“Not the best, not the worst we've stayed at.”

Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Massachusetts
“Not the best, not the worst we've stayed at.”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We found a pretty decent sale for this resort back in May, so after reading many reviews and already knowing what else was in this price range from many years of researching other resorts, we decided to give it a try despite some of the negative reviews. My sister and her husband were traveling from another state to meet up with us here, so that made the stay even better. We really enjoyed ourselves, but I am sorry to say, a lot of the negative comments I read about beforehand were true. The resort is very pretty and very clean. It is close to the airport, which was another deciding factor since we were only staying 7 nights this trip. The ride took 30 minutes, but I think it took longer to get from the main road to the resort because with all the recent rain, the ruts and pot holes were filled with water so the driver couldn’t tell how deep they were, which let to a crawl.

So, the problems we encountered were not major, but enough to get annoying after a few days.

We arrived at noon, checked in and were told we were upgraded to an ocean view room and assured my sister and her husband would be close to us. I asked that a dehumidifier be put in our rooms and that the electricity would be set to run all night because my husband uses a CPAP machine. All this I learned from reading TA. We were assured all would be taken care of and we could come back at two to get our room keys. Now had I known the first day that the elevators were few and far between, I don’t think I would have accepted this “upgrade”. If you need to go to your room more than once a day and have mobility issues, it’s going to be a problem. It was quicker to walk across the pool areas to get to the restaurants, but to get to the lobby, the flight of stairs was pretty steep and then going back through the buildings to your room seemed twice the walk. It’s not a huge resort, but the buildings are like in a zig zag pattern when walking from inside.

After checking in we were turned over to a concierge who (of course) turned out to be a time share rep. in disguise, lol. Why can’t these resorts let you settle in before they start this? I was tired, hungry, and needed the bathroom. At one point he turned to me and said “you aren’t listening to me are you?” and I told him I wasn’t. I told him honestly that we weren’t interested in any excursions or any times shares, vacation clubs, whatever, we just wanted to get something to eat and get to our room. He wasn’t happy, but finally gave up.

The room was very nice. We had two double beds (not queen), but that was ok with us, although some might mind. I’m sure you also know the beds are pretty firm, but we managed without a foam topper. The pillows were very lumpy as others have mentioned. We did get our dehumidifier, but my sister never got one. You need to empty this 2 or 3 times a day. It is also true that the electricity is motion activated, and that included some of the wall outlets. Thankfully, the one between the beds stayed on so my husband didn’t have a problem, but it was only one plug, and the lamp was plugged into it. I bring an extension cord so that worked out. You might want to do the same. The shower leaked into the toilet area every time we took a shower, and the shower head kept sliding down the pipe and swinging around, making for a comical scene trying to get your hair washed and rinsed. Toiletries were not of the best quality, you might want to bring your own shampoo and conditioner. The other bothersome thing was not enough hangers (there never are in most resorts, but I bring some old wire ones from home). There were no dressers or any type of drawers, only a few shelves in the closet that just didn’t quite make it for a week’s worth of belongings. I kept forgetting where I put things. We were at the end room in building 8 so our balcony was covered and seemed larger than others. Two very uncomfortable chairs, and a small table completed it.
You were not allowed to hang any clothing or towels out there, which I can understand not having them flapping over the rails, but they should then provide a towel rack or clothes line off to the side as I’ve seen in other resorts. There wasn’t anything in the bathroom/shower area either. I did like that they had a very heavy balcony door with a double lock. Once closed, you could not hear a sound from outside.

Everyone should know by now that the beach here is pretty nice, but the water is not enjoyable for a swim. It is too bad because the water was very calm with a sandy bottom, no ruts or rocks to trip you up. I just wasn’t comfortable because it was so murky, you couldn’t see any part of your body below the water and it did have an off odor. Thus we spent our days at the pools. Our first walk around we discovered the “quiet pool” by the privileged section, but we were told the bar was closed there. We moved over to the swim up bar pool. It was pretty crowded around this pool, they had plenty of chairs, in fact, too many for a pool that size. You couldn’t even step between the chairs to sit down. We’d end up moving them apart as best we could and settled in. This is the first time we’ve actually stayed at a pool with a swim up bar because we’d rather be on the beach. The behavior of some people when drinking can be obnoxious at times, and we are not prudes. It’s really not a problem though, if you cannot put up with it, you just move to another pool. The larger “activity” pool had a lot of obstacles so finding a place to sit and not be in the way of the activities going on or being close to an easy entrance to the pool proved to be a little chore. We finally settled down at one end away from all the activity and were soon surrounded by moms with their kids (don’t know where Dad was). We wondered why they just didn’t use the family pool and/or kiddies pool right next to this area. So, that left us with going back to the swim up bar pool for the remainder of our stay. Don’t think you’ll be safe from little ones at the bar though. Some parents thought it was so cute to have their babies with them while sitting at the bar. There was only one bartender most of the time and one waitress who serviced the pool and the beach. Certain days and/or times they had one other person behind the bar. One bartender in particular, Ruben, was very friendly and did a fantastic job with what he had to put up with sometimes. We found out after a few days the entire block of buildings around the family pool was closed, the bar, snack bar and maybe even the children’s activity center was closed. It didn’t impact us, but be aware when you are booking in low season if you have little ones, you might want to check on this first. That could have explained why no one was using the pools over there.

I’m not going to say much about the food as everyone’s tastes are different. They had an excellent selection of food in the buffet, but it all seemed to lack flavor, and served lukewarm rather than hot, even at the a la cartes we went to. More into presentation than taste. I do have to mention that out of the 7 mornings we were there, they only had bacon available twice. There was always an empty tray there and always someone saying it was coming right out, but it never appeared while we were there. How hard is it to cook up bacon ahead of time? It keeps forever, lol. The drink service is very slow (as has been mentioned over and over here on TA). They really should consider setting up a self serve coffee/tea station. Oh, and speaking of coffee, if you are going to use your coffee maker in the room, you have to call and ask for sugar and/or cream every day. Then you got the run around as to who is responsible for providing it. Front desk passed it to room service, room service passed it to housekeeping, etc., etc.
Do you begin to see what I mean about little annoying things?

The room service menu is very limited and unless you are privileged, you cannot order breakfast to your room. You cannot order drinks to be brought to your room either. Again, not a big deal since it’s all inclusive, just go eat in one of the restaurants or get a drink at one of the bars. But why advertise all these “amenities” and then put restrictions on them?

Hopefully I haven’t put anyone off from booking. You vacation is what you make of it. I think this would be a great resort if they hired more staff and gave a better introduction to all their services instead of trying to sell you something more and cutting corners on things that should be made available to all. If you have any questions or would like more information about restaurant times, activities, etc., send me a message here on TA.

11 Thank mo32

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,525)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Portage, Indiana
Reviewed September 30, 2013

My Wife and I stayed at the OCT from 9/21-9/28. The weather was excellent unlike the week before. One hour of rain the entire week so we spent most of our time at the beach. So Let me Start there.

Beach: The beach is excellent. It does have little pieces of sea grass that wash up but a tractor comes by a few times a day and picks it up. No problems with large piles. The water is not as crystal blue as other parts of the Caribbean but it is clear. The reef has a lot to do with the clarity of the water but i had no problem seeing down 6 feet on a calm day. Never a problem getting a palapa or sun bed any time of the day.

Room: We had a ocean front master suite in building 1 on the second floor. No problem with a musty smell. I think that might be a bigger issue on the ground floor. The room was very clean and the mini fridge was always restocked. Our view was outstanding. Watching the sun rise in the early morning and seeing cruise ships passing by in the afternoon. Very peaceful.

Food: Over all the food was good. Dont go anywhere in the Caribbean and expect every meal to be great. It's just not gonna happen. We were in the privilege club so we ate most of our breakfasts and lunches in the privilege lounge. We did try the buffet for lunch and breakfast a couple times and it was fine. Nothing great but you could always find something you liked. We also ate at the Mexican, Italian, Fusion, and Route 66. All were good with the Mexican being my favorite.

Pools: I can not say much about the pools. We only went to the quiet pool or hangover pool.

Privilege Club: Do I think it was worth it? Yes. You have access to the lounge area with a private bar close to your room, you can have all your meals made to order for you there, very quick and relaxing. The private area on the beach is a nice plus. The beach concierge or butlers were out of this world. In the morning they would set you up with a bucket of what ever you wanted; water, soda, and beer or bring you any drink you wanted. This went on all day. I never left the beach to get a drink and We never ran out. The service was excellent. Having beer in a can on the beach was worth the extra cost for me alone, we are beer drinkers. Montejo beer goes down smooth and I never got tired of the taste. Being able to have priority seating for dinners as well as access to specialty restaurants was nice even if the resort was not crowded. We never waited to be seated. With the privilege level comes a small army of Butlers. These folks would take care of any need you had with in reason. The top shelf liqueur was a nice plus but even the regular booze was good.

Staff: This is where this resort excels. The staff is fantastic. Always helpful and with a smile. A few standouts I would like to thank for making our anniversary trip one to remember are:

Alejandro, Rocio, Francisco (congratulations!), Rafael, Roger , and Roberto(beach) at the Privilege lounge and beach. Great job and thank you for the best service we have ever received at any resort. Well done. You Helped make it great!

Over all this is the 7th different AI resort we have stayed at and I will say the best service we have ever received. If I can help with any questions please email me. Cheers.

Room Tip: Upper floors privilege club. Building 1 was very quiet.
9 Thank TimBirch9
edmonton
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I will never, ever, go back! I couldn't wait to go back home, and I was so looking forward to this trip!
I couldn't stand that moldy smell in the room, it was unbearable! We were out of room as long as possible. The beach is nice, but lots of seaweed in the water. Have to have water shoes! Food was totally average, no fans in the lobby. Entertainment was less then average, we could never find a seat, not more then 50-60 people can fit. At night- extremely boring!
The only good thin was Mike's Café, and staff was nice! Adios!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Do not stay on the ground floor!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ocean2022
Highlands, New Jersey
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We just returned from a week at the Ocean Coral and were pleasantly surprised at the quality based upon the relatively low price of this hotel. There was a nice assortment of restaurants and food quality was very good. If you have traveled to Cancun before you realize that the "theme" restaurants they offer i.e. hibachi or italian, are not authentic but excellent substitutes. The pool bar was always an attraction in the evening with great music and an excellent gathering place to meet people of all ages and nationalities. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Do not waste your money upgrading to Preferred. It is just an ego boost and the extra amenities are not worth the extra money. Only negative is that the hotel is fairly isolated and unless you take a number of excursions, you are limited. We usually stay in the hotel zone which is more active. Not a negative if you simply want to relax and unwind. All in all we had a wonderful time!!

Room Tip: Ask for a dehumidifier for the room!
3 Thank David M
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear ValerieMint, T
hank you for your kind comments about your last stay at our resort. It is rewarding for us to learn that you had a wonderful time with us and that you enjoyed with our facilities and offer. Furthermore that you found a good value on them. We are thankful for taking the time to share your experience at this site. We look forward your next visit.
Bests,
washington
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Our party of eight were treated like royalty from the time we arrived 09/16/2013 till we left on
09/23/2013 . All four couples were celebrating an anniversary.We each received a cake.
Food was first rate ,service was fast and efficient at bars and restaurants.A special thanks
to Juan in the lobby bar the best server at the resort.A shoutout to the entertainment staff
for outstanding shows and activities.We were asked one time about timeshare and never again
A Great Vacation even with a few rainy days.

Room Tip: Ask for a dehumidifier
5 Thank dick d
Dear dick d,
With reward we learn that you and your group enjoy your experience while celebrating your anniversaries. We want to thank you for all your positive comments about our food offer, bar service and entertainment staff. We are also proud to read your special mention to Juan from our Bar staff, he will be glad to hear that you remembered him and that his work was recognized by you and your friends. Thank you for posting your review at this site. We hope to host you and your group in a near future.
Kind regards,
Indiana
Reviewed September 28, 2013

The staff here are incredible. It was truly sad to say good-bye to them. I wish we could stay in contact! I traveled with my husband, my two girl friends, and brother-in-law.

FOOD
The lunch buffet was very good each time. I was always pleasantly surprised as it continued to get better and better. They go to great lengths with the snack bars to have good food available all day long. It is so convenient! The dinners do not have reservations, except for the Japanese restaurant. (I ate there three times!) The Italian was my least favorite. Everything else was splendid. Room service was okay. The breakfast buffet was probably the least good. Room service for breakfast is only for Privileged guests. We were all impressed with the food overall.

SERVICE
Excellent.

CLEANLINESS
The rooms, resort and pools were all very clean and met the highest standards.

ENTERTAINMENT
We were never wanting for entertainment. The entertainment staff are so talented and go above and beyond to ensure everyone is having a great time. The turtle release was amazing. How fun! There are activities going on all the time.

POOLS
My husband and I agree that the layout of this resort is ideal. They have five pools with different atmospheres. The first is the kids'/family pool, the second the pool in the spa, the third the sports' pool, the fourth the party pool and the fifth the quiet/infinity pool. We did not go to the family/kids pool. The sports' pool is full of activities constantly so if you're not into that, you don't go to the pool! I do not enjoy this and hate that at most resorts you get caught up in it if you want to be at the pool at all. My friends enjoyed some of the activities and enjoyed it very much. The one we frequented most was the party pool, with the swim-up bar. The spa pool is small and tranquil. The infinity pool was quiet and there are no children allowed. I rarely saw children at the party pool. The snack bars are right next to the infinity/quiet pool and the sports' pool. You do have to have a towel ticket and check out your towel, which I think decreases stressing over a towel.

BEACH
The beach was awesome. The water....eh...cloudy most of the time we were there. It is not the crystal blue and if it is, it is most certainly not in September. We had no problems getting a chair, umbrella, table, etc.

BARS
Drinks were amazing. They allowed you to request your liquor. We were satisfied and rarely longed for the Privileged booze. Staff was amazing. I personally would rather drink beer but don't like Mexican beers and that is the only beer offered here (which is obviously fine but thought it was worth mentioning because this is typically something I want to know).

ROOMS
Always clean. Adequate in every way. They gave us adjoining rooms, no problem. Mini fridge was great. The bathrooms are very open but this was not an issue for us at all.

FRONT DESK SERVICES
Always helpful.

OTHER
Some of the tiles around the resort are VERY slippery when wet. I didn't meet a staff member that didn't speak English. The tour groups are in a back hallway in the lobby so you don't feel harassed when you are in the lobby. Wi-Fi in the lobby is great. The lobby is huge. They have rainy days down to a science and go out of their way to ensure guests are still having a great time. I just believe that this resort is very well managed. Tipping is never required. Bottled water is plentiful. You can find whatever you want here. We hope to return! No, this was not the most luxurious resort but maybe it is if you are Privileged. We all loved it.

I did not get to say good-bye to Gabriela because she was on break and had moved to the pool area by the time I went to breakfast. Gabriela, sorry I missed you at breakfast!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank giraffe23
Dear giraffe23,
We want to express our gratitude for sharing your review with the community. We truly appreciate that you have taken the time to write such a complete review about our resort and for all the positive comments about our performance. Be sure that we will let Gabriela know that you were trying to reach her before your departure. Thank you for choosing our resort. It will be a pleasure for us to host you on your next visit to Mexico.
Best regards,
Calgary
Reviewed September 28, 2013

The phrase "it's a pleasure" relates to 2 important things at OCT: 1) what we heard from the staff almost every time we received service, and 2) our experience. Honestly, I am running out of descriptive phrases to apply to the resort overall, but most particularly to the staff.

My wife and I were at OCT from September 11th to 25th. Yes, we did not have very good weather, as has been noted by others, but the staff, the food and the service minimized any negatives every day. We know what excellent service is - one just has to go to OCT to experience it.

While have been Premium members since 2008, and therefore have emjoyed the treatment provided by Alejandro Frank, Saskia Mann, Alan Ramirez, and all of the OCT staff, I would be remiss if I did not specifically thank the following: Rocio - Privilege beach service; Ileanna - bar manager; Alphonso - chef Fusion lounge; Miguel and Florencio - Fusion lounge; Neftali and Verulo, Giovanna and Carlos - Fusion waiters; Angel, Alex and Ricardo - Butlers; Joachin, Adriana, Veronica and Rubi - Privilege desk, and last, but not least - the best cleaning lady - Laura..

Food is better every trip, the room was spotless and the resort listens to their guests, and makes every effort to improve each year.

This was our 8th visit, and it "was a pleasure", as always.

Room Tip: levels 3 and 4 offer the best ocean views.
4 Thank TimberTom
Dear TimberTom,
It is rewarding to receive your review regarding your eighth stay with us and to learn that on each visit we were able to provide you with an enjoyable experience. We are truly grateful for your kind comments about the performance of our staff, which I can assure you, already consider you and your wife as part of your family. It is always a pleasure to welcome you to OCT. We are looking forward your 9th visit to this, your home.
Warm regards,
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#8 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!