“For the second time in Mexico”

Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Brno, Czech Republic
“For the second time in Mexico”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Excellent food, after 9 days we did not think we ran into the same dish. The hotel is very large and thus cause one side to the other takes time. : (Good and helpful staff. Seaside is not as beautiful as in Cancun. Around nothing. Coffees should be incorporated. Whipped milk bad and very hot.'s Main restaurant deserves more employees. Often we were not handled during breakfast / lunch / dinner.We stayed at the pool 1, all the time we have with him picking up towels. Only the last day we were refused that we have to pool number 3 From there it is only for the privilage guests. Where we were torn and stained blankets. That was about the only reluctant employee. Otherwise I would have given full evaluation!

Room Tip: Do not take the cheapest room (Junior Suite). At least Junior Suite ocean view ocean even though the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Kosmicek,
We want to express our gratitude for posting your review on this site. It is good to learn that you were satisfied with your experience and that you appreciated our food offer and the helpfulness of our staff. On the other hand, we lament that you found some aspects of your stay that were not of your total satisfaction. Be sure that your suggestions will be analyzed and actions will be taken if needed. We would like to express our gratitude for your positive remarks, and sharing with us that, besides the mentioned issues, you were satisfied with the hotel in general. We hope to have the opportunity to host your vacations in the future.
Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,525)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
blackonblackta
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I just returned home from OCT, and felt that I needed to get my review done while everything was still fresh in my head. We were there for 7 days, and traveled with another couple.

Out of everyone's control. The weather. It was rainy. But the temps were still warm, and even on the over cast days, there were still peaks of sun and plenty of pool time. We did have a couple sunny days at the end of the week, and again enjoyed the pools.

Out of the staff's control. Some of the other guests. Made for great people watching. I'll leave it at that. Nothing that would make me drop my rating, as I am even tempered and have a good sense of humor. Everything made for great stories. Only downside was we had some rowdy neighbors the last couple nights that played loud strange music late at night and woke me up. I complained to the front desk, buried my head in my pillows, and went back to bed.

Check in was fast, and our rooms were ready about an hour and a half before "scheduled check in at 3pm." We made it to the resort about noon, and they showed us to a restaraunt to grab some lunch, and by the time we scoped the resort out a little and were ready to get changed for the pools, our rooms were ready. We received a free upgrade to ocean view, and it was amazing. We were in the top floor of building 12, which is connected to the lobby. I really think these were the most convenient rooms at the resort. Close to all the restaraunts, lobby bar, and pools. And an awesome view .

Like most/all the reviews have said, you are pretty much approached right after check in by a "premium" rep. They sit you down and point out where things are at the hotel. Then ask you to meet them for a special breakfast in the morning. They want to sell you a discount room deal thing. Not a timeshare, just a discount pass basically. They wanted to meet at 9am and we told them we wanted to sleep in on our first morning in. And bumped to closer to 11am. They offered both me and the other couple $100 cash each to listen to them, so we figured even if it took 2 hours it was worth the money. Met them the next morning, skipped special breakfast(not special it is in the buffet with everyone else) and sat at a table for drink, then a tour of one of the super nice suites, and then up more stairs to the office. Nice bartender makes you a drink and you sit down with a rep and notepad and sharpie and start seeing numbers and plans and what not. It possibly is a good deal... but there was just no way we were committing ourselves to a 7k-40k vacation share plan. Got through the presentation, back to the lobby, and me and my buddy both walked away with a crisp $100 bill. Hour and a half.

Room was really nice I thought. Bed was a little hard (memory foam at home) and the pillows weren't the greatest. I slept fine though, considering I always get my best nights sleep in my own bed at home. Mini fridge had a couple waters, pops, and 2 cans of beer. No worries though, the bars never ran out of alcohol. Only complaint was one evening I put a couple dollar bills on the dresser to dry out from being in the pool, and I even covered them with my shirt so they weren't visible, and when we got in for the night they were gone. I am guessing the turn down staff took it. Mind you I had been tipping housecleaning a couple bucks a day. I was definitely alarmed to see that money gone especially because it was not in plain sight and under clothes. Needless to say, all valuables, especially bills were locked in the safe 24/7.

Food was pretty decent. Buffet always had something. Mexican restaraunt was very so-so. Italian was a little bit better. Sensai at the regular table was ok. Sensai at the hibachi grill seats was awesome. Ate there twice. Need to get there somewhere between 5:30-6 to make reservations for the hibachi grill. Because the 'shows' are at 6, 7:30, and 9pm. The restaraunt beside the main pool had a very nice meal in the evening. If we would have had two nights to eat at the same place twice this would have been the other place along with the hibachi grill. Needed a little extra one night, and ate some food at route66. It was ok. Nothing great, but decent.

Grounds were well kept, and for the size of resort it is, I thought they did a nice job. Not sure if it was just the timing and rain water, but the ocean water was brown. Didn't look that great. It was warm though, and once you got through the seaweed it was nice. Sand was white and soft. Played several games of sand volleyball.

Pools were plenty spacious while we were there (off peak) and we usually were ready to camp out spot by 9 or 10 after breakfast, and had the same spot almost everyday. We spent most of the time at the swim up bar pool. Once we made friends with the bartender, the drinks didn't stop. I can see how people could complain about waiting for drinks. We made friends with the bartender and sometimes it was even slow then. But I really think the resort is understaffed in that department. Ruben was awesome though. Thanks so much for making our days fun, and all the different drinks you would make us.

The 4 of us got an hour spa/massage package. We all loved it. And thought that was money well spent. $150/couple, but since we grabbed that $100 earlier in our trip, it made it very cheap out of pocket.

Lastly, if you are still reading, we were invited to the Chef's dinner. If you are invited to do this, absolutely say yes. We were just sitting in the lobby one evening enjoying whatever music was being played and we were approached and asked if we would like to attend. We said sure, and it didn't disappoint. We were escorted on a short tour of the food preparation area for the whole resort by the executive chef. Then served a nice meal from a menu he selected. Very fun evening, and was a special touch to our nice vacation.

Overall, OCT was great. We were there 7 days, and never grew tired of being there. We even planned on doing excursions and going to town once we were bored, but we never got bored. I'd only suggest that they might need to beef up on staff some, but other than that, we had an excellent time.

Room Tip: We loved 4th floor of building 12. I thought it was an excellent location.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank blackonblackta
Dear blackonblackta,
Thank you for choosing our resort for your last vacation and for sharing your opinion about your stay with us. It is rewarding to read that your experience was satisfactory and that you enjoyed our facilities, offer and services. Also, that you were delighted with the exquisite creations of our Head Chef at the Chef’s Table dinner. We want to express our gratitude for your suggestions and for taking the time to post your review on this site. We look forward your next vacations at our resort.
Kind regards,
Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Our party of 7 arrived at OCT on 19/08/13, when we arrived we were greeted by pleasant staff at the reception desk who made us feel most welcome, we had Emailed the hotel prior to arrival to request that our 4 rooms were as close together as possible and also in block 8 which they managed to do for us, Thankyou Joaquin from customer services,

The rooms were lovely, and very clean, the sea view was great, especially at sunrise.

The restaurants were all very good with lots of choice for everyone, our favourite,s were sensai and the outdoor italian, the buffet restaurant was good especially when you just wanted to have dinner without the hastle off getting dressed up, the staff in there were very attentive, special thankyou to buffet staff, Miralbelli, Antonco & Silva who made our friends 40th birthday breakfast very special. Daniel in the steak restaurant was very nice too.

We were also invited to Chef Ramirez table which was fantastic, the tour of the kitchen was great, once again thankyou Joaquin.

The lobby bar at night was nice was,nt too busy, except the nights it rained, the waiting staff were also very nice and very attentive, especially Blanca, who was lovely, and would always keep coming back to us with drinks, I think she was trying to get us drunk lol.

As a previous guest i would definitely come back

Overall it was great holiday, great hotel & great staff, well done

• Stayed August 2013
Dear scoot1978,
With reward we learn that your requests were fulfilled and managed by Joaquin form Guests Service, and also to that we were able to provide you with a great experience on your second visit to our resort. We truly appreciate your kind comments about the good service provided by the mentioned members of our staff and your experience at our Chef’s Table dinner with our Head Chef Alan Ramirez. Thank you for your loyalty to our resort and for choosing us for your last vacations. We hope to have the opportunity to host your next visit to our country.
Warm regards,
Liege, Belgium
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Thank's a lot it's very beautiful time very nice place and also to say thank's a lot for the team Monica, Silvia, Rodrigo and the reste for the good time they give us, the staff in the poolbar are very likeable, the room was kept clean.
Denis Cuypers.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank DenispointS
Dear DenispointS,
We are grateful for sharing your comments about your last vacations at our resort. It is good to learn that you had a beautiful experience and that you appreciated the friendliness of our pool bar staff and also Monica, Silvia and Rodrigo from the entertainment staff. Be sure that your comments will be shared with them. We would like to thank you for choosing our resort for your vacations. We look forward your next visit.
Bests,
Kingsville, Canada
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is my second time to Ocean Coral. The resort has everything you need for a great vacation. The first time I went I was on a girls week away, no kids, no spouses. We had a blast! The second time I went with my husband and another couple, and, we had a blast! The buffet food was very good and we went to the Italian restaurant, the Mexican one, the 50's diner , the crepe restaurant and EVERY night visited Mike's coffee house. All the food was amazing.The rooms are very spacious, with a large balcony. The ocean is right there and of course, the pool with its daily entertainment. One night, vendors come in and set up displays so you can buy souvenirs.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank small_2wn_girl_63
Dear small_2wn_girl_63,
We would like to express our gratitude for your positive remarks, and sharing with us that you were satisfied with your second visit to our resort. We extend our gratitude for taking the time to share your opinion and we will be glad to welcome you again in your next vacations.
Best regards,
Rowlett, TX
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed 5 nights at Ocean Coral & Turquesa in mid-July 2013. It was my 8th (I think) visit to this resort. I love this place. Usually I go with a friend, but this time I went with family including 2 children ages 5 and 7 and they had a blast! I really enjoyed seeing my favorite vacation spot from their little perspectives. I knew it was a success with the 7 year old told me on the last night that he wanted to stay for 2 weeks! When I asked what his favorite part was he said he couldn't name one part that it was all his favorite! It made my trip worthwhile. I wish I had left this review sooner so I could remember the name of the 2 people at the Privilege Beach that took such great care of us! Unfortunately now I cannot remember their names, but I know the management will know. The "beach butler" was amazing! Every morning he made sure to reserve a spot for us and to include one of the beach beds so the boys had a place to nap. He would set up our water and towels and wait for us. He made our dinner reservations for us each night (though after the first few nights we just went to the buffet which the children much preferred). He gave us lots of good information about local stuff and was just generally a wonderful guy. The waitress was also great! We ran out of $1's because we kept tipping so often because we were so pleased. The resort accommodated my request to get our 2 rooms fairly close together and in the building I always like (building 6 or 7) and made sure our rooms had the appropriate number of beds and just generally took care of us. My only complaint (and I hope this is read in the manner in which I intend it) is that my last 2 trips there, the resort is VERY crowded on the weekends. It seems they open up the resort to locals (which I completely understand), but it gets so very crowded you can't hardly even get in the pool with the swim up bar. I understand their desire to make it available to local patrons, but I just wonder if there shouldn't be a limit on the number of day/weekend passes sold and take into consideration how very crowded it gets with all the extra people. As long as I stayed at the Privilege beach (and I usually do), then it wasn't a major deal. It never affected lines or table or food availability at mealtime. Just made the pools a little crowded. I just returned from a visit to their sister property closer to Playa del Carmen (called Ocean Maya Royale) and I far prefer OCT to OMR. I won't be returning to OMR (see my review there if you like), but I will always make time for my favorite people and place of OCT. (Did I mention that the people at the Privilege desk not only recognize me from year to year but make it a point to remember your room number so they know who you are when you walk up to ask a question. Amazing! How can they remember all of our room numbers?!) Impeccable service!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear NLB20,
We want to express our gratitude for your loyalty to our resort and for sharing your comments about your 8th stay at our resort. It is rewarding to learn that we have set a standard of quality and service for you that we have been able to maintain through the years, and that is the reason why you return to OCT year after year. Furthermore, it is rewarding to learn that on this occasion you were able to share and enjoyable time with your family, and contrasts your experience with the other members of your family. In regard to your comment about the local visitors, we would like to enlighten that our resort is open to all types of nationalities. Since your dates of stay at OCT coincide with the Mexican summer holidays, you found a bigger amount of local guests at our resort, which pay the same rate per night as any other guest from any other country. We are thankful for the kind comments about our Privilege services and staff, and for taking the time to post your review. We look forward your next visit to this, your home in a near future.
Warm regards,
Huntington, New York
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a six night stay at Ocean Coral. We wanted an affordable place to celebrate our 25th anniversary as we have two kids in college this year.

O.K. First impression....very nice that you are greeted at the check-in with a drink. We thought we wanted to be in a "quiet area"....however, when we checked into our room, we were far away from the action and the musty order of the room was brutal. Having read tripadvisor before vacationing, I had known this would be an issue. We decided to change rooms and I'm glad we did. It still had that musty smell (not as bad) which was rectified with a dehumidifier. The room is a nice size. The bed was comfortable and we asked them to be pushed together since they didn't have a queen bed. The pillows were lumpy.

The resort is beautiful. The pools are awesome and we never had a difficult time getting a lounge chair. There is always something going on with activities if you choose to participate. The wait staff is awesome roaming around poolside and the beach asking if we wanted anything from the bar. Stay away from the house wine....wow, it was horrible!

The beach isn't "dirty" ....it is a losing battle trying to keep ahead of the seaweed that washes up. There is a tractor that comes by many times a day to chop it up. It's true that the water doesn't have that gorgeous blue water that you expect to see. I still loved sitting under an umbrella every day on the beach.

The food was really amazing! I like that at the restaurants they give you a normal portion of food so that you aren't feeling too stuffed. The Sensi restaurant was awesome and we ate there two times. We also liked the mexican and itallian restaurants. The buffet was great for breakfast.

The staff is so friendly and they can't do enough for you.

The shows were really good.

All in all my husband and I were happy that we went to Ocean Coral. I would recommend this to anyone that is on a budget because I think you get a lot of bang for your buck at this place.

Room Tip: get a dehumidifier as soon as you get to your room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Audrey K
Dear Audrey,
Thank you for taking the time to post your experience at OCT while celebrating your 25th wedding anniversary. We are glad to read that we were able to provide you with an enjoyable stay and also, that you found a great variety of activities, facilities and offer. Furthermore, that you found a great value in our resort and our offer. We are thankful for taking your time to post your experience and we look forward your next vacations at OCT.
Kind regards,
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#8 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!