“Great Resort- Shameful Timeshare Pitch” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ocean Coral & Turquesa

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ranked #13 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Regina, Canada
“Great Resort- Shameful Timeshare Pitch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

We have just returned from a wonderful week at the Ocean Coral (August 19-26). The resort is beautiful and well maintained. There are 3 pools, one with a swim up bar. Towel service is generally good but there is no towel service at the swim up bar so you need to go over to either of the other pools and bring them back with you. There were generally enough loungers but sometimes you had to scrounge around and gather them up if you wanted more than one. The beach was delightful. the water is calm due to the reef being 1/2 a kilometer off shore. Seaweed is deposited on shore, tractors regularly comb the beach to remove it. There are plenty of loungers on the beach. At times Most of them were occupied but like the pool we were able to pull a couple together.

The staff were incredible, always wanting to make sure guest needs were cared for. There was even a server working around the pools and beach area taking drink orders. That was an unexpected pleasure. I think that they could use some extra help in the main dining room. It was difficult to get refills of water, drinks or morning coffee. One thing that would make things easier is to install a pop/beer dispenser along with a coffee urn. Guests have to get up and get food, they can easily refill their drinks at the same time. Generally in the mornings we had to "steal" mugs from other tables.

Our room was a Junior Suite with an ocean view on the 4th floor of building 10. It was very spacious and clean. Geny expertly prepared our room every morning and left a different towel animal on the bed. There was a fridge in the room that was stocked with a couple of cans of beer, pop and water. The bathroom was stocked with soap and shampoo (we brought along a bar of our favorite soap and shampoo just in case). The view was spectacular. The way the room is constructed and where the bed was placed we were able to leave our curtains open at night to be greeted by the beautiful sunrise over the ocean each morning. No one was able to look that deep into our room.

The food was was above average for an all inclusive. The main dining room was very good. We ate every breakfast and a couple of dinners there. We also quite enjoyed their Japanese restaurant Sensai. The Tepanyaki show should not be missed. The Italian restaurant was excellent. Men need to be dressed in long pants in order to be seated inside. If you brought shorts you'll be eating outside and for some reason there are different menus inside and out. Most lunches were enjoyed at Villa Marina which featured grilled fish and meat. This was also very good. We tried to get into the Mexican restaurant but were unsuccessful. We had expected that the specialty restaurants would be by reservation only but it is on a first come first served basis. Once they opened at 6:00 PM you could make a reservation for that evening only. We brought our own large drink cups which came in very handy as the resort glasses are rather small.

We were very disappointed in the timeshare pitch and the parent company H10 should be ashamed of itself. This practically ruined our holiday just as it was getting started and it is the only reason why I might not consider another H10 resort. Following check-in we were greeted by a very pleasant person who offered us a tour of the resort the following morning. She also told us to skip breakfast because we would be taken for a "special" breakfast. Maybe I'm naive, I expected a special breakfast and a tour.

The following morning we met out guide who promptly took us to the main dining room; there was no special breakfast, only the regular one. Following our meal we were given a brief tour of the resort and shown premium rooms and facilities. Then we were taken to a business office where the pitch began. Our representative brought out a yellow pad and a Sharpie and started to draw boxes with explanation of how the "Privilege" club works. The price started at 40K and then the pressure was put on because all of the following offers would only be valid until 12:30 PM. We said that we were on vacation and were not prepared to layout any kind of money without thinking it over. We were accused of wasting their time (imagine that, and we were the ones on vacation). I did not appreciate the hard sell or the misrepresentation of the offer of a tour of the facilities. They even said that we would be eligible for a $200.00 voucher to use as we wished. In order to receive the voucher we were required to return to the business office and "sign out". As this likely involved another last minute sales pitch we bailed out and left the voucher on the table.

Do yourselves a favour and runaway in the opposite direction when they make this pitch to you.

Room Tip: Junior Suite Ocean View
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MacBerg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,433)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Just returned from a 2 week holiday. The hotel is great and very clean, staff are always cleaning. Plenty of sunbeds around the pools and you dont have to get up at stupid o'clock to reserve a bed, 8am is fine.
The rooms were lovely, no wifi in rooms though! Maid service was ok, they clean the bathroom and straighten the beds but never straighten the rest of the room up or fold your pjs, mine were thrown on the floor one day.
The restaurants were good, plenty of choice for adults and children who are not very fussy, my daughter lived on grilled chicken and chips for 2 weeks because she is a very fussy eater. The Italian restaurant was by far the best, you can't reserve a table, you turn up and if they have a free table you can go in but if the haven't they give you a buzzer and you can go have a drink while waiting.
Beach: If your wanting bright blue crystal clear water then this hotel is not for you. Then staff do clear the seaweed daily but it doesn't solve the problem and water is not the crystal clean blue you get in cancun, but you can still swim in it .
Location wise, the hotel is quite far away from cancun, if you want to go shopping but don't want to go on the organised trip it will cost you about £90 there and back, the driver will stay with you for the day but its expensive.
Waiter service was very slow, we stayed around the active pool and the waiter service there, for 5 star, was rubbish. I think the girl just had to many people to serve. Waiter service in the lobby was even slower! We did tip but didnt get any better service for tipping.
We did a few trips. Swan with dolphins at Xel-ha, that was amazing! We did the pirate boat, which was good if you like a party boat, plus we couldn't see most of the entertainment on board, would rather go on a lazy catamaran trip! And we did speed boating through the mangroves, that was fab to.
One of the down sides to our trip was the very loud Americans. A loud group of Americans turned up, with a load of children. The kids were ill mannered and naughty, the parents were happy to spend most of their time at the bar while the kids rand a mock around the active pool.
The entertainment team were good , they didnt try and pressure you into activities.
On the whole we had a good holiday, would we go back? No, would like to try somewhere different next year.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank kljones9
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Beautiful resort and fantastic service! We loved every bit of it! The Mexican people are so friendly and work so hard to offer spectacular service! The rooms were nice, the grounds were very well maintained, the beach was beautiful. The food was average, but the drinks were great. Even without the premium wristband, quality liquors were available (Jose Cuervo, Svedka, Captain Morgan..). The restaurants that are open at night are pretty good and we loved the coffee shop. I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for a great resort at a budget price! I travel a lot and was not disappointed!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Hannah P
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

My husband and I traveled to Ocean Coral & Turquesa with 26 of our family and friends for our destination wedding. It was everyone's first time being at this resort. Could not say enough good things about the experience!!! The rooms and grounds were gorgeous, staff was always friendly, lots of activities to do, food was great, pools were awesome, and the weather was gorgeous (we went the first weekend in August). I would highly recommend this resort, it is so affordable, but you're not giving up any quality because of that!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Merrily S
mom2ltlman
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

We just returned from our trip and wanted to post a few tips and details. We were in rooms 19204 and 19201 and did not upgrade for the privilege at $59 per person PER DAY...even kids. Let me say I am glad we passed on the upgrade because we didn't need it. Upon arrival we checked In at the front desk and were give a welcome drink. Several weeks before our arrival we requested a king bed and a crib. No one knew of these requests. They issues all the warni gs about costs I gloved in not returning room safe key, bracelets, towel keys etc. We were checked in by a new staff member who was clueless. She told us things about our stay that were not true. We were celebrating my sons 3rd birthday and were told they would make him a cake. That never happened. The lobby staff was mostly incompetent and not friendly. The rooms smell from moisture and you must request a dehumidifier! It helps but all my bags smell even after returning home.

Let me get to the better aspects of the trip.

The waitstaff could not have been nicer! Always polite and smiling. We ate in most of the restaurants and our favorite was the Italian. We ate there twice. We have young kids so like to eat early. If you arrive at the popular restaurants when they open at 6, you will never wait for a table. Dinners take about 2 hours from beginning to end so really you finish at 8, perfect. The coffee shop was our favorite place to go for snacks as well as great tuna croissant sandwiches to bring to the pool. The buffet was way better than I expected and some of the food was even better than at the prime restaurants. The green chilie enchiladas at breakfast were my favorite! Beds in the room were firm and comfortable. Maid service comes late in the afternoon but if you leave her a few $ she will leave extra towels, water, etc...

Beach.
Powdery whie sand with plenty of lounges. You wait longer to get a drink here but you will get one. They rake the seaweeds all the time and didn't mind it. The water is not clear like in Cancun but you can see fish swimming right at the shore. Vendors on the beach are polite and friendly. Bargain with them if want to buy. They come down about 40% from the original price.

Pools.
We mostly stayed at the activities pool. It was lovely and perfect for us. First few days there it was full but not crowded. We enjoyed it. Drink service comes regularly and if you tip a couple of $, they come back. Last days we were there large busses of people checked in and they were trashy. They were loud, didn't watch their kids, and made the pool unpleasant. I have four kids and always know where they are and what they are doing. If I can watch my four kids...they can certainly watch one or two.
The swim up pool bar pool was loud and rowdy with too many drunken idiots. Not for us. We left after 20 minutes. Kids pool was quiet and just right. My only issue is that the snack bars around the pool,close too early and you can't get anything to drink for kids.

Hotel gift shop.
Great merchandise at really reasonable prices. The jewelry shop attached to the gift shop has lovely pieces. My mother and I purchased several things there. The items were pricey but hoped were were getting quality pieces. I bought a bracelet for $100 which fell off after 3 hours, never to be seen again.

Guest services.
Forget calling them for anything. They have no idea what they are doing. You get bounced from person to person and never get what you need.

TIPS for travel.

BRING BUG SPRAY! My young son and I got eaten alive in the room the first night. Little red dots appeared all over. Follow by attacks of mosquitoes! We called the front desk who told me they would send up an "expert" in this aren to fumigate the room and explain everything to us. He did not speak English at all. Told us nothing and left wet chemicals all over the floor. It didn't help. What did help was a bath towel blocking the open space under the front door which is where all the bugs came in from.
They seem to prefer US dollars, bring lots of singles.
If you want a chair by the pool you better get up early, before 8.
Have the mocha frappe at Mikes coffee.

Overall, not a bad trip, just not my favorite. Will I return? No, I don't think so. But we have some lovely memories and sweet pictures.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank mom2ltlman
Va Beach, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

We visited OCT the week of Aug. 17-24 with 5 couples ranging from 25 -65. All of us opted for the privilege upgrade which is well worth it for the food and reservations if anything else. I've read several reviews for the past 6 mths and was recommended OCT from family who are H10 members. I have been to 10 different hotels in MX and can honestly give a rating of what I think OCT is to those who have visited other hotels. We paid about the same at each place so it wasn't like we expected a 5 star resort.

The hotel is definitely dated and could use some updating throughout the rooms and other areas of the property. We knew from the pictures posted the rooms were not like other hotels that have marble floors, large bathrooms, nice decor but it was still disappointing. The furniture is cheap, dated and old. Bed linens are worn and rough from so many washings. The bathroom setup is not too bad, but honestly you can hear "everything" when one is on the toilet while you sit and wait in the other room. So if you are looking for privacy there isn't too much here. Keep in mind if you have little one who needs a bath, well there aren't bathtubs in the room. There is a hot tub and shower outside on your patio. I know the standard rooms have tubs but the bathroom is smaller. If you are on the 2nd or 3rd floor and use the outdoor shower on your patio, the water runs over the side to the next floor onto the patio. So if you sitting on your patio and hear running water above you make a run for it! Maid service was excellent for us and cleaned everyday, but others in our family (also privileged) it was hit or miss.

We were told to request Bldg 6,7 or 8. They are centered between the activity pool and quiet pool with patios facing out toward either pool depending which bldg you're in. The Privilege lounge (also knows as Fusion) is within a 2-3 minute walk. We ended up in Bldg 2 which was more quiet and private and not in the center of everything. The H10 couple had two beds pushed together with a rock hard bed. We requested several times a foam mattress which did not come until day 3. Their refrigerator was barely stocked and room cleaning was every other day. Be sure to request soft pillows the moment you check in otherwise you will get rock hard pillows that feel like foam shredded in a pillow case. They are horrible pillows and should throw all of them out! In addition, ask for a dehumidifier. It makes a huge difference with the humidity in the room.

We tried the buffet out for breakfast and dinner and honestly it was the worse buffet Ive been too. I've been to several hotels and this was by far the most disappointing. It's great for children who like to pick little things here and there, but for an adult who has been to other resorts will be disappointed. The fruit and bread selection is limited, very little meat or fish selections. I am by no means picky but was just so disappointed. I've never been to a buffet where you had to wait in line, finally get seated and then no one even acknowledge you for 15-20 min for a drink. The area is small and barely air conditioned so by 9am it's already stuffy. We have always loved eating at buffets just to try the different foods, but by the second day the service was so lack of we ate at the Priviledge restaurant the rest of the week. You can't blame the staff because this is clearly a mgmt issue where more people need to be added to the floor. At 9 am there were only 2 people working the whole seating area running around like chickens. At least if there were self-service drink machines this would be easier on the staff.

At the Priviledge the waiters will bend over backwards to wait on you. The menu changes every two days and the food is cooked fresh to order. Breakfast varies from fresh yogurt and fruits, rolls, a variety of eggs cooked to order, cereals, etc. We had tapas for lunch twice which were excellent! We had the lobster dinner which was excellent. The place is well decorated, air conditioned with a "top shelf" bar inside. We had anything from Budweiser to Patron shots to any top shelf liquor you want. Top shelf liquor is also available at the swim up bar. We never had to wait long, unless you are large group, for our food. It was served quick, hot and fresh everytime. Tips are generally included in your pkg but we always tipped. The service was always so impressive and we knew they greatly appreciated what ever we left.

Pools are nice but again I was disappointed they do not offer rafts of any sort. Other resorts always offered rafts for children or adults. So on that note be sure to bring your own swim toy. There is a guy at the quiet pool where towels are given who has a variety of blowup rafts that vary (thanks to previous guest who leave them) A little tip and you can have anything you want for the day. We stayed at the quiet pool most of the time only because it gets a little rowdy some days more than others. I was again disappointed because the Quiet pool is by no means monitored for children running around, doing back flips, jumping over people, etc. There are 3 other pools where children can run around and have a great time. At one point we counted 29 kids in the pool. The crepe restaurant during the day is a little buffet with chips, cheese, little veggies, etc. Just enough to snack on. The activity pool is fun and there are games everyday. The swim up suite is small and usually only 2 guys trying to take care of people. There should be at least 4 or 5 guys during peak season.

The beach is exactly what everybody says...tons of seaweed! If you go swimming there are sea lice and jelly fish. We sat in the "privilege area" one day for 5 hrs with not a single person coming out to ask if we wanted anything. I had to go to the Privilege lounge to get drinks. The water is not clear unless you go out far, but you are not allowed to go past a certain marker because of the protected reef.

We did the snorkel tour and dolphin tour and loved both. We booked through the hotel using Olympus.

I did a Spa pkg which was sold to me by a girl (Dianna) at the pool. She was wonderful and well worth the money. The spa is small but the girls really know what they are doing there. One of the best massages I've ever had!

No carts for pickup, elevators broken throughout the hotel.

I could go on but we tried to make the best of it. I'm just thankful we opted to go the privilege pkg otherwise I think we would have been even more disappointed. Trust me if you have been to other resorts this is the way to go. The bracelet they give you for privilege makes a difference because as soon as staff notices you have it on their attitude definitely changes.

Room Tip: Request soft pillows, dehumidifier
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank mryesc
Springfield, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

This was our second trip to Mexico and we were so excited about this hotel as we had read great reviews. Let me tell you, what a disappointment! We went with a group of 12 people for 5 days. Let's start from the hotel room: very out-dated, had a musty smell, and the AC didn't work most of the time even though we complained to the front desk. Beach water was so dirty - if you are looking for clear water, this is not the hotel for you. Furthermore, the drinks were extremely watered down and the buffet food was just average. At one of the restaurants, Route 66, we waited 45 minutes before we sat down and another 30 minutes to get the food. Service was really poor. One of the only good restaurants was Mike's; loved their coffee and cake. Overall, we will never come back to this hotel for sure...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#22 of 181 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 20,386 reviews

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!