“Everything you expect”

Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ranked #13 of 27 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed at the Coral for two weeks this summer and had a great time. The restaurants, including the buffet, are excellent with great food and service. The pools are varied, large and relatively clean (one of them was cleaned while we were there, and needed it), however there is not enough shade for everyone. The scuba crew were excellent and helped us get our PADI Open Water diver qualification. Our favourite bar was in the lobby, with all bars having an excellent selection of drinks. In short a great hotel to stay at on a vacation.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank mitchelli

Reviewed September 24, 2013

This hotel has beautiful grounds, and is a good place for a family vacation. It is not a 4-5 star vacation, it is a budget trip for families. I am not trashing the hotel for not being a 5 star, they are a solid 3 star.

Our room was nice and had enough space for myself, my husband, and our 15 year old son. The toilet area had a very strong odor of urine, if it was mopped I am sure it would have smelled better and not been a problem. None of the floors in our room were mopped.

Upon check in I had requested an anniversary cake and that was delivered as promised. The service is good. The food at Route 66 is awesome, do not pay the upcharge for a steak at the steakhouse, the steak here is at no extra cost and huge and cooked to perfection.

They do a good job on the activities for families and offer a good spa special, do not pay full price. Check in was not a problem, and at checkout they let us keep our bracelets until we got into our transportation. So we used the facilities until we left.

I got sick from the food, I believe it was the spinach I used in my salad, I was sick for a week after my return. My husband and my son did not get sick.

Overall we had a nice vacation, I would not return to this property as me and my husband prefer a 5 star property that is adults only. This was a good property to travel to with our son.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Mylifemyway2014
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My boyfriend and I visited Ocean Coral September 12-17, 2013 for my birthday. We had been to the Mayan Riviera in April this year (at a different resort), and couldn't wait to get back. There were many good things about this resort such as the pool bar staff, spa, housekeeping (Lorena in building 10 did an amazing job daily on our room and always had a friendly smile!) and the a la carte restaurants. Unfortunately there were many negative things as well; upon check in, we were sat down and given a map of the resort by a very friendly girl who then spent the next 10 minutes quite forcefully attempting to book us into a 'welcome breakfast' the next day where we could learn about all the other Ocean hotels (timeshares!). When we declined she became quite dismissive and rude and basically told us that she was done helping us. The lineup for breakfast the last four days of our trip was insane- over an hour each day! The second day this occurred I approached guest services and let them know that I was concerned over this, that I found it unacceptable for a resort to be so full with such a small breakfast area. I was asked to fill out a complaint form, which I did, and did not hear anything back from management on the issue. A phone call letting me know it had been received, at the very least, would have been appreciated. We went for breakfast at the "beach restaurant" by the main pool. The buffet counter tops were covered in slopped food, and to be honest, did not look fit to be serving food off of. Other guests were seating themselves in the restaurant, and dodging between people at the buffet line quite rudely. At the main buffet, it was clean and well serviced with pleasant wait staff, but when I observed a guest dipping her finger into a bowl of nacho cheese and licking it off, then dipping it back in- and letting the staff know that this occurred I was told "Thank you for informing us". I then observed that other guests continued to serve themselves out of the bowl, and it was not changed, nor did anyone seem overly concerned about it. The "quiet pool" (which I had been looking forward to sitting at, and reading in the sun) was not very well enforced. Multiple families with children attended the pool and were swimming and screaming all day long. I understand that this is a family friendly resort, but it would have been nice to have a quiet place to relax while on vacation. When at the beach, the seaweed cleaning tractor ran right in front of the first row of lounge chairs, and when driving past he did not slow down, spraying people with sand and seaweed. The second row back seemed a much safer place to sit. All in all, I love Mexico and think it’s a fabulous place to visit and relax; unfortunately that is not at all what I got out of Ocean Coral. I would not recommend this place to my family and friends, nor would I ever return. Feeling stressed and frustrated while on vacation and having your concerns dismissed is not what I consider a good vacation. If you do go, make sure to hit up the Japanese restaurant; it will at least take your mind off the poor experience of this resort for a few hours.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Morgann C
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We had a fantastic time on our honeymoon at this resort. All of the employees went out of their way to make our time enjoyable. Great food, lots of options for entertainment and leisure, close to fantastic snorkeling and shopping at Playa del Carmen. Guest Services Rep Roberto was incredibly helpful.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BuddyHFCC
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear BuddyHFCC,
With reward we learn that you chose our resort for your honeymoon, and that on this special occasion we were able to provide you with a great experience. Furthermore, we appreciate your good comments about Roberto. We are thankful for taking the time to post your comment and for recommending our resort to the community. We hope to host your first wedding anniversary.
Warm regards,

Reviewed September 23, 2013

First time in Mexico and to an all inclusive - loved it
Check in nice and easy, free upgrade which was a bonus!
Bell boys took our things and showed us up to our room which was fantastic!
The bed was huge and comfy, plenty of wardrobe space etc. - only thing the lighting in bathroom wasn't that great but it wasn't an issue
Food was delicious! I'm a fussy eater and I found something I liked in every restaurant and could eat as much as we wanted every night even going into a couple of the restaurants a night
couldn't say what the children's pool and activity pool were like as never used them, but the pool Bar pool and quiet pool were fab - a nice cool down on hot days
The bar staff all over the hotel but especially at the pool bar were fantastic, so busy but still had time to chat and have a laugh with everybody, and very rarely had to wait to get served!
Went to see a couple of the shows - grease and the musicals show which were great but didn't really get involved with any of the other entertainment so cant comment

Only problem that we had was with phone cards as we forgot our tablet!
We were told to take pesos, but everything was in dollars, and the hotel phone cards were only in dollars but the hotel wouldn't change the money, so took a trip into Cancun and bought some from there but the hotel had made it so you could only use theirs so took a few days to be able to contact our daughter in the uk.
So make sure you take a phone/ipad/tablet to use the free wifi in the lobby
Also the location is perfect if you only want to stay on the resort but it is a 45 min walk along the beach to Puerto Morelos and an expensive taxi ride into Cancun and Playa Del Carmen so if you want to explore more I would go to a resort nearer the cities.

Overall a fantastic holiday which would've been even better if it hadn't been so windy and rainy!!
Thankyou Ocean Coral!!

Room Tip: we stayed in room 5406 which was very quiet with great air con and a over bed fan
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank becci_drayton

Dear becci_drayton,
We want to express our gratitude for have chosen our resort for your vacations. It is very gratifying to learn that OCT met your expectations and also that our service, offer and facilities made of your vacation a fantastic experience. We will analyze your comments about the issue with the phone cards as it is the first time tat we receive this type of comment. Thank you for sharing your experience on this site. We will be more than glad to host your next vacations.
Kind regards,

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I love to try different hotels in Cancun. I have been very lucky not to get a really bad one. But I always read reviews from here so that is why I make sure to post one. Me and my girlfriend took a trip Sept 4-8th 2013. It is very humid this time of the year. Usually go when it is cold in KY where we live. I will try and share a little of all and add as many pics as I can.
1. Arrival....This was way out in the middle of nowhere or so it felt to me. The roads going back there are ridiculous. It had rained for three days prior to our arrival so water was standing everywhere in the road along side the road. PLEASE complain about the road going back to this resort.
2. Check in...Was very easy although we arrived around 12ish. We walked around the resort and got some food. We actually got our room about an hour before the normal time.
3. Rooms...We got the balcony room overlooking the ocean but not the most expensive priviliged. It was very nice and clean, however it seemed we walked forever to get to our room. The number was 7303 with double queen beds. Very roomy and clean but oHHHH so damp. Called for a humidifier and received it within the hour. Like you have probably read in earlier reviews the bathroom is open and close to the entry doorway,,,strange! but very clean. You have a tube, shower both and yes the window above the tub opened which we did not do. Toilets are in a separate stall and is private. A small fridge is in your room with a couple of beer off brand, cokes,diet cokes, 7-ups and orange drink, oh and water in bottles. They stock it every day which is very nice. You have any ironing board a nice hair dryer. Plenty of closet space and safe. We got a lot of channels but didn't have time to watch tv. OH by the way we stayed 5 days. Our room was close to the stairs but we managed to handle it since we are 60's. Elevator would have been nice if closer.
4. Eating... We stayed with the buffet and the hamburger, hot dog, pizza places. The other resturants you had to wait in line and sometimes there were a line not too long. However there were not a lot of people there this time of the year. The buffet has everything you could want from meats and light veggies to desserts. Breakfast you could get omlets..very good. Coffee is awesome. For some reason coffee always taste better there. People are very friendly at the buffet and can not do enough for you.
5. Ocean...Very disappointing to me. Lots of seaweed but they do try and contain it. In the water it is somewhat thick but at least not long and stringy. I don't know if it is always cloudy water or if it was from the prior rains but you could not see anything. I don't like that. Otherwise the beaches were kept very clean. Nice covered lounges. We did not walk down the beach which I love to do because I was having back problems and sand is not good to walk in if you have back problems. It was nice. We would go in the mornings and go to the pools in the afternoon. There were 6 pools I know of. One was pretty roudy with the swim up bar and bar right there. People were alway coming around at the pool and beaches to get drinks for you. Very friendly. People along the beaches were selling all kinds of jewelry and scarves so forth. But they were not annoying. there were all kind of sports to do scuba diving, jet skis and so forth. All we did was lay sleep eat and drink. My way of vacationing no longer than we had.. Pools were kept very clean like the whole property was. We stayed at the more calm one where they played bingo and some other games. I want to mention there are a few critter but they will not bother you.

The only negative thing I can say is some of the staff where you check in and out are not that friendly. Maybe they are busy but that needs to be addressed by the supervisors. The girls and guys behind the desk were all pretty much friendly. A few where very friendly. If anyone would like to know more I will glady try and help out just contact me.

Room Tip: Remeber to go to third floor to see ocean. Make sure you get a dehumidifier. It is a must. Ask fo...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank pjcmrc

Dear pjcmrc,
We are truly thankful for choosing our resort for your last vacations. It is good to learn that you found our resort great and that you had a satisfactory experience while staying with us. We would like to thank you for all your positive comments about our resort and also for your observations about our areas of improvement. Thank you for posting your review. We look forward your next visit.
Best regards,

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Pros- the grounds were beautiful. The room was a nice size with a great view. A bit of a musty smell but nothing to bad. The pools were beautiful and very relaxing. The staff for the most part was very friendly and helpful. We got to watch the baby turtles hatch and then set them to sea which was probably one of the best experiences. Also it's neat that they have animals around the resort to take pictures with. The Japanese restaurant was the best. I definitely recommend going to one of the dinner shows.

Cons- to clean the floors they put down soapy water then squeegee it off so when it rained(which was pretty much everyday) the floor was so slick we nearly fell every time. My husband and I were supposed to have a romantic candlelight dinner on Sunday that we had made our reservation for on Thursday and when we got there they had no reservation for us. One night 3 of the restaurants were closed without any notice. One day it rained while we were in the activity pool and they turned the jets off because it was raining. Which didn't make any sense to me because there were still people swimming. Once we asked them to turn them back on it took probably 45 minutes to get someone down there to do so. We did the timeshare presentation and when we chose not to purchase any of the package Chris and Haley were very rude. We decided not to purchase because of money and they kept telling us we could sell our free vacation to pay for it. I told them we weren't interested in doing that and they told me I didn't believe them. I felt like they were calling me a liar.

Overall it was a good trip and we enjoyed ourselves. Just some little things that could have made it a lot better.

• Stayed: September 2013
Excellence Riviera Cancun
Excellence Riviera Cancun
#2 of 27 in Puerto Morelos
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!