“Great Experience”

GreenLeadersGold level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Experience”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I sent my parents to Ocean Coral & Turquesa for their anniversary on 04/28 - 05/03. They had an amazing time. The resort was classy, the staff was very nice and took good care of them and they got to know each other very well. The rooms were clean, nicely kept and the view was exceptional. The night shows were good too. If there was one negative, it would be maybe the food, but that is just a personal taste issue. I booked their vacation with Irine from VacationTravelHolidays.com. Don't bother using any other cite, Irine and her staff are just simply the best in the business. I have booked my last 6 vacations with them and will continue to book future vacations. Their recommendations and knowledge is outstanding.

Room Tip: Ask for a top room with a view of the ocean. Excelent!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nasri H
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Nasri H,
It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you chose our resort for celebrating your parents anniversary, and to learn that they had an amazing time at OCT. We are thankful for your kind comments regarding their experience. We look forward your next visit in a near future.
Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,543)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Corinth, TX
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We’ve been to many all-inclusive resorts (12+) running the gamut from higher end, mid-range, to rock bottom budget, each having their own merits, The caliber of beach is dependent upon resort location and can vary greatly from Cancun, Cozumel, Puerto Morelos, Playa del Carmen, Puerto Adventuras, Akumal, and Tulum.

For this trip I wanted something a little nicer with a better beach than the Catalonia Riviera Maya and considered going back to one of the RIU Palaces in Playacar. Based upon TA reviews and some realistic expectations, we decided to try the OCT, booking a privilege ocean view Jr. suite. We were cautiously optimistic that by doing so we might land a quiet room with a pretty decent ocean view on an upper floor. And, because we love the beach but require shade, we hoped against hope that the promised privilege beach area would keep us from getting up at the crack of dawn to lay claim to two loungers under a palapa.

Another thing that appealed to me about booking the OCT was what I assumed would be fairly shallow layout with many of the privilege suites, beach, and restaurant grouped in a central location. As my husband sometimes has mobility issues I wanted to avoid large, deep properties that might require a lot of walking.

The OCT is relatively close to the airport but is not under a flight pattern, (I thought of this as our return flight went directly over the Moon Palace.) It’s about a 30 minute ride in a shared shuttle.

After being dropped off about 1:00pm we were escorted to the Privilege check in desk and immediately offered a cold drink by Saskia who cheerfully attached our cute rustic privilege bracelets (a wooded bead laced through a blue cord.) She informed us we had been upgraded to a master ocean front royal suite in a quiet building! However, when she pointed out the location on the map my heart sank. It was in the furthest building on the resort on the opposite end of the privilege beach and restaurant and on the ground floor. Saskia probably thought I was insane when I asked if I could have the option of downgrading to our original reservation if I didn’t like the room or location but she assured me I could switch back if I wanted.

The suite was ready and we were eventually handed over to Grisel, one of the designated privilege butlers. On what initially seemed like an extremely long walk to our building, Grisel told us how lucky we were to get this upgrade. I was having my doubts until she opened the door.

Room 21109:
After seeing the view from the room, its proximity just steps from the beach, the sheer size of the two room suite (we’ve had apartments smaller than this suite), I think my husband would have crawled rather than reject this upgrade. Yes, it was a bit of a shlep to get to the main restaurants, privilege beach and privilege lounge but luckily the husband was not having issues with his knee so he was more than up to the long walk. As stated, the master suite was decadently large for two and would be perfect for a family. One room has a powder room, closet with microwave and coffee maker, a desk, a comfy sofa bed, large glass coffee table, 2 comfy chairs, a flat screen TV, ceiling fan, and a dining table with four chairs.

The sliding door opened to a deep covered patio that had a hot tub for two, a table and two chairs. On the lawn in front of our suite were two additional loungers. Beyond our lawn was the beach! Yes, we got a fabulous ocean breeze and could hear the waves!

The bedroom area had two loveseats, another coffee table, a king size bed, two nightstands, a large bureau that also contained the mini fridge filled with packages of peanuts, sodas, water, beer, and miniature bottles of vodka, tequila, Kaluha, and rum. There was yet another flat screen TV, a clock, ceiling fan, and iPod station. One thing to note is that motion sensors are installed so that, after a period of time, all power to the room shuts off. This also affects the clock so we gave up on continually having to reset it. We were provided with bathrobes to use and complimentary “slippers” and two Ocean H10 tee-shirts to keep.

Beyond the bedroom was the large bathroom area that was separated by a glass partition with a privacy shade that was easily opened if one wanted to soak in the large tub and watch TV. Said tub also had a hand shower attachment. There was a separate, large walk in shower, a separate toilet in its own room, and two sinks. A long closet contained the safe and shelves. Water pressure was excellent and the only minor issue was that the water temperature in the shower would occassionally fluctuate between scalding hot and cool. Our a/c worked well and the room did not have any mildew smell.

At this point, let me give a shout out to the TA Forum. OCT promotional material stated that the suites were provided, upon request, a DVD player with a selection of DVDs. I didn’t quite trust this and posted a question on the forum to see if anyone could verify. The few responses I received essentially stated that the privilege desk was clueless about this perk. As a result, we just packed our portable DVD player, new releases from Netflix, and our own AV cables (essential!). It gave us a nice alternative to the live shows for evening entertainment.

Within minutes of arriving in our room our luggage was delivered followed by another employee delivering a bottle of wine, corkscrew, and plate of apples and grapes. Grisel inspected the room with us and discovered the door of the mini fridge was broken. She spoke into her walkie talkie and literally, within five minutes a maintenance man appeared and fixed it! She also gave us a pillow menu and over the course of the first day I changed pillows out twice, eventually settling on feather pillows.

We were told that if we wanted to use the hot tub on the patio we needed the butler to turn it on and adjust the controls. When we did decide to use it, Rafael (another privilege butler) came promptly but concurred there seemed to be problem with the drainage. And, after speaking into his walkie-talkie, a maintenance man arrived within minutes. They took about a half hour to clean out the drains but, fix it they did! Rafael came back later to drain the tub when we were finished and was quite delightful (we had a long conversation about kite boarding!)

Although we’re used to hard beds in Mexico, after the first two nights it occurred to me to ask if a foam mattress topper might be available. When we returned from a beach day we discovered our bed had been made up with a topper that actually did make a nice difference.

Despite this building being next to the children’s pool area and housing the teen club on the third floor, our room was QUIET and our patio was actually very private because not too many guests walk to this end of the property.

The Beach:
This is a very long walking beach with soft, white sand. It’s probably a 3.5 mile walk to town but we only walked as far as the pier beyond Dreams (about 2 miles.) Very safe and one day I encountered three soldiers patrolling the beach.

I think the reports of sea grass on the OCT beach have been greatly exaggerated and should not be a deterrent. The sea grass washes ashore all along the miles of beach and is like lawn clippings. Some areas to the north of the long OCT beach are much heavier, some areas to the south a bit lighter. Regardless, EVERY resort along this area (OCT, Jade Sapphire, Excellence, Dreams) all have beach tractors that rake the sand and dump excess into a bin behind it. I think a team of maintenance workers hand raking the sea grass would do a more effective job than the tractor of removing it from the beach but, in reality, it’s a Sisyphean task.

We went into the ocean daily at the OCT beach and the water was very clear. We surmise the sea grass flourishes a bit more in this area because of the coral reef that acts as a breakwater and, perhaps, the way the currents move may affect where the grass lands. Only once did we catch a glimpse of a fish or two skirting by but this wasn’t the kind of rocky beach in which one could snorkel and see fish not too far from shore.

There are quite a few palapas lining the long, non-privilege beach area. I noticed that the palapas closest to the “drunk” and activity pools are commandeered first while there is more availability closer down by the children’s pool.

Privilege Beach:
For me, this alone was worth the upgrade! We’re beach people and as previously mentioned, it is imperative we have shade. This was the first time on vacation I was able to sleep in, eat a late leisurely breakfast, and still get a palapa on the beach!

The privilege beach has several shaded sun beds and many palapas. The loungers have thick pads with a pillow.

And service? Oh yes!

Francisco and Enrique were our privilege beach team. Once they meet you, you are greeted by your name every time. Francisco lays out the towels and always asks if he can provide suntan lotion, books, or make dinner reservations. Mid morning he stops by each palapa offering a cool, scented hand towel. Although the privilege area was not very crowded, Francisco was very watchful regarding guests playing “the towel game”. We were fine leaving our belongings when we left for lunch or for a walk along the beach but I suspect that had the area been filled to capacity he would have diplomatically enforced the OCT’s stated “no saving” policy.

The ever cheerful Enrique begins his rounds delivering an ice bucket with bottled water to each palapa, never failing to ask if he can bring anything. He then made frequent rounds for drink orders, always informing us of the drink of the day, and even let us know when he was taking his lunch break.

Pools:
There are four large main pool areas. The “quiet” pool is near the privilege beach. No music, no activities, just loungers and it’s pretty mellow. There is an in pool bubbling spa and spa chairs. Le Petite Creperie is adjacent to this pool and serves as a snack bar during the day.

The “drunk pool” is where the swim up bar is located. The pool is large, raucous, and if you’re into it, a lot of fun. The majority of the swim up bar is in the shade. There is a large “activity pool” with a juice bar. The larger snack bar is in close proximity. Finally the children’s area has a large pool, a shallow toddler’s pool, and – I love this- a bar! This is where the children’s Daisy Club is located and it was impressively large and very cute. Kid tunes are played over the loud speaker.

Restaurants and Room Service:
We love a great meal and appreciate exquisite cuisine however we don’t hold Mexican resorts to the same standards as restaurants in the States. (There may be some AI’s with true five star cuisine but they apparently aren’t in our price range.) Overall, I think the food, including specialty restaurants, was good but average. Each specialty restaurant posts the dress code – casual (shorts) or dressy (long pants for men, no tank tops.)

Buffet:
Great breakfast selection: omelets stations, breads, French toast, waffles, fresh juices, cold cuts, cereals, fruits, you name it. The most popular hot item is bacon so expect to wait while they continually refill the tray!

Lunch: Extensive salad bar with an array of lettuces, veggies. Second salad station has a vast assortment of cold salads, cold cuts and fresh fruit. Hot offering include pizza, a pasta station with trays of prepared pastas of the day or they will individually make pasta and sauces to order, a grill with fish, chicken, and beef, and several trays of prepared side dishes (rice, potatoes, veggies) and an assortment of entrees (vegetarian, poultry, meat). There is a soup station, fresh bread and rolls and a dessert station with several flavors of ice cream, cookies, and a variety of little desserts, including some sugar free options. On most days there is a station leading into the buffet in which there are two Mexican specialties and a server hand cooking tortillas. Personally, I loved the salad bar and thought the lunch selections were decent. I liked the watermelon carvings that decorated the cold buffet stations.

Dinner: We noticed that the buffet had different theme nights (Thai, Mexican, etc.) but the only night we ate at the buffet for dinner was “Chef’s night” and the selection didn’t seem all that much different from lunch.

Room Service:
Privilege was supposed to have a more extensive room service menu. We used it a few times to have a full breakfast delivered. If ordered by 10:00pm the night before, you can designate a delivery time after 7:00am. And they were prompt! The lunch/dinner menu was rather limited so we didn’t use it.

Snack Bars:
The two poolside snack bars don’t have an extensive offering but do have burgers, hot dogs, pizzas, fries, nachos, ice cream, etc.

Mike’s Coffee: Wow! Really nicely decorated and comfortable coffee house complete with barista who will make you a decent cup of coffee! At breakfast time, they offer a small assortment of pastries (chocolate croissants!) Lunchtime, sandwiches. After dinner, pastries. Your coffee can be served in an actual cup or prepared to go. Inside and outside seating.

Specialty restaurants:
Privilege guests can only make reservations at “indoor” restaurants “Ritatto D’Italia, “Los Girasoles”, “Sensai”, Villa Marina, and Fusion. Le Petite Creperie, Route 66, and another Italian patio restaurant with table side cooking (can’t remember the name) are first come first serve for reservations and it seems one can wait a long, long time to be seated which we did not have the inclination or patience to do.

At each specialty restaurant we were promptly seated. At the Italian and Mexican restaurants, we were lead to a table reserved with our name on it. (Definitely another perk of privilege!)

We live in Texas and get great Mexican food so our socks weren’t particularly knocked off by Los Girasoles but we overheard other guests rave about the food.

We ate at the Italian restaurant twice. I particularly liked the risotto. Don’t be put off by snails being listed as one of the ingredients. They were negligible, trust me. Cappuccino cake for dessert was good. Dress code: long pants for men.

We ate at the Japanese restaurant twice –once at the hibachi station, once for table service. The food was actually very good at the hibachi station. Unless you indicated otherwise, everyone was served the stir fry with beef, chicken, and shrimp. And, the meat and chicken were surprisingly tender. We were told there was a dress code but on the outside of the restaurant, it said nice shorts were allowed for men.

The table service menu was a bit disappointing. The menu items bore only a passing resemblance to Asian dishes we knew. The pad Thai was served with uncooked noodles (!) and a very strange sweet sauce. Hands down, go for the hibachi station.

Fusion:
For breakfast, there was a menu with some good, interesting items and fresh juice, and a continental breakfast station. Lunch time offers tapas (pretty good.). Since we had a free lobster dinner as part of our privilege package we booked it at Fusion. Lobster was grilled and okay but I would never have paid the $42.00 extra charge.

Route 66:
We stopped in for dessert one night…coffee and a brownie with ice cream.

Entertainment:
I've seen the Mexican shows multiple times at various resorts so passed on attending the ones at OCT. I did attend the best of Broadway and Diva shows. The entertainment team lip syncs but the choreography and dancing were wonderful. All the dancers were good but the Michael Jackson impersonator was absolutely exceptional.

Since we spent most of our time at the beach, can't tell you much about poolside entertainment or activities. On our few forays to the swim up bar, there were some fun, silly "adult" games at the drunk pool that were a hoot to watch when one is inebriated.

Time Share mention:
OCT is part of the H10 properties that offer time shares. After check in you are handed over to a representative who gives you another “welcome package” and a offered us “up to” a $200.00 resort credit or cash for attending a breakfast and a 90 minute presentation. We declined and were not pressured. The following day there was an invitation in our room to attend a breakfast/presentation before we departed. I noticed the ante had been increased to up to $300.00. :) We met some women on the beach who actually did attend the presentation and bought a time share because they thought it was a good value (time share people receive privilege status) and it fit the way they vacation.

Privilege vs. Non-privilege:
Besides the other perks I’ve previously mentioned, here’s another nice touch: Grisel, one of the privilege butlers, asked if we were celebrating any special occasion and I mentioned that this trip coincided with my birthday. Later in the week I entered our suite and discovered she had decorated the bedroom with balloons, streamers, and a “Happy Birthday, Ellice” sign taped to the wall. Unexpected and really cute. We also had evening turn down service with chocolates on the pillow and fresh towels delivered.

Is it worth the upgrade?
I think it’s dependent upon your expectations and what you do with your days.

If you are not planning to spend much time in your room, does location really matter?

The privileged upgrade has no poolside provisions. Privilege or not, if you are a pool person, you’re still going to have to play the towel game and stake a claim to a lounger.

As stated earlier, we really liked that privilege guests had priority for making reservations at specialty restaurants and those reservations were honored. But none of that matters if you plan to eat at the buffet at dinner, have no attachment of being able to get a reservation at one of the specialty restaurants, don’t mind waiting over an hour to be seated, or you’re a guy who doesn’t want to wear long pants on your vacation.

So, bottom line is that although we got spoiled with the master suite upgrade, we really loved the level of service and amenities that came with the privilege upgrade which were much, much better than any other upscale resort we’ve been to (Couples, RIU Palace, El Dorado Royale.)

We would definitely come back doing the privilege upgrade. If anyone has any questions I haven’t addressed in the review, send me a message!

Room Tip: Room location and upgrades appear to be luck of the draw but it probably doesn't hurt to email y...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
18 Thank sagacioustraveler
Kaysville, Utah, United States
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We had a wonderful time at OCT. I had 3 children with me (12, 10, 7) and they all enjoyed the food and entertainment. The pools are spacious, not too cold and constant activities like water polo and water aerobics. If you want a more quiet atmosphere you can hang out at the family pool. The food was pretty good. The buffet always had hot items and plenty of fruits, cereals, juices, etc. I do wish there would have been one other option for breakfast besides the buffet for the guests that don't upgrade. Route 66 would be a fun place for diner type breakfast or even offer room service breakfast. We ate at every restaurant except the Hibachi and outdoor Italian. Our favorites were the indoor Italian and the La Petite Craperie. Villa Marina was great for lunch. My boys loved the room service for lunch or dinner (especially the club sandwich) My daughter tried the Daisy Club on 2 different days. I would have liked to see them do more crafts and activities there. It seemed like coloring pages from a coloring book and watching TV when indoors. The staff were very nice and my daughter did love it there, I was just expecting a little bit more in the aspect of activities for them to do. We went to two shows and I thought the Grease one was very cute. The dancing was excellent. They canceled the princess show while we were there due to not enough children to participate. We went on two tours booked with Olympus Tours. The Chitzen Itza was really neat and Isla Mujeres was amazing. The group that took us on the Isla Mujeres tour worked very hard to ensure my kids were safe while snorkeling. (The water and fish were amazing on this island) This location is far from downtown Cancun so if you want to go shopping or be near the city this is not the place for you. I found the area of Cancun to seem crowded and dirty so I loved being further away, although you'll find that the beach has more seaweed in the Puerto Morelos area and the water is not the same clear blue color as near the hotel zone of cancun. It was still VERY beautiful and this resort is much bigger than many of the resorts in Cancun which was nice. The seaweed was not bothersome at all, I've seen way more seaweed on California beach. Absolutely do not forget to request a room higher up in a quiet area and a dehumidifier. We always had enough bottled water with the staff replacing it in our refridgerater daily and Mike's coffee shop passes out bottled water. I hope to return soon. I would have liked to give it 4.5 out of 5 rating if possible.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ColletteCR
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear ColletteCR,
We are thankful for sharing your observations regarding your stay at OCT. It is good to learn that you appreciated the beauty of our grounds, the friendliness of our staff and the accommodating of our facilities, and also that you had a nice and enjoyable experience. We would like to inform you that our kids club counts with a complete schedule of different activities on a daily basis, which includes projects, movie time, and also outdoors activities. However, we would extend your observations to our Entertainment manager. We want to express our gratitude for taking your time to post your review and sharing your experience. We will be glad to host your family for your next vacation.
Bests,
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed May 4, 2013

One of the best places we experienced in Mexico. Beautiful ocean. Nice upgrades for Apple travelers. Ocean Front room, wine and strawberries in room. No towel card, and a special dinner. Food good, drinks good. Migel at Route 66 was great !!!! Nice people. Good place all around.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a great view of Ocean.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Brianh333444
Dear Brianh333444,
It is very gratifying to learn that you had a good time at OCT and further more that consider our resort as one of the best in our country. Thank you very much for your review, we hope we will host you again in the near future.
Best regards,
Sugar Grove, Illinois
Reviewed May 3, 2013

This resort is absolutely amazing. The staff is so friendly, helpful and welcoming. The resort itself is right on the beach and the views are incredible. The food is amazing (there are so many options, that even the pickiest eater will be satisfied). The beach is perfect! There is a little seaweed, but that's a small price to pay for the beautiful beach. The coast is perfect for walking and enjoying the beautiful views. The rooms were extremely clean and room service came everyday to clean our room and change our sheets. There was also lots of entertainment, there is never a dull moment there! Truly this resort is paradise. This was our second trip to Ocean Coral & Turquesa...our favorite vacation spot. We will be back again soon!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Emily G
Dear Emily G,
With reward we learn that you found your experience at our resort satisfactory and that your expectations were fulfilled by our offer, facilities and personnel. We extend our gratitude for taking your time to share your opinion. We hope to host your third visit to our resort very soon.
Warm regards
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Just arrived home tonight. Had a wonderful time and enjoyed the hotel and grounds.
Ask for a dehumidifier right off the bat. The rooms are lovely but damp. Ours was emptied twice a day. If you are looking for privacy in the bathroom this is not the place for you. There is no enclosed bathroom. It is wide open with the toilet and shower behind stall doors. It would be prudent for them to put up some louvered doors so you have a place to dress.
Both hibachi and italian restaurant were great. Buffet could use more choices.
Big shout out to Edgar from Jessica and Patricia. We met him out last night there at the buffet and he was a dream!! He checked on us continually and made our last night special. Wish we had met him earlier he would have been requested each night.
All in all it was a lovely stay and would recommend the hotel to others

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Pcakes9865
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear Pcakes9865,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review about your experience at our resort. It is good to learn that you have a lovely stay with us, despite the fact that you found the design of our bathrooms strange, nevertheless let us inform you that we are working in improvements that will help to aid this situation. We restate our gratitude for your recommendations and for choosing our resort for your vacations. We look forward your next stay with us.
Bests,
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed May 3, 2013

My wife, myself and our grown sons/wives just got back from 5 nights at Ocean Coral and Turquesa. The customer service from the staff was outstanding - always a bright smile from all. We spent time at the beach every day - yes the seaweed was there, but the beach was groomed and cleaned numerous times during the day. We ate dinner at the ala carte cafes and the buffets. All had plenty to choose from and we honestly cant understand some of the negative comments about the choices. Breakfast esp was very good. Only thing that bothered us was why the coffee shop wasn't open earlier in the day - esp since it is a place where wireless was available. We did not upgrade to privilege and felt we didn't miss anything. The only advantage we could see would be dinner reservations and we simply put our name in and waited with a drink in the huge comfortable lobby. Our rooms were clean and the dehumidifier took care of the humid air - but we were steps away from the ocean and it was warm - why would there not be a humidity issue? It was a wonderful experience - would recommend this resort to anyone - very good value for your dollar!

Room Tip: We spent very little time in our rooms, the garden view we had was quiet and had easy access to the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Terry K
Dear Terry K,
With reward we learn that you have chosen our resort for your last vacations. It is with a great pleasure to read your opinion about our resort, and to realize that your experience at our facilities and with our staff was totally satisfactory. We lament that you found our coffee shop schedule inconvenient, however you can also find self-service coffee at our lobby bar from 6:00 a.m. or at our buffet restaurant that opens from 6:30 a.m. for breakfast and beverages. We are glad to read your review and to realize that you had a wonderful experience. We want to extend our gratitude for sharing your experience and for recommending us. We look forward to host your next vacations.
Warm regards,
Moon Palace Cancun
#22 of 175 in Cancun
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!