“Lovely Hotel with a few small problems”

Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Chickster78
“Lovely Hotel with a few small problems”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I visited the hotel in November 2012 for two weeks. This is how I see the hotel.

Beach - OK. Yes you do get seaweed, not much the hotel can do about this and they do try and clean this everyday. The sea is not the illuminous blue you see when you go to Playa del carmen and cozumel but still nice. I do not use the beach so much so not a big problem for me.

Grounds - AMAZING!! well kept and very friendly staff.

Pools - AMAZING!! 4 to choose from some quite and some lively....so take your pick. All seem to be at the right temperature but I can imagine these to be hotter in the summer months. Jacuzzi beds in the main pool with games being played all day for all ages!!

Restaurants - I LOVED THE ITALIAN!! Food was to die for and really made you feel like you were going out to dine in a fine dining restaurant. Japanese restaurant is fab too, love watching them cook the food for you. Mexican was average and Route 66 was nice, you can not go wrong with Burger and chips. I found the buffet restaurant to be excellent for breakfast but for dinner I found the food to be cold at times and not quite hot enough to enjoy, saying that only ate there twice in two weeks for evening meal so was not a problem. The crepe bar was lovely for sweet crepes but pizza was too cheesy and not enough tomato base. You do have to cue occasionally if you are not a premium guest but this was not very often and usually for the Japanese restaurant.

Bars - Pool Bar is excellent. Good atmosphere at all times of day. Staff are soooo friendly. Also Juan the waiter by the pool is awesome and always ensures you have a drink!! Lobby bar is nice but can get blowy outside. Also some drinks are only for premium guests so if you want jack daniels you will have to upgrade. Still had labelled names for normal guests so I was happy. Tip - take your own big cups as the glasses are small and I also believe these are not cleaned properly all of the time and could the cause of my upset stomach.

Rooms - Huge bed, Very comfortable. Nice views of the beach and grounds. 32in LCD TV. Nice Shower, loads of wardrobe space. Only a couple of things not so good about the rooms, you need to get a dehumidifier from reception as everything gets damp without one. Also limited drink in the rooms only two bottles of water, two beers and two soft drinks a day.....there could definately be more water in the fridges for really hot days.

Location - OK! if you like to go out for a stroll this place is probably not for you as there is nothing in real walking distance and this hotel is in the middle of no where with about 5 hotels near by. Its about 30 min drive to Cancun and Playa del carmen.

Excursions - Chichen Itza is amazing to see and you get to go to a cenote on the way which was awesome. Xacret is my favourite attraction something to do for everyone. Snorkling, Animals, activities and even a show at night...Fantastic!!! All booked through Cancun discounts before departure who were fantastic and would recommend as some travel agents can rip you off on these type of excursions!!

All in All this hotel is lovely and I would go here again, just small improvement could make this hotel fantastic!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Chickster78
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Chickster78,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your observations regarding your stay in our property. It was very pleasant to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities and that we were able to provide you a delightful stay. We would like to thank you for your remarks and improvement areas, so we can offer a better service and comfort to future guests. We hope that when returning to Mexico, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again at our resort.
Warm regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,520)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
CALGARY
Reviewed April 22, 2013

First time travelling to cancun, we were her from april 7 to the 14 for a wedding that was very well put on." VERY WINDY" all the time.
We stayed in room 19306 and our housekeeper was Awsome. The room smelt bad, but we asked for a de-humidifire and that solved the problem. the buffet was OK not the best food the italian was geat, a dress code was required.
My only two compaints are, if you have a problem the staff doesnt seem to care its like talking to the wall either they dont understand because of the language barier or they just dont care, and DONT loose your room and towel key or they will charge you a $30 towel fee and $5 for room key
It was really nice or them to inform you when you're checking out.I was totaly stressed..so if that happens to you just go steal one from a chair, because thats what the staff do if there is towels left out at the end of the day..how many key cards do they have behind the counter? hmmm ..I have never been to a hotel that charges the guest for key cards. absolutely ridiculous!! You people need too re-think that charge..The wine is water down yuck!!The pool and beach are close to one another that was nice.
I had stomach issues so did my freind and daughter.Its been three weeks back home, and Im still not well, we are on antibiotics now to kill what ever we picked up there.I kinda got the impression the food wasnt up to health standards like we have in Canada.Our favorite part was going into playa del carmen, Im pretty sure our driver was on drugs only because I noticed his pinky finger nail was very long and he liked to drive 60 in a 100 zone he also liked to drive directly on the paved line.I close my eyes all the way to town, that seemed to help.If you have tattoos cover them when walking in playa you will get hit on by all the local drug dealers unless thats your thing.The xcaret theme park and cenote were spectacular!!! Im so glad we did these excursions.Christian is really good hooking you up with excursions he speeks english very fluent.The excursions range from $70 to $140 some of them last all day
.I will probably not come back, only because the customer service was poor..found them to be a little shady.Basically if you have an issue your wrong and they are right if you get my drift.One more thing security is very good if thats any help.Oh!! I forgot.. put up some curtains or a door on the bathroom.Holy cow how many more complaints do you need before you address this.There is no place to change in private.very Strange.here was a few issues, but I still had fun, we were in paradise just look out to the sea and all the bad stuff goes away.Very nice Country will come back if you will have us.Thank you Cancun!! Thank you to the airport staff they were very helpful keeping my family together for the flight home, considering we were the last ones to check in.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pam G
Dear Pam G,
We want to express our gratitude for choosing our resort for your first visit to the Mayan Riviera. It is with regret that we read your comments regarding your perception about our customer service. In regard to your observations, please allow us to inform that indeed, there is a charge in case that our guests lost a towel or a key card. Furthermore, we also like to enlighten that in order to aid the reservation of pool and beach chairs, the towels used for reserving them are retired by the members of our staff after 2 hours if any guest is using it. This information is provided by our Front Desk staff to the entirety of our guests during the check-in. We lament that our policies caused you dissatisfaction. We must say that your comment about the stomach issues that you and your companions experimented really surprises us as we do not count in our records with any report similar to your condition during the dates of your stay. Furthermore, since the corresponding hygiene procedures related to food preparation are carrying out at our resort and further more we have a consultant whom in regular basis audits the correct follow up of this measures, we assume their sickness has a cause beyond our control. In regard to your observations about the bathroom design, we like to inform that we are working in improvements that will aid this situation. We would like to express our gratitude for your positive remarks, and sharing with us that, besides these event, you had a fun stay at OCT. We hope to have the opportunity to host your vacations in the future and give us the opportunity to change your perception about our resort.
Bests,
Banff, Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2013

WE just arrived back from a glorious 2 week holiday. 1st week just my husband and myself then 2nd we had 33 people join for a best friends wedding.
The staff are the hardest working I have encountered. Very friendly and great service, a dollar tip goes along way. You don't have to do it everytime but the staff do remember. My husband would just be walking up to the bar and if the staff saw him his drink was ready by the time he got there.
Same goes for the buffet for am coffee, Caesar at lunch or vino blanco at dinner.
Property is prestine.
We loved the far 4th pool as it was the quietest. The pool bar is a blast with lots of entertainment. Not just the staff(all though fantastic) but the fellow tourist. Everyone seemed to be having a great time.
The rooms are the same as the pictures. Very clean and comfortable. The blinds blocked out all the light and it was so quiet that we slept in almost everyday, which is not like us. This may also be due to the fact that none of the rooms have clocks. So be sure to bring one unless you are privelege. They have alarm clocks.
Loved this hotel and would go back, food was great not difficult to get into the restaurants except the Hibachi which you had to reserve at 5:30 for your dinner times. Do recommend this. it was our favorite restaurant, least fav. was the out doors one off the Italian. Some may enjoy but was not for us. Loved the Valla Mara grill as well. Staff are top notch and always in a good mood.
Excellent overall !!

Room Tip: We were in 12305, which means 3rd floor in building 12, room 05, was so quite, rooms near the pool b...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank allyanna
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear allyanna,
We are truly thankful for taking the time to share with us your review regarding your stay in our property. It was very pleasant to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities and that we were able to fulfill your expectations. We hope that when returning to our destination, you will give us the opportunity to host you again at our resort.
Bests,
Anybanany
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I had such a fun week here! It is worth the upgrade! I went by myself, but I felt like I just had a private room and went out with my friends when I left my room. All of the resort's employees were awesome! Especially in the Privilege Lounge! Gaspar, Jose, Enrique, Ruby and Neftali made my evening pre-dinner cocktails feel so much less lonely! Gaspar's ability to mix any drink that fit my mood was amazing - and trust me, I'm a Gemini, so there are many!

The only bad part was that my mini-bar didn't get refilled for two days straight!! That kind of sucked, because I had asked two or three people and it never seemed to get filled. Thank goodness for drinks-to-go at the Privilege Lounge!

If you plan on snorkeling, there is a daily outing to the reef by the resort's dive shop. It is only $39 USD, as compared to $88 for a long car ride and a reef snorkel. The $88 trip wasn't all that exciting and I wish I had time to have done the $39 trip for comparison.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Anybanany
Dear Anybanany,
Thank you for choosing our resort for your last holidays and for sharing with us your observations regarding your stay in our property. It was very pleasant to know that you enjoyed your upgrade to our Privilege Services, and that we were able to provide you with a fun and relaxing stay. Furthermore that you appreciated the good work of our Privilege Lounge staff. On the other hand we regret to learn that your mini bar was not stocked on 2 days of your stay. We will strengthen the supervision of the rooms in order to prevent this inconveniences to future guests. Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We hope to host your next vacations in a near future.
Kind regards,
Random Lake, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I went on vacation to Ocean Coral & Turquesa for a wedding. It was the first time I had ever been to an all inclusive resort, and I really enjoyed it. The service was wonderful, and there were a ton of activities. There were things for everyone there. You could chill out in the pool or go for a walk on the beach. For the most part the gift shop had very reasonable prices. There were a lot of excursions available and the one I went on was extremely nice. All and all, I really enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: upper level rooms hear less noise
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Hannahbananas_13,
It is gratifying to learn that on your first experience at our resort, you and your family found your vacations satisfactory. We are grateful for taking your time to post your review and for sharing your opinion with the community . We hope that you will return to our resort in a near future.
Best regards,
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Went here for vacation with my boyfriend's family. It was extremely relaxing. The rooms were very clean. The bathroom didn't have a door, which I wasn't used to but it was ok. The toilet stall did have a door as did the shower. The food was relatively good. The hibachi was definitely the best. My boyfriend's parents were a member of H10, so we got to relax in the "Privelege" lounge. The staff was extremely friendly. Jacob, the bartender at the party pool, was our absolute favorite. He was so nice. But beware of his drink - the BBMF!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear dbieniek,
We are glad to learn that we were able to provide you with a relaxing stay and that your enjoyed our offer and the good service provided by one of our bar staff members. In regard to your observations about the bathroom design, we like to inform that we are working in improvements that will aid this situation. Thank you for taking your time to share your experience at this site. We look forward your next visit.
Kind regards,
Maryland
Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband and I travel to Mexico twice a year and have stayed at over 30 resorts in Cancun, Puerto Morelos, Playa and the Riviera Maya. When we stayed at the Now Sapphire in December, we had the opportunity to stop and talk to the Ocean Coral's Beach Concierge, Francisco. He explained the privileged section of the resort to us and when we walked away, we thought we should give this resort a try. Wonderful decision. We booked a privilege room for April 13 for 6 nights and was given room 6203. The "12 o'clock" view from your balcony was garden. However, when you looked at the 10:00 view it was a beautiful ocean view.

We quickly got settled in and went to explore. We stopped and talked to Francisco who explained everything we needed to know. He introduced us to Enrique, who is the Privilege beach server. Enrique is a very professional, efficient, well spoken young man who only wants to please. Everyone at the resort, I can honestly say, only wants to please. On Enrique's well deserved day off, Juan was there to do the hustling and what a great job he did as well.

We had made our dinner reservations for the week on line through the ala carte webpage so that was arranged. I highly recommend doing that if you are a privilege guest. We had the opportunity to eat at Fusions, the hibachi grill at Japanese, twice at the Villa Marina, the Italian, and the Mexican. The food at all of the restaurants was way above average. Really, the best all inclusive restaurants we have EVER come across. The service at the restaurants was quick and efficient especially from Reuben at Villa Marina.

We ate breakfast every morning at Fusions. It was really nice. Jesus and Martin did a wonderful job and in the evenings before dinner and usually after, we stopped and had drinks with Gaspar, the Privilege bartender. We had a great time with him...he's funny and knows how to make the best drinks....can be dangerous! I really cannot say enough about the staff....

This resort can give you the best of both worlds if you book the privilege section. It can be very quiet and romantic if you like or you can make it lively by going to the "party pool".

When we were sadly leaving and waiting for our transportation, the guest service manager, Alejandro Frank remembered us from checking in and asked how we enjoyed our stay and apologized for not being able to give us a king bed on our first night. We, at that time, were able to make some suggestions for improvement.....

the privileged pool should either be for privileged guests or adults only. During our stay there were alot of children and toddlers in the pool area some without diapers;

if there truly is a no-smoking policy for any area "that has an overhang", remove all ashtrays from the guest rooms. Not knowing this policy, we had to tolerate constant smoking on the balcony from the guests next door who NEVER left their room.

We have absolutely no complaints and CANNOT wait to return!

Dave and Diane

Room Tip: Don't tolerate smoking. Ask to be moved right away!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DMDMaryland
Dear DMDMaryland,
We truly appreciate that you have taken your time to share your kind comments regarding the great vacation experience that you had at our resort with the community. It is good to learn that you enjoyed the benefits of our Privilege services, such as dinner reservations, privilege beach area and lounge, special amenities, butler service, between others. We are thankful for your positive feedback regarding our facilities, staff members and our food variety and also appreciate your suggestions regarding the Privilege Pool and the reinforcement of the non-smoking policies. Be sure that we will be pleased to welcome you one more time for your next holidays.
Warm regards,
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#8 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!