“Nice resort, great staff a few minor problems.”

Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Westford, Massachusetts
“Nice resort, great staff a few minor problems.”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This resort had something for everyone. Four pools provided a variety of activities for everyone. There is a "kiddy poo" for those with little ones, an active pool for those who want to do water aerobics and water volley ball, a "party" pool with a swim up bar and finally a quieter pool (where we spent most of our time. There wast plenty of evening entertainment. We retired early and did not partake but although one could hear the fun in the distance it was not loud enough to keep me up.
Save seats is prohibited, however if you don't stake a claim to a lounge chair early you will not get one. Some people put a towel out early in the am even if they don't intend to use it til later in the day. You may find you have move a towel that has been left unattended if you want to find a seat.

The staff is definitely the resorts best feature. They are all very polite, eager to serve and always smiling and pleasant. Adrian was my favorite as he had a great smile and appeared to love his job.

We did have to put our foot down on a rather pushing sales pitch when we arrived but once we unpacked and hit the beach it was all great. One word of advise, get to your choice restaurants early if you want to be sure to get a table. The buffet is only so-so but the Mexican, Italian and Oriental restaurants were great!

Room Tip: Ground floor might be best if traveling with kids. We were on the third floor, but I didn't min...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chersats
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear chersats,
It is good to learn that you were satisfied with your experience at our resort and to read your comments in regard the kindness of our staff. We are glad to read that we were able to provide you with a large variety of activities and facilities. We are thankful for taking your time to post your experience and we look forward your next vacations at our facilities.
Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,543)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Twin Cities
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Arrived late on a Saturday night and the hotel was overbooked. It had been about 8 hours since I had last eaten and I had a raging headache. We used traffic tours via Ocean Coral to book a ride from the airport and they made us wait about 30 minutes at the airport breathing in diesel fumes and cigarette smoke until they would give us a ride (dropping off others on the way). I was not in a super mood once we got to the front desk. I asked the manager if we could have something to eat before they transferred us to another hotel (30 minutes away). She ignored my question and I was sent off hungry and tired to another hotel.

As an apology for being overbooked they quasi-upgraded us to privilege status. We asked for an ocean view room and got that but we didn't get a privilege room and those amenities. That was ok but we found it odd we couldn't order breakfast room service, only lunch/dinner room service. It was annoying that they upgraded us to a room with two full size beds instead of a king. I feel like we should have been told that when upgrading. We also weren't given the key to our safe. When we asked for it the next day they said that they did give it to us and that if we lost it, it would be $80. We had a mild freak out explaining that we definitely did not get it and it was eventually resolved but MAKE SURE THEY GIVE YOU YOUR KEY AND HOLD ON TO YOUR KEY! It's nice that they have unique locks/keys for the safe. The reason it's $80 to replace is that it's the only key to the save they have. It's nice to have a safe that is...safe.

Privilege is nice when it's for free but I would not pay for it. The top shelf booze is great but regular booze selection was great in itself. You also had to ask for your drinks to be made with the good stuff otherwise you wouldn't get it. That was a bit of a hassle and I wish they would just make a top shelf drink instead of only doing it on request. The restaurant reservations were nice but definitely not perfect. Even booking days in advance, we typically were only offered 6pm or 9pm times. It gave us certainty but isn't as great as it sounds. It did seem like a fiasco to get seated if you were not privilege. The lines before 6pm were so long at people just hoping to eat. That would have stressed me out a lot having to be at their mercy to eat at a restaurant. Most of the time the restaurants were half full. They are horrible at efficiency. Once we ate at 6pm at the table next to us was reserved for a 7:30 reservation. At the flambe restaurant, it took us over 2 hours to have dinner because we didn't even receive our appetizers until 45 minutes into service.

The food was very hit or miss. Most of the fried foods were horrible. The oil temp was not right and they were cold, soggy and oily. The first eggroll my husband tried was frozen on the inside. The fresh chips were drenched in oil. If you got fresh chips, that is. On some days they would just serve lousy bagged tortilla chips. In my opinion, that is a CRIME! Do you have no pride? How can you possibly think to serve lousy totistos-eque chips in MEXICO!?! PS - where is the queso fresco? I do not want melted nacho cheese, I want queso fresco! Some of the food was great, however. The fusion restaurant and japanese restaurants were great. The Italian one was not very good. The no-upcharge filet at the flambe restaurant was really terrific. Often the food was very bland and flavorless. At the buffet, the fruit and salad bar was really excellent and I also loved the fresh pasta bar. The desserts were pretty terrible (bland, boring) and I avoided them. It would have been nice if they had signs next to all the food at the buffet. Some things were labeled but most weren't and I'm rarely going to try something if I have little clue what it is.

No food is allowed by most pools and that stinks. The seagulls swooped down in the quiet pool where food is allowed and so I understand why they don't allow that in other places. It's insane and they poop everywhere. It's just such a bummer not to be able to eat by the pool but it's not worth living in "The Birds" movie while on vacation.

The individual staff members were great but they are very understaffed. They have few waiters by the pool to hand out drinks and I had to get most myself. There are worse things but it was noticeable. I also felt horrible at the restaurants seeing how hard and overworked the waiters were. They were speed walking the entire time we were there. It must be exhausting. It also slows down service and that's another reason why the wait for the restaurants was so long.

The pool towel game was infuriating. Why do they not have staff walking the grounds and removing towels from chairs that have been empty for hours? There are not enough chairs and it's so stressful to play that game. They have signs saying not to save chairs you aren't using but it's ignored. It's a blood battle and my husband got up at 6am every day to try and save us some good seats. The pool and beach cabanas were fantastic. We'd grab one at 6am and they'd be reserved by 6:15am. Then we'd stay there and notice how they'd be empty for 75% of the day. We stayed at our cabana because it was respectful to actually use it so we really did note how much others were being used. The beach was not my favorite. I was prepared for some seaweed but it was pretty bad in my opinion. It was all over the beach no matter how much they raked it was a loud, smelly vehicle. The water was littered with it too. It was like swimming in soup where junk was brushing against you a lot. I'm used to crystal clear carribean water. It didn't ruin our trip but it's something to note if you are picky about that sort of thing. The water was also rough every day we were there. It does not appear to be a good snorkeling/watersports beach.

The noise in our pool view room in bldg 11 was very loud. They turn the main pool into a club most nights and I definitely lost a lot of sleep. I did love the music played at the pools and lounges. The main lobby turns into a fun spot every evening.

Wifi in the lobby is pretty decent. Wifi in the privilege lounge is annoying. It wasn't working a lot and you have to sign in with a complicated password every time. Not much of a perk IMO.

The shows were much less entertaining than I expected. I was expecting a step down from cruise ship shows but it ended up being a half step up from high school productions. Any show with singing is lip synced. The theater speakers are also turned up to a deafening volume. I did enjoy casino night and the prehispanic show was alright. Other than that, eating and drinking were our entertainment.

The rooms are clean, tidy and pretty decent. The bathroom will definitely be an issue for some. If you aren't comfortable with someone seeing you naked or hearing you #2 (the toilet door provides no sound insulation) you will not be comfortable here. If you have to go to the bathroom at night and turn on the light, the whole rest of the room by the beds will illuminate since it's open. I did love that they have artificial fragrance free shampoo, lotion and body wash for those with sensitive skin like me. The toiletries were really nice. To keep your fridge cool, open the cabinet door. Fridges require air circulation to work.

The grounds and facilities at this hotel are very well maintained. It has the look and feel of an upscale hotel.

If you're looking for a great excursion, check out Kantun Centoes. It was fantastic and only $14pp extra from this hotel for transportation.

Overall, it was a nice trip for the price and free upgrade but no, I don't think I'll be back.

Room Tip: If you're in sight of the main pool. It will be very loud in the evenings.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank berned_you
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Great Experience. Lots to do. Awesome food. Clean rooms. Great Service. Would recommend to others.
Tucked away amidst the quiet fishing village of Puerto Morales, this inviting Mexican resort provides the perfect setting for unforgettable tropical getaways. Fronting a beautiful white-sand beach and spectacular coral formations, scuba divers will love exploring the waters surrounding the resort. And with 4 outdoor pools for kids and adults, Jacuzzi's, swim-up bar, an upscale spa and daily activities, guests will run out of time before they run out of fun things to do at this polished oasis. Leave all your everyday worries behind. Everything is ready for you. Try dynamic pools and water-based therapies, including saunas, Scottish showers, jacuzzis, wraps, Turkish baths and the treatments administered by the professional staff.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Tanya C,
We are truly thankful for taking the time to share with us your review regarding your stay in our property. It was very pleasant to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities and that we were able to fulfill your expectations. We hope to see you soon.
Warm regards,
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed February 24, 2013

The entertainment staff Gustavo, Monica, Erica, Gaspar and Juan made our trip lots of fun. They always had great entertainment to do for adults and kids. Monica made sure that everyone was always having enjoying themselves and if not she would go out of her way to make it fun. The staff all around very friendly and made you feel special. Great snorkeling and catamaran rentals right off the beach. the snorkeling was in national park. Would recommend for all ages.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jerren C
Dear Jerren C,
We want to thank you for choosing our resort as your vacation destination. With reward we learn that the good service and friendliness of our entertainment staff was the highlight of your trip. We will be glad to host your next vacations at our property.
Best regards,
dawson, mn.
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this resort Feb.10-17. We arrived 4 hours late because of bad weather from where we were traveling from....so being very exhausted we were hoping for a speedy check in..did not happen!! There was a wedding party of about 60 people in front of us. i mean really?!! They should have a seperate space dor checking in large parties...we waited way over an hour for our room. I have to agree with other posts, when we walked in our room the smell drinkwas awful..we have stayed in quite a few Mexican resorts and are used to the smell...this being the worst. There already was a humidifier in our room. We grabbed some food and fell into bed thinking we were going to ask for a different room in morning. In the daylight and after some much needed sleep, everything seemed better!! We found out the resort had jumped to capacity in the last two days so I am sure no one had been in our room for awhile so no dehumidifier, but after that first day not an issue, just had to dump dehumudifier twice a day. Our room was 5304 and we did really like it. There was as everyong states the battle for chairs..I hate that!!. Weather was great,drinks great,coffee shop amazing,beach amazing, workers amazing...here's the kicker...only had a few good meals. That was dissappointing.Wil probaly choose a different resort next year.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank markgary
Dear markgary,
We are thankful for giving us the opportunity to host your last vacations and for sharing on this site your experience at our resort. With reward we learn that you were satisfied with our Mike’s Coffee, beverage offer and beach. Furthermore that you appreciated the friendliness of our staff. However, with a great regret we read that some aspects of your stay were not of your total satisfaction. Rest assure that we will notify your suggestions to the appropriate departments for their proper follow up and improvement of our performance.
Kind regards,
Long Island, NY
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Our group of 8 (ages 13-50) visited Ocean Coral 2/16-2/23. This was the 12th all inclusive for all of us so we have something to compare it to. We had some concerns based on a few of the reviews but all turned out to be unfounded.

We booked Privilege and would definitely recomend this. The private lounge/restaraunt, beach area, dinner reservations, and butler all made our trip truly special. Rooms were great with none of the issues some mentioned with moisture/humidity. Restaraunts all very good to excellent. I would rate them Fusion first, followed by Italian, Japanese, Mexican, and Creperie. Route 66 was perfect for late night (early morning) burgers, wings, ribs and fries. Try to book the Private Chef Table in the kitchen. It is not to be missed! Beach is beautiful and long. Yes, some fine seaweed but it is cleaned up regularly. Bartenders are amazing and always remember your drink.

The staff are what put our trip over the top. Alejandro, Franscisco, Nefta, Veronica, Enrigue, and Gaspar treated us like family. I know I have forgotten more then a few names but everyone we encountered went out of there way to help us or see if we needed anything. Tips are truly appreciated and were well deserved.

Take a walk into Peurto Morales (just under an hour). There are a few public bars on the beach along the way that were great for a quick beer or snack. Once in town there are plenty of restaraunts and shops. Their is a local bar/restaraunt on the water (wish I could remember it's name) that was incredible. It is decorated with professional wrestling signs, masks, ect. and a little rough around the edges but food and staff were a "10". Plan on taking a taxi back after way too much food ($20USD).

I can't really comment on what non-Privilege would be like. There were definitely waits at the restaraunts and the usual towel game at the pools and beach. I don't think it would be enough of an issue to not recommend but just know that their are two levels of service available.

Go, have fun, and don't read too much into any of the negative reviews.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank X2relax
Dear X2relax,
We truly appreciate that you have taken your time to share your kind comments regarding our Privilege services and staff, and the great vacation experience that you and your family had at our resort. Thank you for your recommendations. We will be glad to welcome you again on your next visit to the Mayan Riviera.
Warm regards,
Ottawa
Reviewed February 24, 2013

After years of traveling I have come to approach hotels almost like people. First impressions mean a lot. When you get that first look at the entrance as you turn the corner do you grin from ear to ear, stunned by exotic beauty and anxious to get to know the place better, or do you get that slightly sketchy feeling that you spend the rest of the time trying to get over? I've had a few of both, and far prefer those times when I have wandered through a property gasping at its beauty, to those when I kept trying to convince myself that the place was really not that bad.
The Ocean Turquesa (OT) is clearly in the former category. It boasts the wide-open lobby, massively high ceilings, and marble terraces overlooking a turquoise sea, that have come to characterize some of the Caribbean's most beautiful properties. The "we made the right choice" impression continued as we made our way through carefully tended gardens to one of the ground-floor master suites at the far end of the very large compound. The grounds are spotless and over the course of the week we would see staff at all hours sweeping, trimming, washing, and generally making sure that everything was in its place. I found the room decorations a little dated but many of the members of our large group thought that they were fine. You will read a lot about a picture window that separates the bathrooms from the main bedroom area. It is indeed a little quirky, but it does allow for the window view across to the sea to permeate every corner of the room.
We had a large group and I would venture to say that the experience of the hotel itself, varied greatly depending on room choice and location. Seasoned travelers will know the difference between “ocean view” and “ocean front” rooms. The first typically offers an offset room with an angled view of the water. The second means that you have the waves at your feet. At the OT, the only ocean front rooms appeared to be reserved for those travelers who had opted, as we had, for the “Privilege” package. I would strongly recommend that if you plan on a stay at the OT, you pay the extra bucks for the upgrade to Privilege membership. The best place to have a coffee and breakfast is on the terrace reserved for Privilege club members. It is outside, feet from the Caribbean Sea, and shaded by tall palms. It is exactly where you picture yourself relaxing over your morning coffee when you look at the brochures. It should be available to everyone at the hotel, but it is not.
The only early morning choice for non-privilege members was the main buffet, which was a lot like having breakfast in the underground cafeteria of a downtown office building. There were large windows that did not open, and multiple doorways that were steadfastly closed against the warm tropical breezes that we northerners all paid to have waft across our faces. The OT should really make the effort to open the buffet to the elements whenever possible.
The beach is one of the better ones that we have experienced on the Mayan coast. This area of the Yucatan Peninsula is home of the second largest reef in the world and while the snorkeling is great, there is often coral as soon as you step into the water. It was a pleasant surprise that the OT has several areas where the swimming is excellent.
Food was characteristically good and varied. The buffet had its restrictions as described above. The OT also has a wonky policy of only allowing restaurant reservations for Privilege members, so everyone else was seen lining up at one of the 4 or 5 restaurants at 5:30 or so, trying to book a table for some point later in the evening. It is an unnecessary inconvenience and ought to be abandoned.
The hotel makes the effort to tell travelers that they cannot hold on to a beach chair forever by simply placing their towels on the chair at the crack of dawn and then leaving for the day. In spite of this the practice continued and by 7 a.m. all of the loungers were choked with blue towels. I was pleased to see that the beach security patiently explained the policy to two irate, if not tardy, sunbathers who arrived at noon to find their towels lying in the sand, and (what they believed to be) their personal chairs actually being used by other people on the beach. More hotels should, in my opinion, follow the same policy.
So the Ocean Turquesa is good value for the money. The Pros are the location, the food, and the property itself. The Cons are not being a Privilege member, the location of the main buffet, and, just in passing, the very unpleasant cigar-selling lady who was incredibly irritated if you asked any questions about her product.

Room Tip: Book on either end of the horseshoe structure but not in the middle if you do not want the familiar...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Mike V
Dear Mike V,
We are glad to learn that you enjoyed our facilities and offer, also that you had a satisfactory experience at OCT. We must say that we consider that your review would be really helpful for other travelers that are looking forward to visit our resort and we truly appreciate that you have taken the time to post it in this site. We hope that when returning to Riviera Maya, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you once again in our property.
Best regards,
Moon Palace Cancun
#22 of 175 in Cancun
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!