake reservations
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I agree that this is a beautiful resort, and staff are attentive, friendly and helpful. But some things would need to be addressed before I would return.

1. the rooms reeked of mold/mildew. We were on first floor, other family in room on second floor. Both rooms were constantly damp; felt like we were getting into wet sheets at night. We were promised de-humidifiers, that never appeared. The smell permeated everything: clothes, purses, suitcases.

2. The maid did a great job; however we only had our refrigerator filled one time during our stay, and who ever did it took the maid's tip.

3. The road into the resort was flooded when we arrived. In fact people were fishing in the road. After 7 days of sunshine, the road was still flooded. It was nerve racking going through the water, veering from side to side and going around stalled/stuck cars.

Room Tip: get a guarantee of no mold/mildew smell.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank SUSAN W
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Dear SUSAN W,
We are truly thankful for posting your review on this site. We are thankful for your good comments about the beauty of our facilities, and the friendliness of our staff. We are sorry to learn that your stay was not totally satisfactory and was affected by the mentioned situations. Please allow us to inform that we are aware of the conditions of the access road to our resort; nevertheless as you could read in our previous responses, the weather conditions during the last months have aggravated this situation. We are working together with the other resorts in our hotel zone in order to aid this situation; however, we depend on Mother Nature and the authorities to start with this works. In like manner, the weather conditions cause an increase in the humidity levels at our facilities as we are located in a mangrove zone. Be sure that your comments about the requests that were not fulfilled will be analyzed and actions will be taken in order to prevent inconveniences to future guests. We hope that you will keep on choosing our resort for your next vacations.
Bests,

Reviewed November 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed here from October 27 to November 10 with 2 friends. I have traveled to Riviera Maya/Cancun about 20 times.

Ocean Coral is at Puerto Morelos, 25 minutes from the airport and 50 minutes walk to Puerto Morelos (downtown).

This is a beautiful property but I wanted a mexican experience, there was no Mexican music and almost no Mexican food... and I am a beach person, and this is the worst beach I have seen in Riviera Maya.

Beach: The water isn't clear, couldn't see through it, it looks dirty and full of seaweed. The ocean was really rough when we were there. I step on a stingray, but I was lucky and was not stung... If you want a gorgeous beach this is not the place. There is no snorkeling right off the beach. Due to its location it gets a lot of seaweed and the water looks brown, not the blue water you would expect. There is a large tractor that rakes up the seaweed multiple times per day, this was fairly loud and not especially efficient and that should be done in the early morning more thoroughly.

Locals walked the beach selling cigars, scarves, jewelry and other items but weren't intrusive.

Pools: The pools were well maintained. You have access to 4 pools. You get a card for the towel. You'll need the card back at checkout or there's a fee.

Quiet pool : between buildings 1 to 6
Party pool (swim up bar) : between buildings 8 to 11
Activity pool : between buildings 12 to 17
Kids pool : between buildings 17 to 21

Buffet: The food was good but the service at the buffet is lacking and very disorganized. It was a challenge to get a cup of coffee, be prepared to wait up to 20 minutes... they seemed to be short staffed.
2 buffets:
Casa del Mar : Buffet (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
Villa Marina Caribbean Grill : lunch buffet (11am to 17:30)

Restaurants: The food was good. There is no reservations and there will be a line at 6pm.
6 restaurants:
Villa Marina Caribbean Grill : Seafood and meats (some with extra charge and this is very unusual in an All inclusive)
La petite Creperie : Crepes
Sensai : Oriental, Japanese cooking show
Ritratto d’Italia : Italian cuisine
Hacienda las Girasoles : Mexican cuisine
Ruta 66 : American cuisine

Room: The room was clean and well maintained and we had a wonderful view of the ocean. Fridge refill every day, TV, free safe and room service. We had an ocean/pool view room on the fourth floor, (We stayed in room 15407/building 15) with a king sized bed. Our shower leaked into the main bathroom area and the bathroom has an open doorway, this can be a problem if you are in the tub and your room door needs to be opened.

All the rooms are facing the ocean and the pools but you need to be on the third or fourth floor to see the ocean.

WIFI: The lobby has free wifi or you can pay 30$/week for one device.

Mike’s Coffee : There is a great coffee place but it didn't open until 10 am…

Gift shop was pretty pricey. Bring your own medicine and sunscreen.

Bar: The employees worked incredibly hard, but they were so understaffed that it often took up to 25 minutes to get a drink at the bar. There were notably fewer bars in this resort than in others we've visited.

Gym : There is a small gym.

Medical care - There is a doctor on site.

We were off-season, so I can't say how a fully booked resort would differ, but I suspect it would be more difficult to get into a restaurant since seating seems quite small, and you'd have to be early to get a seat at the four pools and beach.

Thank you to Sylvia, Yvan and Jammy from the entertainment staff, they were excellent.

Do not go to this resort if you're a beach lover.

Room Tip: All the rooms are facing the ocean but you need to be on the third or fourth floor to see it.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank MarieJosee3

Dear MarieJosee3,
Thank you for choosing our resort for your last vacations and for posting a very informative review about our resort. On the other hand we regret that your vacations were affected by the beach situation and that it was not as you expected. As we have post before, the bad weather during the past months affected our beach condition, causing a mayor accumulation of seaweed at the shore and a darker color in the water. Since as you mention in your post, the beach was the less satisfactory part of your trip, we would like to invite you to visit our resort in another season of the year, when the beach condition is better. Thank you for your observations about some improvement areas of our operation, which give us the opportunity to evaluate and improve our performance. We hope that you keep choosing the Riviera Maya for your vacations and that you will give us the opportunity to host you in the future.
Kind regards,

Reviewed November 25, 2013

OK, disclaimer: I own several "studio weeks" at this H10 resort (meaning that I pay only the all-inclusive supplement, which still comes to about $140 for two people a night), and this was my fourth stay here, I believe. When I bought into the H10 program, I was assured by the sales person that i would always be accommodated in an ocean front room. On prior stays at the Ocean Coral that was the case, and it also was the case about two months ago when I stayed in an H10 in Lanzarote (Canary Islands), about which I also wrote a review.

I had made my reservations about 2 months out, stressing that a king bed and ocean front were desired (and expected). I flew a friend from Germany on Frequent Flier miles to Cancun, we met at the airport after my arrival from TX within an hour of each other, and we took the pre-arranged ground transportation--no problems. Several folks have remarked in recent reviews that the road to the resort is in terrible shape. That is correct, but that's no fault of the hotel, and other hotels are affected in the same way. (Think of the workers in all those resorts who have to commute every day on these roads!) The area has experienced above-normal rains, and I am sure by the time I come back sometime next year, things will be fixed.

The problem for us, however, was that we were assigned a room with two queen or twin beds, with an ocean view if one stood on the far corner of the balcony--no ocean front, for sure. No, that's not what I had paid for when I dropped my dollars buying into the H10 program. My friend had not flown 14 hours to sleep by herself in a small bed. So, we were reassigned a room, with a king bed--only thing was, it was dark, looking onto the ground-level foliage of the garden. Since the room was directed toward the north, there was not a ray of sunshine, even after the first two days' of rain (which no hotel has control over). We stayed in this dungeon for the first four nights of our stay. We finally were reassigned to a marginally better ground-floor room (again, no ocean front and just the most marginal of ocean views from the terrace) that at least received some direct sunlight.

If I had been by myself, I would have bitten my tongue--but not after bringing somebody over from Europe, telling her how much I like the property (and the people who work there), and how romantic this stay would be, with the ocean right in front of us. I feel let down by H10 and have contacted customer service. I have paid for something that was not delivered, and I don't think that it is unreasonable to be unhappy about that. We were told that the hotel was at 90%+ occupancy and there were no other rooms, but I do not believe that: It seems to me that some parts of the hotel were simply not used and that occupancy hit 90% for the areas that were open. also, remember that I made these reservations at least 2 months out. Premium guest service staff members Saskia and Ruby tried to be helpful, as were other staff members (like the personal butler), but at the end of the day we were still in an unacceptable room. Very, very disappointing.

As an H10 Privilege member I have access to the Privilege Lounge and to the Fusion restaurant, where we had breakfast several times and dinner twice--as always, I thought that food and service were very good to excellent. The same goes for the other specialty restaurants (the Mexican one, the Japanese one, and the Italian one). I really don't understand how people are dissatisfied with the food quality. In my book, it is a step or two above usual all-inclusive fare (and another reason why I b ought into the H10 program). Disappointing was the fact that the French restaurant at the small pool (La Petite Creperie) had a so-so menu for the evening dining, and during the day there were no snacks--the kitchen here was closed. So, the hotel was really at 90% capacity? Whom are you trying to kid? The Italian restaurant has a beautiful outdoor patio that was closed for our entire stay (November 13 -20) except our last night--and we DID enjoy eating outdoors that night. Again, very nice food (prepared at your outdoor table) and attentive service. The main buffet seemed crowded, thanks to renovation of part of the restaurant (with occasionally pretty noticeable paint fumes). The final restaurant (next to the pool) had a limited choice of lunch items, notably lacking in salad items (apart from the staples such as salad, tomato, etc.); I remembered it as being more exciting for choices in the past.

About the beach and the water: It's not as if the hotel had any influence on where sea weed and trash that people toss is going to wash ashore. What they do have an influence on is whether there is a credible attempt at cleaning things up, and that is an ongoing affair, every day. To those who wrote those negative reviews: Did you notice all those workers with their rakes? Did you notice the tractor that is used to pick up seaweed? No, this is not the Maldives, but it's not as if this were a lousy beach. After the storms on Nov. 14 and 15, the sea was very, very rough--so no wonder more flotsam was deposited than usual.

One last word in regard to the ownership program: As I said, I am a Premium Privilege member. When I bought into the program, this was the highest tier. Now H10 has introduced a "Black" program that is an even higher tier, guaranteed to give you an ocean front Master Suite. Yeah, right. Simple math tells me that there are not adequate numbers of MSs in this property, and I have the nagging feeling that my promised ocean front room (not suite, that was never promised) had gone to somebody else. Once again, I feel let-down by H10 and management and am disappointed that nobody higher up in the hierarchy took ownership of our issue and made things right.

To all of the local staff my fullest appreciation for their constant diligent work and attentiveness. Many of them know me by name, even more do so by face--maybe it's because I make an attempt to be friendly to them and try to converse with them in their language and appreciate and try to share their pride for their country. Let's see whether this stay was a fluke. I sure hope so. Management should make sure that my future trips to my home property are not going to repeat the mistakes that were made this time.

Let's see how the hotel will respond, since it is obvious that H10 monitors these reviews, as well they should. I hope my next review will be back to normal, which without the room problems would have been a 4 1/2 stars this time. Take care of the mentioned restaurant issues, and it will be five stars. Why else would I have bought into the H10 program?

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Diving_Cyclist
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Just got back from a 6 night trip to Ocean Coral & Turquesa and it was great!

This was my first time doing all inclusive and it was wonderful. I was told not to expect much with the food at all inclusives but it exceeded my expectations and for the most part was very good!

If you are looking for crystal blue waters I would stay away from this resort. There is a lot of seaweed and the water looked like the water I grew up with on the East Coast..but with that being said I would still go back to this resort.

The rooms and grounds are extremely clean and the staff works very hard. They are all very friendly and accomodating.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear Katie H,
With pleasure we read your comments regarding your stay at OCT. We are glad that you have chosen our resort for your first all inclusive experience and to learn that your expectations were exceeded by the different options in gastronomy, facilities and services that we have to offer. Thank you for posting your experience. We really hope to have you back to our property for your next vacations.
Warm regards,

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Just returned from a family vacation November 9, 2013 through November 16, 2013. We had a party of 8 adults and 7 children. We are average people who do not expect a lot. We planned this trip a year out and did a lot of research. Here is what we walked into.
The road to get into the resort is a disgrace. If it rains, and it did while we were there, you may not find a driver who will take you into the resort. When we arrived at the resort, we found it to be very beautiful. It is a massive resort that is very well manicured and clean. We stayed in a junior suite ocean view room. The rooms were average. Showers leaked into the main bathroom area. Beds and pillows were very uncomfortable. Pull out bed was broken. It was an average room. I will say that our maid did an outstanding job in cleaning the room everyday. She was very polite and always smiling. The staff that restocked the refrigerator everyday was also very polite. Any requests that we would leave for them such as extra water or beer was always met.
The pools and grounds were well maintained and beautiful. There were 3 large pools that were always clean. They were big enough that you never felt cramped while swimming in them.
As for the food, overall it had little taste and was poor quality. Very disappointed. We did have a good meal at the Italian restaurant and pool site restaurant at night only (during the day time they served a buffet). The service was hit and miss. They had trouble accommodating a party of our size. They could not serve us in a group and would split us and the children up. When it came time for us to get our meals, they would either forgot two of our meals and the rest would be waiting well past their meal or they would serve the kids right away and our meals would not come until an hour later. They never seemed to get it right. The thing that really was upsetting was that nobody under the age of 14 was allowed into the Hibachi restaurant. It's a family resort however they have a restaurant where children are not allowed inside, doesn't make sense.
There were little activities for our children. We went to the teens club one afternoon to find it closed up with empty rum bottles outside the door even though the information said open 9am to 5pm.
The beach was the most disgusting beach I have ever seen in my entire life. The water was brown (yes dirty brown) and full of seaweed. When the children would play in the ocean they would end up coming out a little while later with a rash all over them. The only thing that I could figure out about the water was that the resort sets back into a cutout. If you went about a half mile up the beach you would be swimming in blue, clear water. The worst part was that the water was full of garbage. Our kids would make a game of pulling different garbage from the water to see who could get the most interesting garbage. My son pulled out ropes, plastic antifreeze bottles, plastic bags, shoes, toothbrushes and a broken glass bottle (thank goodness they did not step on it) and that is when we said game over and pulled them from the ocean the rest of the trip.
Mediocre food, mediocre service, not so great rooms I can live with. The most disappointing part of the trip for me was the conditions of that ocean. You go to Mexico for the beautiful blue, clean ocean and this resort certainly failed. I am surprised no one has been seriously injured in that ocean from the filth and broken glass that washed up there day after day. I would not recommend this resort to my worst enemy. I have never written a review before in my life, and the reason I took the time to do it today is because I do not want to see someone make the same mistake we did. I can say that the group we went with did the best we could with the accommodations and at least enjoyed one another's company.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Colleen S
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Dear Colleen S,
We are thankful for choosing our resort for your last vacations. It is good to learn that you appreciated the beauty and cleanliness of our resort. On the other hand we lament reading that your experience was not satisfactory and that your vacations were affected by the mentioned situations. We want to thank you for the entirety of the remarks and recommendations that you have made to our resort, and for giving us the opportunity to evaluate our performance and take the pertinent actions in order to improve our services for our future customers. We hope you keep choosing the Riviera Maya as your holiday destination.
Kind regards