“Very nice resort with wonderfull staff”

Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ranked #13 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Campbell River, Canada
“Very nice resort with wonderfull staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

This resort was wonderfull, from the moment we arrived to the day we left the staff could not do enough for us they are very friendly: saying hello, making sure everything was okay and even stiking up a conversation. The resort was very well maintained, very clean and you could see the ground staff took pride in there work. The first day we arrived it was in the early evening so we went to the buffet for dinner the food was okay however the next night we went to one of the restaurant, the dinner excellent the service was great,we were very impressed.Every night after that we tried the other restaurants they all served great food and great service. This resort caters to everyone they have a kids pool,activity pool, party pool and even a quiet pool area . what is great is the way they have it set up you cannot hear the other pools and each area has its own snack bar. The only thing that I found odd was the Mike's coffee bar and the coffee bar in the main lobby did not open til 8:00 am or later what is with that most people I know are on their 2nd or 3rd by then. oh yes one more thing when they tell you that you have an ocean view room they should mention that you have to look through a bunch of palm trees to get a glimps of the beach

1 Thank dwalte56
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear dwalte56,
It is gratifying to learn that your stay at our resort was wonderful. With reward we learn that the hard work and friendliness of our staff was one of the highlights of your trip and also that you found our resort suitable for all the tastes of our guests. We are truly grateful for your taking your time to post your experience and for chosing our resort. We hope to see you soon.
Bests,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,475)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

We were very disappointed with this hotel. We had paid for a deluxe ocean view room but only had a view of trees and the hotel refused to return the difference between a regular room and an ocean view room. Basically the majority of this hotel looks out onto trees. You can't see the ocean on all four floors of many of the buildings. The food was average to poor. I always look forward to fruit in the islands but the fruit provided was really poor quality and not very sweet. We had dinner in the steakhouse one night and half of the menu requires an additional cost. We decided to have lobster and t-bone steaks. There was a $44 charge for the lobster. I received three langoustine tails which totaled about 4 bites of lobster. When I asked the waiter about it he said he noticed how small it was too and so they brought me another tail. Five bites of lobster for $44. Don't waste your money on this. The one good thing I can say is the people who work here are all very nice. And believe the other reviews. The beds are hard as a rock.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank TravelAddict0715
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear TravelAddict071,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review about OCT. It is good to read that the friendliness of our staff was the highlight of your trip. However, with regret we learn that you found your stay disappointing and that you encountered the mentioned inconveniences during your stay. We like to inform that each resort has its own politics regarding the category of rooms and views. We lament that you perceived that the view you received in your room was not the adequate. In regard to your comment about the quality of our food offer, please allow us to inform that our gastronomical offer was elaborated taking in consideration the diversity of our guests, furthermore the level of satisfaction obtained concerning the quality and variety of our food services has always been high, according to the guests satisfaction questionnaires. About the extra charges at restaurants, we like to inform hat we have certain products in our restaurant offer that are not included in the All Inclusive Programs and have an extra charge, which are clearly identified in the menus, and is the customer’s decision to order them or not. We are thankful for sharing your comments, which give us the opportunity to improve our performance.
Kind regards,
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

I wasnt blown away by this resort. The food was average at the buffet. The al a carte restaurants were very difficult to get into. The italian restaurant usually had a one and a half hour waiting list. The restaurants all seemed to suffer revolving random closures due to a shortage of staff. We were promised access to the Italian restaurant for the wedding banquet. When we arrived we were told it was not available because a larger wedding party also wanted the restaurant. Their explanation was too bad they are 250 guests we were 25 guests if you dont like it too bad. The power went off briefly every night. The resort was clean and the rooms were very nice. The beach was good for swimming. The staff put on a live performance of Grease that was very well done. The gym was very small but the eauipment was in good shape. The younger crowd in our group all had a great time at the resort. The whole wedding party jumped into the pool at the conclusion of the wedding festivities, wedding dress, tuxes and all. The other guests all seemed to enjoy that spectacle.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Paul L
Ottawa, ON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

Like a previous reviewer I would like to rate this resort as a 3.5.

We were at this resort for a destination wedding so we were not involved in our choice. Arrival and reception was good and since we arrived after 3:00PM a room was ready. However their were no King rooms available so they offered two doubles pushed together. The cocierge was longwinded over the facilities and tried to push the "tour" for the time share program.

The room was large, clean and well appointed except for the fridge which did nothing but slightly cool the drinks. AC was noisy but we did not need it at night. We found the staff friendly and helpful but shortstaffed in some areas namely the lobby bar. Juan is exceptional at the "Quiet Pool". We misunderstood this pool to be adult only but we were mistaken. On two morning several families made it anything but quiet. We also noticed that salt and pepper shackers were missing on most breakfast tables.

There was a good choice of food but much of it was tepid at best. We found in the morning that the warming plates were barely warm and much of the food there was cold. The reservation system for the restaurants is peculiar to say the least. They will not take reservation until the restaurant is full then they give you a beeper and you wait until called. Some people got beepers to two locations and went to the one that came up first.

The beach is well maintained, seaweed removed daily, and great to walk. All pools are large and well maintained. The garden areas are beautiful and are being expanded. Great attention has been taken to protect the ecology.

We like adult only properties so we wouldn't go back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Dennis B
Dear Winddancerone,
It is with reward that we learn that you appreciated our effort to conserve our ecology. Since our resort is eco-friendly and certified by ecological institutions, we implemented actions in order to preserve our natural environment. However it is with a great regret to learn that you were not totally satisfied with your stay. In regard to the size of the beds, we like to inform we were not able to assign you to a king size bed room since the assignment is made upon availability and departure, and our resort had a high occupancy. Furthermore, as you mentioned on your post, we can always push the beds together in order to provide you a more comfortable stay. In regard to your comment about the fridge in the room, please allow us to inform that its function is only the conservation of the products, not its cooling. We truly appreciate your observation regarding the temperature of the food at the buffet restaurant. Regarding our dinning system, please allow us to inform that our restaurants function on a first come first serve basis in order to give everyone the opportunity to dine were preferred. We are thankful for your comments and hope that you will give us the opportunity to host your vacations when traveling with your family.
Bests,
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

I haven't been traveling that much so I could do a huge comparison between many hotels. Nonetheless, I recognize a great resort!
The resort itself was a spectacular place, nice rooms, four beautiful pools, amazing beach and the restaurant area reminded me of a small village. I also liked the sports possibilities; the gym was well-equipped and the tennis court was in good condition although I wasn't in so good condition after tequila.
It was always a pleasure to go on a breakfast, good selection of food and lots of variation everyday. The restaurants were good, high standard in all of those. Sensai-restaurant and the Mexican place were our favorites because of the staff there. They put up quite a show with their skills.
But the thing what really made our holiday was the entertainers! They were always happy, joking around and energetic. Their shows were invariably lots of fun and the pool activities made my hangovers go away! Special thanks to mr. Carlos Yamazaki and to ms. Monica Madrid whom really stepped up from the awesome group of entertainers. They are already one reason to go in this resort! I highly recommend this place for all kind of travelers!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jay_4_44_188644
Dear Jay_4_44_188644 ,
We really appreciate your thoughtful comments regarding the beauty of our facilities, our restaurant and entertainment offer and the friendliness of our staff. It is rewarding to learn that your experience at our resort was totally satisfactory. We look forward to host your next vacations.
Best regards,
near Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

I did not know how to write this review. I thought a lot about it and I decided to divide it into two groups, pros and cons. I wanted to be honest and even though I liked OCT and would return, there were a lot of things that would bother a lot of people. Because these things did not bother us doesn't mean that I should not write them in a review because these things add up to less than stellar service and that could be a decision maker for someone trying to decide on this resort or another.

If you have read any of my other reviews on this or other sites you will know that I am, usually, gushing about the resorts where we stay. This was our 16th different resort in the Riviera Maya where we have vacationed. Some places we have stayed more than once so, I have made a lot of trips to this area.

All in all the good outweighed the bad, by far. However, it was baffling to see such a wonderful resort with so many small glitches that other resorts don't have. This resort could be out of this world excellent with little effort. After you read the cons you will see that most of them wouldn't cost the resort very much to fix.

In spite of the less than stellar service, we did have a wonderful time. Most of the cons were not anywhere near enough to cause us to feel that this was not a good resort. In the interest of being fair with my review, I had to include them even though we are easy going types that little things don't bother.

One more thing about this review: I did not know how to rate it with those green circles that you must decide upon. I decided that since the good outweighed the bad, I would give OCT a 4 green circle. But, I wish there was a 3 1/2. Three and one half seems better to me. That would be somewhere between good and very good.

PROS--
Great rooms.

Good to excellent food.

Good service in ala cartes.

Beautiful beach -- I'm talking about the sand part here. It's long for walking and easy to walk. The sand it light in color and soft as powder. I realize some people don't like the color of the water in this area. I thought it was fine. It was not as spectacular as some other areas but, certainly, it was not a bad color.

Very clean resort. In fact, I would say that the public spaces were some of the cleanest in all of our trips to Mexico.

Good service at the pool bar on both the wet and dry side.

Well trained and caring staff.

Beautiful grounds
Good waiter service at the lobby bar.

Alcoholic choices were fine without upgrading.

Food in the buffet was good to great.

CONS--
Not enough loungers on the beach--I'm not talking about not enough in the shade, I'm talking about not enough anywhere on the beach. The towel game was in full force and people brought loungers from the pool area down to the beach each day. At the end of the day the resort workers brought them back to the pool. The whole thing would start over the next morning.

You will not be asked if you would like coffee every morning at the buffet
Every morning for seven mornings the table we sat at for breakfast had no salt shaker. Now, I am certainly not above getting up and finding a salt shaker but, how much would it cost the resort to get a few more?

No cream for coffee in rooms--When I asked the maid for cream or dry creamer she told me that I had to go to reception to get it because the maids did not carry it on their carts. I filled an empty water bottle with some cream from the buffet and kept it in our refrigerator.

Long waits for dinner. However we learned to play the game and turn our name in about an hour to one and one half hour before we wanted to eat at certain ala cartes.

Very long wait at lobby bar to get a drink. There was just not enough staff at this bar in the afternoon or evening. The staff at this bar worked very hard but, if there are not enough staff, things can't get done in a timely way.
The waiter service on the beach was next to nonexistent. Once again, I believe that this was caused by not enough waiters on the beach.

We ate every lunch at the snack bar and out of seven lunches we were asked if we would like a drink on three days. Of course, there is a soft drink machine that is self-serve but, when you'd like a beer or wine, soda just doesn't cut it.

4 Thank max2
Dear max2,
We would like to thank you for sharing your comments on this site. It is very pleasant to read that overall, you had a good experience on your first visit to our resort. On the other hand, we lament that some aspects of your stay were not of your total satisfaction. In regard to your observation about the pool and beach chairs, please allow us to inform that our resort does not encourage its reservation, on the contrary, the towels used for reserving pool chairs are retired by the members of our staff after 2 hours if any guest is using it. In addition, we count with signals at the entirety of the pools, which help to alleviate this inconveniences. Regarding your observation about the lack of cream for the coffee in the rooms, we like to inform that our guests can contact our Room Service or our Operator in case they need this type of requirement. We lament that you found our wait staff inconsistent, be sure that we are implementing corrective measures in order to alleviate this situation. We hope to see you again for your next vacations to our country.
Bests regards,
Chicopee, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

this was our only time off this past year. Money well spent. Juan at the relax pool is The bartender to see. Things i noticed that made an ipression on me....All staff made eye contact and said hello....someone was always around to ask if you needed anything. When we booked there was a free upgrade upon request to an ocean view room....we recieved it with out asking again at check in. Keep in mind the set up of the resort does not have a straight shot view of the ocean. The staff at the dive it hut were great and made or water activies even more fun. We loved the "66" dinner. All the food was good. The wet area at the spa was very relaxing and the massage I recieved was fantastic. This is a family freindly resort, Alot of kids. Helpful and freindly staff and we did not exsperiance a pushey sales pitch. they asked if we were interested in the tour we said no they said thank you and enjoy your stay.

2 Thank cardinalFloors
Dear cardinalFloors, T
hank you for sharing your review about OCT with the community. It is very gratifying to learn that you had an awesome experience at our property. We look forward your next visit.
Warm regards,
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#4 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,732 reviews

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!