“Great food”

Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ranked #13 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The food here was outstanding. Great buffets with such a wonderful array of fruits and vegetables. Lots of a la carte restaurants. Very attentive staff.
A little too much boom boom for the college crowd around the pool,but at least you could escape to the beach.

Beware Rooms 11101 and 11206 were both very musty. Perhaps most ground floor rooms in this area are musty but these both have other odours problems.

Room Tip: beware rooms 11101 & 11206 very musty and have odour problems
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear Ariana222,
We truly appreciate your comments regarding your appreciation about our food offer. It is good to learn that you found freshness and quality and at our a la carte restaurants and buffets; furthermore that the you appreciated the good service provided by our staff. Thank you for your remarks regarding the humidity in the mentioned rooms, be sure that we will take note of this information and will take actions in order to aid this situation, which is a consequence of the location of our facilities. We want to express our gratitude for posting your review and for choosing our resort for your vacations. We are looking forward your next visit to OCT.
Warm regards,

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was our first trip out of the country together and I was nervous after hearing so many negative things about mexico. When we arrived to this all-inclusive after being picked up by a shuttle, we were greeted at the front of the gaited resort and handed over our luggage which was promptly delivered to our room. When we checked in, we were given welcome drinks and told about the property. Our room was not ready at the time promised but were assured it would not be too much of a wait. We explored the property for a while, checking out the many pools, bars and places to go. When we finally found our room (took awhile due to confusing hallways) we were so happy to just settle in after such a long day of flying. The room was big and clean and was nice and cool. Plenty of storage places for our stuff even though we typically just live out of our suitcases. The only thing about the room that was a little strange was the bathroom. It was basically open to the rest of the room. The shower and the toilet are in glass stalls so privacy could be an issue when traveling with kids. Luckily it was just the two of us and we didn't much mind it.
We were nervous about the food because both of us are such picky eaters. To our delight, they had an american restaurant which we only visited once because as soon as we discovered the buffet in the middle of all the restaurants, we were in heaven. Anything you could possibly want to eat was there and we could have as much as we wanted. We would just leave a $2 tip after every meal because sometimes they would come and bring you extra things if you wanted it. The other restaurant that I recommend is the Italian one. We ate there twice and the food was amazing. There is a wait and they give you a buzzer but we didn't mind because we had the ipad and sat outside and went online with the provided wifi and listened to the entertainment in the lobby. The desserts are awesome and loved them all!
During the day we would go back to eat breakfast at the buffet, go to the private beach where there was always a seat under a thatched umbrella. The staff would walk around taking drink orders and we took advantage of that. Usually after the beach we would cool off at the pool and eat at the little cafe or the barbecue place and watch the poolside games which were hilarious. The swim up bar was fun and I definitely recommend the mudslides, the riviera maya, or a superman. BE CAREFUL! its very hot, they are very good bartenders and the drinks are included in the all-inclusive so you feel them very quickly. Lets just say i learned the hard way.
*QUICK TIPS*
-There is a dress code for dinner which we were unaware of before arriving. Must dress up and guys are required to wear pants and shoes- no sandals to dinner. Girls should dress nice and no plastic flip flops.
-Tipping- we usually tipped $2 at the buffet and a little more at the Italian restaurant- based on service.
-Its not worth it for the upgraded package with the hot tub on the patio. SOME OF THEM ARE RIGHT BY THE WALKWAY. I know that i would never be out there with people walking by so were were glad we didn't do that. Besides, its way too hot for a hot tub!
-Book an excursion with your activities concierge. We had Juan Manuel and the excursion we went on to Coba was AWESOME. (see altournative review)
-If you ask, they will get you a cab which will take you where you want to go. Ours took us to Playa del Carmen and waited 3 hours for us while we visited the beach and the shops. Just be careful. Ours was speeding and got pulled over and got fined and I think we ended up paying for some of it.
-The water bottles and the minibar in the room are all-included and are replenished daily- TAKE ADVANTAGE!
-Lots of wildlife around. Watch out for the black birds. They will steal your food right off your table if eating poolside. Iguanas will beg for food which was funny. At night the mexican raccoons come out and climb all over the resort. They are afraid of you so don't worry.
-Walk on the beach at sunrise-very peaceful and nobody around.
-Visit the lobby often. There is comfortable seating and its very relaxing with the ocean breeze. They walk around to bring you drinks and there is free wifi up there. At night there is usually some entertainment going on like a guitar player or people dressed as mayan warriors. We spent a lot of time up there just relaxing, it was our favorite spot.
I could go on but you get the idea...

Room Tip: do not opt for the pricier upgrade (unless for free) with the hot tub on the balcony. PEOPLE CAN SEE...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank linm717
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Spring Break 2013 was a success! Five families with children ranging in age from 12 - 18 decided to stay at Ocean Coral and I'm pleased to say it was a great choice. Clean accomodations, plenty to do for everyone. The staff did a good job of getting everyone involved with pool games throughout the day. It was easy to get around and the families felt safe. The pool waitress Jermimia was excellant, always checking to make sure we had what we needed. The service at the crepe restuarant was extremely slow for dinner, but I would highly recommend eating there at lunch for a quick bite without going inside for the sit down buffet. Although it's by the privilege side of the resort you do not have to be privileged to eat there.
I would recommend this property for families. Definately pleased with our choice.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank martyfly

Dear martyfly,
Thank you for choosing our resort for your spring break destination and for sharing your opinions about your stay with us.
It is rewarding to know that our resort meet your expectation and that everyone in our group had an enjoyable time with our variety and offer suitable for all ages. Thank you for recommending our resort to the users and to the families. We look forward your next holiday at our resort.
Best regards,

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We went to Mexico for a wedding and stayed about 9 days, I personally enjoyed every minute of my stay there the staff, food and accomodations were excellent. They have a club for almost every age group and array of A la Cart restaraunts, I only got to try three the Italian Restaraunt was very good, we had to wait awhile for our food but they prepared it right in front of us which was quite entertaining to watch. The Mexican Restaraunt the food was amazing and the Route 66 Restaraunt was a family favorite. I will definately save up to stay there again I love Mexico and The accomodations at the Ocean Coral Turquesa made my stay there that much more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Make sure if you want an Ocean View to specify what kind of Oceanview you want there is partial ocea...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank J1978_12

Dear J1978_12,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your observations regarding your stay at OCT. It was very pleasant to know that you found satisfactory our offer, services, and facilities, and that we were able to provide you with an enjoyable stay.. We hope that you will give us the opportunity of welcoming you one more time at our facilities.
Kind regards,

Reviewed April 8, 2013

First of all I need to thank Mitch from TRAVELGUY.com for referring us to this wonderful resort!! I read alot of reviews about this property, some were not so good but I went there to form my own opinion. THere is absolutely nothing negative that I can say. It was paradise.

RESORT: Gorgeous and perfectly layed out! The lobby was huge and had beautiful couch type seating everywhere with a great bar.

ROOMS: Very large, clean, beautiful decor and comfortable. We had 2 full/queens and a pull out sofa that was loaded with pillows :). Our fridge was stocked with soda, beer and water every day. Our maid Victoria left animals made out of towels on our bed or decorated the beds with a bow made out of the comforter. My daughter could not wait until we came back to our room to see what was new.

FOOD: Delicious! We ate at the buffets that were great for the kids and so delicious for the adults. We went to the Italian and Japanese restaurants that were out of this world. Mike's (coffee place was so realaxing with the best coffee drinks and desserts.)

DAISY CLUB: Amazing! Our kids feel in love with Ursa, Maibritt & Erica. They had so much fun. These girls really knew how to make the kids feel special and keep them entertained ALL DAY LONG!. My daughter cried whens he had to say goodbye to them. We wanted an adult night out so we hired Ursa to keep our kids for 3 hours while we went out. The type of nanny service Ursa,Maibritt and Erica gave our children (4 in all as we travelled with another family) is remarkable. The kids did not want us to come back from out night out! URSA-Gabi misses you so much! I also want to mention Carlos and Obed from the bar. Carlos never let us see the bottom of our cups and Obed kept on feeding us the best nachos and salsa we could ask for!

Check in/out: Quick and easy

Transportation to and from the airport was simple thanks to Mitch from TRIPGUY.com and Lomas travel. We didn't have to do anything but check in with them. They had all of our information which was great because we lost our flight information!

ENTERTAINMENT: so fun! Rodrigo made us laugh at the pool constantly. Monica was a doll keeping exercising fun. Keep smiling pretty lady. The shows at night were so fun. We were only able to attend a couple of them because they were at 9:30 but the one our kids loved was Grease. Erica you rocked a perfect Rizzo. Ursa & Maibritt-our kids were mezmorized see you all day & then seeing you perform! I do not know all of the performers names but they were amazing!

BEACH: the water was so warm, there was some seaweed the 1st day but that was it.The sand was like powder and so clean. We appreciated the hardworking wait staff that were serving us drinks all day. You guys/girls are such hard workers and THANK YOU!

POOLS: so fun and unique. Never a dull moment. They were so big with alot of different types of seats right in the water. You have to reserve your seat earlier in the morning by putting something other than a towel. The resort did a great job of making sure the "toweled" chairs were in use, if not, they would remove the towels to free up the chairs. We always had lounges along what ever pool we decided to stay in.

In closing, we went for Easter break thinking it wold be so crowded but this resort is so perfectly laid out that you would never know that it was completely booked. We can not wait to come back next year. The best vacation we ever had!

Room Tip: We stayed in 11108 & 11107, bottom floor. We didnt have an ocean view but we had a beautiful vie...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Darlene M
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear Darlene M,
We are truly grateful for sharing your post with your observations regarding your last vacations at OCT. It was very pleasant to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities, and also to learn that your kids had a wonderful vacation with our Daisy Club staff and activities. With reward we learn that you found your stay at our resort as one of the best experiences you have ever had. We are thankful for sharing your review with the community. We hope to see you soon.
Bests,

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Just got back 4/1/13 - 4/5/13, really impressive property, I know the hotel was full but it never felt that way. I went with another family (3) we are (5) and the restaurants we very accomodating of a big group. I'm gonna break down my review to 3 sections: Privilege, Pros, Cons, Recap.

Privilege:
The resort is all inclusive but you can upgrade to "privilege" you get top shelf liquor, private lounge and beach area as well as butler service and I believe the upgrade also gets you better room location. I was on the fence but after the fact I am happy I spent the money. The private beach are had a great attendant "Francisco" who made sure we had everything at all times and always greeted us with a smile. The lounge was ok it also served as restaurant and had a nice outside eating area 2 computers with ify internet. But the bar was great with a really good bartender. Rafael was my butler which was helpful because he handled all my dinner reservations (a must do or you might not get seated especially with large group) without me having to leave the beach. If needed towels or different pillows or blanket I told him and it got done.

Pros:
Lobby is impressive had separate check in for "privilege" bar and music at night. Beach is beautiful had some seaweed but we saw tractor cleaning everyday not something I blame on hotel but mention. Plenty of really nice huts, chairs, beds and activity areas. Pools pools pools, I think there were 4 maybe 5 they were all huge and impressive with design qualities like water spouts, water jet seats and built in loung chairs with jet, jacuzzi style seating. Honestly they were awesome only one had a swim up bar. My room because my upgrade hadn't been set before arrival the hotel processed it up arrival and I think because rooms were filled upgraded me to a master suite ocean view. The room was very large more like a double room with a sliding door one side had half bath sofa bed, dinner size table and chairs and tv the other side had a king bed sofa and chairs, tv and a huge bathroom with double sink bath tub and standup shower, honestly the bathroom alone was the size of a small US hotel room by itself. View was spectacular, restaurants we all excellent with food and presentation.

Cons:
Ok this may just be me but when I spend upwards of $600 to upgrade to "privilege" I did not expect to feel like I had to tip on top for everything. Maybe it was a US thing but I did it when I felt it served it butler, beach attendant and maid not in the restaurants because I felt that the service could have been better. Like I mentioned food was great but you waited for it and it came out sporadically I hate to get my food when my wife is waiting or kids get theirs so fast that when you get your you feel rushed. Also with "privilege" you get a lobster/steak dinner one night and it was good but really for the money you should be able to order whatever you want every night. I'd feel better if they just had a separate menu for "privilege" instead of seeing extra pricing for certain menu items it kinda defeats "all inclusive". When you get top shelf liquor it should really also allow for better wine choice for dinner, house wine was terrible with a metallic taste and you only had 2 choice white or red, for the upgrade I would really prefer a choice of. One day we sat at the beach in the non private area closer to my room ("privilege" are mostly in one section but also include all other ocean view rooms in other buildings so you could be as we were in a great room but further from private area) and we felt the beach waiter service in the "privilege" area was much better as it should be but not by that much, I assume the rest of the hotel guests spent good enough money to get better service. Internet wasn't always working and only available through wifi in lobby and coffee shop every where with hard wire but if you are using a mobile device wifi is what counts. We saw 2 shows and they were awful but funny.

Recap:
We can't wait to go back, the place is really beautiful and you can see well designed and very detailed (we saw a guy every day walking around stamping a logo into the sand ash trays, Really!) and really non of the cons were deal breakers in hindsight most of it is small issues. We had a great trip, great staff and a great hotel. My wife is usually the picky one and she loved the place.

Room Tip: long stay upgrade to "privilege" short term might not be worth it. Also for excursions we...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank tvcameraguy

Dear tvcameraguy,
We are grateful for your kind comments regarding your stay at our property. It is pleasant to know that you had a great time at our resort stay and that you found accommodating our facilities, food offer and staff. We truly appreciate the entirety of your remarks regarding the situations that were not of your total satisfaction, which help us to offer a better service and comfort to future guests. We want to thank you for your posting your review and we hope that you will give us the opportunity to host your next vacations when returning to Mexico.
Warm regards,

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband, 2 yr old daughter and I stayed 4 nights in March for my brother-in-law's wedding. We had a large group of about 50 family and friends attending the wedding. The property itself is beautiful and huge. The rooms were spacious but rather dark and strangely decorated for a tropical location.
We dined at the Italian restaurant one night and the steakhouse twice (once on our own and once for the group welcome dinner). We were hugely disappointed in the quality of the food and poor service at the sit down restaurants. Just getting a table was a debacle. I am not a big fan of buffets but if we stayed longer I would have just opted for the buffet for dinner.
My daughter loved the kiddie pool which was a very nice design for children to play in. I love pools with a swim up bar but unfortunately the water was so cold we couldn't even stand to stay on the stools in the water. I would say the bartenders were very friendly and enjoyable but all of the alcoholic mixed drinks were incredibly watered down (as are most at all-inclusives), and the wine was terrible, pretty much forcing you to pay extra to have a decent bottle with dinner.
The wedding itself was beautiful but any wedding on a beach is picturesque. The worst part of the destination wedding at this resort is all of the hassles that my brother and sister-in-law went through in the planning process.
I would not recommend this resort to anyone for a decent sized destination wedding. It seemed that the resort really just couldn't properly handle a wedding of that size. They did nothing for my Bro&Sis even though they brought the resort $50K+ in guests, no room upgrade, no free nights for the "honeymoon", not even a bottle of champagne. They planned a welcome dinner for all the guests at the steakhouse restaurant and the resort tried to charge them $$ per person...this is an all-inclusive resort! And the welcome dinner had a limited menu, so in effect the resort is offering less and charging for it, it made no sense at all.
These types of things are not what a bride and groom should be worrying about. In addition the bride and groom were very unhappy with the DJ at the reception (who asked my husband to MC, not sure why...) and also the photographer/videographer. They ended up not even buying the video because it was so bad. The wedding coordinator seemed very nice but I know that she was very unresponsive up until only a few weeks before the wedding, which can cause a bride unneeded stress as she is planning a wedding.
At the end of our stay we had arranged for a private car to pick us up to drive us to Belize. The private car contacted the hotel in advance and the hotel called and confirmed the arrangements with us. We though everything was going smoothly until we went to the lobby to meet the private car and then the hotel told us that they would not let the private car onto their property to pick us up. So we had to load all of our stuff into a golf cart and drive to the front gate to meet our driver, it was ridiculous.
In addition, the morning of our departure we had the baggage guy come and pick up our bags from our room to hold them at the lobby while we had breakfast. As we packed our bags I specifically remember packing my ipod portable speakers in my carry-on so they would be accessible during our drive...When we were in the car driving to Belize I checked my bag and the speakers were missing. We called the hotel (which is no easy feat to get in touch with them) and reported the theft, they said that they would do nothing and that we would have to go back to Mexico and file a police report.

Bottom line I would not return to this resort and would strongly advice anyone planning a destination wedding to choose another resort.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Hotel Riu Yucatan
Hotel Riu Yucatan
#62 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!