“Nice Resort”

Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I had bought the privilege package for our stay at Ocean Coral. I stayed there in July 2012 with my boyfriend. I'll just go over a few things at the privilege perspective:

Rooms: The regular privilege rooms were all gone so they upgraded us a corner ocean front room. The view was amazing and our balcony was huge, but because it was a corner suite, we didn't have the outdoor jacuzzi. We were in building 7 next to the privilege pool and right behind the privilege beach so it was very quiet. Room were clean and massive! We had two bathrooms - the one beside the outside door was handy when we had to take a quick bathroom break from the beach. We also had two sitting areas, one in the front we never used or even turned one the TV, the other we used to put our clothes and presents on. Beds were a bit stiff, but I like a firm mattress.

Pools: I didn't find a bad pool. We didn't go into the kids pool though which seemed very loud. The activities pool is definitely the most fun. The temperature of the water was perfect too, just a little bit of heat so you didn't lose your breath when you jumped in.

Bars: Long waits. Every time. It was quicker to grab a drink from the other side of the bar than wait for the pool bar. The lobby bars also had a long wait unless you were grabbing a drink at noon.

Restaurants: Every one was awesome! We were able to make reservations because we were privileged guests, but often didn't and had no problem getting a table. The tiramisu in the cafe was awesome! The privilege lounge was great for breakfast, but it as a horrible musty smell. A bit hard to get used to when you first arrive.

The only downside was the heat in this hotel. The lobby doesn't have AC and it seemed the only way you could escape the heat was either in your room or in the gift shop. Otherwise the hotel was good.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank rebecca_lay
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

We want to express our gratitude for your comments regarding your last visit to our facilities. It is good to learn that you found satisfactory the hole vacation experience at our resort and also that you enjoyed with our Privilege services. We appreciate your remarks regarding the bars and lobby area, which will be extended to the proper departments. We will be more than glad to welcome you one more time at OCT.
Kind regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (11,814)

Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed for 7 nights and such an incredible time at this all inclusive resort.
A few of our highlights:
- The hotel is beautiful. You can tell that the people who clean and take care of the buildings and grounds work very hard because everything was clean and perfectly manicured.
- The Staff: from the kitchen staff, to the bartenders, the coffee shop workers, entertainments staff, house keeping and servers.... everyone was wonderful. It seemed as if the staff never stopped working!!!!!! Wow! I especially appreciated Rocito and Yelalfonso (Im sure im spelling these names wrong) in the coffee shop (Rocito makes the best iced latte Ive ever had) and YelAlfonso had perfect customer service. Gustavo at the bar was quick, friendly and anticipated the needs of the guests he was serving. Denise on entertainment staff had endless energy and I watched as she made every guest she came in contact with feel known. These are some standouts but ALL of the staff was AWESOME!
- The weather is incredible this time of year (Mid September)...it did rain on day so we headed to the spa. Again, great staff and great facilities. We enjoyed the Sauna, Steam Room, Whirl Pool, and Jacuzzi! We had great massages.
- The food was GREAT! The mexican food place was our favorite (we asked for chips and salsa instead of the appetizer...that was a great choice. They had GREAT margaritas.
-The Lounge was so much fun at night and was a great place to check internet during the day! Great view!
- Drinks were great.
- The BEACH was AWESOME! We enjoyed warm water and sat for hours under our umbrella reading our book.

Constructive criticism:
- The wine is awful so if you like good wine....bring your own.
- Motion sensors in the room make it a bit hard to sleep at night. I wish we could have turned them off some how. (maybe we could and we just didn't know)
- The jacuzzi in the spa could have been a little warmer.

Overall I give the place a 9.7, we definitely hope to get back there soon.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank faithgf
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your observations regarding your stay in our property. It was very pleasant to know that we provided you with an incredible stay and that you enjoyed our services and facilities. Also. that you truly appreciated the friendliness, kindness and hard work form our staff. Thank you for your suggestions, which give us the opportunity to improve our performance and help us to provide our guests with an excellent experience. We look forward to welcome you one more time to our facilities.
Best regards,

Reviewed September 26, 2012

If I haven't said it clearly enough, I will say it again: This Resort is the Best Resort I Have Been, EVER. My daughter and I just returned from a week at my home-away-from-home, September 16-23. We had a wonderful holiday, and had a wonderful time.

The waitresses Veronica and Blanca remembered me from my first time, and continued to make me feel special, remembering my drink choice, and always making sure I had everything I wanted.

The entertainment staff were phenomenal, as Gustav's team included Didier, Israel, Hugo, Denisse, Roxy, Nellie and Raul. During the day they made everyone welcome and busy and in the evening put on a show that would rival anything in Vegas. Once again, I applaud you all at this resort, well.

Dare I say it? I will return again ... and again ... and again. Thank you everyone at Coral & Turquesa for making this vacation another very special one.

Room Tip: Anything on the ground floor suits me just fine, Buildings 7 and 8 are near the Adult Pool, my prefe...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank TheotheCat

We are thrill to read your comments regarding your fourth stay at our resort. It is satisfactory to learn that we have been able to make you feel like home through the years. Thank you for your kind comments about our personnel, be sure that we will extend your gratitude to the mentioned members of our staff. We are thankful for your loyalty and trust, and for taking the time to share your review. Rest assure that we will be pleased to welcome you for the fifth time to this, your home.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Words cannot describe how much of an amazing trip I had. My mom had been to this hotel 3 times before I even came. This vacation was time for me to kick back and relax and have a stress free week. I didn't expect much but when I got there I totally understood why she always bragged about it. Since I've gotten home I have not stopped listening to Spanish music and practicing my Spanish. I miss the resort already and all my friends that I met there.
The hotel is beautiful and very a welcoming staff when we first arrived. The staff was very friendly and very knowledgeable once we got settled in.
To start off the food was as more than I even expected, beautiful displays and tasteful. The wait staff were awesome as well, they knew you by your name which made you feel really welcoming. Blanca, one of the waitresses was very friendly and always stopped and asked me how I was. To go on about staff, the entertainment staff were EXCEPTIONAL! I liked that both the managers of the activity staff were also included in doing the activities with the employees and guests (they played volleyball and ping pong with me) Gustavo and Didier are very awesome and friendly. More about the entertainment staff, Hugo, Israel, Roxanne, Nelly, Raul, Denisse and Erica are awesome entertainment staff during the day and of course in the night when they put on the theatre performance at 9:30. They are all fun to talk to and I really like how they participate in the activities and also want to get to know you (they all knew me by my first name, anytime I walked by they always said hello to me and asked me how I was). Ivan and Oscar at the towel station are also very friendly and such a treat to have met. They also were involved in the activities, playing soccer tennis and water volleyball.
Also, the theatre at 9:30 is when they have their nightly show. I think my favourite would have bee Grease. It was phenominal. As well as Israel when he replicated Michael Jackson in the Stars Night. Raul is an amazing coreographer. All of the staff look like they have so much fun! I was in the Disney show and thats how I started to get to know the staff and I'm very glad I did. And I was also in the Mexican show when the old men made me dance on stage! The staff made me feel really comfortable (ex karoke in the lobby which I would never do or being on stage)
During the whole day they had photographers going around with monkeys, tropical birds and iguana's that you could take photos with and every staff member that walked by me always said hello, which I really enjoyed.
I didn't even want to go on vaction and when the week was over I cried because I didn't want to leave. They made me feel so welcome and it broke my heart to leave. I have a connection with the staff that I will treasure forever.
If i had to rate this hotel overall I would give it a 12/10. I plan on going back November and I just came back 2 days ago (Sept 16-23)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank pellegrino32

We want to thank you for choosing our resort for your vacations. With reward we learn that we were able to provide you with an amazing experience, furthermore that our entertainment staff was the highlight of your trip. Thank you for posting your experience. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

I was here for 3 nights a couple of weeks ago. I was there with three other friends and we upgradedto "Priveledge" status. We paid for pickup at the airport but upon arrival, we did not see our car. Needless to say, we took a cab (roughly $60 USD) to the hotel. The staff seemed nice enough but as the days go on, they told us that they can't do anything for us regarding the taxi since they didn't receive our email. We paid an extra $400 total for this upgrade and there is nothing you can do? Basically, when you ask for anything more, the answer is a NO!

Finally, I got tremendous bites on my legs so I was so afraid they were bed bugs. The manager said he would check and email me since we just checked out and were on the way back home. Of course, NO RESPONSE after I emailed twice. Is this what "Priveledge" service get you?? I will never come back to this hotel.

Food was just mediocre. Overall for the price, go somewhere else!!!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
9  Thank Pauline N

We want to thank you for choosing our resort for your vacations. It is with regret that we read your comments about your stay at our facilities. In regard to your remark about the pick-up form the airport, we like to enlighten that this service is provided by an external business which is a concession of the resort, OCT is not responsible of the transactions made between this business and the customers. However, it is important to mention that you were assisted by our Guest Service and Privilege Manager regarding this matter and he personally brought you with the representatives of this company in order to help you with this inconvenience. Regarding your comment about the bites, we like to inform you that indeed, an inspection of the 2 rooms in which you and your friends were hosted was made, and we found no evidence of bed bugs in the room, furthermore, you were the only one with bites from your group of 4 people. We will be more than glad to send you more information regarding this matter. As you did not provide us with any email address or phone number, we kindly ask you to contact us at the following email address: rrpp.hpc@h10.es. Thank you for taking your time to share your experience.
Kind regards,

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed at the OCT 21 August to 4 September 2012. Travelled with First Choice/Thomson. 2 adults,1 child.

First impressions - greeted with a nice cooling fruit punch drink. Check in was quick and easy and all my requests had been met, such as a room on a high floor with ocean view etc.

Room - whilst very nice, I think the photos make the rooms look far better than they are. They are large and roomy, but not very bright. Bed, hard but very comfortable. The room was very humid even with the air conditioning on, and we asked for a humidifier which helped enormously. It did need emptying about 3 times per day, but was a great improvement. Always plenty of fresh towels provided and fridge replensished regularly. Bathrooms take some getting used to. the glass to the shower and the toilet is opaque, so you cant see through them anyway, but like I say takes a bit of getting used to with no locks on the doors.

Food - the american restaurant was never open whilst we were there, we had previously been told that on our second week, at lease one of the restaurants would be closed each night due to less staff/guests etc, however, like i say, this one was never open. The other restaurants were open regularly. We tried the italian and it was lovely, although limited choice on the outdoor eating menu. Most of the time we ate in the buffet restaurant simply because this suited our needs better. The food in the buffet restaurant was as you would expect, better at some times than others. The salads were always exceptional. I would say that there are not sufficient choices for kids in the buffet. I was told that the japanese restaurant was fabulous but we didnt try it as they dont allow kids in under 14. We never tried the french restaurant.

Pools - we tried the pool with the bar, but found this too noisy and rowdy, so we spent most of our time at the activitiy pool where there was more going on for kids that are older than toddler age, but younger than teenager. The kids pool was too tame for my son and the quiet pool or the hangover pool as some call it was too quiet! Service for drinks around the pool was always very good and timely. The music and games were a bit samey, but that was fine and as you would expect.

Beach - the beach does suffer from seaweed, but not the great big slimy stuff you imagine, its more like thick grass cuttings! The hotel do a great job several times per day of clearing the seaweed. If you are looking for the perfect pure white sand beach and azure blue clear sea, then this is not the place for you. The sea as you would expect is lovely and warm, however, it is very cloudy due to the coral reef.

Staff - all the staff we encountered at OCT were very friendly, polite and always happy to help. I never once, got the impression that they expected tips on a regular basis but were always grateful when offered a tip. We were made to feel very welcome in every area of the hotel and in particular the restaurants. Service was always with a smile and in a cheerful manner.

Wildlife - we very much looked forward to see all the iguana's particularly on a morning when going for our breakfast. The hotel allowed us to release the baby turtles into the sea on the Tuesday evening of our second week, which was very special, particularly for the kids. They then allowed the kids to name their turtle and awarded a certificate.

Location of the hotel - Slap bang in the middle between Cancun and Playa del Carmen, 32km in either direction. I dont suppose it would make a difference where in this area the hotel was located given that it is mangrove jungle behind and you wouldnt really spend much time going out of resort in any event.

Trips- Word of advice, travellers with Tui are advised to take Mexican Peso, which is fine, it is their currency, however, Tui advertise all their trips in resort in American dollars, which by the time you have converted it to mexican peso and then back to sterling, the same trip costs you more than the advertised price on their own website in sterling! I raised this with resort rep, who gave some explanation of the american dollar being a more stable currency etc, however, they are contradicting their own advice by advising you that mexican peso is preferred but then pricing in US dollar. If I were to go again, I would take a mixture of both US dollar and mexican peso and I would book and pay for trips before going out. For a great value snorkelling trip, take a walk on the beach to the left for about 200 yards to a local guy who will take you out for 2 hours snorkelling, all equipment and a bottle of water provided and a fantastic book on dive mexico, all for £30 US dollars (ask for Isobel)

All in all, this is a lovely resort and particularly good for families. We had a great holiday.

Would we go back - no, but only because there are so many other places in the world to see.

Oh yes, dont forget your exit tax, 800 peso each, even for kids and has to be paid in cash at the airport before you check in!!!

Room Tip: Email the hotel and tell them your requirements before you leave home, they are very accommodating w...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Jo M
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

We are grateful for your kind comments regarding your stay at our property. It is pleasant to know that you had a delightful stay and that you found enjoyable our restaurants and food offer. In regard to your remark about our American Restaurant, we will like to inform your that it will be closed during September due to renewal works in order to provide you a better service. We are thankful for your suggestion regarding the food variety for kids, rest assure that your comments will be extend and analyze by the Food and Beverages Management. We want to thank you for your recommendations and we hope that you will give us the opportunity to host your next vacations when returning to Mexico.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

This past week (Sep 19,2012 - Sep 23,2012) My girlfriend and I took a 5 day vacation and stayed at Ocean Coral & Turquesa. Let me start by saying, it was one of the best vacations I've ever been on. When we first started looking into booking our trip, we chose a general location (Mexico) and then decided to look at the reviews of different hotels, along with the pictures to help make out decision. (Sidenote: look at the VISITOR PHOTOS not just the professional ones, this way you can see the real life experience of those that have been there.) We narrowed it down to 2 different hotels, Ocean Coral being one of them, and after reading all of the reviews, made our choice indefinitely.

When we first got the the hotel, pulling up was exactly as we had seen in the pictures. We were greeted right away and welcomed with a cocktail of our choice. From the easy check-in, we were given a brief tour and handed a map of the hotel as well. (it is a really large resort and the first day it was a lot to take in, but luckily our room, 16105, was next to EVERYTHING. The beach, the pool, the lobby, theater, and spa. It was awesome) The room also looked just like the pictures. Don't be mistaken it's not dated at all, it's just Mexico so the style is true to the culture with a lot of stucco and tile.

The restaurants were amazing. The hibachi wasn't my favorite meal, but the buffet was pretty awesome every day.

The beach does have a bit of seaweed, but once you get past it, the water is just as impressive as any other island. Clean and clear with incredibly soft sand. ( I should warn you though, there are SOME jellyfish)

The shows at the theater we're really great entertainment, and the spa had awesome packages to offer and we took advantage of a couples massage for $80 minutes. Alma was amazing and I fell asleep a few times out of true relaxation. (But I must give credit to Eduardo who walks around offering 5 minute massages and then sweeps you off your feet and gets you to book for the next open appointment!)

The best thing about this already wonderful stay, was the AMAZING STAFF. The bartenders (especially Juan at the drunk pool) we're too nice. The entertainment (this is an all day crew. they do all the activities ranging from the shows, to water aerobics, as well as bingo and yoga) Isreal was awesome and everyone was so friendly!

Another thing, all of the non motorized sports are included so we decided on a whim to take out the kayak and just threw on the life vests and grabbed one of the boats that are sitting on the beach waiting to be taken out! It was pretty beautiful and definitely a perk to the resort.

Here is something I want to tell all potential travelers, the premium package IS NOT NECESSARY unless you are staying at a really popular time of the year. The hotel was super quiet this week and we didn't miss one dinner, or have to wait AT ALL. Plus there was no need for the butler service since there is always someone walking around offering drinks on the beach and taking orders for the bar.

All in all, the stay was amazing, the staff wonderful, and the hotel and vacation lived up to our expectations 100 %. Thank you!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Lee Lee E

It is with reward that we read your comments regarding your experience at our resort, which you and your girlfriend found satisfactory. It is good to learn that your expectations were fulfilled by our facilities, and also that you appreciated the performance of our personnel. We extend our gratitude for taking your time to share your opinion. We will be glad to welcome you again on your next vacations.
Best regards,

#2 of 28 in Puerto Morelos
Grand Residences Riviera Cancun
Grand Residences Riviera Cancun
#1 of 28 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!