“Fun girls' weekend - beautiful beach - great staff”

Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Austin, Texas
“Fun girls' weekend - beautiful beach - great staff”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I went to Ocean Coral & Turquesa with 2 college friends. I loved that it was an all-inclusive place as I didn't intend to go far from the beach or the bar. There were a few weddings there over the weekend, and a good mix of different age groups (not all geriatric, families, or 20-somethings). I liked that the kids' area was on one end of the resort, since I went to escape my kids. ;D The food was decent in the buffet restaurant (Villa Marina, I think), but I really enjoyed the food in both the Italian restaurants and the Japanese Hibachi restaurant. The wine was reasonably priced (as the only alcohol not included in the all-inclusive) and I discovered a new drink (new to me).... mojitos! Yum!

We booked a snorkel trip and one of my friends also booked a SCUBA dive through the same on-site group. This was affordable, enjoyable, and totally worth it.

We were able to get lots of bottled water to stay hydrated in between margarita,s mojitos, and gin & tonics.

I gave 4 starts instead of 5 because some things were a little confusing... like reserving a table at the outdoor Italian restaurant and the Japanese hibachi restaurant. We also had to request a 2nd dehumidifier for the room, and empty them both 2x a day, because the room was really musty when we first got there. The pull out sofa was not super comfortable, but they never are, so I had low expectations and can sleep anywhere. Other than that, it was fine.

Room Tip: "Ocean view" or "garden view" are better than no view at all. Ask for an extra...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Klanicek
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Klanicek,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your observations regarding your stay in our property. It was very pleasant to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities and appreciated the variety in our offer. Please allow us to inform that our restaurants function in a first come first serve basis, and we only count with reservations available for our Privilege guests. We are aware that the humidity of zone may be an affair, nevertheless we must enlighten that alleviating this condition is beyond our control as a consequence of our geographical location. Thank you for sharing with us that despite this issues, you had a satisfactory stay. We look forward your next stay with us.
Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,499)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Minneapolis
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Spent 5 nights at OCT April 24-April 29th. Lots of other, more lengthy reviews on here that go into more detail.

The hotel:
The rooms were decent. I had a normal room the first 2 nights, and my wife joined me on night 3 and we switched to the Royal Ocean Front Suite. I don't know that I would do that again. The view doesn't get any better, but the "private" terrace wasn't very private at all, and the outside was sort of dirty. Lots of bird poop, etc. I could have said something I'm sure but I didn't care that much as we didn't spend more than a few minutes out there. Beds were firm but didn't bother me. Overall a fairly clean environment inside. No major compaints. The grounds of the hotel were very beautiful. Lots of gardeners, etc tending everything.

The food:
The buffett and other non-restaurant places were mediocre at best. nothing to write home about. My only wish was there would be some better lunch options. The food at the restaurants was amazing though. Very, very impressed there.

The beach:
Hit or miss. As every review says, the beach is weedy. The nice part is the weeds don't smell at all. If you don't mind walking/wading through a little seaweed, you'll be fine. If that sort of thing grosses you out, well I warned you. It's true they have a tractor that combs the beach but honestly it doesn't do a very good job. Most of what is on the beach are fine particles of weed, and said tractor only picks up the big globs.

The staff:
I had no issues ever. Everybody seemed to be great.

The pools:
Lots of variety, which is nice. We preferred the activity pool and the privilege pool the most depending on our mood.

Overall, a 7 out of 10. Fun experience. Nice grounds. Nice area. However it didn't blow me away so I don't know that I would return. If it did, I certainly wouldn't' pay extra for the ocean front room.

Room Tip: If your room is humid, they have dehumidifiers.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David D
Dear David D,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your observations regarding your stay in our property. It was very pleasant to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities and that we were able to provide you with a fun experience. In regard to your comment regarding our Royal Master Suite, we lament that it did not met you expectations. Nevertheless, we would like to inform that this type of rooms are the ones with the best view at our property. Furthermore, this type of rooms count with the different features of our Privilege Concept. We regret that your perception was different. We would like to thank you for your remarks and improvement areas, so we can offer a better service and comfort to future guests. We hope that when returning to Mexico, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again at our resort.
Warm regards,
Shoreview, Minnesota
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the end of April. We enjoyed the location of the hotel (fairly close to Cancun). I've stayed at several all-inclusive hotels and this by far, is the lowest ranked of them all. That being said, I think it's a fair value and the customer service was better than the product.

I would have to say I was most annoyed by three things:
1. The room was constantly wet smelling. I know it's hard to fix, given the location, but I wonder how other beach front hotels I've stayed at (Moon Palace) seem to figure it out. Close always smelled musty and felt wet to the touch.
2. Upon packing up to leave, we found a dead bed bug. Neither of us had any bite marks, so hopefully, it was just a stray...even still...yuck!
3. When we checked in, we were told we could go have a tour of all the wonderful amenities and breakfast. Someone would show us all the snack areas and give us the tips for the hotel. This, undoubtly, turned into a 2+ hour long sales pitch, and they wouldn't accept "no" for an answer. It ruined our whole afternoon. If that was the plan all along, I would have appreciated honesty. We were spending quite a bit of money to be there, and then to be treated poorly, because we weren't going to spend $40,000 at the drop of a hat (who does that, anyway??) was in poor taste.

That being said, I think the hotel had great offerings for families, nice activities and was located close enough to walk to town.

I would recommend walking along the beach, finding Oja de Agua (a small hotel/snorkel shop) right on the beach. There, you can have a private snorkel trip out to two sites on the reef for almost 2 hours for $20 USD per person. The boat captain and snorkel diver were great! We also found an excellent taco stand in Puerto Morelos, near the Fereral Highway behind the 7-11.

The hotel was really lacking in authentic Mexican food, which was so much of the reason we went! The a la carte restaurants were everything everyone's said, but they tasted the best. Order a lot, because you don't want to have to wait another night to try something you missed!

I think the hotel was fine, it was not for us.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KMinne
Dear KMinne,
We are thankful for choosing our resort for your last vacations. It is good to learn that you appreciated our location, family atmosphere, customer service and also, that you found a good value in OCT. On the other hand we regret that your stay was not totally satisfactory. We are aware that the humidity of zone may be an affair, we must enlighten that alleviating this condition is beyond our control as a consequence of our geographical location, nevertheless we like to inform that we are taking actions in order to minimize this situation. Please allow us to inform that since our resort is located in an eco-protected zone surrounded by a mangrove, insects are part of the natural wildlife of this ecosystem. Nevertheless our resort counts with a pest control program in order to control the insects and prevent inconveniences to the guests. we regret that your perception about our resort was affected by the promotion of our vacational program, which operation is independent from our resort. Furthermore, we like to remark that it is our guests’ decision to attend to this promotion or not. Thank you for the entirety of your remarks. We would like to invite you to visit our resort in the future and give us the opportunity to change your perception about OCT.
Dieppe, Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My stay at Ocean Coral & Turquesa was simply wonderful! Within the last 10 years I've been to Cuba, Dominican Republic and Mexico (twice each). This was my favorite trip.

A group of almost 40 of us (friends and family) reunited there for my brother's wedding. The wedding, amenities, entertainment, beach and food was great.

I got the chance to visit Coco Bongo, meet new friends and get to know a few of the staff members. To name a few, Rodrigo, Monica, Samantha, Nelly, Ivan and Didier were extremely fun. There shows at night were amazing. They work very hard. The entertainment and games by the pool bar each afternoon were so much fun!

The rooms were clean and were made up daily without fault. The food at the buffet and A la Carte restaurants I got to enjoy (Steakhouse, Japanese Grill, Mexican and Route 66) were simply delicious. Mike's coffee shop was a great spot to grab a late morning/afternoon coffee, frappuccino or sandwich. Unfortunately, bottled water was only available at the lobby, Mike's or in your room.

The beach was beautiful. If you do not like fish, not the greatest with the very windy weather. This may be caused by the time of year I traveled though. Beach chairs were quite hard to get and we had issues with people taking our stuff off chairs and moving it. Beach chairs can NOT be reserved, but if your simply going to the washroom, this is unacceptable. No fault of the resort though, just rude guests!!

Overall, the best vacation I've had thus far! Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: I had a room on the bottom floor. Absolutely NO issues with bugs as you can find in other resorts. A...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Renee A
Dear Renee A,
We are glad to learn that our resort was able to fulfill your group’s expectations and that your brother’s wedding at our resort was a great experience for him and all the attendants. Furthermore that you consider your vacation at our resort as one of the best you have ever had. Thank you for sharing your comments about our property. We hope to have the opportunity to host you and your group in the future.
Bests,
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I absolutely loved this place! my friends and I and four moms went for our senior trip. It was so much fun! We were always doing something and the staff was getting us involved, and if we said no they didn't push you to do anything you didn't want to! I especially loved the shows the put on every night and the games we played, like "Olympic Games" Israel, Olivia, and Rodrigo were by far the greatest employees there! We got to see them both day and night. Day playing games and night at the shows! They are all so talented at dancing especially. You can't forget their super personalities! There were lots of activities like movies outside, water aerobics, zumba, and like I said before, even Olympic Games! I loved how the lobby was open and breezy. A nice place to relax. the only thing that was bad about that was that and the coffee shop were the only places with wifi, but that is no problem since you are on vacation anyway! I guess you could say I really loved the employees! And this place :)

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank takemethere1415
Dear takemethere1415,
With reward we learn that you loved your vacations at our resort and that you and your friends had a wonderful vacation enjoying our activities and company of our entertainment staff. Thank you for your comments regarding their performance. Regarding the Wi-Fi service, let us inform you that we just started with this service at rooms with an extra charge. We extend our gratitude for taking the time to share your opinion and we will be glad to welcome you and your in the future.
Warm regards,
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I came here with my family and a bunch of friends. There were plenty of activities and I never got bored. The staff was amazing! They were hilarious and very friendly. I made great friends with Oly, Alex, Rodrigo, Hugo, Israel, Monica and others! I would come back here in a heart beat!

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Tiffym09,
We want to thank you for choosing our resort as your vacation destination. With reward we learn that the good service and friendliness of our entertainment staff was the highlight of your trip. We will be glad to host your next vacations at our property.
London, Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We vacationed at Ocean Coral April 21-28 with a group of 15. The resort was all around very good. Food was excellent, rooms were roomy and comfortable, grounds well laid out, service excellent. We had no trouble getting chairs around the pool or at the beach. The beach boy was happy to help fetch a chaise if we needed another one. The four pools are distinctly different - a kids pool, a pool for activities, a pool with the swim up bar for the partying adults, and a quiet pool next to the Privilege rooms. The beach was super - sand raked every day, lots of shade huts, enough lounge chairs. Buffet and a la carte restaurants were super - pretty well everything you might want to eat can be found there. We especially enjoyed the Crepe restaurant which I suspect many guests weren't aware of because it was at the south end of the resort. Entertainment staff were energetic and full of life, always inviting people to participate in the activities or attend the evening show. The staff put together a Disney show with kids from the resort - I'm sure this was a highlight for the families there. Special thanks to Samantha, Lauro, Didier, and Rodrigo for the entertainment, Pablo at the Lobby bar, Luis at the Creperie, Lourdes for cleaning our rooms, and so many service staff in the restaurants. We've visited Riviera Maya several times and this was certainly one of the best in terms of excellent value for the price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NitpickerCaroline
Dear NitpickerCaroline,
We want to restate our gratitude for taking your time to share your opinion with the community, and also for choosing our resort for your vacations. It is gratifying to learn that you found satisfactory our food, facilities and the service. Be sure that it is comforting for us to learn that we were able to provide you with a fantastic time and that we will extend your appreciation to Pablo, Luis, Lourdes and our Entertainment team. Thank you for your comments. We look forward to host your next holidays.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#4 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,798 reviews

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!