“Great experience”

Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ranked #13 of 27 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I just came back on Friday with my best friend from what was one of the most enjoyable 2 weeks ever. I obviously had my worries before going, and after over a 10 hour flight, I wanted to come to somewhere that I could relax and unwind. We arrived, and were offered drinks and taken personally to the check-in desk, where they were friendly and helpful and could answer our questions how we liked. We were then taken to our rooms, and our luggage was taken up. First impression of our room; Very spacious and very clean. Our fridge was filled up with a good selection of drinks, and our bathroom was huge (private toilet, shower room and bath (that overlooked the room (a pro point) this unfortunately got changed in ALL rooms a week into our stay, into a nice decorative pattern. But made the room look great still. The restaurants; had a wide selection of restaurants. These were all on a first come first served basis which was new to me, as usually in hotels you get given a certain amount of times to attend restaurants. This was definitely a pro to the hotel. You had a Japanese, 2 Italian restaurants, Mexican, American, French and Caribbean. You also had the buffet. During the day you had the choice of buffet and Caribbean (which was turned into a snack bar). All the restaurants were nice, however the stand out restaurant was the Japanese. It was just excellent. I'm gutted we didn't get to go more to this restaurant, but the atmosphere and the service was definitely best in the particular restaurant. The Mexican and the American were also a possible favourite. However, we didn't like the buffet restaurant. We complained to the front desk about the service given as it just wasn't to point, and considering these lovely people live mainly on tips, they were not earning it. At breakfast, on a couple of occasions we did not even get asked about drinks and just ended up leaving. However the food wasn't bad, but you had other restaurants that you would prefer to go to. One other point also, even though it was great that the restaurants were on a first come first served, the privilege members were offered to book. This was a pain, as it found it hard getting a table at a reasonable time (i.e. 7.30-8.30) a lot of times we had to wait till 9pm. The entertainment staff were great, and we actually met some amazing, respectable people that work there and I would like to thank them for making our trip that extra special, a special thanks to Monica, Rodrigo and Riango. The selection of games during the day were great (even though I didn't really want to participate, the fact they enjoyed their job so much to get other people involved made it extra special) and the shows in the evening were great, and me and my friend were lucky enough to be apart of their Disney show on our last night, so thanks to them. There were 4 pools, our favourite being the bar pool! Drink selection was excellent, and bar staff were friendly and willing to let us try different drinks. The lobby was spacious and nice area to chill out in (a free Wi-Fi if anyone likes that). We travelled by first choice, an English company that I always fly by. No problems with them, however NEVER saw our rep apart from the welcome meeting (of which it wasn't our actual rep, it was a standby). Got to go out the hotel a couple of times, and it was VERY safe, and the lobby staff were happy to help. Went to Cancun also, which was nice but would prefer to stay in Riviera Maya! Overall great holiday and would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who was considering going. Aside from my bad points, you may have better points so still worth a consider.

Room Tip: Our room was facing the pool, and we didn't have any problems. However, they did have a pool par...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Siany768

Reviewed July 24, 2013

My family and friends attended my sister's wedding and Ocean Coral & Torquesa. It was the perfect venue! They had great staff and above average quality food and drink for the normal all inclusive option. There were multiple pools with an abundance of different events at each through the day and night. The beach was great too; soft sand and big. It was much better than the rocky beach by the resort I stayed at last time when we were closer to downtown Cancun. There was even a nice grassy area that was private enough to hold the ceremony, since we didn't want to get her dress all sandy. I would definitely go back!

1  Thank Phil T
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This hotel was amazing for me and my family, had loads to do through the day with the entertainment team suck beach volleyball, beach soccer and many more. The only downside to the hotel is the evenings before the party get started, shows are the the same every week so if you stay for two weeks don't watch the show twice. The hotel is extremely clean with decent guest service in a good area with the beach but nothing is near there such as shops etc. definitely go and give it a try, best holiday of my life

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank HaydenCarter99
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We just returned a few weeks ago from the Ocean Turquesa and it was amazing!!!! We were 15 people. We were 4 families with kids ranging from 2 to 11 years old.

Hotel: Not too big. It’s really nice to have everything close by such as the beach, pools, rooms and restaurants. Nice lobby, beautiful grounds, friendly staff, check in was a breeze. This resort offers a lot for families and couples.

Rooms: The rooms were very spacious and clean. Nice Decor. Yolanda cleaned our room everyday and did a great job. Always had bottled water in the mini fridge and clean towels as well.

Beach: You can walk along the beach its nice and long. A little bit of sea weed but really not a big deal. They are constantly cleaning it. Nice beach chairs and huts for the shade. Activities all day long and you can also relax and do nothing. We always found chairs on the beach and the pool. For those who wake up at 11 a.m. they might not get so lucky.

Food: I`ve been a travel agent for the last 13 years and have been too many all inclusive resorts 4 1/2 - 5 star resorts in Mexico, Cuba, Bahamas, Jamaica and the food was one of the best I`ve seen.
The buffet is very good with lots to choose from. The A La carte restaurants were excellent. Nice presentation and delicious. You can get great coffees and deserts at Mikes Café. I miss those frappuccinos.
They invited us for my birthday to the ``Chef`s Dinner`` and it was an amazing experience. We got to visit all the kitchens in the resort where they make and prepare all to food for their guests and it was SPOTTLESS!!! Extremely clean, you could eat off the floor! It was very special. Thank you Chef Alan!!!

Shows: Were entertaining. The Disney show for us was the best. The kids really enjoyed it.

We did not reserve the privilege. We did not feel the difference. For us the biggest perk for privilege guests was that they could make reservations for the A la carte restaurants. Other then that it was fine. At times it was long to get a table but they give you a beeper for when your table is ready so we just hung out at the lobby or Mikes. People need to chill out. I saw some crazy guests screaming for a table at the hostests. Very rude! Your on vacation people....Relax!

20 mins away from Cancun airport. We took a transfer with USA transfers. Great service.

I will be recommending this resort to all my customers.

Thank you Ocean Turquesa. Hope to see you again soon:-)

Room Tip: Don`t forget to TIP!
2  Thank vacation201079
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Didn't want to come home....great time, hotel is fantastic, clean, easy to get around, staff is super friendly and can't do enough for you. Rooms are clean, only problem was the mini fridge only got restocked every 2 or 3 days, and the fridge will not get cold......We had no problems getting loungers on the beach, but more hastle by the pools.....ocean was like bath water, just a little sea grasss, but nothing to complain about. Restaurants were okay, nothing special, but something for everyone....we liked the mexican the best, and you have to go to the creppiere and have a suzette, amazing.
Do not buy any excursions from the hotel lobby, go online and get them from cheap cancun discounts, we saved $60 for 2 excursions....they have volleyballs, soccer balls, tennis raquets,etc so don't worry about the recreational aspect, lots to do.
Lot's of kids, they never get bored.....nightly shows were okay, nothing special, but were entertaining......all in all, great value.
ps. don't worry about the weather reports, everytime i looked it said it was going to down pour. I t rains for 5 minutes, and then the sun comes out again so don't worry about your weather when your there.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank candyman_13
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We just returned from a 5 nights at OCT with our group of 19. This was our fourth trip to a Mexican all-inclusive resort. We've stayed twice now in Puerto Morelos and twice on Cozumel. The bottom line of my review? I enjoyed our time at OCT, though I'd choose a different resort next time now that I've experienced this one.

PROS:

- Excellent, super-friendly staff. Didier showed us to our room and was incredibly welcoming and well-spoken. Rodrigo and the entertainment staff did a wonderful job of interacting with guests. Another waiter at breakfast went out of his way to make us special mimosas with peach liqueur (wish I could remember his name). The staff work very, very hard to make your stay enjoyable. Though you don't have to tip, please reward the hard-working folks who deserve it.

- The drinks and food from the restaurants were pretty good. I especially enjoyed the Drink of the Day feature, and occasionally would be able to catch one of the waitstaff carrying a tray of the drink around the pools. We had very little issues getting into the restaurants without reservations. Most nights we were seated immediately. We enjoyed Sensai the most. Even the picky ones in our party were able to find something they liked.

- Great night life activities for all ages. Loved the DJ nights with lots of great Latin and Reggaeton songs intermixed with American hits. The theater shows were always packed and overflowing into the courtyard, so arrive early if you really want to see a show. If you are the type of person who can't appreciate amateur theatre, don't bother attending because you'll be disappointed. Sure, they're lip-syncing and dancing, but it's the same entertainment staff who are leading games and aerobics and yoga and Zumba and ... these folks try really hard and have to be jacks of all trades. They do a nice job for not being full-time stage performers.

- Rooms were much better than I expected from the photos and reviews. We had an awesome view from room 19401. It was clean and cool. Others in our group did run into excess humidity, and I encouraged them to request a dehumidifier as other reviewers mentioned. Remember, you're in a tropical region. Humidity is to be expected.

- The hotel grounds are well kept and decorated. The lobby is huge with lots of seating and beautifully appointed. Lots of iguanas! Prepare to walk a bit depending on your room assignment, but trust me, you'll need to after eating and drinking all day.

CONS:

- Buffet food was lackluster, as it has been at most of the all-inclusive resorts we've visited.

- As many reviewers have mentioned, the beach is indeed covered with sea grass. They work hard to rake it up, but it's nearly impossible to do so. It definitely lacks the crystal clear water we've enjoyed in other locations. It's certainly not the hotel's fault, as there is a reef in the distance we're told affects the water quality here. We just didn't spend a ton of time on the beach because of it.

- There seems to be only one bar serving drinks for pool guests and the bartenders and waitstaff work their tails off to keep up with the crowd. This means the main pool is packed because most of us don't want to walk across the resort to get a drink every time. You can, of course, get drinks in other places, but you'll need to cover up to do so and it seems like you'd need to go into the Villa Marina buffet or the main buffet. More poolside and beachfront wait staff could help remedy this problem.

- Finding a chair is much harder than at previous resorts we've visited. Just be prepared to play the towel game. Even though there are signs noting that it's prohibited, we never saw any staff enforcing it.

Overall, we had a nice time. If you're headed here in the future, enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank wildcat2003
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at OCT it was a great price and the resort was beautiful. The food including the buffets was nice, we really enjoyed the Italian, Mexican and Japanese restaurants. I think if you are not a picky eater you can find something to enjoy. We even thought the staff was friendly and helpful. We would definitely return

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
Excellence Riviera Cancun
Excellence Riviera Cancun
#2 of 27 in Puerto Morelos
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!